How many weeks before a baby can survive? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 04-18-2007, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read some place that at 24 weeks twins have a chance to survive out side the womb. Is this true? And is it the same for single babies? Do twins grow a little quicker in the womb?
Just wondering.
Thanks,
Shawnii
#2 of 18 Old 04-18-2007, 10:10 AM

obviously the longer they stay in the better and the more problems they will have, lungs, heart, etc the eariler it is.
I believe 36 is generally when they no longer worry to much about them being early and needing intervention.
I have heard that at the very end twins might get some signal to develop the last things like lungs a little quicker, but not at the beginning, not that early, and I don't know how well its scientifically documented.

mom of twins.gif boys born 9/13/05 and dog2.gifdog2.gif

#3 of 18 Old 04-18-2007, 10:23 AM

I think 24 weeks is considered the point of viability, although there are some mamas here (and IRL) who have had babes at 23 and 22 weeks who survived. There was recently a case of a baby girl surviving at 21 weeks. But -- ask any mama whose babe came early enough to merit NICU time and she'll likely say it's SO hard when they come that soon. ANd there can be lots of different challenges the babe faces coming that early, too. So you definintely want them there as long as possible
#4 of 18 Old 04-18-2007, 10:27 AM

I am a Pedi Nurse. 24 weeks is considered the point of viability. Although any baby born at 24 weeks will require a NICU stay.
#5 of 18 Old 04-18-2007, 10:37 AM

24 weeks is considered the legal age of viability. If you baby comes after this important date or if you go into labor at this point, the hospital is required to do all they can to save the pregnancy/baby. But unless you are at a very specialized NICU, the chances aren't all that great.

Actually it was just in the news that a 22weeker survived and was just recently released from a hospital in Florida:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pag...&u_sid=2337403

However, being born before 28 weeks, if they survive, usually means long term problems for the child.

24 weeks first big milestone!

28 weeks, even bigger milestone!

Edit: looks like we all posted at the same time
#6 of 18 Old 04-18-2007, 10:48 AM

I know somone that had a single baby at 23 weeks in Jan and he is almost ready to come home now. He was under 2lbs when he was born but now is up to about 5. Someone in our community just had twins, I am not sure how many weeks, but have been wondering, one was born 4 days before the 2nd and they were both under 2 lbs. I have hear they are doing as well as they can. I think it depends on the baby and the caregivers the baby has available to them as well. It is definatly true the longer they are in the better. I think all babies develop at an individual rate, even though there is a timeline they stay around, its not exact.

Tiffany wife of 11 yrs to Karl:, DSD Ariel (16) DSS Kaleb (13) DD Jessika (5) twins Drake and Olivia (2) :and our sweet suprise, Lola (11mo):: two angels Sammy(03/06) and Alex (07/06)
#7 of 18 Old 04-18-2007, 11:58 AM

I know there is a big medical debate as to whether or not to take heroic measures to save the baby (babies) before 26 weeks because the chances of them not making it are so high (even with heroic measures). I believe at 28 weeks they will survive, but will likely have some problems (learning disabilities, vision issues, etc). At 32-34 weeks almost all babies survive and most don't have any long term side effects. You definately want to hold them in as long as humanly possible as the risks of prematurity are very severe and often deadly.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#8 of 18 Old 04-18-2007, 12:53 PM

Our twins were in the same amniotic sac, so we had to choose when to start monitoring them daily to make sure they were not having decels leading to death from cord compression.

We did a lot of research into the matter, talked to a bunch of neonatologists at our local hospitals, and read several preemie baby books. We chose not to start monitoring until 26 weeks. I felt that if something happened before that time, sure we might be able to deliver the babies, but what state of life would we have chosen for them, you know?

I realize our situation is different because we had to choose while they were still perfectly fine inside, not while I was sitting in a hospital room in PTL.

That said, I think instead of an across the board determination of __ gestational weeks, there should be case by case decisions made with doctors and parents for every premature birth. While some people may be angered at not giving a 23 weeker a chance, other parents might be angered if there were drastic measures taken to preserve life because of the lifelong impact of doing such.

Just my two cents... my twins stayed in until 32W when we chose with our doctor to deliver them. We were in the NICU 5 weeks, but never had to deal with life threatening issues once they were delivered.
#9 of 18 Old 04-18-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seemfrog View Post
My cousin told me 27 weeks is the eariest they have been known to survive and she is a premie nurse.
Yikes, I was born at 28 weeks and my brother was born at 27 weeks. I am 33 and he is 35. We were miracle babies then, but miracle babies today are much smaller And for the record, we have no health problems related to our premature birth.
#10 of 18 Old 04-18-2007, 03:42 PM

My friend had her twins at 28wks. One was 1lb 2oz and the other was 2lbs 6oz. They were in NICU for two months...they are doing great now although they have to see an opthamologist for their eyes (since they were not fully developed) and they came home on breathing monitors and oxygen monitors...
#11 of 18 Old 04-18-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seemfrog View Post
My cousin told me 27 weeks is the eariest they have been known to survive and she is a premie nurse.
When my two were in the NICU there were several 24 weekers in there, and 2of the 3 that were in there left the NICU shortly after my two did.

24 weeks is considered the point of viability. The point at which doctors will support life and treat agressively.

Here is a chart I found awhile back. I think as time passes (year to year of research) the odds get better the younger they are born http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/A...077/table.html

Molly
DD/DS born at 29w5d in the NICU for 78 days because they refused to eat.
3yr8m
#12 of 18 Old 04-19-2007, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the chart and all the information. It just makes me feal better to see that I am getting to a point that if any thing did happen, there would be a chance for them or that the doctors could help keep them in longer. I am sure I will go around my due date but just like that secure feeling.
Thanks,
Shawnii
#13 of 18 Old 04-21-2007, 02:49 AM

im glad you got the info you needed
some hospitals go by weight though, to see if they will try to resusitate, or take drastic measures to save the baby(ies) if born as a micropreemie...i cant for anything remember what the normal weight is for that type of thing, though, im sorry about that. some are really stricty to their xweeks and xdays thing that if theyre born a few HOURS before they turn the next week that the hospital considers okay to save then they wont do anything which unless theyre ivf coneived, most people cant be exact on that anyway, so i dont understand that :Sigh:

anyway, congrats on getting as far as you have, and many more weeks of : for you and your babies so you wont need to worry about any f this!
#14 of 18 Old 04-21-2007, 02:05 PM

My neonatologist delivered a baby that weiged 12 ounces (dont remember how many weeks, but it was before 24). The baby survived without any serious long term problems.
#15 of 18 Old 04-21-2007, 02:29 PM

when i was in vanderbilt at 22 wks in ptl i was told by my specific nurse that if they couldnt stop labor & my babies were born alive, everything that could be done, would be done. thank the lord i did make it to 30 wks.

BUT ... their official stance is 24 wks.
#16 of 18 Old 04-22-2007, 02:01 AM

My cousin had her triplets at 23 weeks 4 days (IVF so dates are accurate). They were 1 lb. 6, 7, & 8 oz. each. They're almost 2 now and are doing incredible. They all can walk, which is a huge deal considering when they were born. There are definitely medical issues but they're doing well - better than I think anyone expected.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#17 of 18 Old 04-23-2007, 11:44 PM

One of my co-workers had her son at 23/24 weeks (can't remember which) and that was about 20 years ago. She said that the only reason he survived was a) his kidneys were fully developped and working (he peed on the doctor as he came out, via c-section) and b) because he was part of a study that was experimenting with lung surfectants.

I don't know how long he stayed in the NICU, but, as far as I know, he has no lingering health problems from being born so early.
#18 of 18 Old 04-29-2007, 10:24 PM

There are great miracle stories, but unfortunately there are many more that ended sadlt. I do not say this to depress you, but I breathed a huge sigh of relief after 24 wks and when mine were born at 32 weeks, I regretted that 'secure' feeling .My kids were/ are incredibly healthy and came out breathing room air, so we are fortunate. But there were some very fragile, sick babies in the NICU that were well above 24 weeks gestation. I have friends with triplets who were over 30 wks who have some significant issues. So, I guess every baby is different and some 24 weekers make it with few health issues while some term babies are so sick. So, I guess the answer is pray hard and pay attention to your body.

Also--babies do not develop quicker necessarily just b/c they are twins, trips etc. My peri said that the womb is more stressful b/c there is less room, fighting for nutrients, etc and that makes the organs develop faster.

24 wks is a great milestone. 30 is a HUGE milestone. hang in there!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page