how different are twin and singleton pregnancies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-23-2007, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am 4-1/2 weeks pregnant, presumably with a singleton. it's a total surprise. we got pg with the twins on our second try of ivf, so a spontaneous conception is a shock.

so, that's different for me this time -- last time i was taking boat loads of meds early on & was still totally hormonal from the drugs.

this time i am nursing my girls, which us uber-painful.

but other than pain while nursing and vague queasiness, i don't really have any symptons.

i had a pretty easy twin pregnancy, other than the fact that i was huge. i developed pre-e at the end & had carpal tunnel pretty severe, but that was about it. so i am assuming that a singleton pregnancy will be pretty easy for me.

anyway, i'm curious, if you've had both, how different were they?

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
#2 of 13 Old 04-23-2007, 07:25 PM

I think your singleton pregnancy is going to be a breeze!

Blessed mama of four
::
#3 of 13 Old 04-23-2007, 07:39 PM

Well I've had one twin pregnancy and I'm on my second singleton pregnancy.

The only difference is that with my twins I had bad heartburn, and with my singletons, no heartburn. I had bad morning sickness with my twins -- and also with one of my singletons. Luckily not this one!

Also, I was basically showing with my twins at about 8w, and right now I'm 16w and I just look a little lumpy, not like I'm pregnant, just like I've gained weight or something.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#4 of 13 Old 04-23-2007, 07:40 PM

Also, after getting induced at 34w with twins, my singleton pregnancy felt like it lasted FOREVER! lol.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#5 of 13 Old 04-23-2007, 11:19 PM

My singleton pregnancy was a vacation to Tahiti compared to my twin pregnancy. No morning sickness or utter exhaustion except a little sleepiness the first few weeks, I felt great, looked great, and had a nice round compact belly. With the twins, I puked for the first 20 weeks and contracted/could barely walk for the second half, I looked like hell, practically fell asleep standing up, and swelled up like a balloon the last few weeks. Oh, and my singleton pregnancy was SHORTER than my twin pregnancy by 3 weeks Obviously that's pretty rare, though!

full time, single, slightly soggy WOHM to Juliet (12.31.2004 @ 36w5d) and Willow & Adam (2.22.2007 @ 39w5d, HBAC transfer) and... expecting my little womb warrior Eowyn Susanne in September
#6 of 13 Old 04-24-2007, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
OH my- what a loaded question! I had two singletons and am now about 32 weeks with twins. Two totally different ballgames for me. I gained about 65 pounds with my singletons, had some heartburn and a bit of tiredness the first trimester. With my second child I also had yeast issues. But I was still able to do cartwheels and run with my other child right up until the day I went into labor.

For these kids- ugh! I've (only?) gained about 50 pounds so far, but I am hugely uncomfortable with abdomen pain, very low energy, depression (I still don't really want to have two more. I don't think I'm a good enough mom to do it. ), swelling and painful varicose veins. My breasts are so huge the weight is hurting me. I have trouble taking walks with my kids, I get out of breath singing them good night songs, etc. I can't sleep.

You should have a great pregnancy! I've found new respect for those who have twins (which I'm sure will only grow over the next 18 years!) i also understand why those who have twins first only have those two kids! I would never wish this on my worst enemy. May you enjoy this pregnancy.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#7 of 13 Old 04-24-2007, 10:44 AM

I had 2 singletons before my twins and it was just a lot easier. I never had heartburn with them, I could walk - relatively comfortably all the way to the end - I could get out of bed w/o pain, roll over w/o pain, eat. Things were just a lot harder with the twins. With the twins I did feel more nauseous but only vomitted a few times and had to actually force myself to (I know that sounds bad but I really did feel better afterwards). I had horrid SPD which was the most painful thing ever. I think I had very mild cases of it while pg with my singletons but except having mild pain when my pubic bone was touched it really didn't affect me. It was really the last trimester that set the pregnancies apart b/c that's when I guess I surpassed size of previous pregnancies or something. This should be much nicer and enjoyable for you.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#8 of 13 Old 04-24-2007, 11:45 AM

My twin pregnancy was so much easier than my singleton pregnancy. With my son I had nausea, gained a ton of weight, had wicked heartburn, he sat near my lungs so i could hardly breath...it was crazy. With my twins, i had NO symptoms, gained less weight, although there were two of them, i was able to breath easier...it was a breeze....
#9 of 13 Old 04-24-2007, 01:16 PM

I'm with twinmomplusone on this one. My twin pregnancy has been a BREEZE! I was VERY sick with my DS. I had morning sickness (ok only for 12 weeks but I had it), I had fatigue, I had heartburn, I had pelvic pain, back pain, and I cramped and swelled from 16 weeks on. I also didn't show until 33 weeks and just felt like I must be making it up because I never felt pregnant until the end. My third trimester was the best though because I was showing FINALLY and I started feeling better, then had 2.5 weeks of prodromal labor. I swear I was ready to adopt #2 by the time I delivered him!

This time, no morning sickness (only very mild and easily controlled with food avoidance), no more back pain then I normally have, fewer Braxton Hicks. I also Look big and round so I feel pregnant and I feel them wiggle lots more because they're on differant schedules. The only symproms that I've had worse is insomnia and fatigue. I always could sleep with DS and this time I toss and turn all night. I get tired easily and have to rest often, but I'm otherwise pretty active still.

I think every pregnancy is just differant and just because you're probally having a singleton doesn't mean it will be easier or harder then your twin pregnancy. I wish you a happy healthy 9 months!

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#10 of 13 Old 04-24-2007, 03:08 PM

My twin pregnancy seemed to be just an exaggerated version of my singleton pregnancy--I never had ms, pre-e, gd, any of that, and stayed active until labor. As expected, I got bigger faster and had bh contrax waaaaayyyy more often and earlier (starting around 20 weeks, maybe?) and, towards the end, my body forced me to slow down much more than before. But, I guess I anticipated that, too. I had my babies four weeks earlier (35w 1d) than I'd had my daughter (39w), but had no signs or symptoms of premature labor until that day. Oh, and my water broke before I went into labor with my daughter, but not with my sons. I've been told that I was 'born to gestate!'

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#11 of 13 Old 04-24-2007, 10:55 PM

Night and day. My singleton pregnancy was SO easy -- no m/s (I felt queasy maybe twice) and smooth sailing for nine months. Delivery was HARD (a posterior babe with a head in the 97th percentile didn't help). With my twins, it was miserable -- I threw up every day for more than 20 weeks, had terrible carpel tunnel, was physically exhausted so much. But delivery was CAKE!

Good luck with your pregnancy!
#12 of 13 Old 04-25-2007, 12:03 AM

Bear in mind that some differences will be between first and succeeding pregnancies and some will be twin vs. singleton.

My first pregnancy (singleton) was pretty good. I did have morning sickness (never severe, but uncontrolled and a pain), but other than that, it went well (mild heartburn). DS1 arrived at 40 w 4 days. The delivery took forever and narrowly avoided a C-section.

My second pregnancy (singleton) was better. I'd begun to understand what triggered or helped prevent my morning sickness, so it was much more controlled (basically, if I got hungry, I'd feel sick, so I'd eat something at the first signs of hunger). I had mild heartburn with him too. DS2 was 11 days overdue, but I never felt uncomfortable before he arrived. His birth was mostly natural (doctor induced, but I was allowed to walk around and such) and went much better, much faster.

My third pregnancy (twins) was probably my shortest (unsure of dates, but I believe it was 38.5 weeks), however, I was much more impatient for it to end.

Knowing how to control my morning sickness, I was surprised at how much food it took to control it (I didn't know it was twins until 27 weeks). The last trimester was really the worst (I hesitate to use that word, since the pregnancy was still good). It was hard to eat as much protein as I needed without feeling stuffed or having heartburn. It was very tiring to get up and get around (which was necessary with my older boys). In the last couple of weeks, I developed a hemorrhoid, which was really painful. I was so ready for those girls to arrive! The delivery was my easiest and fastest (a homebirth).

All in all, I'd say my twin pregnancy was harder, but not twice as hard. However, in many respects you'll probably find your second pregnancy easier, but in some harder (mainly, having to deal with the children while dealing with the pregnancy stuff).
#13 of 13 Old 04-25-2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleseed View Post
My singleton pregnancy was a vacation to Tahiti compared to my twin pregnancy. No morning sickness or utter exhaustion except a little sleepiness the first few weeks, I felt great, looked great, and had a nice round compact belly. With the twins, I puked for the first 20 weeks and contracted/could barely walk for the second half, I looked like hell, practically fell asleep standing up, and swelled up like a balloon the last few weeks. Oh, and my singleton pregnancy was SHORTER than my twin pregnancy by 3 weeks Obviously that's pretty rare, though!
This was basically my experience from my first pg (twins) to second pg (singleton). I never puked with either pg, but dry heaved until I could hardly move without my abs screaming at me with my twin pg. I had my singleton 3 days earlier gestation wise.

Then I got pg a third time.

So much for a singleton pg being easier than a twin one.

Sure, I wasn't as huge, thus not nearly as uncomfortable at the end.

But the round ligament pain was horrid the third time around, much much worse than the first time and it was pretty bad then. The nausea was AWFUL and really only went away for about 3-4 weeks mid-pg before returning full force.

I was pre-eclamptic with my twin pg, not a single high reading with the second pg, and much worse pre-eclampsia with my third pg. I had my twins at 38w3d, my first singleton at 38w exactly, and my third at 37w1d. My blood pressure just was not cooperative at all with the third pg.

So....

Who knows really. If I'd stopped at the two pg, I'd have said a singleton was much easier than twins in terms of pg. Throw in the second singleton pg, and I'm not so sure any more. It was really awful.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page