Red raspberry leaf - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-27-2007, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Dr told me last time no RRL tea until I was 36 weeks pregnant. Everything I've read said it's perfectly safe and doesn't increase risk for PTL (except for on babycenter.com, but that's an allopathic view). Are there any contradictions to using it early (third trimester) with twin pregnancies. Did anyone else use it? When? What was your experience with it? I'm thinking of starting Earth Mama Third trimester tea at around 30 weeks to try to reap more benefit from it.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 04-27-2007, 08:57 AM

I used it all throughout my pg.
#3 of 10 Old 04-27-2007, 09:03 AM

i heard it is safe after the 1st trimester

::
#4 of 10 Old 04-27-2007, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I asked about it at my first appt (10 weeks?) and was told it was beneficial throughout. I'm inconsistent but have had a cup or two most every day this pregnancy. I'm 32 weeks along.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#5 of 10 Old 04-27-2007, 12:41 PM

I took it pre-pregnancy, all through pregnancy, and continue now while nursing.

I had a friend that was getting tons of bx, and her midwife had her lay off on the rasberry leaf tea (she was drinking LOTS), and the bx slowed way down.

So, like everything, use your head and pay attention to your body. If you aren't having any difficulty, great. If your having bx, ptl, or other issues, then use extra caution.

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#6 of 10 Old 04-27-2007, 02:00 PM

While it is a uterine tonic, for some women, it is a uterine irritant. And this goes for raspberries, as well as the tea.

I have avoided it for the most part throughout my pregnancy because I've been having strong braxton-hicks ctx since 16 weeks. For me, the ctx are exacerbated by not enough food, not enough water, not enough sleep, a full bladder, or too much exertion.

If you have an irritable uterus (tons of ctx with no cervical changes), then I would suggest paying heed to your Dr's advice. I will be avoiding RRL tea until I'm ready to go into labour. And when I actually begin labour, I'll be downing the stuff like water.

If you do not have an irritable uterus, then try it and see if you have more BH ctx. If you don't, then keep up with it.
#7 of 10 Old 04-27-2007, 05:32 PM

I used it all through out. What it does is tone the uterus, and it is very nutritious. I have never heard of it causing PTL. I have heard that if you have a history of miscarriages you shouldn't use it in the 1st trimester, so you are probably save. I would drink it after for a while as well. But does your doc use herbs in his/her practice? If so then I would listen to them, because maybe for you it is not right. If they don't use herbs in there practice they are probably just saying that because they don't know enough about herbs to give an educated response and are playing it safe. My mid-wife and 2 of my docs said that it is good to drink through out. But you should goggle it and research it yourself and decide for yourself if you want to use it or not.

Single mom to twin boys ('06)
#8 of 10 Old 04-27-2007, 10:37 PM

Red raspberry leaf has been used traditionally by pregnant women all over the world for hundreds of years to support childbirth. I have never heard of a negative study or even a story of a negative result attributed to RRL. All the above advice seems helpful. I would challenge your doctor- ask him or her WHY and to even show you a study that supports that advice. Doctors receive no training in herbalism and the conventional medical establishment both fears and discounts herbs. I would be surprised if s/he was an expert in herbs. (PS- I'm a naturopathic doctor and herbalist who teaches at a midwifery college- but I don't claim to know everything about using herbs during pregnacy.)
#9 of 10 Old 04-28-2007, 12:49 PM

Hmm. My doctor said the same thing when I asked her about early in my twin pregnancy. However, pre-term labor was a concern for me from pretty early on (I had various complications throughout my pregnancy), and I know my doc did suggest it for her moms of singletons. So maybe it's a case by case thing?
#10 of 10 Old 04-29-2007, 02:54 AM

Heres some info on Rasp leaf

This one is straight forward and short

http://konzababy.tripod.com/RRL.htm

This one get a little more scientific

http://www.pregnancy.com.au/raspberry_leaf.htm

Single mom to twin boys ('06)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version