Help me get this straight - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2007, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted this on another site so sorry if you read this question twice.
But, I have been asked this question a few times. When someone has Identical twins it's because it's a fluke thing (a egg splits) and not because it runs or ran in there family right? -I hope that didn't sound rude
But with fraternal twins it is in the family or can run in the family because the mom drops multiple egg's and that can pass down to other generations because the other women in the family can drop multiple egg's like there mom or grandma did right? And it has to be passed on from women to women if a man has twins in the family it don't matter because he's just a sperm doner right? Also do identical and faternal twins mom's have the same chance of having twins again or do the fraternal twins have a higher chance because they can drop to egg's again?
Thanks for helping me get this straight in my head.
Shawnii
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2007, 11:00 AM

What you've written is generally accepted right now.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there is research being done that is investigating the role of genetics in identical twinning.

Another thing I've read is that the higher fraternal twinning rates are likely related to women having babies at an older age. Sort of the body's last ditch effort to get at least one baby out of the pregnancy - release multiple eggs and hopefully at least one will stick! Everyone I know with twins is/was at least in their 30's when their babes were born.

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
Old 05-03-2007, 11:30 AM

However in my case, I kinda defy all the odds...I am not even 30 yet, I have fraternal twins, no women in my family have had twins, and I didnt take fertility drugs....I guess I was just double blessed...
Old 05-03-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmvh View Post
Everyone I know with twins is/was at least in their 30's when their babes were born.
I'm only 26. . . and I know others who had twins and are under 30.
Your chances of having twins do go up with age, but it is also true that some women are genetically predisposed to drop more than one egg per cycle, as the original poster suggested. And this tendecy is inherited from your mother's side, as well.

As far as identicals are concerned, the generally accepted theory is that it is just a fluke, but there have been some studies done that suggest a that a woman's chances of having identicals does seem to be statistically higher when there are other identicals in her family, and some studies say in the father's family as well.
They have not, as far as I know, determined the mechanism which causes the egg to split. So on the whole, identical twins and multiples are a more mysterious occurence than fraternals.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:52 AM

Wasn't there also a study that linked fraternal twinning to the father's genetics? Something about "potent" sperm, I think I recall
Old 05-03-2007, 12:39 PM

there is theory that MZ twins are more common in older moms because the eggs are weaker and more likely to split, but at this time there is no conclusive evidence. They really seem to be a fluke. DZ twins can occur from family history on the mother's mother's side. So for example, my chances of having fraternals are not increased even though my father is a fraternal twin (he has a twin sister). I don't understand that part myself, but hey! The chances increase also when the mother concieves while breastfeeding, if she eats alot of yams, takes fertility drugs, does IVF, or is of specific ethnic background (I believe more african americans have twins then other groups. Asians have the lowest rate of twinning of any group (particularly japanese).

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
Old 05-03-2007, 04:41 PM

Just like women over 30, women under 20 are also more likely to have fraternal twins. Apparently the beginning and end stages of menstruation are the times when more than one egg is likely to be released.

And while there is no study attempting to prove the following, I've also read that statistically more twins are conceived during the early stages of a relationship (the theory being that the new, hot sex might provoke the release of an extra egg). I like this one because I can tell DH it's his sexiness that made me release an extra egg.

So here's another question--if the father doesn't influence genetic chances of twins why do ALL the medical professional ask if either parent has a history of twins in their family?
Old 05-03-2007, 05:34 PM

They are trying to determine if id twins run in families. There have been some studies that suggest that it runs through the father's side. My husband has id twins aunts, and we have id twin boys.

Also, our food is now being supplimented with more folate and that is increasing the amount of fraternal twins. (better nutrition = more babies, just like in the rest of the animal kingdom). I don't know how that specific nutrient acts on our bodies, I just heard the stat a few weeks ago.

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
Old 05-03-2007, 05:41 PM

I don't mean to be super-picky, but the 'egg-splitting' theory is also fairly new (polar twinning)--it's presumed that it is the zygote or embryo that divides (after conception), not the egg splitting (which would be pre-conception).

And Tori, I think most docs ask that question b/c many of them are nearly as clueless as the general public on the nature of twinning! I can't tell you how many expectant MoM's I've referred to the Noble and Luke books to study up on the diet they should be eating while pg w/multiples--their doctors and midwives had no idea there was much else they should/could be doing during pregnancy to help them have big, healthy, term babies.

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
Old 05-03-2007, 07:12 PM

My uncle is an id twin. His mother had 3 sets of id twins- 9 boys total including three singletons. To me that would suggest that there is a genetic component. How could a "fluke" like that happen three times for the same woman?! :
Old 05-03-2007, 07:29 PM

In MZ twins, the embryo splits, not the egg. There are some fertility treatments that make MZ twins slightly more likely, i.e. assisted hatching and blastocyst transfer.

Also, I've read that "older" Moms are more likely to have twins because of the higher FSH levels. FSH is one of the hormones you inject during IVF to induce super ovulation.

I think the father's genetics matter in passing along twins because he can pass genes to a daugther that would influence whether she was more or less likely to release more than one egg per cycle.

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
Old 05-03-2007, 08:08 PM

In addition to older women being more likely to produce fraternal twins, my doctor had also told us (before we knew ours were MZ) that conceiving not long after going off Birth Control can also increase the chances of dropping multiple eggs which can lead to fraternal twins.

Wife to DH (September '05) and mama to energy.gifEzri (August '07), superhero.gif Oz (April '09) and slingboy.gif Ezekiel (August '11).

Old 05-03-2007, 08:18 PM

I've got a family that also questions the no familial component to identical twins.

My MIL is one of 8 girls. The last 4 are 2 sets of id twins (including MIL) there was also a set of either miscarried or stillborn twin boys.

MIL (remember, an id twin) had id twins (my dh and his twin)
One of her younger sisters (from the other set of id twins) had id twins.

Yeah, if there's no genetic component at all I should have won the lottery by now...

Just for kicks- dh's twin now has twins- but they're frat.

-Angela
Old 05-03-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridaxsky View Post
In addition to older women being more likely to produce fraternal twins, my doctor had also told us (before we knew ours were MZ) that conceiving not long after going off Birth Control can also increase the chances of dropping multiple eggs which can lead to fraternal twins.
Funny you should mention that, I belong to a multiples group of about 30 women, 10 of us have conceived fraternal twins within a month of going off birth control.... hmmmmm
Old 05-03-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmomplusone View Post
However in my case, I kinda defy all the odds...I am not even 30 yet, I have fraternal twins, no women in my family have had twins, and I didnt take fertility drugs....I guess I was just double blessed...
I was 23 when I had my twins, 22 when I conceived them. We believe them to be identical, but never any official dna testing. It was told to us they had one placenta, making them identical. But then at another time they thought the placenta was fused. So without any testing we are not entirely sure whether they are identical. I dont have any twins up my mothers line for it to be hereditary, if they would be fraternal. So chances are they are identical. To us they also only look like 70% identical. In other words, we can definately tell them apart.
Anyways, thats just my input on our situation. And what the person who started this thread, is what I believed to be true as well. They are also #3 &4. I have two singleton boys and then came the girls.
Twinsr4me
Ohyeah, my girls will be four in two weeks. Yea!
Old 05-03-2007, 10:52 PM

Excess levels of hormones are thought to be a contributing factor for multliple egg release in younger women, accounting for higher levels of twins.

On another note, a woman under 30 using no fertility drugs, who has fraternal twins has upwards of a 60% chance of doing it again!

Rachel
Old 05-04-2007, 01:54 PM

I was only 26 when mine were born and I know plenty of younger women who have twins. It does increase a lot with age but there are still plenty of twins born to younger mamas too. Mine are mz and I have no history of mz twins (a little further back there are dz twins and in dh's family his grandfather was a dz twin and his aunt misscarried twins). I think with me it was totally random. I was breastfeeding so maybe that helped, who knows.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:22 PM

I was 23 when I had my MZ twins. I believe the generally accepted theory is that MZ twins are a fluke -- although there is always new research.

Dr whatshisname -- I've posted a questionaire from him on here -- just did a study about DZ twins and how the man's extra-potent sperm can be a factor.

I'd be thrilled if my twins had twins. Or any of my kids.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 05-04-2007, 03:01 PM

Don't forget there is that just recognized type of twins where it is one egg and two sperm cells...
Old 05-04-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AladdinsLamp View Post
Don't forget there is that just recognized type of twins where it is one egg and two sperm cells...
I thought this was still theoretical?

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:39 PM

The article I read on CNN a month or so ago didn't make it sound theoretical... just rare. Conjoined twins were born that had different y dna but the same x dna....
Let me look for the article.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:43 PM

Semi-identical twinning
http://multiples.about.com/od/glossa...iidentical.htm
from the article:

Definition: A type of twinning identified by scientists in a report in the Journal of Human Genetics in 2007. Described as identical on the mother's side but sharing only half their father's genes, the rare twins developed when two sperm fertilized a single egg, forming a triploid, which then split.

The twins, born in 2003 or 2004 in the United States, are described as somewhere between identical and fraternal. One twin is a hermaphrodite being raised as a female, with both testicular and ovarian structures, while the other is anatomically male.

Semi-identical twinning is distinguished from polar body twinning because the egg was fertilized by two sperm before splitting.
Also Known As: sesquizygotic, a term postulated by biologist Michael Golubovsky
Old 05-04-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaDoula View Post

I'd be thrilled if my twins had twins. Or any of my kids.
I am reallly hoping that when my girls get older that one of them have twins...that would be great to have twin grandchildren.....
Old 05-04-2007, 10:23 PM

I know that all the theories and studies suggest that ID twins are just a "fluke" thing, however...I've conceived ID twins twice in a row now without the aid of fertility medications. Twins DO run in my family though....both my grandmother and great-grandmother on my Mom's side had twins. The only issue I am having is that I lost one of our first ID twins to VTS, but gave birth to a healthy, full-term baby boy 9 mos. (or less, I guess) later. This time around, I just had a D&E this past Tuesday (May 1st) due to the loss of both ID twins. I'm 34 yrs. old, and have 6 other children...so I have several contributing factors to conceiving twins. Although according to the "experts", I should be more prone to conceiving fraternal twins. I do know that I experience hyper-ovulation, but once again...that should have resulted in fraternal twins as well...not ID. It's all still a mystery to me...but from my own personal experience, I would have to say that ID twins must have some kind of genetic role...regardless of what all the studies and experts say.

By the way, although it was never confirmed by U/S, my 4th pregnancy/child was also thought to have possibly been a twin pregnancy as I experienced very heavy bleeding/passing of clots & tissue (sorry for being so graphic). I was told I had a miscarriage, but later discovered that I still had a very healthy, thriving fetus. This lead my OB to believe that I might have lost a twin that time around as well (most likely fraternal in that case though).

Sorry not much help with your questions....just wanted to throw in my experiences.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:49 PM

I was 25 when I conceived my ID twins using no fertility drugs. My grandmother had 1 set of frats and these are the only 2 on my side. My dh's side is another story, he has 4 (maybe 5, dont remember) all ID. All of them are from my dh's grandfather's side and down (his brother's and sisters had ID twins) so it isnt that far in generation. I know they say that ID's dont run in families and only the woman's side counts but this is pretty odd.....:

Also in case anyone is reading this that isnt aware, ID twins can be in seperate sacs and placentas. My dd's were completely seperate, told from day 1 they were frat. Found out after birth with not being able to tell them apart, having the same blood type, hair/eye color, we had them DNA tested and they are ID. The egg split very early!

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.

User Tag List