brewers diet? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-04-2007, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been seeing alot about the Brewers diet on the pregnancy boards. I was curious if any moms with twins have used this during pregnancy. I'm somewaht overweight and worried about preclampsia and gestational diabetes, since the risks are so much higher with twins and with the me also being overweight. Any advice or opinions I would appreciate.

Thanks, Aradria

Aradria SAHM to : ds 2003, ds and dd 2007 and ds Nov 2009. :
#2 of 11 Old 05-04-2007, 12:11 PM

I did Brewer with my singleton and my twins (I'm a Bradley teacher and Bradley promotes Brewer).

The basic philosophy is common sense: pregnant women (and lactating women) need to eat well in order to be healthy and grow healthy babies. The idea is to get a variety and abundance of fresh foods and to also increase protein consumption.

For twins, the plan is modified a bit:

--3500 calories/day
--120 to 150 grams/protein/day

If you're overweight to begin with, you *may* not need that many calories every day. But you still need variety. And you still need the extra protein.

You can learn more at www.blueribbonbaby.org .

Good luck.
#3 of 11 Old 05-04-2007, 12:34 PM

I did the Brewer diet with my singleton, and am now following the Brewer diet for twins through this pregnancy. My dd went 10 days past her "due date" and my placenta still looked great. So far, the extra nutrition seems to be having a positive effect on the twins as well - last u/s at 13 weeks they both looked great, and both measured exactly at 13 weeks.

I agree that the diet is based on sound nutrition and a very balanced diet. In fact, it keeps me so busy eating good foods that I am rarely even hungry for "junk," which is great.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#4 of 11 Old 05-04-2007, 02:51 PM

I try to follow this. I'm significantly overweight and "technically" have GD, but i'm completely diet controlled at this point. My blood pressure is fine and I have no swelling at all. The only reason I say I try to do this is because I have little appatite these days and often don't eat enough according to the diet, but I eat lots of protein.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#5 of 11 Old 05-04-2007, 09:15 PM

I started following it before we knew we had twins and then upped the protein when we found out. Our twins are also on target for weight as if they were singletons and my BP is great, no GD or signs of PTL plus my weight gain has been ideal throughout the pregnancy. It's basically a healthy diet for anyone with an emphasis on protein necessary for healthy pregnancy.
#6 of 11 Old 05-05-2007, 01:58 PM

yup. we followed this diet, too. no pregnancy problems at all, babies born on due date 7' 12" and 5' 12". i agree with pp about being so busy with following the diet that there is no time, or room, for junk. best wishes!
#7 of 11 Old 05-05-2007, 10:48 PM

I did the Brewer diet (to an extent; I was vegetarian & got the amounts of protein but not in the ways he described) during my twin pregnancy. The girls had TTTS & I was following a recommendation to add Ensure or Boost drinks 3x/daily to my diet. Within a week of increasing my protein with that, the girls' growth stabilized and their fluid levels evened out. So I called the Brewer Diet hotline and was fortunate enough to reach Dr. Brewer himself (I hear he passed away last year, maybe? He was very sweet - I feel very fortunate to have had this phone call) and he went on and on for about 45 minutes about all the research he'd done over the years (which found that yes, protein is linked to pg hypertension) and how he thinks it's such a shame that so many drs are willing to call 35 weeks term for twins, when they really need the extra time in there. Anyway, I held tight with the protein for a long time - and honestly, when it started to wear thin and I started to get lazy about it was when the girls' growth started to get all crazy again.

Also? I had no leg cramps. I suffered them terribly with my son, had nary one with the girls, and now I"m being lazy with the protein again in my 3rd (single) pregnancy and I get wicked cramps almost nightly.
#8 of 11 Old 05-06-2007, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

I've started the diet but, I'm having a hard time getting the protein in. I was also wondering if any of you that have done the diet used protein shakes? If you did what brands or types did you use?

Thanks again,
Aradria

#9 of 11 Old 05-07-2007, 12:27 AM

Yeah, I make a protein shake most nights. I also put some frozen berries in, so it is a good way to get extra fruit. I find I just can't eat enough food during the day usually to get all the protein in, unless I cut out my fruit/veggie servings, which I absolutely need.

I had been using a combo whey/soy protein powder that was pretty good, but recently got some brown rice protein powder from the health food store that I thought might be better for me. Well, one taste and I'll just say I am going back to the whey/soy combo.

BTW, my chiropractor followed the Brewer Diet with both her kids, both were term, big and healthy, and she told me she relied on protein powders too, so I figure it must be ok.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#10 of 11 Old 05-07-2007, 12:52 PM

Yep, I did Brewer. I also used protien shakes with berries 'cause solid food just didn't work for me some days!! I also ate sunflower nut butter by the spoonful at night for a high protien snack in compact amount (also high in the good fats and fiber).

I am also overweight, and even eating TONS, I only gained about 22 lbs with the twins. They came out at 7 1/2 lbs EACH!! It was definitely worth it.

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#11 of 11 Old 05-07-2007, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdahlgrd View Post
I am also overweight, and even eating TONS, I only gained about 22 lbs with the twins. They came out at 7 1/2 lbs EACH!! It was definitely worth it.
That's good to know. I feel like I haven't been able to eat enough. My weight gain has also been pretty slow, compared to what I gained with my son.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page