Multiples maternity wear? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 05-11-2007, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there!

We just found out last week that we will be having twins. It is very exciting and overwhelming at the same time...

I am 21 weeks along and realize that carrying twins actually explains alot. My belly look 2-3 months farther along than I am and I am starting to wonder what I am going to wear for maternity clothes this summer.

My problem is that if I just move to a larger maternity size it will look like a tent on me. My belly is growing (and maybe my bottom... ), but the rest of me is not (or at least not at the same rate). Is there such a thing as multiples maternity wear?

Pamela

Mama to ds (8 yrs), ds (5 yrs), ds (3 yrs) and ds (3 yrs).
#2 of 24 Old 05-11-2007, 10:25 PM

Never saw anything specifically for multiple moms. I just wore regular maternity clothes but they were a tad small :

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#3 of 24 Old 05-11-2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterMama1 View Post
My problem is that if I just move to a larger maternity size it will look like a tent on me.
Yep. That's pretty much what I did. My mom bought me these like 3X maternity shirts, and at first I was like, "Are you KIDDING ME?!?!?! I will not wear those." Ha. They were my favorites by the end. They were tent-esque but COMFY. And I'd wear those low low maternity jeans with the elastic below my belly, and the tents on top, and I was good.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#4 of 24 Old 05-11-2007, 10:45 PM

I haven't seen anything for multiples. I am 16 weeks, and right now I am either going with things that are a little small or things that do, in fact, look like tents. My boobs do seem to be keeping pace with my tummy, at least so far, so right now there is still a bit of a sense of balance, at least. Although I wouldn't mind if they didn't keep pace for the whole pg!

(Oh, and my mom informed me the other day that my butt is also growing this pg. I told her it was counterbalance. : )

My worry is what, if anything, I will have to wear come fall. I fear I may end up being housebound toward the end for simple lack of clothes that fit!

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#5 of 24 Old 05-12-2007, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! I guess that I will just look for some larger clothes... I guess I can try to alter them if they are really big...

Mama to ds (8 yrs), ds (5 yrs), ds (3 yrs) and ds (3 yrs).
#6 of 24 Old 05-12-2007, 02:29 AM

I know of one lady who makes some custom ones just for MoM she is in Wa. She gets some pretty specific info from you like bust size tummy size and other things so they still look cute but also fit. I had to resort to wearing xxxl mens overalls just so I could cover up my big ol belly.
#7 of 24 Old 05-12-2007, 11:31 AM

I normally wear a 1x-2x (more 2x) and started out in 1x maternity. I'm now in 2x-3x maternity. I found some really stretchy maternity in 2x that should fit to the end. I'm having the opposite prob with the butt, mine is shrinking... so is the rest of me too and i'm getting to be all belly. If you're wearing tees or tanks that stretch then you should be ok. I found that somethings that are bigger in size fit the belly, but are too loose in the shoulders. I also love overalls, but I'm finding that they're getting too tight in the belly (esp when I sit down). I guess just wear whatever is comfy for you!

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#8 of 24 Old 05-12-2007, 12:57 PM

I was huge at the end of my twin pregnancy and those maternity clothes laughed at me...i had to buy stuff in the plus sizes in order to fit.although I am petite and usually a size 5- nothing normal maternity size fit me.....the plus size shirts were the only thing to cover my belly. the maternity jeans were a joke so i wore sweatpants or stuff with an elastic band to go under my belly....
#9 of 24 Old 05-12-2007, 01:07 PM

At least you all can go out to the store or have things shipped easily! I'm now out of most of my regular maternity shirts. A couple plus size friends are lending me some 3x shirts. Hope they work!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#10 of 24 Old 05-12-2007, 01:48 PM

Japanese Weekend used to offer a MoM's specific line (not sure if they still do). I bought 2 shirts from them toward the end of my twin pregnancy, put one of them on to show dh, told him what it was (multiple specific) and he just about fell off the chair laughing. It didn't exactly cover my belly. But, those clothes may help *you* so I'll throw that out there just in case. And they may have been more helpful in my 7th/8th month vs. at the very end. Oh, and I wish I had been at my largest in warm weather b/c then I wouldn't have felt too akward letting my belly hang out. Here's me in maternity clothes (both the shirt & pants - yoga style) while in labor. Cracks me up. I never did find a solution. Larger sized clothes would have looked ridiculous on me and I felt self-conscious enough with all the stares I was already getting. I pretty much became a hermit at the end to avoid the stares & whispers. GL & congratulations! Twins are amazing.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#11 of 24 Old 05-12-2007, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You know, I have that problem already (30 weeks) and I'm only carrying one. With my first, my belly outgrew all my maternity clothes and was hanging out the bottom by the end... so, while I'm not completely in your position, I can totally relate! I decided to just go with dresses this summer, and I figure I can't really outgrow those ...or if I DO, I'm in some serious trouble! :

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#12 of 24 Old 05-12-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+twins View Post
Here's me in maternity clothes (both the shirt & pants - yoga style) while in labor. Cracks me up.
: the look you're giving your dh (or whoever is holding the camera) is PRICELESS. You look like you made it a lot farther than I did -- mine were born at 34w. Here I am at 32.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#13 of 24 Old 05-12-2007, 04:09 PM

They don't make anything for multiples. I had to buy 2 sizes larger than I needed and I sewed up the arms so they fit better. It worked fine and they looked alright. I didn't cut off the extra material though because I wanted someone to be able to use them after I was done. As a matter of fact, I even recieved compliments on the clothes I wore to church. My favortie clothing though was one in which my belly stuck out. It felt better for my belly to be free and nothing was long enough to cover it so I just got used to a few inches of belly hangin out!

ETA I wish I had pics of my belly, I still want to cry when I think about it.
#14 of 24 Old 05-12-2007, 04:22 PM

Thankfully, I sew, so it wasn't too difficult to alter some existing maternity patterns to make them fit (though with a summer multiples pregnancy, I actually preferred some tent clothes for cool comfort). Actually, that should have been one of my first clues that I had multiples. When I went to make an Easter dress (a year ago), my test garment fit just right at 5 months with no room to grow. At the time, I just thought the pattern was more fitted (I altered it to make it last the whole pregnancy). Shortly after, I found out why it fit so closely!

Michelle G.
#15 of 24 Old 05-12-2007, 07:05 PM

I ended up in skirts for most of my pregnany with a t-shirt (resorting to plus sizes at the end, also normally a 6). I would buy a yard and a half of fabric cut a bit of the width off so it was a long skirt, overlap the 1.5 around me, put in a three inch wide piece of elastic and wore them under my belly. I liked having them really long because I could get in any position and not feel exposed, especially as I was struggling to move towards the end. This spring I made some dresses for my daughter out of the skirt fabric. I'm sure my explanation makes no sense but I basically made a tube that had overlapping edges in the front vs. an exact seam down the back. Good luck!

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#16 of 24 Old 05-12-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaDoula View Post
: the look you're giving your dh (or whoever is holding the camera) is PRICELESS. You look like you made it a lot farther than I did -- mine were born at 34w. Here I am at 32.
That was actually my dh on the phone. I was like, you'd better get home NOW. I made it to 37w4d.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#17 of 24 Old 05-14-2007, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
For the last few weeks I mostly wore dresses that I borrowed from a friend, that she had made for herself - she was 5 inches taller than me, and much heavier even when not pg, so other than coming to my ankles, they were OK.

Here's me 2 days before I delivered, at 39 weeks:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ogry/BELLY.jpg

but it was SO worth it! My babies at 3 years:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ogry/3YEAR.jpg

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#18 of 24 Old 05-16-2007, 01:23 AM

Japanese Weekend makes a line for women expecting multiples. I got several of their things when I was PG & huge. Google them & you should find their website. Don't know if they sell direct from their, though. I went to their brick & mortar store in San Francisco. It's kinda expensive, though.

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
#19 of 24 Old 05-16-2007, 02:02 PM

i would grow out of clothes within weeks. it was really frustrating, but i was lucky- i ended up borrowing some maternity clothes from a friend who had twins 2 yrs before me! it was great, b/c like i said, i grew so fast. and yes, by the end, you'll be wearing tents!

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#20 of 24 Old 05-16-2007, 05:10 PM

I wore a sarong skirt around the house for the last few months.

Sears sells plus-size maternity clothes, but they didn't work for me. They didn't give you any more belly room, just more bottom and boob room, which didn't really help me.
#21 of 24 Old 05-18-2007, 12:13 AM

I wore JC Penny plus size, knit (stretchy) shorts and BIG T-shirts I got at Walmart (I think 3 X). It worked great for those last miserable days. I will have to upload some pictures. (I love showing and seeing pg pict's. Especially multiples!!)

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#22 of 24 Old 05-18-2007, 01:35 PM

Everyone is right about the dearth of options for our outsized bellies. BUT, I have found a pretty good alternative to complete tent-shirts that I strongly recommend. Buy or make some "maternity belly bands". There are some on the market that are very overpriced (like Bella Band or baby be mine maternity bands). Or if you sew, you can make your own. Here is a tutorial, not for pg women, but you could adapt to your size: http://www.planetjune.com/blog/haram...rmer-tutorial/. Note that in Japan, these belly bands are called "haramaki" and are a trend there, also you can find links about them on the net under "Japanese Belly Warmer". In Japan there is a belief about keeping belly warm, especially in pregnancy.

Anyway, what I actually did that has worked pretty well is to take some old stretch-cotton t-shirts (ones that have 5% or so Lycra in them) that were "pitted out", and just cut them off right below the pits. Then I wear these over my tummy pulled up above my belly button and pulled way down to cover my low-rise maternity pants or sweats (as well as the thick maternity band that goes around the waist band of my maternity pants). I have different colors, brown, pink, green and they nicely compliment some of my tops that I wear over them. Fortunately, I had a nice selection of these t-shirts around that were just about to hit the "give away" or rag pile. But you could also buy them at a 2nd hand store or get some inexpensive ones at a Marshall's, Ross, Target, or what have you.

I am 30 weeks and measuring 40 cm and my normal old t-shirt size has worked fine for this purpose (thus far no need to use a bigger t-shirt size for the "belly band" AKA cut-off-T-shirt).

This allows you to have your belly covered, look actually pretty fashionable (since little undershirts are "in"), and "grow" with your favorite maternity shirts without having to set them aside because your bare belly peeks out below them.

The other advantage is that these bands help cover the "plumbers crack" that can be so frustrating with the low-rise jeans. I really love this solution, because I feel so much comfier and more covered up and not like I'm hanging out all over the place.

The only disadvantage I have found to the cut-off t-shirt method is that the non hemmed part where you cut the t-shirt rolls a little bit so that you can see the line of it under your shirt if your top shirt is tight. But I prefer this to having my belly hanging out below.

Okay, can you tell I have been pretty happy with this little trick? I'll stop rambling now. Hope someone finds this useful.

Anamom
#23 of 24 Old 05-18-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaMom View Post
The only disadvantage I have found to the cut-off t-shirt method is that the non hemmed part where you cut the t-shirt rolls a little bit so that you can see the line of it under your shirt if your top shirt is tight. But I prefer this to having my belly hanging out below.
That was another great idea. If you sew a little, I think serging or zigzagging a piece of elastic to it would stop the rolling of the fabric. I made myself something like this last summer out of some knit fabric with lycra. The only thing I didn't like was the heat of an extra layer (100 degree weather in much of July).

Michelle G.
#24 of 24 Old 05-24-2007, 01:52 PM

Here is what I was able to find online for multiples maternity clothing.

Some of these shirt went up to 2xl
http://www.tummywear.org/maternity_t..._multiples.php

This place has 3 of the tops by Japanese Weekend that are for multiples:
http://www.maternityandnursing.com/c....php?cPath=190

Plus size clothing. Lane Bryant now does maternity as well as JCPenney. I don't know about the fit, but it's always worth a shot.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page