Cloth diapering... how did you do it with two? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 05-15-2007, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,

We just found out a couple of weeks ago that we are having twins. I am both thrilled and overwhelmed at the same time!

I have so many questions... but today I am wondering if it is possible to cloth diaper twins. Ok, I know it is possible, but is it do-able? Do you have to have a diaper service or can you find time to do laundry? I have used pocket diapers in the past, but thought that they might be too time consuming to stuff with two. Are all-in-ones better?

I just can't imagine putting twice the disposable diapers in the garbage...

I would love to hear your suggestions and advice!

Pamela

Mama to ds (8 yrs), ds (5 yrs), ds (3 yrs) and ds (3 yrs).
#2 of 35 Old 05-15-2007, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well, I never had twins, but I did have two in diapers at one point.

I switched DD1 to sposies about halfway through my pg with DD2- I was tired and sick and just couldn't keep up with the extra laundry. When they were about 5mo and almost 2 I put them back into cloth. If I'd had the money, I would have used a diaper service during that time instead of sposies, but at that time and in that place, diaper services cost more than disposables.

I used a combination of flats and prefolds with pins and pull-up vinyl pants. Then I switched to nylon pants when I had a chance to order them through the mail (I got the gerber stuff at a brick and mortar store, back in the days when stores carried CDs!!) I'd never even heard of pocket diapers (did they even exist 11 years ago?), and I didn't like fitteds or AIOs because they took too long to dry.

I had a skinny toddler and a pudgy infant, so they were pretty much the same size in diapers by the time I switched them to cloth. I needed about 1.5X as many diapers and covers for diapering two as I needed for diapering one, as I washed the diapers more often. I'd do a load of diapers when the diaper pail was full- that took about 2 days when diapering 2, or 4 days when diapering one. I think I had about 5 dozen diapers?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#3 of 35 Old 05-15-2007, 03:01 AM

I CD my twin girls in Fuzzi Bunz. I considered a service, but I didn't want a bag of diapers in my house for a week at a time. Plus, I was worried about the harsh detergents they use to get the diapers clean.

So I just toss a bag of diapers in the wash before I got to bed every other day. Dry them int the morning. Stuff them when I can. Now it's when the girls play. When they were tiny, I don't remember when I did it. It really doesn't take 10 minutes and it's 10 minutes in which I can a. sit; b. zone out, so I really don't mind it.

It's never been that big a deal to me. I've used disposables here & there, such as when we've been on vacation or the time the girls were on antibiotics & had diarrhea that necessitated serious rash cream that wasn't Fuzzi Bunz friendly.

That said, I didn't have two older kids when I had twins and maybe if I was already doing laundry for two more people in addition to the newborns I had who spit up on everything in sight I would have found CD-ing too much.

Congrats on your twin pregnancy!

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
#4 of 35 Old 05-15-2007, 03:21 AM

I decided to stick with prefolds and covers.

Just finished collecting me stash. I figure if I'm already washing CDs every 3 days with a wet pail for just DS, it's gotta be easier washing every day for DS and twins with a dry pail.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#5 of 35 Old 05-15-2007, 09:09 AM

Hi Pamela,

We just found out we where having twins at our 18wk ultrasound also. Congrats. I just thought I would say hi because our due dates are a day apart and I thought that was kinda neat.

We plan on cloth diapering ourselves. We are going to start with prefolds and a few fitteds. If you go back through the threads for multiples there are a few on cd twins. They where encouraging to read.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=621341

Aradria SAHM to : ds 2003, ds and dd 2007 and ds Nov 2009. :
#6 of 35 Old 05-15-2007, 09:16 AM

I was wondering the same thing. We did mostly prefolds and covers with DD so I was just planning on adding to what we already have.

How many diapers/covers do you need for 2 if you wash every 1-2 days?
#7 of 35 Old 05-15-2007, 09:20 AM

I haven't had twins, but do have 2 in cloth. My ds was 2 when ds#3 was born. I have a wash schedule that we adhere to strictly, M-W-F. And I have regular laundry to do for a family of 5, so I know what you mean about staying on top of it. Honestly, it would be SOOO expensive to use disposables with twins.... cloth will be so much better in the end. Get some help in the beginning if you need it, but when your babies are a little bit older sit on the floor in front of a bouncy seat or put them on a blanket for tummy time and sit and fold or stuff diapers. That's one of my favorite things to do. But I am a self proclaimed laundry geek.
#8 of 35 Old 05-15-2007, 10:06 AM

i cd my twins, mostly in pfs and wraps/woolies, but also a handful of fitteds/aios. my advice is have enough so you dont have to wash but once every 2-3 days because its hard enough keeping up with family laundry, let alone diaper laundry too!!
#9 of 35 Old 05-15-2007, 10:07 AM

adding : we did use disposables for the first few months after they came home from the nicu.
#10 of 35 Old 05-15-2007, 10:35 AM

I started cloth diapering when they were 5 months and it was great. There are times when I don't want to clean them but now that I CD I can't imagine going back to putting those chemical filled possible sterilizers on my children! That is what keeps me going on the hard days. Whether or not it is true that they can cause sterilization from the chemicals, just the idea of it is enough to stop me from using them! It really isn't that bad though.
#11 of 35 Old 05-15-2007, 11:06 AM

We cd our twins--and, at the time they were born, my daughter was still in diapers, too. It was really not a huge deal--but I also had/have enough that I could let the dipes go an extra day if need be (35-40, I think). I whittled down to (almost) exclusively FB's. I stuff them right out of the dryer, but I know plenty of people who just stuff them as they need them. If you're concerned about time issues in the beginning (rightly so!) and also having to switch up sizes quickly, you might consider a diaper service for the first couple of months, then switch over to the do-it-yourself once your babies have grown into a stable size (like medium FB's for example). It's a good compromise. I started with sposies since my boys were preemies, then got them into Kissaluvs asap, then switched to FBs after they outgrew the Kissaluvs. I should add that I use 7th Gen. sposies at night and on trips, but that's just because I'm lazy and don't want to mess around with finding the *perfect* nighttime diaper with them that I did for my daughter--and I hate having to change wet sheets in the meantime until I find that *perfect* dipe! Oh, and about the expense of sposies--in the beginning when they were wearing preemie/nb size diapers, I distinctly remember thinking, "there goes another 25 cents!" with every diaper change, lol!

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#12 of 35 Old 05-15-2007, 11:08 AM

I am cloth diapering three right now, my two year old and my three month old twins. It's really no big deal to me; I've always used cloth diapers and don't know any different, I guess. It takes 5 minutes to throw them in the wash every night, and 5 minutes in the morning to move them to the dryer. I don't bother with folding them and putting them away or any of that-- we just use them so fast there's no point.

I have a really varied stash, with prefolds, fitteds, pockets, and AIOs with a whole variety of covers. I buy a few of this, a few of that, so that I get variety, 'cause each diaper is really good in different situations.

I can't afford sposies, period. That was a no-brainer for me when I realized we'd have three in dipes at once. Just like breastfeeding was a no-brainer; aside from all the other extremely compelling reasons, who the heck can afford formula for two babies at once?

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#13 of 35 Old 05-15-2007, 12:55 PM

Ok I haven't CD'd twins but I CD'd my son (and still do). I NEVER fill my washer, so In all honesty I don't expect more laundry then what I do now since I can wash the twins diapers with his (unless is starts bothering their skin). We do plan to diaper service for the first month or so, but only for simplicity sake. We probally don't need to, but It means less diapers to make (Just need mediums and up).

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#14 of 35 Old 05-15-2007, 01:30 PM

We used a service for the first year, and most of that was paid for by other people, I included it on baby shower wish lists, but it was cheaper than disposies anyway. Around 9 months we started to transition, lessened the amount of service as I started buying diapers.
As far as the "inconvenience" you just get used to it. I have enough now that I only do laundry every 3 days which works fine for me. Whenever my husband is home they are his job anyway (changes and rinsing), like evenings and weekends.

mom of twins.gif boys born 9/13/05 and dog2.gifdog2.gif

#15 of 35 Old 05-15-2007, 02:57 PM

I cloth diaper my twins. I use Mother-Ease (I think I have 30), it's easier for me if all the diapers are the same (that way I'm not always searching through the pile for the "good" ones). I wash every other day. The hard part is finding time to dunk all the diapers. I end up with quite a pile before I get to them sometimes. I used paper on a trip last summer, it really wasn't easier and a huge amount of stinky garbage built up. I feel really good about using cloth, and I know I've saved thousands of dollars. When I use paper I use 7th Gen.
#16 of 35 Old 05-15-2007, 02:57 PM

Full disclosure.... no way no how was I cd'ing premature newborns. So we used Pampers Swaddlers. Once they weren't peeing and pooping 24/7, we used Fuzzi Bunz - all white - with Joey Bunz stuffers. No cute designs, no prints. Just one type of diaper for both of them (boy/girl twins). I kept a bucket in the powder room with a bottle of Bac-out next to it. Diapers got squirted then thrown in the bucket. At night, I washed all the dipes on hot with a 2nd rinse in our regular detergent (a free & clear variety) with a few extra squirts of Bac-out. One load a day. I'd dry em and restuff them and set them out the next morning. I found that washing every day meant a.) no stains, b.) no smells, c.) no daunting diaper backlog, and d.) fewer diapers were needed meaning a lot less $$$. Once they were toddlers I was d-o-n-e with cloth diapers (and their ability to remove them at whim) we used drat, what were they called, oh the Seventh Generation ones and we also used pull-ups when they were potty training.

Not wanting to get flamed here, but I really do not suggest buying one of those packages where you get different sizes... just get one size at a time. And don't kill yourself if you want to use sposies for the meconium (or 19 breastmilk-poo-squirts-a-day phase) or want to switch back to sposies for traveling or at night or when they're older. Honestly, of ALL of the AP/NFL things we did, this is the least important IMO. My opinion about CDing -- especially twins -- is, sure give it a go, find a system that works, but don't kill yourself. This is one of those things that if you're not sleeping and you're tearing your hair out, LET IT GO.
#17 of 35 Old 05-15-2007, 03:07 PM

We have Kissaluvs for now and the babies have out grown them. I am in the process of figuring out which diaper to switch to, I am leaning towards BumGenius. Getting the washing done isn't hard, like previous posters we put the laundry in before we go to bed but then again these are our first babies so there isn't a ton of other laundry.
#18 of 35 Old 05-15-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewhammy View Post
I cloth diaper my twins. I use Mother-Ease (I think I have 30), it's easier for me if all the diapers are the same (that way I'm not always searching through the pile for the "good" ones). I wash every other day. The hard part is finding time to dunk all the diapers. I end up with quite a pile before I get to them sometimes. I used paper on a trip last summer, it really wasn't easier and a huge amount of stinky garbage built up. I feel really good about using cloth, and I know I've saved thousands of dollars. When I use paper I use 7th Gen.
Wow, you dunk? I've never bothered.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#19 of 35 Old 05-15-2007, 04:44 PM

I also exclusively CD my twins and for a while had 3 in diaps. It really isn't a big deal....I just wash every night. I mostly use fuzzibunz with a few prefolds, aios and other odds and ends. I used kissaluvs when they were newborns.

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

#20 of 35 Old 05-15-2007, 04:52 PM

I dunk too, but only once solid food poops start coming. If it starts leaving "residue" in the wash it's time to dunk. Breastfed poops are water soluble so there was no need. I find we get terrible ammonia buildup if I don't dunk the poopy ones now (wet ones go in the pail as is)

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#21 of 35 Old 05-15-2007, 06:06 PM

It's been no problem for me to cd my twins (who are going on 14 months now). We've done it since day 1, using primarily fitteds & wool covers with a couple of Bummis thrown in. I dunno - it's just not a big deal. We launder them ourselves, every other day. It's just another load of laundry - no biggie. I wouldn't do it any other way. Oh, we do have a minishower that we've always used to spray off poopie diapers (even only bm poops just b/c that's my preference). When I'm busy I throw the poopie dipes in the sink and then rinse them when the twins are asleep.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#22 of 35 Old 05-15-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarnspice View Post
How many diapers/covers do you need for 2 if you wash every 1-2 days?
We have 24 pockets (love the BumGenius one-size 2.0!), 20 prefolds, 4 'New' Thirsties covers, and wash about every 2-2.5 days. We actually only use about 8-12 prefolds per load. We don't usually prestuff (except what we take in the diaper bag on outings) just work out of the laundry basket and stuff as we go. We let the babies have some diaper free time while we stuff their next dip. I like the pockets best cause we can usually go for longer between changes and the babies skin still feels dry.

On a 10 day road trip we took in march we used disposable and it was aweful to see how much trash was generated, plus they leaked so much more, especially at night . I am so glad we use cloth!

We had initially started out with disposable because I didn't think it was realistic to CD twins , but it's actually not hard at all and we've never looked back since we made the switch. I hope it works out for you, and congradulations on expecting twins. Twins are such a wonderful blessing!

Mama to DS & DD, 4 years old TWINS 
Birthing/Postpartum RN on my "free time".
#23 of 35 Old 05-15-2007, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I currently cloth diaper both of my sons (2 1/2 and 10 months) part time. The honeymoon is over for me with cloth diapering, but I press on because I spent a lot of money on diapers. I think it's a good thing to do but it gets overwhelming sometimes. I'm so glad DS1 is almost 100% trained because the toddler poops are getting o-l-d.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#24 of 35 Old 05-15-2007, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, thank you for all of the wonderful replies!

It is nice to hear that CD'ing in one shape or form is working for many of you. Has anyone used the AIO BumGenius diapers? They sound great (no stuffing, great range is size, etc.). I have to admit, I actually enjoy stuffing my pocket diapers too. Maybe I just need to stuff them as I go. I used mostly Happy Heinys and Fuzzi Bunz when I was CD'ing my son.

Pamela

Mama to ds (8 yrs), ds (5 yrs), ds (3 yrs) and ds (3 yrs).
#25 of 35 Old 05-15-2007, 07:26 PM

A great thread. I have no advice (our twins are due in June) but like reading everyone's solutions. My co-workers actually have a betting pool going on how long they think I'll CD our twins. The only way any of them will win is if my kids turn out to be EC geniuses.
#26 of 35 Old 05-15-2007, 08:37 PM

We have been CDing since 8 weeks (when they were big enough to fit the small FBs). Honestly, I could have started sooner with DS, but it took me that long to feel like I could manage it. In reality, it has turned out to be no big deal at all and I can't imagine what we would've spent on sposies!

My LOs are almost 8 mos. and about 16 lbs., and just now outgrowing the small FBs. We wash every day and a half or so, and restuffing is quick. As a PP said, it is totally mindless. I think we have about 30 FBs for the two babes, but could do it with 20-24 if we were willing to wash more often.

We do use sposies occasionally, especially right now overnight since I don't have mediums for them yet and there is only so much I can stuff in the smalls.

Congrats on your double blessing!
#27 of 35 Old 05-15-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torio View Post
My co-workers actually have a betting pool going on how long they think I'll CD our twins.
Ya know my Dh's coworkers did the same. No way i'd cloth diaper, breastfeed and make babyfood. I'll be done with that idea before you know it. Well we did it all (ds is still in cloth at 17 months, breastfeed until it wasn't safe for my twins any more). The only thing I didn't do for long was make babyfood and that was only because I could get earth's best organic cheaper then I could get the organic produce. This time I found a cheaper place for organics and we'll be doing it again. It's kinda fun to come back and say you're still doing X Y and Z.

#28 of 35 Old 05-16-2007, 02:33 AM

I cloth diapered both of my older sons, but I've had a hard time with the twins. Keeping up with any laundry has been challenging lately, and keeping the twins both dry in cloth has been much more difficult for me that it was with singletons. I commend those of you who can do it all, but I haven't been able to pull it off. Maybe part of it is having two very active boys to chase around all day in addition to my two sweet babies.

But bear in mind that my original decision to cloth diaper was a financial one (though I love the cute diapers I've sewn and would love to be able to pull it off now), not an environmental one.

Michelle G.
#29 of 35 Old 05-16-2007, 04:47 AM

what is "dunking"?? I have 3 on solids in FBs and would love to know how to reduce residue....they seem to be staining even with daily washing. Will "dunking" help with that???

TIA
Tassy
DS 6 DD 2 DDs 7 mos

Tassy mom to DS(13), DD(8), and twin DDs (7)  homeschool.gif

#30 of 35 Old 05-16-2007, 05:46 AM

"dunking" is swishing it around in the toilet

We have a diaper sprayer for DS's solids poops and then they go into the wet pail. I am so so looking forward to going back to dry pail!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page