Has anyone made it through a multiple pregnancy without stretch marks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 05-23-2007, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Please, please, please someone tell me they made it through their multiple pregnancy without stretch marks. I did get some on the breasts and hips with my first 2, so I figured I would be safe with any other pregnancy as far as the belly. Then we found out we were having twins, and I just would really like to not get them on my abdomen.

And yes, I realize how wonderful it is to bring a life into the world, even if it means a couple stretch marks. Come on, I'd like to wear a bikini again without feeling self concious.

Let's hear it!

Andrea mommy to G(2/97), S : (1/04), E & J (7/07)
#2 of 47 Old 05-23-2007, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Made it through without new ones til the end....after the csection I had a few new ones....cant explain that...lol

My ones from my previous pregnancy got worse though :
#3 of 47 Old 05-23-2007, 06:01 PM

I made it through 37 weeks without them, then they hit.
#4 of 47 Old 05-23-2007, 06:27 PM

Well, I didn't get any, but I had my boys at 35w1d. I would gladly trade those last few weeks for stretch marks, though. (Not sure if I would've gotten them anyway--my mom had me at 43 weeks, 9lbs + and no stretch marks on her, either).

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#5 of 47 Old 05-23-2007, 06:39 PM

Yep! I did, pretty much. I have more stretch marks from growing to fast when I was a teenager then from being preggo, and I gained 75#'s. I did get a few around my old belly button piercing which stretched to about 1+ inch when I was full term, now I can only see the stretch mark if I pull the skin tight. I used a lot of belly butter and took fish oil as soon as I found out I was expecting. But I have heard that the amount of stretch marks you get is genetic, but I bet butter and oil won't hurt.

Single mom to twin boys ('06)
#6 of 47 Old 05-23-2007, 06:55 PM

I'm not sure. I only really got them with my first pregnancy. They re-showed up with my 2nd baby (got red again) at the end, and I don't remember if any new ones appeared with the twins. No matter though. The saggy skin from the twin belly will make me never want to show my belly again - stretch marks or not. :

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#7 of 47 Old 05-23-2007, 07:13 PM

Not a stretch mark to be found and my girls were born at 37 weeks. It was a strange source of pride for me (when you gain so much weight and look so funny for so long, you learn to enjoy whatever "achievements" you can find! )

But I think you have to look to your genetics to predict. I didn't get any with my son, and my mom didn't get any with me or my brother (and she has fabulous skin even at 60) and neither did her sisters... so -- did your mom or aunts get them?

I do remember a point in late pregnancy thinking my arms looked very thin and lovely -- like, the kind where you spend four hours a day doing yoga kind of beautiful (except I clearly wasn't doing any yoga except maybe corpse pose). But I think it was just in proportion to my belly (and bum) because after the girls were born, they went back to looking like they always did!!
#8 of 47 Old 05-23-2007, 07:24 PM

no streachmarks here I also gained almost 100# I went one day shy of 38 weeks. I agree with genetics my older sis had none and she also gained tons of weight with her singltons my little sis howerver had tons she only had singltons and only gained like 40# I did tons of butter and tons of water same as my older sis my younger sis little water and little butter so who knows
#9 of 47 Old 05-23-2007, 09:14 PM

OMG!!! i am reading all your posts and can't actually believe there are MOMS out there who didn't get them!!! i am like a map of stretch marks. my stretch marks have stretch marks!!! genetically my family does NOT get them, i did not get a single one with my son (term). but, the twins were born on their due date...
#10 of 47 Old 05-23-2007, 09:20 PM

My mults doc told me stretch marks are entirely genetic. I'm another road-map mom! Grr.

My friend who has quad has NOT A SINGLE STRETCH MARK. Just good genes. She had them at 31w.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#11 of 47 Old 05-23-2007, 10:28 PM

I didn't get any really with dd. With the boys I didn't have any until around week 38. Then my skin literally started tearing on the inside--that's how it felt & the stretch marks appeared. Low on my belly. But, as pp mentioned, even without stretch marks, my belly is nothing to flaunt these days! In fact, the stretch marks are so low I doubt they would show even if I wore a bikini. But that ain't happening!
#12 of 47 Old 05-23-2007, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm so happy to hear that it is possible!

No, my mom and aunts don't have them, so I do believe I have the good genes. Plus I didn't get them from my previous 2 singletons, I was just a bit worried about the twin pregnancy. And yes, I do actually have one that started from a belly button piercing. But I'm not too worried about that one. So far it is only about an inch. I've been toying with the idea of putting a little butterfly bandage on it.

And yes, I got some belly oil that I use every time I bathe. I do need to start taking my fish oil more regularly though, good idea pp.

Andrea mommy to G(2/97), S : (1/04), E & J (7/07)
#13 of 47 Old 05-23-2007, 10:54 PM

I had mine at 37.5 weeks...gained about 63# and had stretch marks only on my ankles, which swelled horribly.

Unfortunately, the "twinskin" is what would keep me from a bikini these days. If I could have a taught belly with stretchmarks, I would actually PREFER that!!

I hate my saggy wrinkly skin.....21 months and I don;t think it's going to get much better. Oh well...of course the babes are great and THEY absolutely love to play with my belly, so.....

Ninafel
b/g twins 8/19/05
#14 of 47 Old 05-23-2007, 11:06 PM

I have a few but they are really low and well hidden beneath my chubby belly. Needless to say no binkin here. I went to 2 days short of 38 weeks.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#15 of 47 Old 05-24-2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninafel View Post
of course the babes are great and THEY absolutely love to play with my belly, so.....
Mine do this too! The real esteem booster is when they attempt to nurse on my now seemingly permanent outtie belly button (thanks to my severe abdominal separation). Gotta love it!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#16 of 47 Old 05-24-2007, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninafel View Post
I had mine at 37.5 weeks...gained about 63# and had stretch marks only on my ankles, which swelled horribly.

Unfortunately, the "twinskin" is what would keep me from a bikini these days. If I could have a taught belly with stretchmarks, I would actually PREFER that!!

I hate my saggy wrinkly skin.....21 months and I don;t think it's going to get much better. Oh well...of course the babes are great and THEY absolutely love to play with my belly, so.....

Ninafel
b/g twins 8/19/05
Me, too, although I also have stretch marks which I didn't get until the end-ish. But the twin skin -- yikes! One tiny reason about why I am happy to be PG again now is that my belly might actually be without the twin skin in a few months.

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
#17 of 47 Old 05-24-2007, 04:43 AM

My stretch marks from first 2 pregnancies have filled out and I noticed one had extended last week. So it looks like I'm gonna have lot more since I have a ways to go.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#18 of 47 Old 05-24-2007, 09:41 AM

Yeah, right. Stretch marks are the least of it. I have the dreaded twin skin. I'm only 14 weeks PP so there's hope on that front, but I also have a permanently disfigured belly button.

I don't have a mark on me from my singleton pregnancy, other than my c/s scar, and I actually gained MORE with my singleton. But my twins? My belly looks like you could just about pull it out as far as it was the day I delivered, the skin is so loose, and like the PP said, even my stretch marks have stretch marks.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#19 of 47 Old 05-24-2007, 10:23 AM

Even though I delivered my girls at 30 weeks I still managed to gain 60 lbs in that time. I was very small to begin with (115lbs) and I ended up with a few on the lower part of my stomach. You cant even see them now. I used cocoa butter everyday on my breasts, stomach, arms, hips, thighs and butt. Dont know if it helped or not. I have always heard that they are more genetic and my mom made it through her 2 kids without any either...

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#20 of 47 Old 05-24-2007, 10:37 AM

I'm 33 weeks and none yet. But I didn't have a lot from my previous pregnancies. Mostly my breasts from their rapid growth from nursing.
#21 of 47 Old 05-24-2007, 02:05 PM

No stretch marks for me - on my belly anyway, my breasts are a different story. Babies were born at 38w3d, weighing 6.11 and 6.2. I gained 52 pounds.
#22 of 47 Old 05-24-2007, 03:31 PM

No stretch marks with my singleton.

Just a couple low ones with my twins (and I went to 40w). But the "twin skin" was a whole 'nother issue
#23 of 47 Old 05-24-2007, 03:55 PM

Well genes or not, I got them. My mom nor my sisters got them. I got them with first son at 40 in around and didnt get new ones with second son. And with my twins, I got more and was 45in around , thats 20 more inches than I am now.. Alot of extra skin and stretched muscles. I even tried all the oils and stuff to not get anymore but that didnt help. I also drnk a gallon of water a day to help with elastisticity, sp?. So I got them but my family did not. But I wouldnt trade them for the world to not have my beautiful kids. I just tan my stretch marks and you cant really see them all that much. I think if your skin is not that elastic than you will get them regardless of whether or not your family got them. Maybe it's to keep us humble.
#24 of 47 Old 05-24-2007, 03:57 PM

No stretch marks here . . . . just TONS of twin skin. IMO, stretch marks would be preferable b/c at least I wouldn't have to tuck them into my pants.
#25 of 47 Old 05-24-2007, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Sorry, but no. I had two small stretch marks with my singleton pregnancy on my thighs of all places. Odd since I actually lost weight in my thighs while pregnant. Stretch marks appeared with my twin pregnancy in the last 3 weeks, all over my belly button area (BUT, I delivered at 33.5 weeks). As my stomach shrinks they just look uglier and uglier. Battle scars!
#26 of 47 Old 05-24-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisLane View Post
Not a stretch mark to be found and my girls were born at 37 weeks. It was a strange source of pride for me (when you gain so much weight and look so funny for so long, you learn to enjoy whatever "achievements" you can find! )
lol-me too! I had my twins at 37 weeks and not a stretchmark at all!

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

#27 of 47 Old 05-24-2007, 07:55 PM

No stretch marks here either. 2 pregnancies - 39w4d and 37w. I too had a few stretch marks from when I was a teenager. I gained about 35lbs with the pregnancies.
#28 of 47 Old 05-24-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&G24Me View Post
And yes, I got some belly oil that I use every time I bathe. I do need to start taking my fish oil more regularly though, good idea pp.
I put it on like twice a day, my belly itched sooooooo much! I used a butter, not oil, I like it better and it lasted a little longer and sinks into the skin slower. The one I use had Shea butter and cocoa butter along with some other great oils and smelled like oranges, yum... I could of ate it.

And yeah, get on that fish oil it is good for more than just the skin.

Single mom to twin boys ('06)
#29 of 47 Old 05-24-2007, 09:04 PM

I forgot to mention in my first post that using evening primrose oil might help. Here's what I wrote about it in another thread a while back:

Try Evening Primrose Oil. You can buy the capsules (like vit E). Maybe you can get it in oil form, I haven't seen it though. I'm not sure if it will help with the itching, but it will help with the stretch marks. Really. I use it for a patch of eczema (sp?). So throughout my pg I used it on my left side for the eczema but not on the right side. Guess what? No stretch marks on my left side. At. All. And, um, a few on the right... When I mentioned this to my MW she said that she had read a study that said EPO was effective at preventing stretch marks. Anyway, just a thought. Good luck to you & hang in there!
#30 of 47 Old 05-24-2007, 10:37 PM

No stretch marks here, but I gave birth at 29 weeks. Still, I was measuring about 36 weeks at that point.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page