How big a deal is dialating this early? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 05-29-2007, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So I had a pretty active weekend, lots of walking, climbing up a hill, dh and I finally did the deed (after a 8 wk lapse), and I helped get my garden ready. Well yesterday I had some pretty decent contractions that did feel a little different from the BH that I have all the time, but nothing regular or anything that continued. So I thought "ok, did too much this weekend, need to slow down." Well then I took a bath last night and checked myself and I am about a cm to a cm 1/2 dialated and a very soft cervix. I am not having contractions at all today. Oh yeah, I am 29 weeks along.

I know that my body does a lot of warming up before actual labor; I was at least 4 cm before labor with my singletons. But I am concerned that this might be a little too soon to start dialating. I really don't want to call the clinic and start a series of interventions when this might just be what my body is going to do. Has anyone else dialated early but still went term or close to term? Should I be calling my MW?

Andrea mommy to G(2/97), S : (1/04), E & J (7/07)
#2 of 24 Old 05-29-2007, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd call the midwife, that seems a little early for dilation to me.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#3 of 24 Old 05-29-2007, 02:22 PM

You really don't want to have them yet, and if you do, you want to make sure they have had steroids. I would call asap. You probably need to be put on a monitor for awhile, to see if youa re having contractions you aren't feeling (very common with twins).

I know, relax, don't over react. However, you want to do everything in your power to keep those babies out of the NICU as much as possible and with twins, coming early is a very real possiblilty. THank G** it is there, but there isn't a worse place on earth to be!!

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#4 of 24 Old 05-29-2007, 03:17 PM

I to have had the same thing for the past week and was almost going to go into Emergency last Sunday b/c of stronger contractions, heart beating a million and one mph and hard time breathing.
I would not even know how to check my self or what I was.
I hate going to the hos. and just layed down and slept most of the day.
I am 30 weeks today and wonder if that is when twin mom's just start getting even more practice with B&H.
shawnii
#5 of 24 Old 05-29-2007, 04:02 PM

shawnii: It is. I'm 31 weeks and had to go it for BH last week. My cervix is shortening, but luckily not dilating yet. NICU is NO fun and I'm sure it's even worse for moms of preemies, so I'd rather make sure we're all ok (or at least shot up with steroids and terb) then risk an early arrival. I was told that this is probally my normal Irritable uterus pattern and as long as it doesn't get worse then that I should be ok (i was getting mild BH every 2-3 min lasting 45 sec long). Welcome to the last two months my fellow MOMs to be, we're in for an uncomfy ride :P.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#6 of 24 Old 05-29-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&G24Me View Post
So I had a pretty active weekend, lots of walking, climbing up a hill, dh and I finally did the deed (after a 8 wk lapse), and I helped get my garden ready. Well yesterday I had some pretty decent contractions that did feel a little different from the BH that I have all the time, but nothing regular or anything that continued. So I thought "ok, did too much this weekend, need to slow down." Well then I took a bath last night and checked myself and I am about a cm to a cm 1/2 dialated and a very soft cervix. I am not having contractions at all today. Oh yeah, I am 29 weeks along.

I know that my body does a lot of warming up before actual labor; I was at least 4 cm before labor with my singletons. But I am concerned that this might be a little too soon to start dialating. I really don't want to call the clinic and start a series of interventions when this might just be what my body is going to do. Has anyone else dialated early but still went term or close to term? Should I be calling my MW?

Yes call your MW! No question. It seems way to early. You might need to go on bed rest and probably no sex... sorry.

Single mom to twin boys ('06)
#7 of 24 Old 05-29-2007, 04:39 PM

Definately call!!! I delivered my girls at 30 weeks after dilating for 3 weeks and bedrest. The first week I was 1cm, the 2nd 2cm, and the 3rd I was 5cm. I didnt have a single contraction with them....

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#8 of 24 Old 05-29-2007, 05:47 PM

You definitely should call. BH contractions are pretty normal but dialating at 29 weeks isn't normal. Like the other moms said, it is better to be safe than sorry. My twins were 34 weekers and they had 9 days of NICU time. I have never experienced anything as horrible as seeing my child hooked up to a ventilator and hating myself for not doing more to keep them in longer. There were many 29 week and around there babies in the NICU when my twins were there and they don't all live. Please do not take that kind of a chance with your twins.
#9 of 24 Old 05-29-2007, 07:06 PM

I am going to go in if mine get bad again. They were painfull and waking me up over the weekend but I have not felt any today. I also had some major pressure down there and could not get off the toilet after I went pee because of the pain and pressure of trying to get up. I have just had major headackes the past few days now.
I went through a month of NICU and PICU with my last baby, he had a heart birth defect and had to under go many surgeries and even had to have one done hours after birth. I went through a ton of tears and emotions and don't want to do that again, we didn't even know there was going to be a problem with him. Plus I had to drive 45 min. each way to the hos. every day and find people to watch my 6 other kids. I remember one of the hardest parts for me was watching the babies and children around me fighting for there life and I seen a mom holding her baby girls hand and crying as they turned off her life support.
So No I don't want to go through that trama again.
shawnii
#10 of 24 Old 05-29-2007, 09:13 PM

Please call your MW, if you haven't already. I had a run of weak contractions at 27 weeks and ended up 1/2-1cm. I was admitted and put on bedrest and pretty much every known antitocolytic drug they have, and still ended up giving birth at 29 weeks. Good luck and please please call!

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#11 of 24 Old 05-30-2007, 04:05 AM

I had what I'm sure is PTL at 27 weeks. My DH checked me and I was almost 2cm dilated. I think that was the kick in the butt that I absolutely HAD to slow down. I also have said no more sex, 2x the naps, no extra lifting or walking. I've noticed a huge change in less BH this way.

Now at 30+wk I only get them if I've been walking around in the heat for more than 15min or get stressed out from my kids or forget to drink enough water or stand in the kitchen for too long. I know what brings them on so I know what to do to prevent them.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#12 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the posts and the concern. I haven't called the MW yet, and that is mostly due to the fact that I haven't been having contractions, and I checked myself again last night and could hardly feel my cervix. And what I could feel, felt like it had closed up again. Plus I had a busy day and just didn't get to it.

I am certainly going to pay closer attention though. I have an appt. next week and will ask them to check me.

At what point would you think I wouldn't have to really worry. Obviously 40 weeks is ideal, if not 38 or 39. But at 34/35 weeks do you think we are past the big point of concern?

#13 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 01:59 AM

Quote:
At what point would you think I wouldn't have to really worry. Obviously 40 weeks is ideal, if not 38 or 39. But at 34/35 weeks do you think we are past the big point of concern?
Its hard to say. My twins were born at 36 weeks and spent time in the nicu due to immature lungs, 5 days and 21 days. Most 34/35 weekers I've known have spent time in the nicu. I think 37 weeks is more realistic for being the big point of concern.
#14 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Concern over death or concern over health? Nowadays, most babies survive (quite well) at 34/35 weeks. However, most still have greater risks and challenges. For example, many preemies have more trouble breastfeeding because their "suck" develops late in the pregnancy. Also, preemies are at much greater risk from illnesses during their first year of life.

BTW, I have four children, all born full term and quite healthy, but I still worry about them daily <g>.
#15 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 10:29 AM

For death it would be about 34 weeks like the previous poster said. After 34 weeks I think it is 95% of all babies will make it. As for NICU stay the ideal is 37 weeks which is considered full term for twins. My doctor told me the goal was at least 36 weeks.
#16 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 11:48 AM

Here is a page someone sent me about the survival rates at various gestation.

#17 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
Interesting. Makes me glad I am a couple days shy of the 30 week mark.

#18 of 24 Old 06-01-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Is that table part of a published study? I'm pretty skeptical of some of the "soft" data in there, i.e. "Risk of family emotional stress." Also looking at the notes below, I think the data is from a non-U.S. study. I'm pretty sure I've seen better data than this, though I have no time to find it because the girls just woke up.:

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#19 of 24 Old 06-01-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGirlieMama View Post
Is that table part of a published study? I'm pretty skeptical of some of the "soft" data in there, i.e. "Risk of family emotional stress." Also looking at the notes below, I think the data is from a non-U.S. study. I'm pretty sure I've seen better data than this, though I have no time to find it because the girls just woke up.:
I definitely agree with you. I was discussing the same thing with another twin mom last night and we agree that alot of that info is wrong. I was pretty stressed out when my babies were in the NICU and mine were 34 weeks. The cost was definitely high too. It was in the hundred thousands for each I believe.
#20 of 24 Old 06-01-2007, 11:19 AM

No idea. Just what someone sent me a while back... she'd had a 27 weeker and thought I'd be interested.

#21 of 24 Old 06-01-2007, 12:09 PM

I was never checked for dilation until 36 weeks. BUT, whenever I had BH contractions and/or felt a lot of cervix-type stuff going on (started around 30 weeks), I put myself on a modified bedrest and took it easy. I made sure to get at least 4 to 6 hours each day of horizontal resting time. I was moving furniture 8 months pregnant with my singletons-- my twin pregnancy was a whole different ballgame.

Call your provider, and definitely take it easier from this point on.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#22 of 24 Old 06-01-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyc View Post
I was never checked for dilation until 36 weeks. BUT, whenever I had BH contractions and/or felt a lot of cervix-type stuff going on (started around 30 weeks), I put myself on a modified bedrest and took it easy. I made sure to get at least 4 to 6 hours each day of horizontal resting time. I was moving furniture 8 months pregnant with my singletons-- my twin pregnancy was a whole different ballgame.

Call your provider, and definitely take it easier from this point on.

Well said!
#23 of 24 Old 06-01-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk_heidi View Post
I definitely agree with you. I was discussing the same thing with another twin mom last night and we agree that alot of that info is wrong. I was pretty stressed out when my babies were in the NICU and mine were 34 weeks. The cost was definitely high too. It was in the hundred thousands for each I believe.
Yeah, our total hospital bill was just a hair under a million for my 29-weekers. I'd put that in the "high" category! And considering I and all the other mamas I know with babies born around that age still suffer from some level of PTSD, I'm going to go with high emotional stress, too.

Quote:
No idea. Just what someone sent me a while back... she'd had a 27 weeker and thought I'd be interested.
I wonder if she thought it was accurate.

#24 of 24 Old 06-01-2007, 02:20 PM

Well, considering she ultra-mainstream and reads no research for herself... I just read and it and thought, oh OK. I did wonder about some of it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyc
I call it horizontal time also! And I do the same exact thing. As soon as I suspect I overdid it, I lay down.

It's hard isn't it? In my mind I'm 7mo pregnant and can do anything as before, but physically, I can do less than I was at fullterm before.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page