BTW, this is just for curiosity's sake.
I have also read that women have a greater chance of conceiving twins right after coming off the pill.
ETA: Not a mom of twins.
I think I ate/eat a lot of dairy, but I don't know if it's a lot compared to the rest of the world, ya know?
I believe the pill thing is empirically true, although not scientifically proven.
mom of (8) (5) (3) and born at home on Christmas day!
I'm 24, was bfing, was not on the pill (ever), no fertility meds, my maternal great grandmother had twins, and I'm not overweight.
They were conceived during my 2nd cycle following a D&C for a missed miscarriage.
We just got lucky, I guess!
I have spent a lot of time wondering (particularly in those long nights in the early weeks) about what happened the day the embryo split into two. Does any one else think about that? I wish we knew more about what causes twinning, especially MZ twinning which seems to freaking random...
we just got lucky with spontaneous frats! and the older they get, the luckier i feel its hard and overwhelming at times, but the Lord sure had a reason for giving us these 2 babes together and i thank Him for it every night
A bit - full figured
Ate lots of sweet potatoes
Always been a very lucky person (see username)
But I bet it was the two embryos we tranferred that did the trick
Very skinny when conceived
No yams or anything of the sort
Not bf nor was I on the pill (wasnt for 7 years before conceiving)
No help from fertility, got pg with them on the first try
Pretty sure mine are DZ, though we could be surprised with MZ. But none of the factors apply other than I was still breastfeeding. I did ovulate one week later than is typical for me.
Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to DD (9yr), DS (3yr), & UC twin DDs (5yr)
A bit on the heavy side
33 when I got pregnant
I stopped the BC pill in December and started trying in May and conceived the kids in July. We were hoping for a honeymoon baby but I'll take my surpise twins instead
love dairy (mmmm cheese)
no pill, no fertility treatment
my father is a fraternal
Conceived first cycle after a miscarriage
have one child on earth
i'm 27, i'm not old LOL
and i'm having MZ twins... so it's really just luck!
Otherwise I'm 30, not overweight, there are some twins back in the family that I never knew existed until we got pregnant, I do love yams but don't eat them all that much, and I suppose I eat a lot of dairy but not too much, and we did not do fertility! Don't know yet whether ours are fraternal or ID.
1. Not much history of twinning. My paternal grandmother had fraternal twins. My husband's great-grandfather was a twin. (Our twins are identical, though).
2. Grow or gain weight: BMI just under 22 pre-pregnancy, so nope on that count. But I am tall.
3. Wait till you're older: No, boys were born shortly before my thirthieth birthday.
4. Have more twins: No.
5. Yams and Diary: no yams, but LOTS of dairy (mostly tons of milk).
6. Fertility Assistance: No.
7. Larger Family: I guess so. . . babes are #4 and #5
8. Conceive while breastfeeding: no. . . I would have LOVED always to be able to get pregnant while BFing.
9. Get Preg. on the pill: No.
10. Just get lucky: YES! I wished for years and years that I would someday have twins - especially identicals.
Other suspicions: STRESS! I once read that twins were more likely in cases of high stress, this having been observed in victims of abuse and in post-war regions. I could never find this reference after becoming pregnant with twins, so it must not be a very common theory. But I was under a LOT of stress in the months around conception.
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
was slightly overweight having lost about 35-40lbs last year
My great grandmother was a twin (mom's side), my grandfather had twin sisters (dad's side), twins on both sides of dh's family (has twin first cousins from his mom's sister
came off the pill 9 months before conceiving (took us a long time - not complaining now )
Me thinks it is random, may be identicle, will see in 6-8 weeks!
: wife to James, MoM to R and D (Aug 2007) and E (Nov 2009) and Y (April 2012)
Three big girls (10) + (almost 9!);
One little boy (6) and a full on toddler (8/12) born with TAPVR (repaired at 6 days old).
1. My mother's mother had fraternal twin brothers, my father's mother had fraternal twin brothers, my husband has distant relatives that were fraternal brothers.
2. I am 5' 10" and I was 220 when I conceived so I was tall AND overweight.
3. I was 29 when I conceived(found out I was pg on my 30th birthday!!)
4. Oh one set of twins is enough..thank you very much..lolll.
5. Not a whole lot of dairy here..DD is allergic/intolerant so we have none in the house. No yams either.
6.The only drug assistance we had was maybe a little too much wine on conception night.
7. LOL..I loved this one..very funny (DH has two girls from a previous marraige but we only had one child together before the boys)
8. DD hadn't nursed in about 11 months before I conceived.
9. I was off the pill for 9 months before we got pg with the twins.
10. Luck huh? Hehe.
I think about the double fertilization a lot, how it was happening inside me while I was completely unaware. I wonder whether both eggs were released together, or at different times in my cycle. That all that was going on while I was going about my day--doing the dishes, maybe, or changing a diaper--it really is amazing. I did suspect that I was having twins, though not right away.
The funniest thing was that right after I got pg I thought "thank god we're not having twins! I feel soooo bad for people with twins." Fast forward to 15 1/2 weeks at our first ultrasound and you would see me with a big ol' foot in my mouth!