Twin moms--was any of this true for you? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 06-22-2007, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Things that increase chance of having twins.

BTW, this is just for curiosity's sake.
I have also read that women have a greater chance of conceiving twins right after coming off the pill.

ETA: Not a mom of twins.
#2 of 40 Old 06-22-2007, 04:40 PM

Nope. I'm on the slightly-older side of the fertility spectrum, but still a ways away from Social Security! Then, my boys are thought to be i.d., so really only the "just got lucky" part applies!

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#3 of 40 Old 06-22-2007, 04:41 PM

Most of those things related to having DZ twins, and I have MZ twins, so I don't know -- I have no history, I was young (22), wasn't using any fertility enhancers, etc. So for me, most of it was "just lucky."

I think I ate/eat a lot of dairy, but I don't know if it's a lot compared to the rest of the world, ya know?

I believe the pill thing is empirically true, although not scientifically proven.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#4 of 40 Old 06-22-2007, 04:50 PM

Hmm. Interesting.

I'm 24, was bfing, was not on the pill (ever), no fertility meds, my maternal great grandmother had twins, and I'm not overweight.

They were conceived during my 2nd cycle following a D&C for a missed miscarriage.

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#5 of 40 Old 06-22-2007, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My boys are MZ, so none of those things apply.

DH and I prayed for twins, though!

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#6 of 40 Old 06-22-2007, 05:51 PM

I was 29 and 218 pounds when I concieved them, we already had 3 kids, and my paternal grandmother had twins that died inutero. I am not a big dairy person when I'm not pg, I don't eat many yams and I have never had ferility treatment.
#7 of 40 Old 06-22-2007, 06:24 PM

I'm 30yrs old and already had one child. I miscarried in December 2006 and then went on to naturally conceive my fraternal twins right afterwords. Fraternal twins do run on my Dad's side there have been 3 sets in the last two generations. Mine will make the fourth.

Aradria SAHM to : ds 2003, ds and dd 2007 and ds Nov 2009. :
#8 of 40 Old 06-22-2007, 07:24 PM

No family history, not TOO overweight (though I was a little above the ideal for my height and build), 31 when I conceived them, had never had twins before, not too big on yams or dairy, no fertility treatments, wasn't breastfeeding or on the pill, only had 3 kids before.

We just got lucky, I guess!

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#9 of 40 Old 06-22-2007, 09:51 PM

Number 6 here! IVF did it for me!
#10 of 40 Old 06-22-2007, 10:59 PM

Not overweight, no family history on my side (DH has aunts who are DZ twins), I like milk but not too many yams, was 32 when I got pregnant, second pregnancy... just got lucky... and with MZ twins, that seems to be the case more often than not.

I have spent a lot of time wondering (particularly in those long nights in the early weeks) about what happened the day the embryo split into two. Does any one else think about that? I wish we knew more about what causes twinning, especially MZ twinning which seems to freaking random...
#11 of 40 Old 06-22-2007, 11:36 PM

i was 30 when mine were conceived, my 4th pregnancy, was 135 lbs and 5'1, no family history, no fertility help, no yams, i do like dairy tho.

we just got lucky with spontaneous frats! and the older they get, the luckier i feel its hard and overwhelming at times, but the Lord sure had a reason for giving us these 2 babes together and i thank Him for it every night
#12 of 40 Old 06-22-2007, 11:37 PM

this is interesting btw! i wondered how many were spontaneous!
#13 of 40 Old 06-23-2007, 12:09 AM

Twins in the family on both sides
A bit - full figured
Late 30's
Ate lots of sweet potatoes
Always been a very lucky person (see username)

But I bet it was the two embryos we tranferred that did the trick

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#14 of 40 Old 06-23-2007, 12:32 AM

My uncles are fraternal twins, conceived when my g-ma (on mom's side) was late 30s. Lots of Id on my dh sides (4 or 5 sets)
Mid 20's
Very skinny when conceived
No yams or anything of the sort
Not bf nor was I on the pill (wasnt for 7 years before conceiving)
No help from fertility, got pg with them on the first try

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#15 of 40 Old 06-23-2007, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd_deadhead View Post
DH and I prayed for twins, though!
My DH told me that he prayed for twins about 1.5 yr ago. My response? You should've asked me first

Pretty sure mine are DZ, though we could be surprised with MZ. But none of the factors apply other than I was still breastfeeding. I did ovulate one week later than is typical for me.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#16 of 40 Old 06-23-2007, 05:07 AM

Fraternal twins on both of my parents sides
A bit on the heavy side
33 when I got pregnant
I stopped the BC pill in December and started trying in May and conceived the kids in July. We were hoping for a honeymoon baby but I'll take my surpise twins instead
#17 of 40 Old 06-23-2007, 12:39 PM

I think I am #10 and just got lucky. My husband has some twins in his family, but they are identicals and so are mine, and they are not that closely related anyway - his mother's brother's son's children.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#18 of 40 Old 06-23-2007, 01:05 PM

Don't eat yams often
love dairy (mmmm cheese)
was breastfeeding
no pill, no fertility treatment
very overweight
my father is a fraternal
Conceived first cycle after a miscarriage
have one child on earth
i'm 27, i'm not old LOL

and i'm having MZ twins... so it's really just luck!

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#19 of 40 Old 06-23-2007, 01:42 PM

I don't have twins yet, but dh has a huge family history... of MZ twins. I think research will show there IS a familial tie to MZ twinning.

-Angela
#20 of 40 Old 06-23-2007, 08:05 PM

Most of those don't apply to us. Although I was still nursing my 3 year old at the time. And I think I miscarried the month before these boys were conceived. I have heard that quite a bit, about miscarrying right before.

Otherwise I'm 30, not overweight, there are some twins back in the family that I never knew existed until we got pregnant, I do love yams but don't eat them all that much, and I suppose I eat a lot of dairy but not too much, and we did not do fertility! Don't know yet whether ours are fraternal or ID.

Andrea mommy to G(2/97), S : (1/04), E & J (7/07)
#21 of 40 Old 06-23-2007, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Little correlation for me:

1. Not much history of twinning. My paternal grandmother had fraternal twins. My husband's great-grandfather was a twin. (Our twins are identical, though).
2. Grow or gain weight: BMI just under 22 pre-pregnancy, so nope on that count. But I am tall.
3. Wait till you're older: No, boys were born shortly before my thirthieth birthday.
4. Have more twins: No.
5. Yams and Diary: no yams, but LOTS of dairy (mostly tons of milk).
6. Fertility Assistance: No.
7. Larger Family: I guess so. . . babes are #4 and #5
8. Conceive while breastfeeding: no. . . I would have LOVED always to be able to get pregnant while BFing.
9. Get Preg. on the pill: No.
10. Just get lucky: YES! I wished for years and years that I would someday have twins - especially identicals.

Other suspicions: STRESS! I once read that twins were more likely in cases of high stress, this having been observed in victims of abuse and in post-war regions. I could never find this reference after becoming pregnant with twins, so it must not be a very common theory. But I was under a LOT of stress in the months around conception.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#22 of 40 Old 06-24-2007, 08:05 AM

I am 33
was slightly overweight having lost about 35-40lbs last year
love yams
My great grandmother was a twin (mom's side), my grandfather had twin sisters (dad's side), twins on both sides of dh's family (has twin first cousins from his mom's sister
came off the pill 9 months before conceiving (took us a long time - not complaining now )
Me thinks it is random, may be identicle, will see in 6-8 weeks!

: wife to James, MoM to R babyboy.gif and D babyboy.gif  (Aug 2007) and E babygirl.gif (Nov 2009) and Y babyboy.gif (April 2012)

#23 of 40 Old 06-24-2007, 08:50 AM

I was heavy, but not obese (like 10 - 20 lbs overweight when I got pregnant). I concieved the twins right after a miscarrige, and I read somewhere that was a factor. I didn't have any of the other factors.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#24 of 40 Old 06-24-2007, 09:59 AM

I guess I meet #10, Just got lucky :
#25 of 40 Old 06-24-2007, 11:32 AM

Hmmmm....
1. My mother's mother had fraternal twin brothers, my father's mother had fraternal twin brothers, my husband has distant relatives that were fraternal brothers.
2. I am 5' 10" and I was 220 when I conceived so I was tall AND overweight.
3. I was 29 when I conceived(found out I was pg on my 30th birthday!!)
4. Oh one set of twins is enough..thank you very much..lolll.
5. Not a whole lot of dairy here..DD is allergic/intolerant so we have none in the house. No yams either.
6.The only drug assistance we had was maybe a little too much wine on conception night.
7. LOL..I loved this one..very funny (DH has two girls from a previous marraige but we only had one child together before the boys)
8. DD hadn't nursed in about 11 months before I conceived.
9. I was off the pill for 9 months before we got pg with the twins.
10. Luck huh? Hehe.
#26 of 40 Old 06-24-2007, 11:30 PM

None of that is true for us and we ended up with dizygotic twins the first month we went about trying to get pregnant! I guess my maternal grandmother's maternal grandmother had twin girls, but a) they may have been monozygotic (died at 5 days old...it was 1908) and b) I think that is too far down the gene line to affect me (my great-great grandma).
#27 of 40 Old 06-25-2007, 02:16 PM

Lots of factors apply in my case. I was 43 when I conceived, and breastfeeding. I ate yams, and lots of dairy (but only organic non-growth hormone dairy--I've heard it's the growth hormones that do it). I conceived in the 2nd cycle after a miscarriage. I've also heard that a new partner makes it more likely that you'll ovulate more than once (my twins are dizygotic), something about the hotness of the sex. Well, my husband was not a new partner for me at that point, but the sex was especially hot in the month they were conceived, I guess because we were both grieving the baby we'd lost. So there was that, too.

I think about the double fertilization a lot, how it was happening inside me while I was completely unaware. I wonder whether both eggs were released together, or at different times in my cycle. That all that was going on while I was going about my day--doing the dishes, maybe, or changing a diaper--it really is amazing. I did suspect that I was having twins, though not right away.
#28 of 40 Old 06-25-2007, 06:15 PM

In going back and reading over some of these posts, it seems that prayer has perhaps played a part in many of our twin conceptions! In my case, when we called MIL to tell her we were pg with twins she blurted out "Oh! God answered my prayers!".... I think it was MamaRabbit who experienced someone else praying for her to have twins. My response was the same, "She should have asked me first!" Don't get me wrong, I love having my twins but it is something I would have never wished for myself and firmly believe you should never wish for someone else without their express permission

The funniest thing was that right after I got pg I thought "thank god we're not having twins! I feel soooo bad for people with twins." Fast forward to 15 1/2 weeks at our first ultrasound and you would see me with a big ol' foot in my mouth!
#29 of 40 Old 06-25-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymaemae View Post
The funniest thing was that right after I got pg I thought "thank god we're not having twins! I feel soooo bad for people with twins." Fast forward to 15 1/2 weeks at our first ultrasound and you would see me with a big ol' foot in my mouth!
You don't know how many times I've said that through out my life. It's very funny and comforting to know that other twin moms have said the same thing. Boy have I had to eat my own words. Needless to say I'm thankful for my babies and can't wait for them to get here as late as possible.

Aradria SAHM to : ds 2003, ds and dd 2007 and ds Nov 2009. :
#30 of 40 Old 06-25-2007, 08:35 PM

Well I think the only one that applies to me is the one about birth control. Although I was on the patch. I took it off to try to coneive. Got pregnant that month. Low and behold twins. Twins do not run in my family. I am not older. I am only 29. I dont meet any of the other criteria really for twins.....so I guess its the birth control one....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page