Recommend your double stroller! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 06-29-2007, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm looking for a double stroller and welcome any recommendations! Some things I'm looking for - the ability to attach an infant car seat, good on rough sidewalks or for slow/light jogging, maneuvers well in stores, etc., and a decent storage basket. Thanks!
#2 of 21 Old 06-29-2007, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mine is a Graco stroller, I'm not sure what model...it's in the trunk right now..it's front and back, I can attach two Graco carriers in it. It is sturdy. I rollerblade with it a lot. I recommend a front/back one instead of side by side one because it is a lot easier to push one handed. I use my forearm and hand to manuever it when I'm grocery shopping and then pull the shopping cart along with my other hand. I got it used from twins I used to nanny for and it has held up for 7 years now. I can fit lots of things in the storage basket underneath and its easy to fold up. I carry it in my ford taurus,
#3 of 21 Old 06-29-2007, 05:18 PM

I have two strollers. One is the Combi twin savvy- side by side. I know you can attach one infant seat, not sure if their other models you can attach two, you would have to research. I also have a jeep wrangler double, side by side, which is better for outdoor use. although they are both side by sides, they fit through doorways very easily.

i used to have the graco tandem (front to back) but that thing was horrible once the girls got bigger. it was good when they were infants and i could click the carseats in, but when they got older, it go so hard to push around and turn since they are heavier. it is so long too that it is difficult to judge my distance. that thing is so cumbersome....i know a few other twin moms i talk to who said the same thing.....in the grocery store i just put them in one cart and pull another cart. i dont even bother with a stroller in the grocery store.
#4 of 21 Old 06-29-2007, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I have two:

Double Snap-n-Go - It's fine for quick trips to grocery, Target or doctor appointments. We've taken it on walks and quite frankly, it's not the best on sidewalks or uneven pavement. Small wheels. Does have a huge storage basket, but you can't easily get things in and out. It'll serve it's purpose and be worth the $80 we paid for it. I also don't care for front to back type layout, it's impossible to maneuver in tight spots.

Valco Tri-Mode Twin - Just got this last week and it is one fabulous stroller!! Very well made, pushes like a dream (even one handed), has tons of thoughtful features. I love it! We have the optional toddler seat attachment, best idea ever. DD (3.5) loves it. It fits through standard doorways and maneuvers very well. It can double as a jogger (probably not heavy duty jogging) as the wells lock. The only downside is that you can only attach one infant carrier at a time, and that is a separate purchase.
#5 of 21 Old 06-29-2007, 07:04 PM

A Mountain Buggy Urban Double meets your requirements although it, too, will only hold one infant seat at a time. Are you looking for twins or siblings? MB does make a twin bassinet attachment (more $) that will accomodate two infants but not in their baby bucket car seats. MB is very similar to the Valco but does not have the snazzy third child seat option - a definite must for three young ones! Good luck!

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#6 of 21 Old 06-29-2007, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Looking for siblings, not twins. I have a 13-month old and am also regularly babysitting my niece (who is 4 months old) while my SIL is in nursing school so I want want now to use. Plus, we plan to ttc within the next few months so I'll want a double then.
#7 of 21 Old 06-29-2007, 10:03 PM

I have 3 strollers, 2 single Maclarens and 1 Graco Duoglider which I LOVE!!! It is very easy to manuver through a store and is very lightweight and durable. It works well out on walks, we took ours through the woods and it did great! Plus, plenty of room for storage underneath and a parent tray. It also holds 2 infant carriers.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#8 of 21 Old 06-29-2007, 11:16 PM

graco duoglider!! great stroller
#9 of 21 Old 06-29-2007, 11:23 PM

I didn't get my Mountain Buggy urban double stroller till my twins were 2.5 yo, and honestly I don't know how I ever got along without it. I freakin' love that stroller.

I don't know if you can attach two infant seats to it, but you could get one of those snap and goes for the infant seats, then switch to the Mountain buggy when you don't need/want the bucket car seats anymore.

It is an AWESOME stroller - the only piece of child related equipment I've bought that was truly worth the money.
#10 of 21 Old 06-30-2007, 12:06 AM

Ok I checked....mine is the Graco Duoglider.
#11 of 21 Old 06-30-2007, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callieollie View Post
Looking for siblings, not twins. I have a 13-month old and am also regularly babysitting my niece (who is 4 months old) while my SIL is in nursing school so I want want now to use. Plus, we plan to ttc within the next few months so I'll want a double then.
In that case, if you're willing to spend the money, I'd get a Phil & Ted's with the add on seat in the back. We know a few folks with them and it's awesome - just not for twins. The beauty of the system is you've got a single stroller with a second seat whenever you need it but once your older child no longer needs the seat, you're not stuck with a double stroller. The seat pops on and off very easily and the whole thing folds up very nicely. It's quite similar to the Valco and MBUD as far as having a lockable front wheel, air filled tires, good steering, etc. There's no way I'd buy a traditional double (side-by-side or tandem) for different aged siblings but that's a situation I'll never be in... Good luck!

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#12 of 21 Old 06-30-2007, 04:02 AM

I've had tons of doubles. The Graco DuoGlider is the standard double, but a lot of moms complain about the front seat being tiny/short seatback (problem for kids who still nap), and that it gets very hard to steer as the kdis get bigger.
Just fYI - jogging is not advised until at LEAST 6 months and preferably one year old as the shaking can cause symptoms similar to Shaken Baby Syndrome. You should also NEVER jog without a handbrake.

And, personally, I feel rollerblading with a stroller is dangerous at best.

The other suggestions you got - Mountain Buggy, Valco, E3 - are all great.

Christine, mama to Daniel & Abby, 9 and Patrick, 4. Wife to a rockin' train engineer. Gluten and nightshade-free. Multiple kiddie food sensitivities.

#13 of 21 Old 06-30-2007, 11:05 AM

I also recently purchased the Valco Trimode Twin. I love it! It's wonderful on any surface and has lots of storage space. You can only attach one carseat at a time so that feature doesn't work for me. It sounds like you don't need the toddler seat but that was a big attraction for me. The only other con is it's a bit expensive - $649 at most websites. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have!

Sorry for the redundency - I see Kewpie made a lot of the same comments.
#14 of 21 Old 07-01-2007, 10:25 AM

i wish i would have invested in a nice one. right now we have a double decker which requires the baby seats and a jeep side-by-side...it's way too wide, doesn't fit through doors, it's heavy, doesn't collapse very well.:
#15 of 21 Old 07-01-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geishagirrrl View Post
i wish i would have invested in a nice one. right now we have a double decker which requires the baby seats and a jeep side-by-side...it's way too wide, doesn't fit through doors, it's heavy, doesn't collapse very well.:
I have a Jeep side by side and have not gotten stuck in a doorway yet...
#16 of 21 Old 07-01-2007, 07:45 PM

We have a Bob Revolution Duallie and love it. Works great for mucking around outside, light jogging, shopping (fits through any handicap-accessible space), etc. Very good suspension, very light, easy fold, large basket underneath and pockets on the seat backs. 2007 and newer have a nearly-full recline for infants. It has the lowest sun canopies I've seen yet on any sbs stroller. You can also get a carseat adapter to allow it to hold one infant carseat on one side--it makes a snack tray on the other side.

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#17 of 21 Old 07-02-2007, 12:59 AM

I have the MBUD and absolutely love it!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#18 of 21 Old 07-02-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewpie View Post
I have two:

Double Snap-n-Go - It's fine for quick trips to grocery, Target or doctor appointments. We've taken it on walks and quite frankly, it's not the best on sidewalks or uneven pavement. Small wheels. Does have a huge storage basket, but you can't easily get things in and out. It'll serve it's purpose and be worth the $80 we paid for it. I also don't care for front to back type layout, it's impossible to maneuver in tight spots.

Valco Tri-Mode Twin - Just got this last week and it is one fabulous stroller!! Very well made, pushes like a dream (even one handed), has tons of thoughtful features. I love it! We have the optional toddler seat attachment, best idea ever. DD (3.5) loves it. It fits through standard doorways and maneuvers very well. It can double as a jogger (probably not heavy duty jogging) as the wells lock. The only downside is that you can only attach one infant carrier at a time, and that is a separate purchase.
I could have written this!
We started out with the SNG and then moved on to the Valco after we outgrew the first. We LOVE LOVE LOVE our Valco. DD who will be 5 at the end of the month lover her "Queenie Seat" (optional third)!
#19 of 21 Old 07-02-2007, 03:09 PM

Baby Jogger city.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#20 of 21 Old 07-08-2007, 10:57 PM

I have a Combi Twin Savvy and LOVE IT.

full time, single, slightly soggy WOHM to Juliet (12.31.2004 @ 36w5d) and Willow & Adam (2.22.2007 @ 39w5d, HBAC transfer) and... expecting my little womb warrior Eowyn Susanne in September
#21 of 21 Old 07-09-2007, 09:39 PM

we have two ~ for very different purposes,

~a kelty tandem jog stroller for running (i really do run with it) and outdoor outings

~a graco duo-glider (front to back) for doctor's visits or anything else indoors.

the duo-glider was great when they were in infant seats, they just snapped in however it is top-heavy and not very safe for anything other than a very smooth surface. it's fine now too that they're out of infant seats and just sit in the stoller facing forward.

i could not wait until they were old enough/big enough to sit in the jog stroller!! this stroller rocks!!! i've got almost 500 miles on it (my kids will be 2 next month)! my husband surprised me with it at my baby shower!! my husband rocks too!!
: : :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page