Hypothetically... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 07-02-2007, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What if...

Your Mother in law accidentally mixes up your newborn identical twins while you are at the doctor?

Your newborn identical twins are only three days old.

You had them dressed in red or blue. But Grandma took the clothes off of them for GOD ONLY KNOWS WHY.

Can you tell which one was which? After only three days?

Hurry, cuz Grandma is on the other line and freaking out.

Hypothetically speaking of course
#2 of 23 Old 07-02-2007, 06:51 PM

If you can't then you can redo the footprints when you get home and compare them. Or did you leave the id bracelets from the hospital on for such a time as this? Or what about the henna stain that you put on the ones butt cheek?
#3 of 23 Old 07-02-2007, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk_heidi View Post
If you can't then you can redo the footprints when you get home and compare them. Or did you leave the id bracelets from the hospital on for such a time as this? Or what about the henna stain that you put on the ones butt cheek?
LMAO... I have no idea. She (Grandma) called me from Seattle. I am in Phoenix. I didn't even know the babies were born yet.

So, if there is a henna stain on one of the twins bums, the Mom will know which is which when she comes home?
#4 of 23 Old 07-02-2007, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

O.K, I just called my friend (grandma) back and told her to look in the diapers for a henna stain. Her Daughter in Law walked in at that same time. So, hopefully she will just fess up and admit "I mixed them up".
#5 of 23 Old 07-02-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post

Can you tell which one was which? After only three days?
Yes, because all you've been doing for the past three days (besides feeding and all that) is staring at the miracle of your beautiful new babies and trying to figure out ANY way that you'll be able to tell them apart for the next few decades!

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#6 of 23 Old 07-02-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcolorado View Post
Yes, because all you've been doing for the past three days (besides feeding and all that) is staring at the miracle of your beautiful new babies and trying to figure out ANY way that you'll be able to tell them apart for the next few decades!
That's true for sure. But at 3 days I still had no clue if my DZ twins were identical or not! And I mixed them up plenty. Although I can now readily tell them apart in every photo we have, even from the birth.

Grandma should fess up! And if mom can't tell for sure, they can get the footprints done, like pp said.
#7 of 23 Old 07-02-2007, 11:23 PM

Honestly, it took me a really long time (like weeks!) to readily be able to tell my (we think) DZ twins apart... and I was really trying. I guess I fell back on the fact that one had a scab on his head from the internal monitor (terrible, I know, but it's a long story). But I have a hard time imagining that the mom didn't have some way of telling them apart other than the clothes. Although I once read a mama's post here where she (mostly jokingly) said that her kids got a little mixed up and they were never 100% certain that they figured it out...

If you hear any updates about the situation, I'd be interested to hear!

And what is it with MILs undressing babies? Mine seems to be preoccupied with doing that, too...
#8 of 23 Old 07-02-2007, 11:24 PM

Seriously, though...

Any good tips for how to tell them apart and not mix them up? I told DH that maybe we'd leave a hospital bracelet on one or paint a thumb nail....

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#9 of 23 Old 07-02-2007, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Lindsey* View Post
Any good tips for how to tell them apart and not mix them up?
Yes! I read that everyone (even identical twins) has a unique earprint. So it caused me to look closely at the ears of our newborn ID boys in a way that I might not have quite so quickly after their births.

Sure enough! For my guys, it was the top edge of the ear. Thinner on one twin, a thicker "folded-over edge" on the other twin.

Try it out. . .

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#10 of 23 Old 07-03-2007, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManitobaMom View Post
Yes! I read that everyone (even identical twins) has a unique earprint. So it caused me to look closely at the ears of our newborn ID boys in a way that I might not have quite so quickly after their births.

Sure enough! For my guys, it was the top edge of the ear. Thinner on one twin, a thicker "folded-over edge" on the other twin.

Try it out. . .

That is interesting!! I will keep that tip in mind for other "mix ups" I hear about!:
#11 of 23 Old 07-03-2007, 12:43 AM

What are DZ twins? I know about identical and fraternal.
#12 of 23 Old 07-03-2007, 01:02 AM

i am going to need to find a way to tell my identical boys apart when they are born
#13 of 23 Old 07-03-2007, 02:15 AM

DZ (dizygotic or "two eggs") essentially means fraternal or twins from two eggs fertilized by two sperm.

MZ (monozygotic or "one egg") basically means identical or twins from one egg fertilized by one sperm and then splitting into two embryos.

The term "identical" can be a little bit of a misnomer as monozygotic twins can have differences from one another.
#14 of 23 Old 07-03-2007, 02:44 AM

Sharpie is non-toxc and readily available. Seriously.

We marked our boys in 2 places for about 2 months before we could tell them apart.

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#15 of 23 Old 07-03-2007, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdahlgrd View Post
Sharpie is non-toxc and readily available. Seriously.

We marked our boys in 2 places for about 2 months before we could tell them apart.
I called my friend late last night. She said that the Mom had used a Sharpie on the heel of one boy, and not the other. There is also a small indentation in the butt of one, but not the other. So, that is how Mom and Dad tell them apart.

I asked her why she would undress both of them. She said she just wanted to look at them. LOL.

She and I went to High school together, she was always doing dumb things. We used to pull on her ear to "let the air out of her head".
#16 of 23 Old 07-03-2007, 11:57 AM

LOL I could tell mine apart at birth, because they had had TTTS and one was bigger and redder, and the other was smaller and paler. However, when they hit about 6 months and were more caught up in size, that's when I had problems.

One of my boys is more, uh, well hung than the other

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#17 of 23 Old 07-03-2007, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We were lucky - our ID boys, who weighed within 2 oz of each other at birth, looked very different - one had long, thick hair; the other had nothing but peach fuzz on his head - we could even tell them apart in the dark!

When they were 9 months old, and pulling each other's hair, we gave them buzz cuts - that's when we had to start color-coding. We had relied so strongly on the hair that we hadn't learned other ways to tell them apart from across the room. Interestingly, I could almost always tell their voices apart.

One of them has a birthmark on his temple; the other has one on his belly, so we couldn't mix them up for long. Then one got stitches in his forehead, and a hernia operation...

We used to tease my brother that we were going to tattoo their names to their foreheads.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#18 of 23 Old 07-03-2007, 03:33 PM

lol im glad this ended well

fwiw, during those awful first several weeks after the babes came home from the nicu and we were soooo sleep deprived, id forget who i was feeding and mine are b/g lol!!!
#19 of 23 Old 07-03-2007, 03:33 PM

(awful meaning no sleep awful. the babies were wonderfull!
#20 of 23 Old 07-03-2007, 03:37 PM

We all know what you meant

The first few weeks ARE awful!

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#21 of 23 Old 07-03-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaDoula View Post
The first few weeks ARE awful!
I ADORED the first few weeks!! :

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#22 of 23 Old 07-03-2007, 11:02 PM

One of my dd's has a birth mark on her tummy so we could never not tell them apart. And trust me, when they were little, we had to check to see who we had by using that birth mark lol!

If she wouldnt have had it, I would have painted a toenail or done something to tell them apart.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#23 of 23 Old 07-05-2007, 04:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Just was checking out all the GORGEOUS photos of Evie and Jackson (and the other kids!) on RightMama4's blog. Did anyone else notice those AWESOME onesies?

"Yes, we're twins. No, we're not identical"

That's the best! laughup

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page