Babywearing Twins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 07-06-2007, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
My twins are 4 months old and I haven't been able to find a way to comfortably wear them both at the same time. Any ideas or suggestions to make it work??? I wore my first child all the time and want to do the same with the twins.
TIA,
Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 07-06-2007, 09:56 AM

I wear a baby on my back in a MT or ergo carrier and in the front in a slingset pouch. I put my pouch on first and leave it empty, then I put a baby on my back in the ergo and fasten the sternum strap under the sling and put the sling shoulder on top of my ergo strap then I put a baby in the front pouch and voila. They each weigh (I am guessing) nearly 25 lbs now and I wear them both a few hours a day, every day.

Here are some older pics do give you an idea the ergo/slingset combo which is my fave starts on pg 4.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...w1bvng&notag=1
#3 of 21 Old 07-06-2007, 12:16 PM

I wore mine together in a sling for the first couple months and then in 2 slings in the hip carry once they got a little older. Now I use whatever I feel like it at the moment. Pouch, MT, wrap.......
#4 of 21 Old 07-06-2007, 06:12 PM

I wore mine together in a ring sling when they were little, but after 3 months old, they were too heavy. I can double sling them occasionally, but they were almost 20 lbs by 5 months, so just too heavy.

I often put one in the swing and one in the sling during naps (and switched) or put one in the cart and one inthe sling for shopping (still at 2 years old).

My boys actually prefered a lot of tummy time to hanging out with me . My first would still be attatched, if he wasn't almost as tall as I was!!

So, just figure out what works for you and what your kids enjoy. Don't be afraid to try new things. Sometimes that is what works best!

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#5 of 21 Old 07-06-2007, 07:43 PM

I remember going through a really akward phase around four months with the wearing. I would do each in a hip carry with my over the shoulder baby holders. It got easier shortly after they were four months. Now at nine months (and 23 lbs each!) it is pretty easy to pop them in and out of the slings (well, relatively speaking). They aren't into being worn unless I'm constantly moving (not to mention it is JUST TOO BLOODY HOT!) so we only do babywearing when we're out and about. At the store, I wear one in a mei tei and one goes in the seat on the cart. As soon as I get my second mei tei made I'll wear one on the back and one in front as the over the shoulder baby holders are awfully bulky and not as secure (they like to arch themselves back a lot).

Check out karen gromada's website for pics of wearing two.

www.karengromada.com
#6 of 21 Old 07-07-2007, 10:12 AM

i go for a walk each morning with my 8 m/o twins in buckle-type carriers(beco, angelpack, connecta...) one on my front, one on back. very comfy and balanced!
#7 of 21 Old 07-07-2007, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I go to the babywearer.com forums. They have a section specific for carrying more than one. Good pictures and ideas.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#8 of 21 Old 07-08-2007, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your replies. I have an Ergo and a sutemi and have tried to wear one in back and one in front with them. I think they are too small to be worn on my back because the one in back always starts crying. When they are a little older I think this will be the best set up for me. But will someone look at this link... http://www.karengromada.com/images/p...e_slinging.jpg Is this a Maya wrap? I would like to be able to wear them this way now. I don't mind buying yet another sling/wrap/carrier if it means I'll be able to carry them both now.

Jen

: :
#9 of 21 Old 07-08-2007, 03:01 PM

That looks to me like two regular ring slings with the loose ends tucked in. That is pretty much how I've been wearing my boys since they were too big to be in one together and, other than the weight, it gets easier all the time.
#10 of 21 Old 10-11-2007, 06:41 PM

Hi,

Would it be possible to see the pics of you carrying the twins. I tried to go to the link and it no longer works. I would love to see other carrying pics besides slings and not to mention I need the help.

Thanks, Aradria

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingWearin'Mama View Post
I wear a baby on my back in a MT or ergo carrier and in the front in a slingset pouch. I put my pouch on first and leave it empty, then I put a baby on my back in the ergo and fasten the sternum strap under the sling and put the sling shoulder on top of my ergo strap then I put a baby in the front pouch and voila. They each weigh (I am guessing) nearly 25 lbs now and I wear them both a few hours a day, every day.

Here are some older pics do give you an idea the ergo/slingset combo which is my fave starts on pg 4.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...w1bvng&notag=1

Aradria SAHM to : ds 2003, ds and dd 2007 and ds Nov 2009. :
#11 of 21 Old 10-11-2007, 07:24 PM

I think from 2 to 4 mo I used to wear them in crossed pouches kangaroo style. Like this:
http://muddlehood.blogspot.com/2006_08_01_archive.html

(Scroll down and you should see a picture)

I also use to wrap one on my back (sorry, no pics uploaded) and sling one on the front because you can wrap on your back without spreading their hips.

Then around 5-6mo I switched to the hip carry in cross pouches. Once their hips were big enough for a back carrier, I plopped one in the ergo on my back and that's still pretty much where you will always find one of them!

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
#12 of 21 Old 10-12-2007, 12:20 PM

#13 of 21 Old 10-12-2007, 12:42 PM

Thanks so much SlingWearin'Mama for re-posting the pics. I do so much better with a visual point of reference.

Thanks also to 1stTimeMummytoLore for posting pics to.

Aradria SAHM to : ds 2003, ds and dd 2007 and ds Nov 2009. :
#14 of 21 Old 10-17-2007, 11:56 PM

We started with one pouch, added a second when they stopped liking being squished together. Then at about 4 mos they really wanted legs OUT and the pouches were rough on my shoulders. Though I still use the pouches for quick carries (to/from the car etc.) I use connectas, an APLX and moshi combos for longer or more movement heavy carrying. I'm resewing a used SUtemi I bought to simplify the straps to make it a hip carry only carrier. With twins I'm realizing that my desire to have two carriers that do-it-all is perhaps unreasonable. good luck. Nothing like carrying two sweet babes!
#15 of 21 Old 10-21-2007, 08:59 PM

I use pouches a lot. I hated them with my dd but it seems like all I use now is a pouch. I wore them in one pouch and then when they got bigger one on each hip. People looked at me like I was nuts wearing two babies and pushing a toddler but hey it worked

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#16 of 21 Old 10-22-2007, 09:18 AM

Someone told me about this sling, called a K'tan. It's alike a soft double ring sling, that you can carry twins in

http://www.babyktan.com/instructions.html

I have no experience with it though.

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#17 of 21 Old 11-04-2007, 10:27 PM

Here's two 3 month olds in a long wrap .

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/...m/P1010040.jpg

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#18 of 21 Old 11-05-2007, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You look like a strong mama!

I still have not been able to wear both at the same time... my back hurts with just one

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#19 of 21 Old 11-05-2007, 08:56 AM

My back has not been great and usually I don't wear two, but in a pinch it works. I put one in a high Rucksack yesterday and she stayed there for a good half an hour so I have hope that they're starting to get big enough for back carries and THAT is much easier on the back.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#20 of 21 Old 11-05-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenPL View Post
When they are a little older I think this will be the best set up for me. But will someone look at this link... http://www.karengromada.com/images/p...e_slinging.jpg Is this a Maya wrap? I would like to be able to wear them this way now. I don't mind buying yet another sling/wrap/carrier if it means I'll be able to carry them both now.
OWIEOWIEOWIE! OMG I just looked at all the pics and for GOD'S SAKE i don't think a ONE of those POOR women has their slings on right! OUCH!

The two double slinging photos are both unknown slings (the second looks like a sling pouch combo) and are quite possibly homemade. Slinging two and two in one sling are both maya wraps! A sling should never be bunched (like the slinging two pic), esp bunched at the neck! The Double slings photo is two OTSBH, but again, OWIE!

I prefer two pouches or a pouch and a sling because the rings tend to get in the way otherwise. For wearing babies under 3 months I would do this. For bigger then three months I would HIGHLY recommend doing front/back carries or possibly two hip carries (in ring slings or pouches or hip carriers). My girls are pretty small (11.5 lbs each) but that's still 23 lbs hanging off my front when they're in the wrap :

I'll try to post more pics of the girls in pouches and perhaps a pouch RS combo (I only have one RS though).

I like maya wraps, personally. I find them the most comfortable of the ring slings. Alot of people love Sleeping baby productions ring slings but Jan is currently 7 or 8 months pregnant and will be stopping sewing on Nov 30th until as late as sometime in the spring for her baby moon. Her pleating system for the shoulder is really comfortable for alot of people, but I personally find it hurts my shoulder and slips (I have very rounded shoulders though). I also use Maya Wrap adjustable pouches (which have been discontinued but there are lots of lovely pouches out there (karma baby, mother's milk, kangaroo corner... etc).

#21 of 21 Old 11-20-2007, 05:42 PM

Disclaimer: I don't have twins. But my kiddos are 12 months (and 2 days) apart and I do a LOT of tandem wearing.

At four months you might still do well with one long wrap - tie it in a front cross carry, and put a baby on each side of the cross. (kind of angled towards each other and slightly on your hip.)

Soon you'll be good for front/back carries-- my favorite combination is probably a wrap in front, with a Beco over it in back, but two Beco's or a Beco and an Ergo also work well. I've also done wrap in back, Beco in front. The wrap is a little more snuggly so I try to give that to the baby that seems more needy at the moment. If you don't mind the fabric I've found the wrap under a SSC to be the best combo, since the wrap sits very smoothly and doesn't affect the fit of the SSC as much.

I used ringslings in the very beginning (though since my son was older, in a front/hip combo) but one shoulder carries get uncomfortable to me very quickly.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page