When/how did you find out you were having twins (and, am I having them?)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 07-09-2007, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK ladies, this is my third pregnancy and I am huge. I mean HUGE. I'm 6w4d and as big as I was at 15w with DS, and at least 13w with DD. My grandmother had fraternal twins 3 out of 4 pregnancies. Here I am, first me now, then me with DS at 15w in the same pants, then a few of me with DD. Do I need to be getting an ultrasound or is it just some crazy huge bellied fluke? :

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 07-09-2007, 10:36 AM

I found out at 12 weeks I was having twins via u/s. But my symptoms kind of tipped me off that it *might* be twins. During ovulation I had very sharp pains in my ovary, I can feel myself ovulate sometimes but this was intense. I called my OB and he said it sounds like I am ovulating strong . I started showing at 4 weeks, this was my first pg and was very skinny to start with so I didnt think much about it. At 2 weeks pg I starting getting nausea. At 3 weeks (1 week before my missed period) I took a hpt and it was bright positive! My headaches were horrible and I was so tired...My friend had bets that it was twins but I didnt believe her until I saw 2 little babies!!!

If you think you are pg with twins you can always have an u/s. It is better now that way you can find out sooner so you can begin to have things monitored and they also might be able to tell if they are in the same sac and/or placenta. That helps in determining if you will have problems with TTTS and other issues that can arise in a twin pregnancy.

Good luck to you and your bump is adorable!!!

ETA: I wanted to add that the reason I didnt find out until 12 weeks is b/c I didnt want a vaginal u/s so I waited until they could do a belly one.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#3 of 28 Old 07-09-2007, 10:58 AM

I found out at 9wks via u/s. My OB does an u/s to confirm due date. I had no symptoms and was not showing at all.

If they run in your family you have a better chance, so you could be having them but also you start getting bigger and showing sooner than you did with previous pregnancies.

Either way, good luck and keep us posted!
#4 of 28 Old 07-09-2007, 12:17 PM

It could be nothing or it could be something. Not what you want to hear I know. If you want to know go ahead and get an u/s. I didn't know until 20 weeks and I would have preferred knowing sooner.
#5 of 28 Old 07-09-2007, 01:51 PM

I found out at 9-weeks via ultrasound. I was bf'ing when I became pg so my OB wanted to be 100% sure of my edd. That's when we got our amazing surprise. I had no real early symptoms that would have tipped me off. I didn't start showing until normal and didn't get big until the second half of my pregnancy. You can always tell your OB of your concerns and see if you could get an ultrasound soon (if you are comfortable with ultrasound). Either way....congratulations on your new pregnancy!!!

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#6 of 28 Old 07-09-2007, 01:55 PM

I found out at 16 weeks at an ultrasound, but had suspected since I was in maternity clothes by 9 weeks, extremely nauseous, and my grandma kept calling my "one baby" twins and messing with me.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#7 of 28 Old 07-09-2007, 02:34 PM

I found out at 6 1/2 weeks via ultrasound. I had an early ultrasound due to cramping and spotting and because I took Clomid.

Be sure to keep us updated
#8 of 28 Old 07-09-2007, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I highly suspected by 10 - 11 weeks as I was measuring for what was 18wk and normal for me. I did decide on U/S at 12 wk and was so glad to know the diagnosis early.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#9 of 28 Old 07-09-2007, 03:16 PM

We found out at my 18 week u/s. I was measuring bigger, my uterus was even with my belly button by 15 weeks, and I was more nauseous than ever before.

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#10 of 28 Old 07-09-2007, 06:11 PM

We found out at 8 weeks but I had no clues that I was having twins. It was my second pregnancy and no one believed I was pregnant with twins because I didn't look it until about week 28.
#11 of 28 Old 07-09-2007, 06:24 PM

I found out at 19 week ultrasound. There are twins in my family on my mom's side. I was measuring ahead fairly early and I felt the babies around 13 weeks.
#12 of 28 Old 07-09-2007, 06:43 PM

I found out at 6 weeks with an ultrasound. I was very sick by then but didn't start showing until 16 weeks.
#13 of 28 Old 07-09-2007, 10:02 PM

It is said that with each preg you get bigger earlier...I don't know from experience, though. You are carrying a lot bigger than with your other kids... you look great!

I found out at 15 1/2 weeks and was SHOCKED. I had no over-the-top symptoms. I knew so few pregnant people I didn't have any bellies to compare to. I started wearing maternity pants at 12 weeks and I thought it was just bloating and gas that were making my pants uncomfortable. Within just a few weeks I was noticeably pregnant... enough for strangers to feel comfortable asking when I was due (although, as I've learned since having twins, strangers feel pretty comfortable asking a lot of things!) I feel like I found out at a good time. Early enough to get on the right track with my diet (I was doing good, but not twin good) but late enough that I had a little time to adjust to the pregnancy and ease into pre-motherhood. Good luck, whatever the outcome!
#14 of 28 Old 07-09-2007, 11:23 PM

That's way too high to be your uterus, even if it is twins.

You're probably bloated. :

full time, single, slightly soggy WOHM to Juliet (12.31.2004 @ 36w5d) and Willow & Adam (2.22.2007 @ 39w5d, HBAC transfer) and... expecting my little womb warrior Eowyn Susanne in September
#15 of 28 Old 07-10-2007, 04:28 AM

I found out at 26 weeks but I suspected all along. I was clearly showing by 12-13 weeks. I think I measured about 18 weeks at 14 weeks and then the gap kept widening from there. I felt movement at 9 weeks and other people could feel movement at 14 weeks. I think you have good reason to suspect, although it's certainly hard to say for sure. Let us know!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#16 of 28 Old 07-10-2007, 07:59 AM

We found out at our 8 week ultrasound used here to confirm a pregnancy. I knew instinctively from conception that it was twins (I actually thought it might be triplets, but we will take what we can get as we had a hard time conceiving). I wanted to wait until the end of 12 weeks to start telling people, but I was showing way earlier than that! One of the girls at work came to me and said that they already knew and that I should go in and tell my boss before he heard it from someone else. When I told him, he already suspected - probably due to the fact that I was sick at my desk almost every morning (the bathroom is way too far from my desk for me to have gotten there safely ) I started wearing maternity at about 14 weeks.

: wife to James, MoM to R babyboy.gif and D babyboy.gif  (Aug 2007) and E babygirl.gif (Nov 2009) and Y babyboy.gif (April 2012)

#17 of 28 Old 07-10-2007, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleseed View Post
That's way too high to be your uterus, even if it is twins.

You're probably bloated. :
I've started thinking that too now....though isn't that crazy bloating?????? It's actually gone down some, to where I'm a bit big but not THAT big LOL. Which is probably good, bc I don't know how to go from 2 kids to 4! (I give all you mamas credit!!) But, I was wondering, if my uterus is bigger than normal it would have to push everything else out of the way, right?

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#18 of 28 Old 07-10-2007, 03:03 PM

I don't know how to go from 2 kids to 4 either, but I guess I will any day now!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#19 of 28 Old 07-10-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
I don't know how to go from 2 kids to 4 either, but I guess I will any day now!
I did, and I still don't know
#20 of 28 Old 07-10-2007, 09:28 PM

I wouldn't say that you are having twins based on a bigger belly. I am not a twin mom, so just lurking here, but I barely showed with my first until 28 weeks, with my second I was in maternity clothes by 6 weeks and with my 3rd at 4 weeks. When I was 8 weeks pregnant with my 3rd I look about 6 months pregnant! I think its normal to get bigger faster with subsequent pregnancies.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#21 of 28 Old 07-10-2007, 09:53 PM

I felt normal and healthy my whole pregnancy. I had terrible morning sickness with my singleton and next to NOTHING with my twins. I did feel a strong ovulation (I never feel ovulation but this one doubled me over in pain, must have been a jumbo extra large egg LOL!), I was breastfeeding at the time, first cycle after a miscarriage, and i'm fat. I was a prime candidate for fraternal twins and low and behold... I got identicals : . As far as measurements, I measured a couple of weeks ahead and just got bigger and bigger as time goes by. Now i'm 8-10 weeks ahead. I "knew" it was twins early on as well, not from measurements or anything, just because I knew. In fact when we went in at 7 1/2 weeks for an ultrasound She showed me the baby and I told her I was glad she was ok and that there weren't two of them. She was shocked that I would even suspect twins this early, but here I am 37+ weeks preggo with them an big as a house

As for you having twins, I can't say. The only way to know is to have an ultrasound. You do get much bigger each pregnancy, so you can't rely on that, but if you have a strong suspicion I am all for finding out for sure... It was certainly true for me.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#22 of 28 Old 07-11-2007, 03:18 PM

I found out at 12 weeks at ultrasound, bc we couldn't find a heartbeat on doppler. I went in expecting the worst, and instead got the best news ever! I suspected twins on and off during the first trimester of the pregnancy, for a multitude of reasons, but I didn't think I would actually be pg with twins!! Some of my reasons included:

First of all bc I had REALLY bad ovulation pains from both sides the day I ovulated (intense is the perfect word as someone described above!)

I also had wicked morning sickness from 7 weeks on, and I have NEVER gotten morning sickness before for any of my other 3 pregnancies.

Lastly, I couldn't button my jeans by 7.5 weeks pg...and I have just gotten bigger since! My uterus is now measuring ~37 cm (give or take a few) at almost 22 weeks pg.

Good luck..hope you get some answers soon!!
#23 of 28 Old 07-12-2007, 12:41 AM

I found out at the 13-week ultrasound that is routinely done here. I almost skipped it (sure glad now that I didn't!)

I had no clue I was pregnant with twins.

The overwhelming fatigue I get early in every pregnancy wasn't disappating. I discounted that as I had thought I had "twin-fatigue" in my third pregnancy, but turned out to have low iron. I felt very sore and advanced-pregnant all over (never had this with my singletons) but I attritubted both those things to a combination of a) pregnancies can exhibit differing characteristics and b) horrible stress I was having in an unhappy new job situation.

Good luck to you (whichever way "lucky" would be in your circumstances)

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#24 of 28 Old 07-12-2007, 11:50 AM

I just found out yesterday, but I have suspected highly for the last 2 weeks that there was either a tumor or another baby in there! My uterus is about an inch below my belly button, and one baby's HB was found there w/i seconds of putting the doppler on my belly. I also knew I ovulated twice this month, once on each side, and I felt the O pains that I normally do. I have been charting for over 5 years now and have never even though I O'd twice, but this month I was sure of it! Yesterday I went for my first real appt, but it was canceled due to another delivery. I insisted they at least check for a HB, and told them I was measuring big and suspected twins. They sent me for an US and SUPRISE! Two little babies in there! I am 13 weeks today! My uterus is HUGE IMO, and that's one of hte main reasons I knew it was twins.
#25 of 28 Old 07-16-2007, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Great stories everyone!!! Seems I will NOT be joining this board though, had an u/s today and we have just one perfect baby in there!!! I'm both relieved and disappointed LOL. Something about snuggling two little babies just sounds so nice!!!!

#26 of 28 Old 09-03-2007, 08:15 PM

i found out at 16.5 weeks during my first ultrasound. i nearly died! i was just getting used to the idea of one baby and suddenly there was two. the tech said, '.....um....there's two...' and i shouted in shock, 'shut up!' (as in no way, not as in really shut your mouth) and then burst into tears and cried, 'why god, why' for a while. my circumstances are less than ideal involving a history of domestic violence with the father, so it was rather overwhelming at first. but after two days of total shock i'm now very excited and moving far far away from any danger where i can make a happy life with my babies with the support i will need. my favorite activity is just lying around rubbing my belly and feeling both babies inside. was a unique and irresistable joy.
#27 of 28 Old 09-03-2007, 09:15 PM

GOOD FOR YOU for doing the right and corageous thing, for putting the safety of your babies first. and CONGRATS on the twins. It is a very special blessing in so many ways.
#28 of 28 Old 09-04-2007, 09:51 PM

I found at 15 weeks that we were having MZ boys...the biggest shock of my life. I had no idea going into the U/S, and I had no morning sickness. With my next pg, I was scared to death it would be trips (but thankfully only one boy).

User Tag List