Baby A Vertex Baby B Breech delivery outcomes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-09-2007, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies,
I was wondering how many women were in the situation where twin A was head down and twin b was breech and how the delivery worked out. Did baby B turn once baby A was delivered vaginally, was Baby B delivered breech, or did you require a c-section for both or just baby b?
I am 36 weeks with baby A head down and baby B breech.
#2 of 12 Old 07-10-2007, 04:16 AM

For me, Baby B turned during labor and followed Baby A right out in a vertex position. Also, my babies were still flipping around up until 37 1/2 wks.
#3 of 12 Old 07-10-2007, 04:24 AM

This is the same situation I had with my twins. The ultrasound done right before delivery showed Baby A vertex and Baby B breech. After Baby A was born another ultrasound was done to see the position of Baby B. She had turned while Baby A was being delivered.
#4 of 12 Old 07-10-2007, 11:09 AM

My Baby A was head down and Baby B breech almost the entire pregnancy. Once A was delivered they (there were two OB's in my delivery) did an ultrasound to see what position B was in. She was still breech so one of the OB's turned her from the outside while the other had his hand in me to keep her cord, arms and legs in while she was turning. She flipped back once but the second time was successful. I had to push a while to get her engaged but once she was she was out in just a couple more pushes. She was born 47 minutes after her sister.

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#5 of 12 Old 07-11-2007, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegolady View Post
Hi ladies,
I was wondering how many women were in the situation where twin A was head down and twin b was breech and how the delivery worked out. Did baby B turn once baby A was delivered vaginally, was Baby B delivered breech, or did you require a c-section for both or just baby b?
I am 36 weeks with baby A head down and baby B breech.
Our Twin B turned breech in the few weeks prior to the 28-week ultrasound. He stayed breech (most often double-footling, one ultrasound found him at complete breech).

I had a spontaneous, unmedicated, vaginal delivery 3 days before my due date. My twins were 7.5lb and 6lb15oz. Twin B was birthed double footling. He exited my body in two quick, smooth "fetal expulsion" contractions 17 minutes after his brother.

The doctor I had planned to birth with was basically at a stand-off with us because she advocated immediate total breech extraction of Twin B and we refused. She continued to see us only b/c she was so afraid that if she dumped us, we would be unable to find another doctor and end up with a unassisted birth/death.

The doctor at our delivery (at a smaller hospital enroute, due to fast labour) argued for external version once Twin A delivered. We also refused this. The arguments in the delivery room were straining at the time. I had agreed to let her check Twin B's position after Twin A delivered (vaginal exam, no ultrasound present). I allowed the exam b/c she was pushing for the version, but if he would be engaged, she wouldn't be able to pursue the version and the arguments would end. So she checked me soon after Twin A was out. Good baby! Well-engaged; she had to abandon her quest for the version.

Interestingly, my Twin B was born in the caul, which is said to help minimize some of the complications that can occur in breech deliveries (nuchal arms, cord prolapse, etc). Also interestingly, the doctor had such a bee in her bonnet that she hadn't "needed to facilitate" a breech delivery, that she lied and recorded in my medical records that she'd delivered Twin B using the Mauriceau-Smellie-Viet maneover. :

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#6 of 12 Old 07-12-2007, 01:23 PM

I don't really know the details but my mom delivered twin A vertex and twin B frank breech vaginally. They were totally fine. But this was in 1985 when doctors still considered twins a normal variation.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#7 of 12 Old 07-12-2007, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input ladies
#8 of 12 Old 07-12-2007, 04:00 PM

Baby A was born vaginally and Baby B never turned in spite of our efforts and was a c-section. Both were healthy and honestly that's all that matters in the end. Best of luck!!!
#9 of 12 Old 07-12-2007, 06:21 PM

Mine were born that way. B came out feet-first, no big deal. This was in Michigan almost 5 years ago, at Univ of Mich hospital.

I see you're in San Diego -- I would NOT walk into a Sharp hospital and expect a vaginal birth in that situation. UCSD would probably be a lot better. But maybe not -- I was there once and mentioned to a resident that I'd birthed a second twin feet-first and she told me she'd NEVER SEEN a feet-first breech born vaginally. :

Best of luck. Personally I think a good birth is as important as healthy babies.

ETA: Maybe Balboa? I dunno.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#10 of 12 Old 07-14-2007, 02:58 AM

My twins were baby A - Vertex and Baby B transverse. After the first one was born they tried to flip baby B into a head down postition but she wasn't having anything to do with it and shot out feet first and was born as a footling breech only three min after baby A. They just turned 3 last week. I had to search for an OB who would take me on as a patient as I had had a previous C-section but my midwife found a great british OB who was confortable with a VBAC.

good luck
Sarah
#11 of 12 Old 07-15-2007, 11:37 AM

My twins were in the same position and I delivered them that way...A vertex and B breech...at 37 weeks.
#12 of 12 Old 07-16-2007, 10:04 PM

my baby b was footling breech, after baby a came out, the ob didn't wait long to pull her out by her feet. my preference would have been to give her a chance to turn, but I think my ob thought that was the quickest safest way. I was happy to avoid a c-section, so I was satisfied with how things worked out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page