Summer '07 Twins- 8/7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 08-07-2007, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello ladies! Another week gone by! Ok, to start off with, lets do a roll call. Please state:

Name (or screen name)
Babies DOB or age
Boy/Girl combo?

And then, our question for the week: How is sleeping going for you and your babes? Are you getting any? Are they getting any? Where do they sleep best? How is napping going?

And then, just a general report on how you are doing! I will post my stuff later. My 3 yo just had an 'accident'. oh goodie.

Andrea mommy to G(2/97), S : (1/04), E & J (7/07)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 08-07-2007, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fyrebloom
July 22, 2007
MZ Twin Girls

Post more later. Twin meltdown.

ETA: OK now that it's not clusterfeeding time LOL! I'm sleeping fairly well considering, although it varies from night to night. Last night wasn't so good since they were up every 2 hours to nurse, but the night before was every 3 hours. They sleep in their swings due to reflux. They don't really nap, since they sleep almost all the time still. I get to nap in the afternoon when my ds sleeps, or before clusterfeeding time (8-12pm)

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#3 of 30 Old 08-08-2007, 12:16 AM

Aimee
July 25
Identical twin boys

Well sleeping for me is going ok. The boys are in the NICU and I worry to much to sleep for very long but I have had a few nights where i went 5 hours before getting up to pump.

Pierce had surgery today to close his PDA. He will have another surgery next week to fix a perforated bowel and dead portion of his intestines due to necrotizing enterocolitis. He is doing better now however he has some discomfort.
Lincoln has a lung infection but is improving already on antibiotics. He is almost back to his birthweight and is an active little dude
#4 of 30 Old 08-08-2007, 01:02 AM

Name (or screen name): Aurie
Babies DOB or age: June 27
Boy/Girl combo?: G/G

How is sleeping going for you and your babes? Are you getting any? Are they getting any? Where do they sleep best? How is napping going?

Micky is eating about every 3 hours around the clock. Maddy usually does the same, but is stretching that time out at night to 4-5 hours between feedings. They both take 30-45 mins to eat. So at night, I am getting 1-2 hour stretches of sleep 2-3 times a night. The average is 3-4 hours of speckled sleep through the night.

They are sleeping seperate at this point, because they were waking each other at every little fussing.

Napping? They only have a two awake times per day that are only lasting about an hour. So it is a constant nap unless they are eating.
#5 of 30 Old 08-08-2007, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Name (or screen name)Heather
Babies DOB or age June 21
Boy/Girl combo?
Girls- Meryl and Finley

They are sleeping! I'm amazed! My oldest nursed every 45 minutes at night until he was 2 1/2 YEARS. He is almost 7 and I still get up at least once a night to help him to the bathroom. My 4 year old needs a hug once most nights.

But the babies- they've got it together! Last night Meryl fell asleep about 5 pm and I put her in a bouncy seat at the dining room table. She slept through dinner and didn't wake until 1 pm. (That's 8 hours!) Of course she was up until about 3 am. Finny went to sleep about 8 (early for her) and slept until 2:30 am. (That's 6.5 hours!) She was up until about 4. Of course, Meryl was awake again by then. I got about 1/2 hour of sleep at 5:30 before my son was up at 6am. So even though they are sleeping amazingly long stretches at the right times, I'm wishing I could sleep more.

I start them off in a crib and Finny always ends up snuggled against Meryl. Once they wake I bring them into a futon mattress on the floor next to my bed. If they wake again, then it is into bed with me. My older two always started the night with me, so maybe that is why they are sleeping so well.

My big news is that my partner is going to take FMLA time from work. She will be home for almost 4 weeks! Woo Hoo! We are going to do vacationy things and she will be home for our son's first week of 1st grade. Life just got MUCH easier! We had thought she would take some time, but didn't know she had that much time available.

Jeez- I can write a lot and not say much.

I'm impressed with how well you all keep track of who is eating or sleeping when. I took Finny in for a well visit and couldn't answer the "how often does she eat" question. My answer was "enough". We have no schedule for eating or sleeping or much of anything these days.

Aimes- Thinking of you and the boys. As someone else said so well- Prayers for a boring and uneventful nicu stay. Hopefully Pierce is more comfortable, 'cause it sounds like Lincoln is building up his strength and will be a contender for him! btw, both of their names are names we tossed about if we'd had boys.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#6 of 30 Old 08-08-2007, 12:13 PM

Lots of quick healing vibes for your boys Aimee. Sounds like you have a couple of fighters there!

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#7 of 30 Old 08-08-2007, 03:41 PM

Sara
May 26, 2007
Both girls!

My girls are a little older than most of yours so maybe I don't need to duck too low when I say that we're having great nights!

nak now...

We're using the arm's reach co-sleeper and although the girls love sleeping in someones arm's during the day, between 8 and 10 pm they go down with no problem. We get at least a 5 hour stretch each night and have even had a few 8 hour stretches!

I'm starting to notice some napping patterns but I'm not pushing a schedule. Overall, things are going well!
#8 of 30 Old 08-08-2007, 07:35 PM

I have a question for everyone. Do you hold/wear your babies alot? I seem to have them in the swings alot more then I did with my DS. I do wear/hold them like 3 hours each when I can, but I need to nap/eat/pee/hug my older child/hold the other twin. I can wear them 2 at a time, but they are not always happy with the arrangement. I used to wear DS all day except when I needed to sleep. I just can't do it with the girls and I feel really bad about it. I also can't feed them when they show early hunger signs because they will refuse the breast and I just don't have the time/energy to fight them... so they get fed when they cry. Has this been anyone else's experience?

#9 of 30 Old 08-08-2007, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrebloom View Post
I have a question for everyone. Do you hold/wear your babies alot? I seem to have them in the swings alot more then I did with my DS. I do wear/hold them like 3 hours each when I can, but I need to nap/eat/pee/hug my older child/hold the other twin. I can wear them 2 at a time, but they are not always happy with the arrangement. I used to wear DS all day except when I needed to sleep. I just can't do it with the girls and I feel really bad about it. I also can't feed them when they show early hunger signs because they will refuse the breast and I just don't have the time/energy to fight them... so they get fed when they cry. Has this been anyone else's experience?

I find that I don't hold them as much as I did dd. That may be because dd was high needs and demanded to be held all the time. But it is hard to hold them both, and I feel guilty if I hold one and not the other. But yeah, there are things that need to get done. Especially when you have a toddler. And what, you get to nap? Lucky girl.

And my guys have been waking up crying for the most part, so I don't even get early hunger cues. This time when you're trying to figure out how everyone is wired is tricky.

#10 of 30 Old 08-08-2007, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Name: Andrea
DOB: July 9th
2 boys (zygosity still in question, although we believe them to be Di)

Sleep: good nights and bad, good days and bad. Today is a bad day. They are having the hardest time settling in for a good sleep. They keep waking up crying and I took them in today to see if something might be wrong. Basically it could be reflux, gas or a food allergy/sensitivity. Not much good seeing the doc. My own research told me that. I hate seeing them cry out like they are in pain. I'm going to start eliminating dairy and go from there.

Last night and the night before they slept on me for most of the night, and they seemed to sleep better. I think we might try a swing or carseat, but we are definitely not getting any long stretches lately. And they have been so gassy lately.

But they are gaining well! They were both 5# 6 oz at birth, tomorrow they will be one month and they were 7# 8 oz and 7# 4 oz today at the doc office.

#11 of 30 Old 08-08-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&G24Me View Post
Name: Andrea

I'm going to start eliminating dairy and go from there.

But they are gaining well! They were both 5# 6 oz at birth, tomorrow they will be one month and they were 7# 8 oz and 7# 4 oz today at the doc office.
nak

Both my older kids had trouble with dairy so I eliminated it from day one with the twins. I recently tested and while they've not had bloody stools, Finny's face broke out pretty bad and her poop became liquid (no seedy stuff) and mucousy. My pedi says if no bloody stuff then no dairy problem. : I'm stopping all obvious dairy but will still eat crackers that have whey and stuff like that. I think she could handle minimal amounts, at least I'm hoping. She isn't irritable.

Congrats on the weight gain. It always feels good to know they are growing. Hope tomorrow is a good day.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#12 of 30 Old 08-09-2007, 01:16 PM

Tori
May 23
girl/boy -- Tolinka & Oberon

mumm, I'm with you on being unable to keep track. I've never been much for numbers, schedules, etc. so I always guess when I'm forced to answer those questions.

fyrebloom & S&G24Me, I also have some guilt over not being able to hold and wear both babes as much as I'd like. I have no other kids (only some seriously ignored dogs & cats ) but I still find it hard to attend to both babes' needs for closeness as thoroughly as I'd like. I do double-sling them pretty often and we can nurse that way. But there's a limit to how long I can keep that up. I was shopping the other day and had one babe in the sling & the other in the twin stroller. A couple people said (of my son who was in the stroller) "Oh, you must be the good one." I hate that; they're both good and they both get hungry & fussy at times. It's to be expected--they're babies!

I also use a swing at home sometimes. Both my babes are big enough now that I can't safely hold them simultaneously up on my shoulders for burping (a recent fave hold of theirs). Both babes tend to fall asleep in the swing. They will protest if they don't want to be in it and I respect that, so they do seem comfortable on the occasions when they are content to be in the swing. So why do I feel so sad looking at the babe in the swing and why does it feel like such a baby sleep drug?! Having twins is such an exercise in compromise.

We're sleeping pretty well. Usually 3-4 hr stretches at night from around 11pm-7am. We co-sleep in our queen-sized bed, though DH only joins us on the weekends. The crib is full of toys, books & laundry (only purchased to placate DH before he agreed to co-sleep--now he loves babysnuggles, but needs solid sleep before work).

We have no real schedule so my babes nap whenever & wherever they're sleepy. Usually they nap in the bed in the morning while I try to sneak in a shower & some breakfast. Today I have no plans to go out so they're snuggled into my lap NAK. All three of us in the rocking chair is another favorite which has replaced the boppy. I think both babes feel a little too big for the boppy now. Yesterday they napped in the stroller and slings as we shopped for DH's socks and walked the mall. (Geez, can't believe I'm doing that--I'm a serious hiker/outdoors person, but hey, it's been hot, hot, hot and super rainy in S Florida). They're obviously most content being held or worn, but will also nap on the bed if they're really zonked out.

Best thing yet is that they've become incredibly responsive--smiling, laughing and making cute baby sounds.:
#13 of 30 Old 08-09-2007, 02:56 PM

nak

"Having twins is such an exercise in compromise."

Amen!
#14 of 30 Old 08-09-2007, 05:20 PM

Andrea: No fun having screaming babies. I knew from my experience with my DS that the girls were having reflux issues. It was far more obvious then with him as they spit ALOT and he never did. If there is no blood in their stools then it's unlikely they have an allergy (although not unheard of). My son was gassy and we found out it was from him crying so much. What finally convinced me to get him on zantac was when I gave him a little mylanta and he quieted down and slept! I hope the dietary changes help them.

#15 of 30 Old 08-09-2007, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

We don't have any bloody stools, but they are very smooth and not seedy. I just don't even know what to do for these boys. Last night was awful. They hardly slept for any stretch. And when they do sleep they make so much noise. I almost think I should put them in a different room, but I hate that. So I slept most of the night sitting up with my neck all cranked and both of them on me. Low and behold I woke up with a migraine. Yeah, this morning was not good. I hate that these babies wake up crying. Of course they are both sleeping peacefully now. One is in the vibrating bouncy seat and the other is in the sling. I'm thinking I need to put them in the seat or get a swing for at night. I could really go for at least a couple hour stretch at night. I have a really hard time taking naps during the day. Guess I should go try, but of course they will probably wake up now. Sigh.

#16 of 30 Old 08-10-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I just don't even know what to do for these boys. Last night was awful. They hardly slept for any stretch. And when they do sleep they make so much noise. I almost think I should put them in a different room, but I hate that.
I remember those feelings. Not with the twins but my first. I may lose my mdc membership for saying this, but........You can be a good parent and sleep in a different room than your child.: Some babies make a lot of noise. And as an attentive mom you are tuned into every little squeak and grunt, even though it means nothing. I am so thrilled that I tried putting the girls (sharing a crib- they are not "alone") in a different room to start the night. I added some white noise and they are such different sleepers from their older siblings. It might be who they are, it might be who I am now. I think it is that they have their own space.

I couldn't imagine not sleeping with my first child- oh my the anxiety I had just thinking about it. I know now that I would have been a better parent with a bit of sleep.

Maybe last night was a "good" night and you'll have a better day because of it.

#17 of 30 Old 08-10-2007, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post
I remember those feelings. Not with the twins but my first. I may lose my mdc membership for saying this, but........You can be a good parent and sleep in a different room than your child.: Some babies make a lot of noise. And as an attentive mom you are tuned into every little squeak and grunt, even though it means nothing. I am so thrilled that I tried putting the girls (sharing a crib- they are not "alone") in a different room to start the night. I added some white noise and they are such different sleepers from their older siblings. It might be who they are, it might be who I am now. I think it is that they have their own space.

I couldn't imagine not sleeping with my first child- oh my the anxiety I had just thinking about it. I know now that I would have been a better parent with a bit of sleep.

Maybe last night was a "good" night and you'll have a better day because of it.
Thanks Mumm! Last night was better. I tried putting them in their vibrating seats for the night and it seemed to help a little. They ended up with me in bed in the early am, but that was fine.

Finally today I started to feel like I am starting to figure them out. Like Jude will settle pretty well on his own if I put him down, but Ezra needs a bit more parenting to sleep. I didn't realize that I have really been waiting for this. And it seems slower to come with twins because its harder to remember which one consistently needs this or that.

#18 of 30 Old 08-10-2007, 07:43 PM

OMG if one more person tell me "i must have my hands full" i'm gonna snap! Oh and people need to stop touching my kids. Yes they're cute, but I bite! Argh! My DPs still think it's so cool to have all the attention, but It so losing it's novelty on me. I had a wonderful time at target today. I put them in a wrap cross carry, covered their heads and didn't make eye contact with anyone. I actually got my shopping done in a REASONABLE amount of time!

#19 of 30 Old 08-11-2007, 01:03 AM

MamaRabbit (Erin)
babies 3 weeks
both girls (MZ?)

I keep reading about how hard it is to have newborn twins, and I keep waiting for it to get hard. Are they too young? So far it seems manageable. THought the night-time crying jags haven't started yet.

Sleep, what's that? I try to get them sleeping at the same time, but Shira still has some trouble latching on correctly and just needs a little bit more feeding time, so they end up eating at different times.

Nighttime they're awake more, but at about 4am, they'll go down until 8 or 9! At least I get some morning sleep and can tend to other children.

I don't know where else to put this, so why not here....

I am so sad. We are sending my almost 4year old off to 4yr old kindergarten next week. I had planned on keeping her home, but she has not adjusted to the twins well at all. She is more agressive to her younger brother, and it's just not safe, because I can't get up and deal with them while nursing 2 babies. It's gotten really bad! That's actually the hardest part of having twins for me. DD is smart and ready for school, but I"m not ready for her to go. She should be home with mommy. But at the same time, I can't let her abuse her brother, purposely wake up babies, or run around bored in a 800sq.ft. apartment all day with nothing to do and me not able to entertain her or give her the attention she needs. I feel horrible that I want someone else to give her that attention and discipline. I just don't have a choice. I had PPD after DS was born and I'm trying to keep from going that route again. That was the main reason DH suggested school in the first place. So that's our issue right now.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#20 of 30 Old 08-11-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Finally today I started to feel like I am starting to figure them out. Like Jude will settle pretty well on his own if I put him down, but Ezra needs a bit more parenting to sleep. I didn't realize that I have really been waiting for this. And it seems slower to come with twins because its harder to remember which one consistently needs this or that.
Glad last night was better. I'm not even close to figuring these girls out. And I figure they'll just change when I do! I am getting more one on one time with them since Dp took the two older kids away to her moms for the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
MamaRabbit (Erin)

I keep reading about how hard it is to have newborn twins, and I keep waiting for it to get hard. Are they too young? So far it seems manageable. THought the night-time crying jags haven't started yet.
I keep waiting for it to all fall apart too. The frist week I was very weepy, but that is gone. And now it is mostly enjoyable. Perhaps us summer MoM have just got it together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
I am so sad. We are sending my almost 4year old off to 4yr old kindergarten next week. I had planned on keeping her home, but she has not adjusted to the twins well at all. She is more agressive to her younger brother, and it's just not safe, because I can't get up and deal with them while nursing 2 babies. It's gotten really bad! That's actually the hardest part of having twins for me. DD is smart and ready for school, but I"m not ready for her to go. She should be home with mommy. But at the same time, I can't let her abuse her brother, purposely wake up babies, or run around bored in a 800sq.ft. apartment all day with nothing to do and me not able to entertain her or give her the attention she needs. I feel horrible that I want someone else to give her that attention and discipline. I just don't have a choice. I had PPD after DS was born and I'm trying to keep from going that route again. That was the main reason DH suggested school in the first place. So that's our issue right now.
My 4 year old daughter has been the hardest hit too. I think not just by the babiers, but by my fatigue during the pregnancy. I have a lot of making up time to spend with her. She is sooooooo unloveable right now, just at the time she needs it the most. Plus she has been sick with lyme disease, strep throat and swimmers ear- all in the past 2 weeks. At first I just wanted to crack down on her and be stern about her awful behavior, but I realized she just needed more attention and gentleness. Both of the older kids do, but her moreso. In the big picture this will just be a blip for your daughter. School will give her a break from the small house and all that goes with it, especially if she is ready.

#21 of 30 Old 08-11-2007, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mamarabbit: So sorry about dd, that is really tough. I have a 3 1/2 yo dd, and so far she has been really good, but I was so worried. And I am so not ready for her to go to school.

We've had some tough days where I can't seem to keep anyone happy, and I still wish I had another set of hands, but I think we are doing pretty good overall.

Fyre: I am impressed that you are getting out so much! I don't really go anywhere, so I don't hear it too often.

#22 of 30 Old 08-11-2007, 01:59 PM

Erin: I'm so sorry you're having trouble with your DD. It's a big adjustment for everyone having twins in the house.

S&G24Me: Glad things are getting better!

#23 of 30 Old 08-11-2007, 02:57 PM

I just weighed the babies.... they've gained almost 1.5lb each in only 3 weeks!!!

Shira went from 6lb 8oz to 7lb 14oz. Miriam went from 6lb 14 oz to 8lb 6oz!

I thought this morning, is it must me or are they heavier? Sure enough they are. All that mama milk is fattening them up And they can actually wear their newborn clothes now.

#24 of 30 Old 08-12-2007, 03:19 PM

Hopesmom
twins born June 18
boy/girl

We are doing OK. Both are growing great on breastmilk (although Lily is HUGE!) and sleep is...well, infant sleep. They are sleeping with us which is challenging but I don't know if I'd be surviving if I did it any other way.
I'm interested to try and read this thread to see what others are doing about sleeping arrangements.
#25 of 30 Old 08-12-2007, 03:47 PM

Mine are sleeping in the bed with me. At first they were between DH and I, but I've found it easier to have one on each side, then I can roll over either way to nurse as they need it.

#26 of 30 Old 08-13-2007, 09:28 PM

I have to tandem at night or I get no sleep. They don't latch well in any position but football at the moment and I don't produce well unless I have one on each side. They slept 4 hours last night, but then wouldn't sleep from 4am on : . I'm really tired today and to top it off I've been having migraines. I think my thyroid is off so I started taking a higher dose of my meds (pregnancy dose instead of pre-pregnancy dose). I also had lost 38 lbs and then gained back 6... more reason to suspect my thyroid.

My girls seem to have flipped for biggest. F is definitely bigger in the tummy and has more rolls/double chin. W is smaller everywhere... bigger then at birth, but smaller then her sister. She's also the more spitty one so it's not too much of a surprise that she's not gaining quite as well.

#27 of 30 Old 08-14-2007, 10:58 AM

This week has started out rough. The boys had one good day then regressed so much. Today little Pierce is having his NEC surgery. I have been having a really hard time so far but hopefully this will be a sucess and he will improve. Lincoln has a nasty infection that is causing him to have breathing difficulties and having him have alot of extra fluid on his body
#28 of 30 Old 08-14-2007, 12:46 PM

4 weeks old tomorrow... already! I hardly remember what they were like at birth... guess it's all that sleep deprivation. Yesterday morning they were up the whole time, but then last night wasn't so bad. Maybe starting to figure out their nights and days? Miriam (the bigger twin) is really changing. Lots of alertness, putting herself into a routine. Shira is still working at nursing well but just a little punier. Hard to keep awake, etc..

My mom left tonight after 6 weeks of help. My DH goes back to work tomorrow. And my firstborn starts school tomorrow. *sniff*

#29 of 30 Old 08-14-2007, 01:21 PM

Aimee: Here's hoping the surgery goes well. I must be so incredibly tough to go through all this, for you and the boys! *hugs* They will get better soon!

Erin: Insane how they're already so old! Mine will be 4 weeks on sunday and they're spending time awake looking around already. They look like they might be getting ready to smile soon! It's hard to take the time to just look at them and be amazed. I'll be alone next week too and i'm scared to death. I've got a call in to the midwife about what I can do to care for my older child as I'm not supposed to life anything... stupid c-section.

#30 of 30 Old 08-16-2007, 03:44 PM

Pierce's surgery did not go as well as expected, they found 2 perforations and he lost 6cm of his intestne, and has a colonostomy. He was in so much pain even with meds that they had to sedate him within 24 hours of waking up from surgery. He didnt wake up for a long time. His belly is really swollen still but it looks better already

Lincoln was started on steroids to improve his lung function and we are already seeing improvements.

I am going insane with all the trips back and forth and taking care of the girls too.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page