You might be the mother of multiples if... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 08-09-2007, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. …you can explain, in detail, the difference between monozygotic and dizygotic even though you haven’t taken a biology class since high school.

What else? There are funny lists like this for almost everything else. Come share and help create a twin/triplet one.

http://twinkies.bastetweb.com/2007/0...-multiples-if/

Mostly sane mother to twins.
#2 of 33 Old 08-15-2007, 02:14 AM

2. You have discovered that the primary purpose of your mouth is not for eating (as if you had the time!) but to serve as a third hand.
#3 of 33 Old 08-16-2007, 12:12 AM

3. You can nurse two babies at the same time and still manage to read goodnight moon to a toddler!
#4 of 33 Old 08-16-2007, 12:32 AM

4. You can say (with snark) "Yes, better me than you!" when someone at the grocery store says, "Wow, better you than me!"

5. You find it REALLY annoying when there are places that DON'T give a multiples discount.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#5 of 33 Old 08-16-2007, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymaemae
2. You have discovered that the primary purpose of your mouth is not for eating (as if you had the time!) but to serve as a third hand.
This is so true! I remember laughing so hard the first time one of the boys picked something up and carried it in his mouth (so that he could also put two other things in his hands). I was like, "well, I know where he learned THAT trick!"

Another one:

You can pick up a young baby (or a toddler) with one hand without any hesitation or difficulty.

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#6 of 33 Old 08-16-2007, 10:21 AM

When you hear, "Wow, you've got your hands full" at least 5 times a day!

"We think we're gliding down the highway when in fact we're slip sliding away." Paul Simon
DD-7 & B-G twins, 5
#7 of 33 Old 08-16-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadee View Post
1. …you can explain, in detail, the difference between monozygotic and dizygotic even though you haven’t taken a biology class since high school.

And you feel obligated to correct everyone who's wrong about it!

Here's mine...

The biggest way you prepare your twins for school sounds like this:

Me: "Okay....let's go over this again because you will be asked A LOT! Are you twins?"

Them: "Yes!"

Me: "Identical or fraternal?"

Them: "Identical!"

Me: "Who's older?"

Lillie: "ME!!"

Faith: "ME! No....Lillie!!"

Me: "By how much?"

Them: "47 minutes"

Sad, but true.

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#8 of 33 Old 08-16-2007, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

That's both sad and funny that you had to rehearse that.

#9 of 33 Old 08-17-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
That's both sad and funny that you had to rehearse that.
I know. And I'm a bit neurotic about referring to them as "the twins" and trying to avoid the whole unit thing. It's really been recently that people have been asking them directly if they are twins and not me. They look at people like they're speaking a foreign language or something. So I knew when they started school I wouldn't be there to help them out and they'd need to know. They, of course, know that they grew inside of me together and that they were born together, etc. I've just always avoided labeling them. KWIM?

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#10 of 33 Old 08-17-2007, 02:37 PM

You automatically grab two of everything. Two burp cloths... if one's gonna barf, the other one will too. Two diapers... if this one's wet, the other's gonna be wet soon. Two sandwiches... if I'm this hungry now, I'll have a snack for 20min. later.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#11 of 33 Old 08-22-2007, 10:57 AM

I overheard this conversation between my DBF and my dd, Faith (Baby B). He was showing her a picture my mom has on her wall of me and all three of my girls. He asked her who everyone was in the picture and then points to Lillie. She says "That's Lillie". He points to her and she says "That's Lillie". He said "They can't both be Lillie". She looks really closely and says "But they both LOOK like Lillie!" Can you imagine being in the position that you look so much like someone that you can't tell who you are in a picture?

#12 of 33 Old 08-22-2007, 06:07 PM

You experience serious pronoun problems when talking to your friends about their singleton babies.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#13 of 33 Old 08-22-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Hmm the list is gone.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#14 of 33 Old 08-22-2007, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

I'm a twit. I fixed the link. http://twinkies.bastetweb.com/2007/0...-multiples-if/

#15 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Plus2 View Post
I overheard this conversation between my DBF and my dd, Faith (Baby B).
You refer to your child as Baby A or Baby B after they are born.

You see two parents walking with a single stroller and you think to yourself, "Two adults and one child, isn't that overkill."

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#16 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 03:17 AM

if you have four children, and just taking only two children with you somewhere feels like a date!

#17 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
if you have four children, and just taking only two children with you somewhere feels like a date!
:

Or, when one is sick or one is out with dh, having only 2 kids is SO manageable, I have no idea what other moms complain about!

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#18 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
You get asked, TWICE, at the grocery store yesterday:

"Are those two babies? Are they twins? Are they yours?" :

Seriously people, do you THINK before speaking?

The lady at Trader Joes gave me a free plant because she just couldn't imagine how I managed with twins and a toddler. Um, what choice do I have?

You give death glares to the moms who "only" have two children and take the big carts at Target.
#19 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewpie View Post
You give death glares to the moms who "only" have two children and take the big carts at Target.
It's the moms who take it when they have ONLY ONE child that ticks me off!!

#20 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 04:45 PM

... when people gawk slackjawed at you while you tandem nurse and either tell you how beautiful it is to see twin nursing or send you the death stare. The gawking is universal though

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#21 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 10:37 PM

What? you tandem in public? I can't figure out how to do it discreetly yet... well that and we don't really go anywhere yet either!

#22 of 33 Old 08-24-2007, 12:25 AM

I absolutely can't stand the "Are they twins?" question. I should just get over it, but every time I'm asked I give the person the, "Are you dumb?" look before I answer. Maybe I should just say, "Are you dumb?"

Lets see, they look the same, same size, usually dressed the same (get less questions) and are in a double stoller.

Nope. Not twins We had this one cloned. Or maybe it was this one....
#23 of 33 Old 08-24-2007, 01:48 AM

Quote:

Wait a minute here. There are big carts at Target? All I ever see are those plain old regular-sized ones. I end up taking my aria twin and jamming as much crap as I can into that basket (it's like the clown car in there, I swear! I have to do the same thing at Trader Joe's.) Are they the big carts like Costco and BJs have? Where are they? I need those!!

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#24 of 33 Old 08-24-2007, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjoe View Post
I absolutely can't stand the "Are they twins?" question. I should just get over it, but every time I'm asked I give the person the, "Are you dumb?" look before I answer. Maybe I should just say, "Are you dumb?"

Lets see, they look the same, same size, usually dressed the same (get less questions) and are in a double stoller.

Nope. Not twins We had this one cloned. Or maybe it was this one....
This is my fantasy response:
STRANGER: Are they twins?
ME: Actually, it's really funny... They are identical cousins! We had their DNA tested and everything. Remember that Patty Duke show from the fifties? You know, "they're cousins, identical cousins and you'll find They walk alike and talk alike..." It turns out that's based on a true story! Yeah, it actually happens in real life! (smile, shake my head and walk away)
#25 of 33 Old 08-24-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
What? you tandem in public? I can't figure out how to do it discreetly yet... well that and we don't really go anywhere yet either!
I didn't tandem my twins in public until they were toddlers. I couldn't do it discreetly at all when they were smaller.:
#26 of 33 Old 08-24-2007, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGirlieMama View Post
Wait a minute here. There are big carts at Target? All I ever see are those plain old regular-sized ones. I end up taking my aria twin and jamming as much crap as I can into that basket (it's like the clown car in there, I swear! I have to do the same thing at Trader Joe's.) Are they the big carts like Costco and BJs have? Where are they? I need those!!
Yep. At least there are at the Targets around here, but I do live in Target land (hq in Minneapolis). BUT there are only 3, they usually have them at one entrance and not the other. I don't know the BJ's/Costco carts, but it has the regular cart up front with two seats for older kids and a platform (perfect for infant carrier).
#27 of 33 Old 08-24-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Yep. At least there are at the Targets around here, but I do live in Target land (hq in Minneapolis). BUT there are only 3, they usually have them at one entrance and not the other. I don't know the BJ's/Costco carts, but it has the regular cart up front with two seats for older kids and a platform (perfect for infant carrier).
OK, I think I am headed to Target sometime today (without the girls! yay!) and I am totally scouring the place to find that thing!

#28 of 33 Old 08-26-2007, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
: : : :

My friends - all with the standard 2 kid families - almost keel over when they have a weekend alone with the kids. DH and I will take the kids to visit grandparents or aunts/uncles for a weekend 2 at a time - leaving the other parent home with 2 - and it feels like a spa weekend for both of us!

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
#29 of 33 Old 08-26-2007, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
it is not uncommon for your little ones just learning to dress themselves to come out with 2 left shoes on OR 2 right shoes! Guessing not a lot of singleton families always have 2 pairs of the same shoes. I cracked up the first time this happened.

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
#30 of 33 Old 08-27-2007, 01:32 AM

Who said I was discreet

Seriously though I have loose tops, glamourmom tops and belly socks to cover everything.... when I actually care. I wear the extra layer among muggles, but if i'm around family or fellow breastfeeders they can deal with my belly flub showing a little. Sometimes the lactivist in me just doesn't care (of feels the need to educate the world) and I just nurse them where ever. It's very empowering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page