when did you stop working in your twins pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 08-10-2007, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 31, first pregnancy EVER, and husband and I just found out last week we are having fraternal twins!

I am now almost 16 weeks

I am an RN (nurse) who works at least 3 13-14-hour shifts per week. Basically I am on my feet from 6AM to 10PM at night if you include I walk home from work as well etc. I don't actually sit down until about 10:30PM at night! Now I'd planned to work all the way through to my due date January 28th, but since the news of twins I am terrified of an early preterm birth

the days I work NOW I already feel like a tightness in my belly some times during the day (especially later in the day). I don't know what Braxton Hicks are supposed to feel like but needless to say it scares me

what are your recommendations? I have YET to read all the twins books we picked up from Borders this week!

(I am sad also I can't be seen by my midwife because in my state if you are having twins you're considered "high risk" automatically. My OB appt. is this next Tues.)

Melanie, vegan mommy to twin girls born Dec. 2007, and another little girl born Sept. 25th, 2009!
#2 of 24 Old 08-10-2007, 10:01 PM

I didn't work while pregnant, but I can tell you that by 24-28 weeks I was exhausted. I wouldn't plan to work much past 28 weeks because you'll be spent. If you are at risk for PTL they can usually tell by 20 weeks or so and take the appropriate precautions then.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#3 of 24 Old 08-10-2007, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

how can they tell at 20 weeks? By ultrasound?

GOSH I think my boss has NO idea I might have to take my leave early. When she found out she was all like It's gonna be really cool seeing you get so big! (because she knew previous I'd planned to work all the way but now with twins things could be different!)

Melanie, vegan mommy to twin girls born Dec. 2007, and another little girl born Sept. 25th, 2009!
#4 of 24 Old 08-10-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrebloom View Post
If you are at risk for PTL they can usually tell by 20 weeks or so and take the appropriate precautions then.
This is really not true. Many many multiple pregnancies (including mine) are completely uneventful before 20 weeks and still end up in PTL. Even at 26 weeks, I hardly had any contractions, my cervix was long and closed, and all was well. At 27 weeks I was contracting, dilating, and admitted to L&D.

To the OP, my OB put me on modified bedrest as a precaution at 25 weeks, even though I had no signs or symptoms of PTL at that point. I was perfectly happy to do it, though - I was pooped!

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#5 of 24 Old 08-11-2007, 02:31 PM

Congrats on your twins!!

I was teaching a class three times a week for an hour and by 22 weeks I had to sit down to lecture. But 24 weeks it was a struggle just walking from my office to the classroom. I was done with the class at 28 weeks and my OB was glad it was then (and wished it had been sooner) and said he didn't put me on bedrest because he knew I didn't have to stand or move while at work... and even then it was quite hard.

THis was such a difference between my first (singleton) pregnancy...there I worked up to 37 weeks fulltime, a VERY stressful, active job and took the three weeks off before the due date because I wanted to, not because I had to.

So listen to your body. I found being pregnant with twins VERY difficult -- and giving birth to them was (for me) a piece of cake! Every mama is different of course, but there is no doubt that growing two babes takes a lot of effort for a body.

BTW -- my girls came at 37 weeks, no PTL, but I was just so incredibly tired all the time, and VERY glad to not be working.

Good luck with your pregnancy!!
#6 of 24 Old 08-11-2007, 03:13 PM

There would have been NO WAY for me to do that, even at 16 weeks. I am a doula and had my last birth at 16 weeks and after 8 hours, I was soo tired I could hardly walk to my car!!

You need to chat with HR and you boss and prepare them for the wost: you are done working now. Then see if they can work out some compromises for now (4-6 hour shifts, a place to nap or lie down during your shift, etc.)

THose tightenings low in your belly are braxton hicks contractions. With twins, they can feel th same as real contractions, so you need to pay attention to them. They are also very tiring!!

Make sure you are drinking a ton of water and eating lots of good protien and FATS, and get TONS OF SLEEP. But get ready to slow WAY down or even stop working very soon.

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#7 of 24 Old 08-11-2007, 05:29 PM

I'm a nurse who worked that much. Had a perfect pregnancy until chorioamnionitis struck and my baby girls were born at 29+5 weeks. I could have worked a lot longer though. Hope everything goes well!
#8 of 24 Old 08-11-2007, 05:36 PM

Well I think having DZ twins is probably good, as that pregnancy tends to be less high risk than MZ twins. However, it's really hard to know how YOU will feel in a few weeks, and I'd want to err on the side of caution. I'd probably cut it down by 20w, maybe 24w if you're really feeling well.

I do have a friend with DZ twins who worked til 39w, but only 1 or 2 shifts/week. She was a L/D nurse.

I have MZ boys and the day I found out I was having twins (18w) is also the day they were dx with TTTS so I stopped working immediately and went on bedrest til I gave birth, at 34w2.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#9 of 24 Old 08-11-2007, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My first three pregnancies were fantastic. I stopped work about 3-4 weeks before my due dates, but only b/c I wanted to: Some were near Xmas time and I had holidays to use up.

Twins, in contrast, knocked me flat. I felt really lousy by 8 weeks. Started having anxiety attacks (although I didn't know what they were, then). The super-fatigue that usually subsides for me at 8 weeks only amplified. I felt heavy, sore, varicose veins, etc. etc. I felt worse at 8 weeks than I had at 40-41 weeks with my other kids. I was really starting to thinking "WHAT the heck is wrong with me?" We knew I was pregnant, but we didn't know it was twins.

I left work on medical leave at 12 weeks. I was to be off work for a month and then re-evaluate. During that time, we found out it was twins. My difficult pregnancy didn't get worse (pain, etc) but it didn't diminish. I was off work for the remainder of the pregnancy.

In so many ways, 2006 seems to be the "missing year" of my life (well, the missing 1/2 year!). I felt really cut-off, weathering the pregnancy at home, as most of the time I felt too unwell to leave the house.

It seemed arduous at the time. But it really was only 6 months and the culmination was fantastic. Be prepared for a swift and early change to your routines. If it doesn't happen, great. If it does, the mental advantage is half the battle.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#10 of 24 Old 08-11-2007, 09:50 PM

My OB takes out her multiples patients at 28wks. I wasnt working but she advised me to start "taking it easy" around that time. At 28wks I was pooped. I was 29wks when my husband had his birthday. I had paid for him to swim with the sharks at the local aquarium and I ended up using a wheelchair to walk around the aquarium. I just couldnt stand and walk for long periods of time. I felt a whole lot different than I did with my son, I worked on my feet till he was born.
#11 of 24 Old 08-11-2007, 11:17 PM

I think everyone is so different! I was really feeling it at 20 weeks, but managed to keep going until 24 weeks. This is when I cried to my OB to please make it stop. I am also an RN and worked 3, 12 hour shifts on a very busy med/surg floor.

But I have heard of other nurses (or similiar demanding jobs) going longer, while less demanding jobs causing other women to quit sooner.

I am going back to work Monday. I surely wouldn't if I didn't need the money. I am still having some intense pelvic pain (6weeks PP). I am really worried about how much pain I will be in at the end of a shift. I never had this pain with my singleton pregnancies.
#12 of 24 Old 08-14-2007, 10:56 AM

I was on complete bedrest by 27 weeks and I wish now I had taken it easy before that. Mine were born at 34w3d and who knows if taking it easier sooner would have helped them to go longer but I always regret not resting more. Are you able to cut your shifts down - work more days but less hours a day?
I told my employer it was unlikely I'd be able to work up until my due date but they were still shocked when I called in three months before by due date and told them I couldn't come back!
If your already feeling BH I would do as the other ladies here have said and sit as much as possible, lay down as much as possible and drink as much water as you can.
Good Luck!
#13 of 24 Old 08-14-2007, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

thanks. My job is completely in the dark about twin pregnancies. They seriously think I can work up until JANUARY 28th (due date). And they are asking me to come in OVERTIME. I know I'm gonna be deemed not a "team player" or whatever but DAMN I just can't do it

#14 of 24 Old 08-14-2007, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurie View Post
I think everyone is so different! I was really feeling it at 20 weeks, but managed to keep going until 24 weeks. This is when I cried to my OB to please make it stop. I am also an RN and worked 3, 12 hour shifts on a very busy med/surg floor.
did your twins go to term? I am planning to stop tentatively at 24-ish weeks

#15 of 24 Old 08-14-2007, 09:26 PM

No, they were 5 weeks early due to pre-eclampsia. I don't know if stopping work sooner would have changed that outcome or not, probably not.

My views on quitting work early and/or possibly giving up a job. New jobs and making up that paycheck will happen. But you only have one chance to bake those babies. If work doesn't understand that, well heck, you are a nurse and can find another job anywhere, any time

Good luck and try not to stress it. It is a very short period of time and stress is never good
#16 of 24 Old 08-15-2007, 01:21 AM

I was working at a pretty stressful college teaching job with a course overload, and when I found out I was having twins I told my department chair that I couldn't (wouldn't) work past 28 weeks. I still did some grading at home, but others had to finish out the last few weeks of teaching for me. I ended up sitting around at home for ten weeks, and being induced at 38 weeks. I probably could have worked for a couple of more weeks in retrospect, but I was getting so huge and awkward, I was glad to be able to just lie down and rest whenever I needed. Perhaps that helped me to carry my twins for so long - its impossible to know . . . .

My advice would be to listen to your body and leave work as soon as you need to!! Nothing is more important than the health of you and your babies. Enjoy your pregnancy!
#17 of 24 Old 08-16-2007, 02:26 AM

I wasn't working but I was a full time student - I had a homebirth but hadn't found a widwife and was going to an OB and she put me on bedrest for two months from about six to eight months. After that I was so big and so tired I put myself on bed rest! My boys came at 41 + weeks (8lb and 6lb11oz) and we had to induce homeopathically because I too was preeclamptic. I credit my midwife and her advice for their size and gestational age. She told me to EAT get 100 grams of protien a day pack it in mama! When you wake up in the might to pee eat a handful of almondsby them by the pound and toss them in. You need more food now than you think and at the hospital they don't focus on nutrition as much as they should. I asked my OB and she said to me "Well you eat well, right?" Like I know about the nutrition needed to grow two people! Anyway don't worry about how much weight you gain because it is helping your little ones - I gained 100 and it was well worth it. Good luck!
#18 of 24 Old 08-17-2007, 04:50 PM

I worked until 32 weeks. I did go down to part-time around 28 weeks b/c I was too distracted/excited to concentrate on my job. LOL. My job was mostly sedentary but I did have to climb stairs and walk to work. I also had youth on my side, I turned 26 a month before they were born, and I have no other children to run after. I made it to 37W5D before being induced and having an awesome vaginal birth.

Your employers should have experience with someone needing "light duty" I would think??

Good luck, I was scared when I first found out but you just have to jump in with both feet and learn to be flexible.

SAHM to twin kindergarteners

#19 of 24 Old 08-17-2007, 07:57 PM

I think I stopped somewhere between 26 and 28 weeks. It was 3 months before my 40 week EDD & I picked it at random because it was the end of the year. I quit for good, closed my practice without plans of going back. It was my decision to stop working & my OB did not say anything about it since everything was going well. I am a child psychologist, though, so while I was up playing with kids, it was mostly on sitting on the floor playing and talking. Pretty sedentary compared to a nurse. Also, I had to have a set end-by date -- couldn't really tell patients, maybe I won't be here next week.

I agree with PPs, though, everyone is different and you may feel you need to stop at 20 weeks, or feel great and want to keep working til 32 weeks. Can you talk to your employer about having flexible plane, working only 6 hour shifts, or are there aspects of nursing you can do that are less on-your-feet?

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
#20 of 24 Old 08-18-2007, 02:14 PM

I'm a sahm to my 2 & (almost) 4 year old kiddos. I am very active and am on my feet alot. At my 21 week u/s and cervical check, my cervix was fine. 4 weeks later, my cervix had gone from 35mm to 21mm and modified/partial bedrest was ordered. My peri said that it was just the pressure of the babies on my cervix making it thin out/shorten, and staying off my feet would help. (And it has.) I didn't have any contractions, either.

I don't know if your doctor will check your cervix with a trans-vaginal ultrasound, but if they do and find a shortened cervix, you'll probably have to stop work or greatly reduce your hours.

I am amazed at how tired I am these days!

Good luck!

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#21 of 24 Old 08-19-2007, 12:10 AM

Congratulations on your pregnancy, PurpleMonkey! I stopped working at 25 weeks (I'm 29 weeks now). I don't know if you picked up this book during your Borders shopping spree, but I'd suggest prioritizing and first reading "When you're expecting twins, triplets, or quads" by Dr. Barbara Luke. It gives a bunch of information that other books don't touch on, including lots of good nutrition information, which is important so that you can build the babies' weight up earlier in case they're born early. You mentioned your work being in the dark about twin pregnancies- twin pregnancies are usually induced at 38 weeks to avoid complications from placenta(s) breaking down, etc., so it really is unrealistic for your work to expect you to go until your due date. Of course, there are plenty of other reasons why it probably wouldn't be in your best interest to go that long, as pp mentioned. Anyway- best wishes for a healthy pregnancy to you!
#22 of 24 Old 08-19-2007, 03:22 PM

i worked to 31 wks but had a desk job. it was still hard to have to get up and get from the car into the building and then back out at the end of the day. and getting around the building to stretch legs or get to the bathroom when i'd waited too long and the bh contx were in process was brutal!
i've had bh for the last 12 wks and they have done nothing to hasten labor or change my cervix.
i have a 4 yo at home and its been still hard at times at home with him but we manage and just take life slowly (37.5 wks now). i try to rest when i need to and have been blessed with a trauma free pregnancy - not that its been comfortable by any means, just no ptl or pre-e or bedrest etc.

you need to listen to your body everyday. even short breaks and putting your feet up, or better yet lying down for 20-30 minutes will help you make it successfully through the day. if you feel bad you need to stop right then and rest, don't keep going because it will be much harder to regroup.

the right protein (100-120+g, read the parts of the Luke book about nutrition asap) and fluid intake (drink water all day long) will do the most to keep you and babies healthy and close to full term. learn to anticipate your protein and fluid needs early and eat proactively. i've ended up eating about 7 small meals a day and have found that i'm now used to a schedule. when i eat the right stuff at the right times i never crash.

and specifically about work, talk with your managers or HR about working until you feel that you need to stop. flexibility is important if its possible. you may literally wake up one day and feel like you just can't do it anymore and they need to respect that because it is a health issue for your and babies. stopping early may be hard on the paycheck (i'm a contractor with no benefits so no work and i get nothing) but healthy babies are going to make life so much easier in the long run, you can make more money later.
#23 of 24 Old 08-21-2007, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMonkey View Post
I am 31, first pregnancy EVER, and husband and I just found out last week we are having fraternal twins!

I am now almost 16 weeks

I am an RN (nurse) who works at least 3 13-14-hour shifts per week. Basically I am on my feet from 6AM to 10PM at night if you include I walk home from work as well etc. I don't actually sit down until about 10:30PM at night! Now I'd planned to work all the way through to my due date January 28th, but since the news of twins I am terrified of an early preterm birth

the days I work NOW I already feel like a tightness in my belly some times during the day (especially later in the day). I don't know what Braxton Hicks are supposed to feel like but needless to say it scares me

what are your recommendations? I have YET to read all the twins books we picked up from Borders this week!

(I am sad also I can't be seen by my midwife because in my state if you are having twins you're considered "high risk" automatically. My OB appt. is this next Tues.)
Read Anne Frye's section on twins in Holistic Midwifery.

And if you can....my suggestion is to put in your notice asap.
#24 of 24 Old 08-22-2007, 09:16 PM

I'm very new here (first post!), but just wanted to give my quick story. I own and run a restaurant which has me working in really hot conditions and on my feet for long periods of time in stressful situations. I worked up until Sunday, August 12 and had my twins via scheduled c-section on Tuesday, August 14 at 38 weeks (we're closed Mondays or I would've probably worked then too). I did have one L&D visit right around 34 weeks but that was due to dehydration (it had been in the 100's all week and I just could not drink enough water).

I really made a point of listening to my body and knowing that pregnancy is not a disease state! I already have two boys (7 and 4) so this wasn't my first time at this whole thing.

Skye

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page