ISO moms who carried twins past 38 wks - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 08-30-2007, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good for you for sticking up for you kids! I get soooo tired of hearing of practitioners who will induce mommas for every reason under the sun! It drives me bananas!!

Babies come when they come. Maternal misery is not an indication for delivery. Niether is "My parents are visiting this week!" or "My mom had trouble with big babies and c-sections so my doctor doesn't want me to get to my due date" - both of which I've heard.
#32 of 59 Old 08-31-2007, 02:34 PM

39w2d. However, all was not well and my GBS infection has infected the placentas. Babies were healthy, though if they had stayed in any longer they would not have been. It was a hard infection to miss as I was in hard labor (so hard my experienced doula thought I was in transition) and vomiting but not progressing.

You have a history of carrrying late, which is in your favor. If I were in your shoes I would do all the NSTs knowing that they are just a non-invasive check up. I would not allow a doctor to bully me into an induction if all signs were that everything is OK.

Mostly sane mother to twins.
#33 of 59 Old 08-31-2007, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I went to 41 weeks. I was induced, but it failed (no progress after two days of serious drugs and moderate contractions) and then my water broke on its own. Well, at home, but in response to all the drugs from the induction, imo.

It sounds like you are having a similar experience to mine. I skipped some of the recommended u/s but then when I did go the doc for that practice scared me with his talk. They wanted me to do 3 x week nst and 2 x week us at the end. UGH!!! plus a visit to the midwife and it would have taken as much time as a full time job!! Not to mention the fact that I was extremely pg and uncomfortable.

What I did was schedule all the appointments my mw recommended (I think it was 2 nst a week and 1 us at 39 weeks, but can't really remember) and then I would cancel as we went along. I figured if I had a reason to be concerned I could keep the appointment and be reassured. I canceled most.

Perhaps you could figure out a schedule that seems reasonable to you and cancel as you see fit. Congratulations!

Heather (nak)

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#34 of 59 Old 08-31-2007, 07:22 PM

I had my twins on June 15th...and 16th, at probably 41 weeks and a few days. I'm working on getting the whole story written down so I can post it up here, because I was in your position with all the pressure and negativity, and reading other moms' posts on MDC really helped me. I did a ton of research about birthing twins and breeches naturally, and I could email you all/some of the studies that I found. It seemed to me like there were a lot of studies that showed a better outcome for birthing between 35 and 38 weeks as opposed to later, and a lot of studies that didn't show a statistically significant difference. The thing about those studies, at least the ones I could access on PubMed (and you can go to the specific journals website and get the whole article usually) is that they are often done in other countries whose standard of prenatal care is different than ours. Also, they usually have small sample sizes, and generally don't include homebirths or birthing center births. Basically, you should trust yourself. Your body knows what it's doing a lot better than the doctors do. After all, it wasn't long ago that they were saying breastmilk was NOT best, and laying on your back was the easiest way to give birth!

As for my pregnancy, after I found out I was carrying twins (at 35 weeks) I was under tremendous pressure from my whole family, including my sister who is a medical doctor, my husband and his family, and our original midwife to transfer my care to a hospital where the only option was a c-section. I had a lot of things stacked against me - it being my first pregnancy, having twins, both were breech and one was footling (although they came out frank breech and headfirst), and then going overdue was another huge worry. We tried every natural induction we could think of, except for castor oil, because the midwives thought it would be too traumatic for breech babies. Eventually it started on its own and everything was fine. I gave birth to my little boy after 9 hours of labor and about 15 seconds of pushing (he was 5 pounds, 11 ounces), and 17 HOURS later I gave birth to my little girl (7 pounds, 8 ounces).

Ultimately, it's your body and you should do what you believe is best for your babies. Congratulations and good luck!
#35 of 59 Old 08-31-2007, 10:45 PM

Hi there!

I haven't had time to read all the responses. But I want to give you a brief excerrt of my experience.

My twins were born at 39 weeks at home. I had a traveling MW and two local MW's to attend the birth. My girls were perfect and weighed 7lbs 4 oz and 7lbs 6oz. We had some positional issues with the babies pinning each other in. My placenta was huge and very very healthy. It showed no signs of calcification. I was followed by a perinatologist. They "expected me to be induced at 38 week and was shocked when I said no. They wanted NST twice a week. I refused. We took a blood pressure twice a day and I had a fetoscope that I enjoyed following the babies with. Going for all the testing would have sent me through the roof! Have a good talk with your MW and follow your momma gut.

Hugs,

Erika
#36 of 59 Old 09-02-2007, 11:23 AM

They were born at 40w2d they weighed 8lbs 15.2 oz each. They and the placentas were completely healthy and gorgeous!
#37 of 59 Old 09-02-2007, 02:23 PM

i carried my twins to 40 weeks. i ended up being induced (with the gel. twice, as the first time didn't take). one of my waters had broken almost 2 days before and i was tired (and uninformed and not confident enough) of going to the hospital every 8 hrs to get another does of thrush inducing antibiotics, so we went for the induction. i had a midwife and shadow care with a (horrid) OB.

trust your body. do your research. and above all believe in your self and your babies. if prenatals and nst stress you out- stay home and read. i was going in twice a week toward the end and it was such a waste of time!!!

easy labor vibes mama! good luck and congrats on a healthy pg.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#38 of 59 Old 09-03-2007, 10:38 PM

Mine came on their own at 38.5 weeks (at least--my dates were unsure, and based on my original guess, they were at least 39.5 weeks). I used a midwife and did not have any NSTs. Everything went beautifully. My two older boys were both "overdue" as well (40.5 weeks, 41.5 weeks). I hope they arrive on their own soon, so you won't have to deal with this kind of stress again!

Michelle G.
#39 of 59 Old 09-04-2007, 11:44 AM

Mine came at 39w4d. I had a c-section due to breech/vertex presentation (baby a was breech) and pre-e. I was all set for an unassisted homebirth but with my blood pressure skyrocketing and my labs deteriorating I consented to the section. I also had gone into labor a couple of times but since baby A was breech and descending diagonally she wouldn't present and I never dilated . There is no reason to have them any earlier then 40 weeks. Every baby is full term at 40 weeks, there is nothing special about 38 weeks for twins.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#40 of 59 Old 09-04-2007, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Fyre and everyone else for continuing to share with me. It has been so helpful to go back to this thread and read all of the mamas adding their bits about going past 38 or past 40 or more. I'm still here and planning to continue with the waiting game.

Grateful to all of you...
#41 of 59 Old 09-04-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie'sMom View Post
I would also like links Seabird, but I just did a quick search of pubmed, and found this interesting and recent study
No advantage to delivering twins before 40 weeks
Give that abstract to your doc, and tell her to look it up in the "gray journal" Then she will think you are in the know .

Seriously, it depends on your prentatal nutrition. If you have very well, especially in the first & second trimester when the placentas are formed, you will do fine going to 40 or more weeks. If you didn't then you might have trouble .

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#42 of 59 Old 09-05-2007, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Hi MaryJaneLouise, that's a great POV. My nutrition has been pretty tops I think so it feels logical.

And that's a great bf article in your sig! (I'm a language person and an editor so stuff like that really appeals to me).
#43 of 59 Old 09-05-2007, 11:36 PM

How's it going?

#44 of 59 Old 09-06-2007, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

still here. halfway dilated. waiting. considering castor oil but not ready for that step yet. definitely ready for them to be here, don't have any interest in going back to ob or peri.
#45 of 59 Old 09-06-2007, 02:04 AM

I'll be thinking of you, mama.

#46 of 59 Old 09-06-2007, 11:55 PM

I don't think castor oil works unless you are going to go into labor then anyway. I know spicy food doesn't. The hot food I ate would set off false labor, but didn't do diddly for getting anything going, and I ate REALLY hot food. I think all of those tricks are really just timing. Your body is gonna do what it is gonna do when it is gonna do it.

What's the midwife say at this point?

#47 of 59 Old 09-07-2007, 12:56 AM

I agree with Zadee, but castor oil did work for me with both my labors. I think if you are dilated and effaced already you have a pretty good shot at it working.

If you do decide to do it, mix it into a milkshake and drink it fast. It is really tolerable than way. OJ is truly disgusting.

Whatever you decide, sending you ELVs!!! I remember how hard those last days were. You're almost there mama!!!

Trying to get my bearings...
#48 of 59 Old 09-07-2007, 01:12 AM

Just as another data point, my aunt delivered her twins at 40w1d, vaginally, 6#4oz and 5#14oz. Healthy, happy, no problems (after twin A's asynclitic presentation was resolved.)

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
#49 of 59 Old 09-09-2007, 01:58 PM

How are you mama?

#50 of 59 Old 09-09-2007, 10:14 PM

I'm nosy and checked on clancybaby's recent posts. She hasn't posted since 9/6...

Hoping that means you are snuggling your babes!!

#51 of 59 Old 09-10-2007, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

thank you for checking on me...here's what happened.
water broke spontaneously on saturday 9/8 at 3 am, labor began at 3:30 am.
*** was born vaginally at home at about 7:15 am but immediately after i hemorrhaged badly and **** did not descend quickly enough to stay home.
it took a rotten trip in an ambulance (leaving my house at a time when everyone in the neighborhood was up and walking to their cars, so much for anything approximating privacy) and a c-section with general anesthesia and all of the hysteria of mainstream tv for **** to be born about 40 min later (i think).

Thank you for caring about me and my babies.
#52 of 59 Old 09-10-2007, 03:32 PM

Big giant hugs to you clancybaby!!!!

Welcome to xxxx and xxxx. What great sizes and beautiful names. I hope xxxx will be home soon.

Do you have irl family or friends to help you guys out? If not we might be able to get some folks from your tribal area together to bring some meals and such. Please let us know.

#53 of 59 Old 09-10-2007, 04:55 PM

congrats mama. you have big beautiful babies.

how are YOU doing?
#54 of 59 Old 09-10-2007, 05:10 PM

Congratulations to you and your sweet little girls! to stay strong and get everyone back where they belong with you!

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#55 of 59 Old 09-10-2007, 05:14 PM

Congrats and welcome to your girls! I love their names (both the real ones and the nicknames ). Wishing you a speedy recovery and a quick trip home for your one babe, and lots of wonderful snuggling with your twins.
#56 of 59 Old 09-10-2007, 06:10 PM

Congrats on the births of your twins! They have such beautiful names.

I am so sorry that XXXX is separated from you. I was apart from Fiona for several hours after she was born & it was excruciating. I hope she is in your arms, happily nursing away soon.

Best wishes for a quick recovery!

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
#57 of 59 Old 03-07-2008, 11:42 PM

bump, because it's an incredible thread of hope and possibility
#58 of 59 Old 03-08-2008, 12:12 PM

Congratuations, clancybaby! I had never read your birth story so I didn't realize one was born at home and one by emergency c-section. What an ordeal! You are a strong woman. And those weights were excellent!

Blessed mama of four
::
#59 of 59 Old 08-03-2008, 08:57 PM

Bump! Good info on "term."

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page