My first pregnancy was a twin pregnancy, and I carried my boys to 40 or 41 weeks (not sure of dates). 7.0 and 8.0 pounds of pure healthiness!
We were also given some scare tactics, though my OB was a little less hardcore. To get them off my back, I had the stress tests done twice a week. My boys also had very large heads (probably related to their genetic condition), so I gave in and had a CT of my hips (to make sure their heads would pass).
I told them I would be induced (after tons of pressure) when I was a few days over 40 weeks (I estimated that that would mean I was a few days past 41 weeks). Two days before the induction date, after weeks of stress tests showing everything was fine, I went into labor. I'm not sure if I ever would have gone in for the induction...perhaps...but it turns out I went into labor so we'll never know!
Labor was odd.... my uterus was SO stretched out, it had a hard time creating effective contractions. My water broke at 10am, but I didn't have a strong (tight/uncomfortable) contraction until around 11pm. I had no contractions AT ALL until 5pm or so. We stayed at home until around 11pm...I didn't want to have a ticking clock over my head. We went to the hospital when contractions started getting sorta uncomfortable (using info from "The Birth Partner" book to make sure that everything was okay in terms of movement, mecomium (none) and good fluid levels). We lied and told the doctors that my water had just
Labor continued to be a little "different" because my uterus was so large. The muscle groups seemed to take forever to coordinate an effective contraction. I gave birth around 10 the next morning (24 hours since my water broke). Pushing ds1 took three hours. Ds2 was a breech extraction (OB reached up, grabbed ds2 by the feet, and pulled him out). Given the size of ds2's head, and truly it was HUGE, I'm not sure how pushing him out would have gone. Ds1 was fine, because he came out head first and had time to reshape his head during labor, but I would have worried about taking the time to push ds2 out.
It was a drug free delivery, except for right before ds2 was born. To keep me relaxed the OB gave me a local aenesthetic shot in my vaginal wall.
I would go for the stress tests. I know it's a total headache (
), but it's a compromise that's worth making. They'll know your babies are healthy and hopefully not put as much pressure on you, and you'll have a little extra information to comfort your decision as you continue to go against the grain. Stay strong, and do what you feel is right. And if, heaven forbid, you feel something *isn't* right, trust your gut and get where you need to be.
PM me if I can be of any help. You can do this!