At my wit's end... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 13 Old 08-29-2007, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My identical twin boys are 1 month old, born at 39wks on 7/27/07 via c-section weighing 7lbs3oz & 7lbs even. I'm nursing them what seems like around the clock. It's taken a lot out of me. I know I should trust my supply, but the boys just aren't satisfied. My milk never came in like I had hoped... even with constant nursing. By the 4th day after they were born, I could tell the transition from colostrum to breastmilk had started, but it didn't come in strong. I thought for sure I'd be engorged... but not at all. I kept waiting and waiting for this rush of milk to come... but here it is a month later... and still no big rush of milk. It's seriously depressing me.. I don't know what to do. If each of them could get both breasts at a feeding I know they'd be satified... but they're only getting one breast each.. and there's barely anything there. I've counseled other moms on breastfeeding, but this is a whole new world for me. I just don't know what to do... there's just no milk there.

I've started supplementing... I don't know what else to do. I thought I could exclusively breastfeed them.. I wanted too... but as hard as I try I just can't. They are on the breast constantly if I don't. They literally cry in hunger at the breast.

Right now I give them each a 5oz bottle around 1pm, then again around 7pm, then about midnight. I'd love to get rid of the bottle. I've been able to pump a couple times and get about 4oz total (2oz each breast).

Anyone else in the group who felt they HAD to supplement??

And another question to those who've done it... does it get any easier??? My mother is here with me, she's staying with us. I've told her I'll probably need her here another month at least... but when will I be able to be self efficient in my household?? When will I be able to get off the couch? Them being so much work this first month, I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever be able to make it on my own. I feel so helpless. When will I ever be able to get back to taking care of my WHOLE family??

Sorry so long... I find myself in tears every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 08-29-2007, 01:22 AM

Big hugs. Get yourself some Domperidone. You can get it online or from a compounding pharmacy -- online is cheaper. It's what a lot of moms with low-supply issues take (including me, I breast-feed after a breast reduction). Hop over to the Breastfeeding Challenges board, there's info about Domperidone on there, usually on the first or second page.

That is if you want to build up your supply.

And it gets easier every week. 2 months was a big milestone for me, then 3 months. Now my boys are 4.5yo. I barely remember the first year.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#3 of 13 Old 08-29-2007, 01:32 AM

I don't have twins. I do tandem nurse and my 3 yo nurses more than the newborn. It does get better over time. It's just so hard nursing two to begin with, but once your supply gets established you'll be just fine. Have you tried fenugreek and eating oatmeal? A mom at one of our LLL meetings had the same issue and the leader told her to cut out the pumping (if you can) and strictly rely on babies nursing, at least just until supply is established. She said this because the babies suckle is more efficient at removing milk from the breast than the pump, stimulating an increase in supply by increasing demand.

It sounds like you're stressed, too. I know that can affect supply. Are you able to do something to help relax you (read, knit, go for walks, get massage, etc.?). Try taking some magnesium powder (natural calm) at night and a good b complex in the morning.

I hope this all works out for you soon.

#4 of 13 Old 08-29-2007, 01:55 AM

I have almost 4 month old twins and I have to supplement. I thought that I was going to be able to breastfeed exclusively but it hasn't happened yet. My supply is really low. I feel really bad about it. I got a prescription filled for reglan but I'm afraid to take it due to the depression warnings. I am still trying to get them on my breast whenever I can. I just try to think that some breastmilk is better than none. Keep hanging in there. Have you tried pumping in between feedings? I heard that can help. Also, try contacting a Le Leche group consultant. You can go to their website and find people to talk to. Karen Gromada is a great resource. She wrote a book called "Mothering Multiples," I believe. She holds support groups for MOM here in Cincinnati. She was fantastic! I know she answers question on the Le Leche Group multiples message board. Check it out.

Hang in there. The beginning is really rough but it does start to get easier slowly. Right now, I am still struggling with my twins. My husband has been home with me for the last four months, but he will be leaving to go on a job assignment soon. I will be all me for 6 weeks (he'll come home on occasion on the weekends). We will see how I do. Anyway, don't be too hard on yourself. You are doing a great job for those babies.

SAHM to a set of beautiful twins :, one beautiful angel baby (baby c), and one crazy furbaby :
#5 of 13 Old 08-29-2007, 02:42 AM

Jennifer --

I didn't supplement, but I am convinced that it is only because I had in-home support from a LC for the first 3 weeks. Can you find an LC in your area who is knowledgable about nursing twins? Also, are you sure their latch is good? I assume you nursed your 2-1/2 year old & would know, but it may be worth a check. Mine were my first & they were latched fine, but weren't actually nursing when they nursed; they just comfort sucked so I had to do a lot to establish supply.

I'd also check into Reglan. If you're not comfortable with that, I have found Fenugreek to be helpful. I took it for a bit when the girls were about 6 months and I was worried about supply & after a stomach bug affected my supply.

I also wanted to echo what a PP said -- any human milk you're giving your twins is great. Do what you can to get them exclusively nursing, but if you can't do it -- don't feel guilty. You're doing the very best you can. Having twins is HARD! You have a 2-1/2 year old on top of that.

If your Mom can stay around another month, that's great! Nursing wise, things got easier for me at about 4 weeks, then again at about 6 weeks, and better yet at 2 months, etc. I know there are times when you feel like you can't take another minute of life with tiny twins, but you just go hour to hour and know that next week's issues will be different than this weeks.

Hugs to you! You're doing a great job!

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
#6 of 13 Old 08-29-2007, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hugs, Jennifer!

I didn't supplement every day, but I did when I was stressed (baptism weekend, when my FIL died, when I got even less sleep than usual). It sounds as though you are feeling pretty stressed out, which can definitely affect your supply.

Do you nurse them at the same time? Are you getting plenty of water to drink?

I think your expectations for yourself are too high. My Mom and my DH did everything around the house for months - my one and only job was to take care of the babies (and myself). A friend put a sign on the front door - "No visitors allowed! But Helpers are welcome any time!" I was not shy about asking visitors to make me a sandwich, throw in a load of clothes, run the vacuum, hold a baby so I could take a shower. People were always more than happy to help out. I literally lived on the couch for 3 months!

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#7 of 13 Old 08-29-2007, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My mom was here for 6 weeks, leaving when teh babies were 4 wk old... and my DH went back to work the same day :

Babies are 6wk old today. The past couple days I've done nothing but feed. Other days, I get 20min. Babies first, house last.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#8 of 13 Old 08-31-2007, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1. How do you know they aren't getting enough to eat? I know lots of mammas who never really felt engorged, but had plenty of milk.

How many wet and dirty diapers are you changing a day? That will tell you if they are getting enough to eat. Newborns want to eat around the clock because they are establishing your supply.

2. Are you eating regularly an drinking LOTS of water? I noticed a HUGE drop in my milk when I didn't drink enough water. With twins, you are makng almost 1/2 gallon of milk a day! If you aren't drinking at least that, then you aren't able to make the milk your kids need.

3. It sounds like you could use some outside support/friendship. Can you find a lll meeting or a multiples club group? It makes a huge difference for some people, to be able to get out and visit with other moms.

4. Try to relax and enjoy yourself and your babies once in a while (sometimes we get so busy, we forget!!). You are doing a good job and will continue to respond to your babies needs. It will get easier as you get to know your precious bundles better.

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#9 of 13 Old 08-31-2007, 04:03 PM

My ped told me that I had to drink five times the amount of water in relation to the milk I had to produce, which , with newborn twins, means you have to be drinking non-stop, especially in the summer.
And I had plenty of milk but my babies ate non-stop and for hours at a time.
How are their weights? Are they gaining well?

It is soooooo hard in the begining. And you shouldn't feel bad about an occassional bottle.
I know some people here feel very strongly on the issue, but I feel like with twins it can get so overwhelming sometimes that the stress of HAVING to BF all day long can just be too much, so that knowing that you can give them a bottle of formula can actually help you be brave enough to breasfeed them. If that makes sense. But that's not what you were asking.

I second the idea of a LC, eating well and drinking.
#10 of 13 Old 08-31-2007, 05:32 PM

The PP's advice is really good. I'd like to add, never ever take that little bit of breastmilk for granted. It's hard to keep it up, having to do say, both a nursing and a bottle feeding in the same feeding. I did that actually from 8 weeks to 6 1/2 mo. Now I EP. But wow, what a difference that BM makes. The boys have yet to be sick (knock on wood) and even though it didn't seem like they were getting enough in relation to formula as the months went by, I knew it made an impact. I knew because they have some intense food allergies throgh my BM. I had to go on a wheat, soy, corn, and chocloate free diet!

Instead of that being bad news and me quitting, I realized, wow. If that amount is able to do that much harm to them, it also is doing even more good. So no matter what ends up being your situation, just know it's customed tailored for you and your babies. Twin moms give up a lot of their dreams and ideas when they land two, but we always end up being strong enough women to handle it and shine through.
#11 of 13 Old 08-31-2007, 07:28 PM

I nursed my twins after nursing my son and the feelings of "fullness" in my breasts were COMPLETELY different - I never had a feeling of letdown, or any of that stuff that I had ALL THE TIME with my son for almost the first year. I can only assume that all my tissues had stretched out?

It took us a good 6 weeks to get fully established, though my girls were much smaller than your babies are. Until that point, I was supplementing with a tiny bit of breastmilk and also a high-cal formula. It took us a lot - a LOT - of practice to get it all down, and I remember a lot of late-night crying (on all our parts) trying to figure it all out.

If you feel your supply is low, remember the basics - are you filled to the gills with water yourself? Fenugreek worked WONDERS for me (I got it in pill form from a local health food store, though I recently have seen tea and I did have it in a dropper, too) and so did drinking a double-dose strength of Mother's Milk tea before bedtime.

My son was a little younger than your older one is; I think he had JUST turned 2 when the girls were born. Like everyone else, I don't remember a WHOLE lot, but I know it was REALLY HARD - more so than I admitted at the time - and it just took plugging away and plugging away and plugging away at it.

You're not failing if they're not exclusively breastfed - you're just a mom of twins!!!
#12 of 13 Old 08-31-2007, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Remember you dont have to be engorged to be producing enough. What counts is how much they are gaining. It is totally normal for babies in the first months to nurse none stop.

SAHM
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lovin'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to
DD 10/00 &

DS 10/04
If your son is intact, keep him safe, visit the Intact Care forum
Circ, a personal choice, Your SONS

11/98
6/99
Thyroid cancer survivor. With 5
& 2 Boxers
wishing for

#13 of 13 Old 08-31-2007, 08:06 PM

ditto to the mother's milk herbal tea...and individually or combined fennel, fenugreek, nettle and sesame seeds all increase lactation...also (just got the herb book out)basil, borage, caraway, dill, lavender, parsley, alfalfa, red clover and dandelion.

Zoe mummy to Thomas '06

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page