High Chairs for Twins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 09-01-2007, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our twins are 9 mos old; one is beginning solids. Travelling last week we put them in those standard wooden chairs in a couple of restaurants and these worked really well. The babies seemed to enjoy being pulled up to the table. We can buy on line this type of chair for $30 and would get two. (We don't like the big plastic chair we had for our first child and don't reallly have room for two such big chairs in our kitchen.) We've also looked at the Keekeroo wooden chair (it's adjustable and can fit toodlers and older children). We would get two of these and use the trays at first and then later use them to pull the twins up to the table.

Any one with experience with the restaurant style or the Keekeroo?

Thanks for your help.
AP Dad
#2 of 17 Old 09-01-2007, 05:56 PM

no experience with those, sorry. but i thought i'd add that our 10month twins are each starting to eat and we're using those chairs that clip onto your table. we attatched ours to our kitchen island/bar, works great, takes up very little space. one is a borrowed chicco, one is an inglesina...
#3 of 17 Old 09-01-2007, 05:58 PM

We have 4 year old twins, and they still use their booster seats. We never got standard high chairs for them, because the just wasn't enough space. I love the strap on booster chairs, because they have trays or they can be pulled up to the table. They are also easy to take while traveling. DS#3, who is almost one, has his own booster chair too.
#4 of 17 Old 09-01-2007, 08:01 PM

I have Stokke Tripp Trapp seats for my girls. They come right up to the table like restaurant high chairs and they can use them for a long time -- until adulthood actually if they choose to. So I have them as chairs at the kitchen table and just have two chairs otherwise for me and DH. They're expesnsive, but they're attractive and last a long time and are easy to keep clean. No nooks or crevices on them. I used to have Peg Perego high chairs and those were the bane of my existance -- they were always disgustingly filthy.

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
#5 of 17 Old 09-01-2007, 08:23 PM

hey APDad!! I have no experience with those highchair except ive used them a few times at restaurants But I had to tell ya, my twins are 9 months old too born 11/22/06 - 10 weeks early.

We have 1 highcair at the moment that we got from a freecycle mama - its an evenflo and ohhhh my babies LOVE it!! I dont like the bulk, but i like how much easier it is to feed the babies And now i can offer them little somethings of cereal, etc Id like another high chair, but dont know if i have the space!
#6 of 17 Old 09-01-2007, 09:45 PM

ikea has some that work as booster chairs when they are older

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#7 of 17 Old 09-01-2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie View Post
We have 4 year old twins, and they still use their booster seats. We never got standard high chairs for them, because the just wasn't enough space. I love the strap on booster chairs, because they have trays or they can be pulled up to the table. They are also easy to take while traveling. DS#3, who is almost one, has his own booster chair too.
Yep, this is what we did too.

Cheaper, less space, easier to clean, portable, you can use it for longer than a highchair. All good in my book.
#8 of 17 Old 09-01-2007, 11:07 PM

We also have the Stokke Tripp Trapp chairs (we actually have four - 2 for our older children as well). They're great!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#9 of 17 Old 09-02-2007, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by f&p'smama View Post
I have Stokke Tripp Trapp seats for my girls. They come right up to the table like restaurant high chairs and they can use them for a long time -- until adulthood actually if they choose to. So I have them as chairs at the kitchen table and just have two chairs otherwise for me and DH. They're expesnsive, but they're attractive and last a long time and are easy to keep clean. No nooks or crevices on them. I used to have Peg Perego high chairs and those were the bane of my existance -- they were always disgustingly filthy.
:

I also like those little wooden restaurant high chairs for all the reasons the OP mentioned.

But we got a Stokke Tripp Trapp for the longer use. Our now-2.5-year-old still prefers the restaurant high chairs to a regular seat, but it is quite difficult to get him in and out (at his size now). Obviously, there is no way he could get in and out of the seat easily at home by himself, so that alone is a huge advantage of the Tripp Trapp.

We are just now in the process of getting two more Tripp Trapps for our almost-9-month-old twin boys. Like OP, we don't have room for a big plastic high chair (sold the one we got as a gift for DD, actually). And I don't like booster seats or clamp-on chairs b/c there's just so many crevices to clean around.

One suggestion. . . b/c the Tripp Trapps are overwhelmingly popular in Germany, you can sometimes get such a good price on a used one on www.ebay.de that it is worth the shipping and such. They pack very compactly. Almost all the used ones on eBay Germany are the natural birch finish.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#10 of 17 Old 09-02-2007, 12:04 PM

We also have Stokke chairs and love them. The Keekeroo looks very similar. I would go that route because the restaurant chairs will become difficult as the children get older and are easily tipped as they figure out how to climb in and out of them.

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#11 of 17 Old 09-02-2007, 12:31 PM

We also have the Stokke chairs.

Blessed mama of four
::
#12 of 17 Old 09-02-2007, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the comments; they are really helpful and I appreciate the time everyone has taken. Comments have us leaning to the Keekeroo or more like the Stokke, for the choice of colors (if we're going to have them for a while, why not have fun with those wonderful lime and turquoise colors). More questions re the Stokke: do we really need the baby rail? are the pads worth having?

Thanks,
AP Dad (in Kansas)
#13 of 17 Old 09-02-2007, 01:22 PM

Absolutely get the baby rail. The straps really don't work that well in my opinion. I like the chair but the straps are poorly designed and they always slide off the shoulders. We just buckle them around the waist. But the plastic baby rail just keeps things more secure.

Blessed mama of four
::
#14 of 17 Old 09-02-2007, 01:22 PM

Yes on the rail (mine are 17 months and I wouldn't go w/o the rail just yet). No on the pad. We have the pad for my older one and I took it off. She prefered it (she's 6) but it just get so messy. The other 3 kids have never had it and don't seem to mind.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#15 of 17 Old 09-04-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie View Post
We have 4 year old twins, and they still use their booster seats. We never got standard high chairs for them, because the just wasn't enough space. I love the strap on booster chairs, because they have trays or they can be pulled up to the table. They are also easy to take while traveling.
We use those too.
#16 of 17 Old 09-04-2007, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Dad View Post
More questions re the Stokke: do we really need the baby rail? are the pads worth having?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemelos View Post
Absolutely get the baby rail. The straps really don't work that well in my opinion. I like the chair but the straps are poorly designed and they always slide off the shoulders. We just buckle them around the waist.
gemelos is right. That 5-point harness is the dumbest design ever and it doesn't stay on their shoulders at all. We just got one of the new Stokke Tripp Trapps for our twins this week (and another is on order). That was my first experience with the 5-point harness as the old ones didn't have it.

I'm not sure I'd recommend the baby rail. The chairs are already atrociously expensive and the plastic baby rail was another $40-$45 per chair at the store I purchased from (chairs were $289 with a 10% multiples discount off of that, but add 11% tax). The baby rail also means you can't pull baby completely up to the table.

If you (or a relative sews) I LOVE the harness I made for my first chair. I sewed a rectangular band that closes around the two bars of the backrest and fastens with a zipper. Easy to take off to wash. To this padded back, I sewed straps onto which I threaded those plastic pinch clips. Then I made a Y-shaped fabric crotch piece that had the other have of the pinch clips on each side of the "Y". You know, like a typical 3-point harness in a lot of the Graco products. The bottom leg of the "Y" secures through the slot in the seat simply with a button that slips through, then pulls back against the seat at a 90-degree angle. 2 seconds to take it off to wash. This was a quick sewing project. It's very secure. It's super fast and easy to remove for washing. It's cheaper and works better than the baby rail.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#17 of 17 Old 09-06-2007, 11:53 PM

We have 2 of the Me Too! clip on chairs and love them. They take up no space, clean easily, travel easily, hold up to like 40 lbs, and have 5 point harnesses. Also less $$ than stokke. We use the harness with one twin & not the other because only one of them climbs out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page