How to increase chances of twins? - Mothering Forums

How to increase chances of twins?

Shirada's Avatar Shirada (TS)
04:12 AM Liked: 10
#1 of 66
09-08-2007 | Posts: 484
How does one increase the chances of getting pregnant with twins? My maternal grandmother was a fraternal twin. I hae 3 children and I'm aged 36. I've heard the chances are increased with age. Since a child I have always felt that I would someday have a set of twins. I don't think I am romantiszing the idea of twins, (I have my hands full right now with my 3 darlings), I just think I would really enjoy it.
newmoon2000's Avatar newmoon2000
04:36 AM Liked: 0
#2 of 66
09-08-2007 | Posts: 156
I'm no expert, but I believe the reason the chances of twins are higher as you get older is because ovulation becomes irregular with age. So, some months you pop out no eggs, and the next month you pop out two!

As for increasing your chances, I'm don't think there is a natural way to do that. There are fertility drugs you can take to increase ovulation, but I wouldn't recommend that and I doubt your doctor would either!

But, good luck! YES, it's very challenging to be pregnant with and raise twins and, YES, it's an amazing blessing!
04:45 AM Liked: 10
#3 of 66
I forgot to mention that I meant a natural way. I wouldn't use drugs.
AmyY's Avatar AmyY
08:15 AM Liked: 171
#4 of 66
09-08-2007 | Posts: 1,178
Huh - wow - that's cool that you want to have twins!

I got nuthin for ya on how to make it happen naturally but I'll send some twin vibes your way, 'kay?

I love it when people are into twins - cool! All the best to ya!
DoomaYula's Avatar DoomaYula
10:35 AM Liked: 11
#5 of 66
09-08-2007 | Posts: 4,907
Try sex. It worked for me.
mama_at_home's Avatar mama_at_home
01:33 PM Liked: 0
#6 of 66
09-08-2007 | Posts: 2,629
I think your chances sound pretty good already since they run in your family and you are 36. The only twins in my family were my grandmother's siblings and nothing until me. You might want to get the book Having Twins. I think it is a wonderful book and she believes that some women can will themselves to release 2 eggs. I didn't read much about it since I was already pregnant at the time, but I would look into. What do you have to lose, really? I think there can be power in that stuff. I spoke to my body everyday during my pregnancy, saying positive things like we were going to make it to 40 weeks, have no complications, etc. It might sound goofy, but it surely isn't going to hurt anything.

I hope you get your twins!! I desperately wanted twins, too, and I got them. Even before I was pregnant, I would read about breastfeeding and co-sleeping with twins and I would think to myself that I would be a good twin mom. That said, twins are more work than I could ever imagine. They are certainly not twice the work, it is more like 4 times the work. I had severe PPD and barely survived that first year but I would do it all over in a heartbeat.
01:45 PM Liked: 10
#7 of 66
I just found this:

Quote:
No one is quite sure why, but the Yoruba tribe in West Africa has the highest rate of twinning in the world. A study concluded that the mother's diet was the cause, being high in cassava, a type of yam or sweet potato. The peelings of this vegetable are thought to contain a chemical that causes hyperovulation.
I guess I will start eating cassava and yams. This article also said that my chances are increased only if my mother or great grandmother were twins In my case, my grandmother was a fraternal twin.

Note: My dh is not sure about having any more children, but here's me hoping for twins next time. I guess we need to talk

Gemolos - I too have alwyas been obsessed and read about nursing and life with twins. I remember as a child drawing pairs and pairs of twins and triplets and giving them all names
Ellie'sMom's Avatar Ellie'sMom
04:33 PM Liked: 741
#8 of 66
09-08-2007 | Posts: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaDoula View Post

"This article also said that my chances are increased only if my mother or great grandmother were twins"

That doesn't make any sense. I'm pretty sure the whole skips a generation thing is hogwash.

Good luck! I love my twins to death, but honestly would have much preferred them one at a time, so I can't really identify.
cpop's Avatar cpop
05:13 PM Liked: 0
#9 of 66
09-08-2007 | Posts: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie'sMom View Post
:

I love my twins to death, but honestly would have much preferred them one at a time, so I can't really identify.
:
read my thread before you act!
Zadee's Avatar Zadee
10:49 PM Liked: 0
#10 of 66
09-08-2007 | Posts: 711
IVF.

Oh, wait. That would involve drugs.

There are no reliable ways to increase your chance of having twins without being "unnatural" (and, for the record, I really really hate the implication that those of us who ended up with twins thanks to medical intervention are somehow "unnatural") . Fraternal twins occur because multiple eggs are released during one ovulation cycle. In order to increase your odds of having twins you have to increase the odds of releasing multiple egg and only medication can do that with any reasonable chance of success.
10:53 PM Liked: 10
#11 of 66
Zadee, I really think that you are overly sensitive to the drug issue. I in no way was insinuating that anyone that had IVF treatment or otherwise was 'unnatural'. I think it is wonderful that there are such treatments for women who have fertility issues. What I meant was that since I can/have conceived without fertility treatment, then I would not go that route.
Ellie'sMom's Avatar Ellie'sMom
12:37 AM Liked: 741
#12 of 66
09-09-2007 | Posts: 1,675
FTR, I took clomid to conceive, and I was in no way offended at Shirada's use of the term. "natural." When strangers in the grocery store ask if my twins are natural I am offended, but in this context I think it was appropriate short-hand for saying the OP has no intention of taking fertility meds she does not need in order to increase her chances of conceiving twins.
kirk_heidi's Avatar kirk_heidi
02:08 PM Liked: 0
#13 of 66
09-09-2007 | Posts: 1,133
Shirada, your chances are pretty high. Twins run in my family and I was on #4 when I found out it was 4 and 5. Your age is already helping you out too. In all honesty, because they run in your family already, the best way is to just keep having kids!! : It is up to you!
hotmamacita's Avatar hotmamacita
02:57 PM Liked: 12
#14 of 66
09-09-2007 | Posts: 6,977
Pray.

Zadee's Avatar Zadee
03:38 PM Liked: 0
#15 of 66
09-09-2007 | Posts: 711
Sorry if I am being over-sensitive - I've been getting some weird "natural/unnatural" stuff in-real-life lately. I try not to mix "real life" and "online conversations" but sometimes frustration gets the best of me. Again - sorry.
Cutie Patootie's Avatar Cutie Patootie
03:43 PM Liked: 24
#16 of 66
09-09-2007 | Posts: 4,749
Is there really a rhyme or reason to it? My father was a fraternal twin, so I always thought that meant I may have twins. Does anything really have anything to do with it, or is it all just coinkydink?
03:46 PM Liked: 10
#17 of 66
09-09-2007 | Posts: 484
No worries Zadee. BTW, your Twinkies are adorable.

Note to self - must buy yams

You multiple moms are a great bunch - these are the most responses I have ever got to a thread I started
04:04 PM Liked: 10
#18 of 66
I just read the following:

Quote:
Dr. Steinman found that women who become pregnant while breastfeeding are nine times more likely to conceive twins than women who are not breastfeeding at the time of conception
Another vote in my favor, (although my last two singletons were conceived whilst nursing too).
Periwinkle's Avatar Periwinkle
04:36 PM Liked: 11
#19 of 66
09-09-2007 | Posts: 8,530
I've retyped this a hundred times and I know it's still going to come out wrong, but... I don't know... just be careful what you wish for. Twins are really rare, I mean VERY rare in the natural human experience. There's a reason for that. It's easy to get all daydreamy about twins but it's extremely hard for the fantasy to come close to the reality for many, many mamas. Best of luck to you either way.
Kathryn's Avatar Kathryn
04:52 PM Liked: 12
#20 of 66
09-09-2007 | Posts: 5,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaDoula View Post
:

OP, I know how it is wanting multiples. I had dreamed of twins since I was a baby. I got a little more than a bargined for though.
As much as I love having multiples and the fun and just hilarious life that goes with it, I feel they are missing out on so much. I wish that I could give them the life I wanted to. I could've if I'd had them one at a time.
I wouldn't change a thing, but I often wonder how much closer I'd be to them if they weren't multiples.

Regardless, you're not planning on using drugs, so just keep hoping and maybe things will go your way.
05:04 PM Liked: 0
#21 of 66
09-09-2007 | Posts: 2,629
Quote:
Dr. Steinman found that women who become pregnant while breastfeeding are nine times more likely to conceive twins than women who are not breastfeeding at the time of conception
I was also breastfeeding when I got pregnant. It seems like lots of mamas here were as well. Also, I don't believe in the skipping a generation thing, either. From what I understand there is a gene that causes some women to release more than one egg during ovulation and that gene is passed down through generations. My great-grandmother had twins and then there were none until me.
06:41 PM Liked: 10
#22 of 66
gemelos - was it your great-gm on your mother or father's side?

Like I said my maternal grandmother was a fraternal twin, but my great-grandmother on my father's side had two sets of twins I believe.
Free Thinker's Avatar Free Thinker
06:46 PM Liked: 5
#23 of 66
09-09-2007 | Posts: 2,485
My DD stopped nursing completely in March, I got PG in April and felt 2 distinct ovulatory pains, one in each side. I figured the second one must have been something else b/c my CF had already dried up. I guess that means in the last 5+ years I have only been not bfing or PG for a total of 1 month b/c I got PG w/ #2 while BFing. Maybe my body didn't know what to do and just kinda spazzed out? BTW< twins do not run in either of our families that we know of. There are a couple of sets way back, like Great, great-grandparents, but nothing in the last 100 years I think that sometimes women just happen to O twice.

Oh, and my Dr also told me that stress can affect it (my DD was in the hospital for 3 days, it was stressful that month!)
wannabe's Avatar wannabe
06:55 PM Liked: 219
#24 of 66
09-09-2007 | Posts: 3,691
Fraternal twins can be passed through the maternal line - if you inherit a tendency to ovulate multiple eggs per month. I ovulated three eggs each month that I got pregnant with my singletons, luckily only one took each time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
I've retyped this a hundred times and I know it's still going to come out wrong, but... I don't know... just be careful what you wish for. Twins are really rare, I mean VERY rare in the natural human experience. There's a reason for that. It's easy to get all daydreamy about twins but it's extremely hard for the fantasy to come close to the reality for many, many mamas. Best of luck to you either way.
I always wanted to have twins... until I actually spoke to some twin mothers about what it's really like. :
07:57 PM Liked: 0
#25 of 66
09-09-2007 | Posts: 2,629
Quote:
gemelos - was it your great-gm on your mother or father's side?

Like I said my maternal grandmother was a fraternal twin, but my great-grandmother on my father's side had two sets of twins I believe.
I have no twins on my mother's side-they are all on my father's. It doesn't matter if they come from your mother or father's side. A father can pass that gene on to his daughters so that they may have twins, but a man cannot increase the chance's of his wife having twins. Does that make sense?

Quote:
I always wanted to have twins... until I actually spoke to some twin mothers about what it's really like.
No need to use the raining smilie! Twins are a blessing and they are worth all the extra work, tears, and stress. I prayed for twins and I would be honored to have another set. The best things in life do not come easy.
f&p'smama's Avatar f&p'smama
08:15 PM Liked: 10
#26 of 66
09-09-2007 | Posts: 906
I, too, am amazed when people who actually have kids want twins. I hope you get them! They are pretty great. A lot of work, but really great. I'll send you some two egg vibes!

Mine are from IVF, so that doesn't help you out.

I've heard that yams act like Clomid, are antiestrogenic, and leads to multiple ovulations. I think they have to be actual yams, though, which can be hard to find in the US.
katheek77's Avatar katheek77
08:24 PM Liked: 10
#27 of 66
09-09-2007 | Posts: 4,112
Yams.

At least, that's what I've heard...

Anyway, dentical twins in the family have no bearing on whether you are more likely to have twins or not. That's pure chance. However, fraternal twins in the immediate matilineal line (ie...your mom) or other matrilineal ancestors does have a bearing. Seems obvious...if you're predisposed to release two or more eggs at a time, well, obviously, you're more likely to have twins.

The "skips a generation" part comes because if your PATERNAL side has twins (grandma had frat. twins)obviously, your dad doesn't ovulate, but he CAN pass that tendency down to his daughters. So, it may very well have a "skipping" effect.

My husband has fraternal twins on BOTH sides of his family (both grandmas had fraternal twins, and there are more in more distant branches). My daughter was the survivor of an early twin miscarriage (which is the first in my side of the family as far as we know) God help our daughter.
MamaRabbit's Avatar MamaRabbit
11:43 PM Liked: 12
#28 of 66
09-09-2007 | Posts: 4,809
I never wished for twins. Never. I figured if it happened I'd deal with it. So far it's not too bad. But seeing Zadee's video of her twin tantrum scares the crap out of me... what do I have to look forward to!?!?

How did we end up with twins? I don't know. Not knowing identical/fraternal makes it more of a mystery. I was bfing duing that time. But I'm young. I did ovulate much later in my cycle than what is usual.
01:54 AM Liked: 10
#29 of 66
09-10-2007 | Posts: 484
Quote:
The "skips a generation" part comes because if your PATERNAL side has twins (grandma had frat. twins)obviously, your dad doesn't ovulate, but he CAN pass that tendency down to his daughters. So, it may very well have a "skipping" effect.
WOW, is that so! I like what I am hearing.

So, in summary, my paternal grandma had siblings who were twins AND my maternal grandmother was a twin. I have already had 3 children and I will turn 37 in the Fall. Lots of pluses. Now I have to convince DH to try for another when my DS turns 3.
Periwinkle's Avatar Periwinkle
11:22 AM Liked: 11
#30 of 66
09-10-2007 | Posts: 8,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by katheek77 View Post
Anyway, dentical twins in the family have no bearing on whether you are more likely to have twins or not. That's pure chance.
Not true! I used to think this too, but in fact identicals do run in some families. Has to do with a gene that determines how/when blastocysts or something split. I think it's so fascinating. One mama on this forum - is it 1Plus2 maybe?? (I'm bad at remembering usernames ) - knows a TON about the biology of twinning. It's very cool!

Reply Subscribe Parenting Multiples