I'm Having Twins! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-25-2003, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, everyone, I've been around MDC for a long time and only just found out that this forum exists! I am 13-1/2 weeks pg with fraternal twins and I'm so happy to find you here! I'm excited and nervous, esp. since my daughter will be right around two years old when the new ones come along. I'm reading Mothering Multiples by Karen Gromada and I've found it very reassuring, but all advice here is welcome as well! I'm tired of the moms at the mall telling me to "get them on the same schedule"!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2003, 01:11 PM

congrats!!! welcome

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

Old 07-26-2003, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Hey, has anyone here done three in cloth diapers at once? I'm not sure I have it in me...

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
Old 07-27-2003, 01:04 AM

I do - it's not that bad lol - certainly not any worse than three in sposies....

Old 07-27-2003, 01:08 AM

Congratulations! How do you know they are fraternal when you are so early?

Have you checked out the yahoo group, apmultiples? Karen Gromada posts there.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

I know fraternal from a transvaginal u/s, showing separate placentas and cords. Also, I saw the two follicles in one ovary that had erupted with two separate eggs.

Thanks for the info. about the AP group, I didn't know of it!

Old 07-27-2003, 02:21 PM

I know you probably know this, but MZ twins can have separate placentas, cords and sacs. It all depends on how early the egg splits.

Now the two follicles are another story. But there is always the chance that even if two eggs erupted, only one "took" and then split, so later if they really start looking alike, you can have them tested.

But you are probably right. I am just nerdy about zygosity discussions.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Frat. twins run in my family, but I guess I don't really care all that much which they are. Guess I'll know for sure only if they are different sexes (hoping to find that out Aug. 11).

Old 07-29-2003, 04:38 PM

Oops...double post. Sorry!

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
Old 07-29-2003, 04:38 PM

Laralou - I'm nerdy about the whole zygosity thing too. My girls each had their own chorion, amnion and placenta. We had their blood typed at birth and it was the same so we had their DNA tested. We felt silly doing it because they looked NOTHING alike. Everyone said it was a waste of our money. The test results came back that our girls are monozygotic! Now that our girls are getting older (they are 7 months) it's almost impossible to tell them apart.

Congratulations, Analisa on your twin pregnancy!! I hope you have a happy, healthy 9 months and beyond.

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
Old 07-30-2003, 05:12 AM

Hey there, Analisa! As moderator of this forum, I'm going to officially congratulate you on your twin pregnancy, even though I already PM'd you...

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 07-30-2003, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Karen and Piglet!

Old 07-30-2003, 02:31 PM

Another great book is When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets or Quads by Dr. Barbara Luke. She runs a prenatal clinic for multiple pregnancies and has a great rate of bringing pregnancies to term and without complications. It was very supporting of a healthy full term pregnancy without getting preachy. I felt it was pretty ap/nfl. It ranked as my favorite book during the pregnancy. Here's a link to the description on Amazon:

Book
Old 01-13-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs Mom View Post
Thanks! Hey, has anyone here done three in cloth diapers at once? I'm not sure I have it in me...
I do too! When I wash a big load of cloth i think of all the money I am keeping in the bank! I cant imagine how much it would have cost to sposie them all yowza!
Old 01-13-2007, 12:48 PM

Hi Jenn - this post is over 3.5 years old She's since had another baby according to her sig.... so I bet her twins are either out of diapers or will be verrrry soon

Old 01-13-2007, 03:03 PM

Congrats!! and Welcome!! I also have fraternal twins run in my family, but had ID twins, but only one placenta and one chorion.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:17 PM

Wow, I was seriously confused! How did this end up getting bumped from 2003?!

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:35 PM

I was wondering the same thing! I was getting confused because things weren't adding up.

Blessed mama of four
::
Old 01-15-2007, 05:30 AM

Never mind! I didn't notice the date!
Old 01-17-2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flminivanmama View Post
Hi Jenn - this post is over 3.5 years old She's since had another baby according to her sig.... so I bet her twins are either out of diapers or will be verrrry soon

Okay that is so weird!!! I swear it had to be near the top of the list and I didn't go searching for it... Weird! :
Old 01-22-2007, 02:55 PM

I'm a mom of two-year-old boy/girl twins. It's a crazy trip, but loads of fun. I know you're sick of hearing about getting them on the same schedule, but before I learned to breatfeed them together at the same time, my life was miserable. There is some truth in what those people have said to you...People usually have the best of intentions. Just trust that you'll find the groove that works best for you!
p.s. I'm a crunchy Catholic too. I don't think there are many of us out here!
Best wishes!
Old 01-22-2007, 03:34 PM

congrats on the twins. I had three in diapers for a long while. our twins were first then our singleton. you are so lucky you've had one already and will know what to expect (breastfeeding, diapers, sleep deprivation).

advise from this mom of multiples:

breastfeed as if your life depends on it--get a double pillow, they are immensely helpful. with my one child I never used any props but my arms, but with two the pillow was a lifesaver. it takes a while to get the hang of the double pillow/double nursing thing, don't give up--it's a lifesaver. If your twins are premies the inflatable double pillows are very good because they raise the babies up higher so you don't have to hunch over to get the nipples in their mouths.

slinging--I was able to sling my boys with two pouch type slings one over each sholder with either one in back and one in front, or one on each side.

best double stroller for podseats--double decker stroller, look online. I cried when we sold ours after they ourgrew it I loved it so much.

let them sleep together if they don't sleep with you. ours slept in the same crib until they were 9 months old

hang in there--the initial experience of multiples is so overwhelming, but it eventually passes

learn to grin when EVERYONE you encounter says, "You certainly have your hands full!" You will hear that expression or something equally redundant for years to come.

good luck getting enough rest.

Eden, mom of three
ps--i found the 3 in diapers time easier than the 2 potty training at once time.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flminivanmama View Post
I was confused too! I just saw that this thread had new posts. It's so funny to re-read everything from 3-1/2 years ago!

I *wish* they were out of diapers. At least the eldest is. The girl twin was for a while but has since gone back in. The boy twin has his moments...my fourth is now 13 months old so I've had three in diapers for over three years now! And I confess I haven't done much cloth in the past two years or so...just part-time with the youngest. I have no time and no money, but with four children in four years the time ended up winning out over the money so it's been mostly sposies. I am planning on getting the youngest back in cloth as soon as I unpack them - I currently have no idea where they are as we moved a month and a half ago and haven't unpacked too much since.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemah View Post
I'm a mom of two-year-old boy/girl twins. It's a crazy trip, but loads of fun. I know you're sick of hearing about getting them on the same schedule, but before I learned to breatfeed them together at the same time, my life was miserable. There is some truth in what those people have said to you...People usually have the best of intentions. Just trust that you'll find the groove that works best for you!
p.s. I'm a crunchy Catholic too. I don't think there are many of us out here!
Best wishes!
OK, it's really funny that my twins are over a year older than yours but you are giving me advice! Actually I hated nursing them together but I totally understand what you mean in terms of the time savings. I just couldn't get the hang of it (very large breasts requiring lots of hands-on support, ugh).

P.S. to you, meemah: join us in the Catholic mamas thread over in Spirituality!

P.S. to Eden - totally agree that three in diapers is easier than potty training two!

Old 04-06-2007, 10:59 PM

Congrats! Gain as much weight as you can early on...the babies need it..!

Also i know people tell you to get them on the same schedule but in the beginning just let them lead you and eventually they will fall in a schedule together....

good luck!

User Tag List