How many CDs should I buy for twins? (X-posted in Diapering) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 10-17-2007, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our twins are due in March, and I'm trying to plan ahead. We want to cloth diaper, but as these are our first children, I have no idea how many diapers I'm going to need. I'm also interested in other people's experiences CDing twins.

Mama to twins Wren and Robin, 3/3/08.
#2 of 25 Old 10-17-2007, 05:41 PM

Hi uccellina,

I am also expecting twins around March/April. I am interested in CD too. Don't you love how people think you are INSANE when you say that you are planning on doing this. I am so sick of the "GOOD LUCK" response, as if CD is so foreign. It wasn't that long ago that all moms were using them.

Take care,
Patty
#3 of 25 Old 10-17-2007, 06:14 PM

I used prefolds and Bummis covers. I had 48 infant prefolds (washed daily) and maybe 10 covers. We used these from birth until four months. Around four months I moved them into 24 premium prefolds with bigger covers. We used those until potty learning around 2.5 years. My two were six pounds each at birth. Good luck!

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#4 of 25 Old 10-17-2007, 06:59 PM

I started CD'ing once they reached 8 lbs. I use 36 infant prefolds and 8 fleece covers. For night I add a doubler and have 4 wool covers. I wash every other day. I think it's just as easy to use cloth on twins as it was for DD. Good for you for wanting to use cloth! You can do it!
#5 of 25 Old 10-17-2007, 07:44 PM

i had 40 kissaluv size 0s and ~10 covers as newborns and washed daily. now i have a crazy assortment of about 30 fitteds/covers and diff styled AIOs and i wash every other day. (i also have wool longies for bedtime b/c mine are nighttime super soakers and wool is the only thing they can't pee through) as long as you have a large enough stash, it isn't any harder to CD twins than it is to CD a singleton.

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
#6 of 25 Old 10-17-2007, 08:47 PM

I would think about 3-4 dozen for newborns would be plenty. My twins are 21 months old now and we have about 2 dozen we regularly use and it's plenty. But they poop more when they are newborns plus you don't have as much time to wash, so I would get 4 dozen.

Blessed mama of four
::
#7 of 25 Old 10-17-2007, 08:54 PM

I've got 4 dozen and 10 covers ready!

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#8 of 25 Old 10-17-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~patty View Post
Hi uccellina,

I am also expecting twins around March/April. I am interested in CD too. Don't you love how people think you are INSANE when you say that you are planning on doing this. I am so sick of the "GOOD LUCK" response, as if CD is so foreign. It wasn't that long ago that all moms were using them.

Take care,
Patty
I hear ya!!!!! : I'm so tired of my Mother telling the world that I "dare" use CD's on the girls in a very negative way!!!!!

uccellina....I answered you in the CD thread, but we use the Tiny Tush Elite pocket diapers. I didn't use the CD's when they were newborns though, even though I "r-e-a-l-l-y" wanted to use them and have been wanting to switch for a very long time now! I am so glad that I finally did!

Mamma to identical twin girls (June, 2006 born at 30 weeks), new bundle of joy due August, 2011
#9 of 25 Old 10-17-2007, 09:40 PM

My stash is 18 GMD orange edged prefolds, 18 XS BG AIOs, 12 KL0s, 12 s BG bamboo fitteds, 3 VB Hybrid pockets, and 10? XS FB. FOr covers I am still working on that, so far I have 4 nb BSWW and 2 thirsties covers. I figure I need maybe 2-4 more covers and I'll be set! I haven't bought many smalls yet, as I assume they will fit into the XS for hopefully 2 months or so. I had 2 in diapers, lots of moms do and it's completely do-able. My second DD was in cloth from day one, and I was able to do it! This time I plan to do sposies in the hospital (took cloth last time, just don't want to bother this time) and maybe the first few days, then cloth.
#10 of 25 Old 10-18-2007, 11:17 AM

For newborn up to 8lb I used ProRaps with 2 dozen preemie prefolds. Now at 3mo, we're using fleece covers (8 or so) and I have 4 dozen infant prefolds. I wash every 2 days or so. It's monsoon season now so it takes FOREVER for the prefolds to dry outside... so you may not need 4 dozen if you have a dryer I have 2 dozen premium size ready, but at 12 - 13lb right now, I still have the infant prefolds being too big. I use the preemie prefolds as doublers for nighttime now.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#11 of 25 Old 10-19-2007, 03:13 AM

We have 30 pocket dipes for our 13 month olds and wash about every 2.5 days or so.

oh, and I've finally decided snaps are better than velcro style for several reasons... easier to launder, you don't have to keep reminding anyone helping with diapering to make sure the velcro is perfectly adhered to the laundry tabs, no lint collecting in the velcro, no accidental rubbing on babies delicate tummy or thighs...

Good for you for choosing CD's! It really isn't hard at all once you get into the routine.

Mama to DS & DD, 4 years old TWINS 
Birthing/Postpartum RN on my "free time".
#12 of 25 Old 10-19-2007, 04:56 AM

You'll be so proud of yourself for CDing twins. I went to a playgroup yesterday. Not only were the other moms blown away that I was breastfeeding twins, but cloth diapering as well!

#13 of 25 Old 10-19-2007, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to thank everyone who has responded so far. It's very comforting to know that there are so many people willing to help me and answer my questions! I am most grateful.

Please continue!

Mama to twins Wren and Robin, 3/3/08.
#14 of 25 Old 10-19-2007, 05:24 PM

I only started cd'ing mine a few weeks ago but I am kicking myself for not starting earlier!

The other mamas have given great advice but I just wanted to say good luck!

SAHM to twin kindergarteners

#15 of 25 Old 10-21-2007, 07:53 PM

we're cd'd our twins and dd, though hopefully not form uch long (dd is starting to pt). We started cd'ing the twins as soon as they came home from the nicu D was <5lbs and A was 5-something. We use preemie prefolds and preemie prowraps here's the "big" guy
We also had a couple of preemie fitteds, aios, and fuzzibunz, but it was mostly pf's
After that we went to a variety, and that's where we're still at. NB stage I'd say 4dz is pleanty

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#16 of 25 Old 10-21-2007, 08:49 PM

I didn't CD my twins, but I am CD'ing a newborn and we have 9 covers -- totally not enough for me to learn pf. Practically every time she poops, it gets on the cover. So I'd recommend a ton of covers, esp if you are using pf.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#17 of 25 Old 10-21-2007, 10:42 PM

I started with 6 newborn covers and 36 premie prefolds. Then 36 infant prefolds 8 covers and 23 fitteds that I made for my husband to use. I have since added 8 sm pockets for outings and for night time. I have also found I like snaps better. It gets annoying pulling wash cloths of the velcro. I did find that I didn't need as much as I thought. We do wash every other day not because we run out of cloth. The opposite the pail would be over flowing. One more thing if you do cloth wipes buy or make extra. I've found myself doing wash just so I could have clean wipes.

Aradria SAHM to : ds 2003, ds and dd 2007 and ds Nov 2009. :
#18 of 25 Old 10-22-2007, 10:36 AM

I didn't CD my twins until they were 6 months. I have 2 dozen CPF's, 10 covers, and 18 pockets. I wash every 2 days..

Like someone else said, newborns poop more frequently, so I'd have 4 dozen on hand perhaps?
#19 of 25 Old 10-22-2007, 04:40 PM

My twins are a bit over 2 1/2, and we've been CD from the start. We use mother ease diapers ( the one size diaper) which has worked since they were 8# and will keep working (so I'm told) until 35#. I have about 60 of them. That seems like a lot, but it allows me to have some in a diaper bag, plus an emergency stash in the car, and some upstairs and some downstairs. I wash diapers about every 3-4 days. We had 6 covers in all sizes, and most of the time that was enough. We're adding a new baby before the end of the month, and I don't intend to buy any extra diapers.
Every body (except my mother) thought we were CRAZY for wanting to CD the twins. I'm excited about the money we've saved! One thing that has been a life saver is a toilet sprayer (a sink sprayer attached to the toilet). It makes clean-up so much easier.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#20 of 25 Old 10-22-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitter_patter View Post
I only started cd'ing mine a few weeks ago but I am kicking myself for not starting earlier!

The other mamas have given great advice but I just wanted to say good luck!

YEP! That's me all the way! I wanted too when they came home last summer, but just got around to "actually" getting them a couple of months ago. I know with my next child(ren) I will be CD'ing from the start!

Mamma to identical twin girls (June, 2006 born at 30 weeks), new bundle of joy due August, 2011
#21 of 25 Old 10-22-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleLove View Post
We have 30 pocket dipes for our 13 month olds and wash about every 2.5 days or so.

oh, and I've finally decided snaps are better than velcro style for several reasons... easier to launder, you don't have to keep reminding anyone helping with diapering to make sure the velcro is perfectly adhered to the laundry tabs, no lint collecting in the velcro, no accidental rubbing on babies delicate tummy or thighs...

Good for you for choosing CD's! It really isn't hard at all once you get into the routine.
I just picked up mine Saturday and I got 28 to start with for my 16 month olds. And I agree I like the snap way better than the velcro/aplix too. And yet again, it is easy once you get the hang of it! The hardest part for me was figuring out which diaper and what combo works best for my girls. I didn't try any prefolds as that didn't appeal to me at all, but I did try the fitted and the pocket CD's. It didn't take me long at all to get the washing routine down pat!

#22 of 25 Old 10-23-2007, 04:18 AM

yeah, it really doesn't matter what you choose as long as it's easy for YOU!

for me it's pfs and covers, for others it's fitteds, etc etc.

#23 of 25 Old 11-04-2007, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaDoula View Post
I didn't CD my twins, but I am CD'ing a newborn and we have 9 covers -- totally not enough for me to learn pf.
I have a friend who washes her dipes with her clothes. While I prefer to wash most of my dipes separately, covers don't need as intense a washing as the dipes themselves (usually). Maybe this could help you make your nine covers stretch farther.
#24 of 25 Old 11-04-2007, 04:47 PM

my twins are 8 wks. we use fleece pocket dipes stuffed with infant prefolds and washcloths for more absorbency...and prefolds in prorap covers when i know i want to change them soon (we're going out so i want to change right before we go, they're going to nap soon or i'm just at home and am able to change them each time they pee). i probably have 25-30 fuzzi bunz and 8 or so happy heinys and then a ton of prefolds that we use for everything.

we've done cloth from the beginning and i did it with my singleton son already - i wouldn't ever trade cloth for disposable. being able to have clean dipes available so easily and never having to go to the store and dish out so much $ for that yucky stuff. i actually enjoy cloth dipes but maybe i'm silly.

ignoring the naysayers now is good practice for after the babies arrive when there will be plenty more 'advice' to ignore!

best wishes.
#25 of 25 Old 11-04-2007, 10:16 PM

We had about 40-50 fitteds and prefolds plus 12-16 covers for the twins when they were newborn. Now we use 24 and about that many covers ( we only NEED like 4-5 each... they poop once a day and we change covers then ). Estimate 8-12 diapers per baby and 6 covers... or 8-12 aio/ai2s. After 6 weeks expect 4-8 per baby and 4-6 covers each. Nice thing is there isn't any extra laundry because one baby or two... they all fit in one load of laundry .

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page