due in January with girl-girl twins, supplies question - Mothering Forums

#1 of 15 Old 11-26-2007, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this is my first pregnancy (so first babies) and EVEN THOUGH I SPECIFICALLY ASKED in my registry no clothes (we have lots of hand-me-downs which I am totally fine with) I think from our showers we ended up with something like 70 NEWBORN (0-3 months) onesies. My husband is joking all the time "We have TONSIES!" I know people mean (meant) well with giving us all these newborn clothes but I am telling you seriously I have done 7 FULL loads of laundry of all baby clothes and I can't imagine having the time and stamina to keep up with everything. What would you do? I don't have room for all these clothes!

Then again I'm thinking HEY I'm having twins so I definitely need more than I can imagine.

My specific question is could you point me to a list of supplies, like how many of the things I ACTUALLY NEED, for 2 girls? How many onesies, how many sleepers, how many blankets (I think I have 20 blankets lol), how many hats, etc. for twins.

THANK YOU!

I'm trying to keep it together here but I feel all these clothes are driving me crazy! :

Melanie, vegan mommy to twin girls born Dec. 2007, and another little girl born Sept. 25th, 2009!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 11-26-2007, 03:12 PM

How often do you want to do laundry?

There are two ways you can approach this.

Minimalist, where you don't need much storage, but are going to have to do laundry every/every other day.

Excess (not meant in a bad sense), where you can delay laundry longer, it'll just be intense when you do have to do it.

Most people fall some place in the middle. There's pros and cons to both. But it's going to affect how much of what you want. You don't NEED very much at all, I didn't have any more clothing for my boys than I did for my singleton. Even with the cloth diapers, I added a dozen to my old stash and did fine.

BUT...my MIL was staying with us for 2 months and she likes to do laundry (or lies very well about it! ), so popping a few loads in a day was no biggie to her. If it had been just me, I probably would have trended towards a little more excess.

I would say that unless you're in the mountains you don't probably need more than 1 or 2 hats each. They tend to get eaten by the laundry machine--we ran out within 2 weeks and just never bothered with them after that...until 2 years later when we had to have the motor repaired and the maintenance guy found a crapload of baby hats and socks inbetween the basket and the rest of the machine. Blankets are okay to have excess as they're puke and poo catchers. I used mostly sleepers, since we didn't take anyone out anywhere for about 3 months, and they weren't born near any holidays.
#3 of 15 Old 11-26-2007, 03:59 PM

When my twin girls were born I had two other kids and we were living in 800 sq.ft. So, I gave away most of the clothes people gave us. I got a lot of bigger clothes that I bagged up and stored. They were so nice to have down later on.

Maybe you could exchange some of the smaller things for bigger stuff?

Here is what I can recall using:

8 gowns (these make diaper changes so much quicker)
8 onsies ( I love the TONSIES comment, btw )
4 hats
12 pairs of socks (they were always getting lost)
4 pairs of cotton pants (we mostly used their 1 pair of knitted wool pants. I wish I'd had more of these)

We didn't use sleepers much at all until last winter when they were a year old. 12 + diaper changes a day made them a PITA!

We had more clothes than what is on that list, but we never used them.

Congrats on your twins!

#4 of 15 Old 11-26-2007, 05:44 PM

I used sleepers a lot, preferably ones with zippers (don't know if its a guy thing of what, my husband never has been able to match up all those snaps). And diapers--I too, added a dozen to my singleton stash (I have 30 or so). Blankets are good. And I needed a lot of burp cloths/rags. My boys puked constantly, and my milk let-down was so intense that milk would spray everywhere if one of them popped off the boob.

I'd sort it in piles if I were you: stuff I like, stuff I'm OK with, stuff I'd never use. Donate pile 3, put pile two in boxes "just in case." And store the rest where you can get it easily. I used these tall little shelf things they sell at Target or Home Depot in the closet/storage when my guys were tiny. I think they're meant for storing shoes. They're tall and skinny and divided into little bins that hold a bunch of onesies or sleepers just fine.

Don't be afraid to get rid of stuff. It'll be harder, later.
#5 of 15 Old 11-26-2007, 10:30 PM

Honestly, I think I had about 5 or 6 cotton-footie sleepers for each of my twins and that's about all I got them into for at least the first six months. (My husband couldn't do snaps either for some reason LOL!) Seriously, I never figured out how people had time to dress two infants in "outfits."

And I HATED onesies. I much prefered the kimono, side snap or tie undershirts. Much less stressful than pulling it over their head. I used those instead of gowns around the house.

And I loved the zippered sleep sacks. Even when their weren't sleeping, it was much easier to keep them snug in those around the house than to keep a blanket on a very wiggly infant.
#6 of 15 Old 11-26-2007, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have twin girls and 2 older ones (and live in about 800 sq ft). We still got tons of clothes even though I already have children. I decided that the clothes were cute, and since I had no where to exchange or return, the girls would wear them. Some outfits were only worn once, and if still in great condition I gave them away. You could probably donate/consignment a lot of it.

I did tend to lean towards my favorite styles with them though. The gowns were great, onesies with long pants for nighttime (no sleepers here), and even though I'm in a hot climate, I go through at least a blanket a day with them still with all of the spitup.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#7 of 15 Old 11-27-2007, 01:36 AM

I returned a lot of the clothes we got and got bigger sizes. I hardly ever buy clothes for baby showers!
#8 of 15 Old 11-27-2007, 02:00 AM

I actually have packs of onsies I never even opened! They grow SO FAST!! My boys are 4 months old tomorrow and they are wearing size 9 months already! I had about 6 onsies for each baby. They never even wore newborn. I have newborn stuff with tags still on. The first 8-10 weeks at home you don't go anywhere really, so all the cutsie outfits can wait. Stick to the necessities. I had about 8 gowns total. 12 recieving blankets including several I stole from the hospital :

After about 8 weeks I got some cute carter colored onsies and about 6 pairs of cotton knit pants. Some long sleeve onsies. Carters also has these awesome convertible gowns.. the snaps can either be done up for a sleeper with legs or snapped all the way down as a gown. I love 'em.

Here's more of my list:
2 Moby Wraps
2 bouncy seats
2 swings
2 bumbos
1 pak-n-play
1 crib for now, though mine is being used as a catch all/storage.. LOL
The EZ 2 Nurse Twin nursing pillow is highly recommended, don't know how I would have gotten through the early weeks without it, and I'm still using it.
one boppy
about 2 dozen cloth diapers (for burp clothes)
4 bath towels
8 washclothes
1 electric double breast pump (Medela Pump-In-Style is awesome)

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Congratulations!!!
#9 of 15 Old 11-27-2007, 04:15 AM

Well since your due in the winter the onesies might be handy if you have the space and already washed them / can't return or exchange them. I found my girls dirtied teh onesie with every change for a whiel no matter what type of diapers, so I could easily go through 8 / day / kid.

My girls were Feb. adn they lived in sleepers (with a onsie underneith) for their first couple of months. I didn't find gowns so practicle for the winter because it was cold and theywere very tiny. (the kids, not the gowns). I would find the gowns halfway down their waist when I went to change them (their whole body went through the head hole ) After my twins outgrew the stuff (they wore 0 - 3 for at least 6 months) I was ruthless in going through and keeping only my favortes for the next one (I was pregnant again by then . After dd3 outgrew the stuff I gave away even more. I actually need to go check in the storeroom and see how much stuff I have. No clue if this one is a boy or girl, but either way s/he better look good in pink

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#10 of 15 Old 11-27-2007, 07:51 PM

You all are making me feel better! My mom keeps telling me I don't have enough, and I don't think I really do, I just don't know what I want to buy! I didn't have a shower, but I know lots of people are getting me stuff and I expect mainly clothes, so I havent' bought a whole lot. I did buy some matchy stuff from another twin mom, and that's it for clothes so far! I figure what I'll *need* is:

8-ish sleepers per baby in sizes newborn and 0-3, whatever I get in preemie I'll keep too.
5-ish onesies per baby (actually I want the side snap shirts instead, for layering)
1 pack of socks (if you use all sleepers you shouldn't need many socks)
2 hats
10-ish blankets total (I only have 4 recieving blankets! I should really start shopping more!)
lots of burp rags or extra blankets for burp rags
1 cardigan/sweater/jacket for layering if we go out (love the knit ones at babygap.com)
#11 of 15 Old 11-28-2007, 12:48 AM

HOw often are you planning on doing laundry? I wash every 3 days and 5 onesies each would not be enough in the beginning. In one day, we went through 6 of them!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#12 of 15 Old 11-28-2007, 10:20 AM

FreeThinker, definatly get some more onesies unless you are in love with your washing machine. I would get a few more sleepers too. I had my twins in Feb. and it's too cold for "gee not so many clothes lets go nakey" I would also make suer you have at least an extra sweater. You don't want to be out and about and one spits up, or you spill your drink on one, etc and have exactly the right amount of sweaters. Even if you are home you might not always be able to do laundry right away. With twins, a 3yo and a 5yo you are goign to want to go for more clothes and less laundry if possible. Just trust me on that one :

Mom to:

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#13 of 15 Old 11-28-2007, 01:38 PM

Thanks for the advice! I plan to go out Saturday and get the rest of hte stuff I need, so I"ll definately get onesies and a few more sleepers! I hope to do laundry every 2-3 days b/c otherwise it piles up too much! Of course my life will be crazy w/ all of these kids, so who knows how much I'll end up needing!
#14 of 15 Old 11-28-2007, 02:55 PM

Yeah IKWYM about the laundry. I had 3 in cloth and I couldn't wait more than 1.5 days for laundry anyway because otherwise it would be too much for a load. A lot of it depends on if you have a spitter or not. Nechama was a huge spitter upper. I woudl change her 5x a day and Rena could wear the same clothes for 24 hours sometimes : I would definatly go with a few more sleepers & onesies, even if you want to get them in the 3 - 6m size (mine wore 0 - 3 for at least 6 months but they were / are tiny). If you don't wind up needing htem you can always leave the tags on and exchange for a bigger size, or sell them as a lot "like new" if you took the tags off. I really liked those sleep sacks too, they could double for "clothes" with just a long sleeve onsie underneith when we were in the house. I agree with you about the socks. Socks never fit my kids right unti they were older. I always just used sleepers or sleep sacks (or left them barefoot when it got warmer)

Mom to:

#15 of 15 Old 11-30-2007, 08:34 PM

My boys didn't wear anymore than my singleton. In fact, they usually went through less clothes because I only bathed them every . . . 2-3-4 weeks :

They did get a quick rinse in the shower with Dad every once in a while though (I think, hmm)!

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page