Home Birth? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
1  2
Parenting Multiples > Home Birth?
hotmamacita's Avatar hotmamacita 09:51 PM 01-02-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoy2 View Post

ANYWAY, what were your experiences like? Did anyone else face this much opposition to HB of twins? And, please, if you have any thoughts re: concurrent MW/OB care for a so-far uneventful twin pregnancy, please let me know.

My head is spinning, and I really wish I had a few more advocates surrounding me right now! Or at least a good girl friend within driving distance to go and drink some tea with

Hope everyone's New Year is off to a good start!!
I hear you. I faced a lot of opposition actually and had very little support. Trust your instincts and enjoy your pregnancy. Eat well, drink lots of water, and rest, too.

MollyKenzie's Avatar MollyKenzie 02:38 AM 01-04-2008
Quote:
Well, DH and I just yesterday met with a different midwife to talk about HB. She started the conversation by saying that b/c I have twins and am first time prego, I should plan for a hospital birth, just find a doctor who supports the physiological side of delivery. She got a bit better as the time went by and is very knowledgeable of the medical side of things. Eventually she said she'd support either a home birth or act as labor hospital support. But she seems (obviously) very tentative to me and much more conservative than I am looking for. I didn't feel supported by her, and she makes me doubt my ability to carry the babies full term and birth naturally at home without complication. She made me feel AWFUL and I was crying for hours after meeting with her (she is very respected in this area, wrote the MW standards of care for the state, etc., but I really think she is more medically minded than what I need/want).
I just wanted to say that I am expecting twins late this spring and we are planning a homebirth. I went to an ob for a few visits, the same one that we transfered care away from with my first son, but knew that I wanted a homebirth. When we found out we were having twins, it seemed like everyone at his office wanted to treat it like some high risk preg. right off the bat. It totally freaked me out. I then met with our now midwife and are having a great experience! She totally expects me to carry to term, she knows that my body can do this, she doesnt think that having twins is so dangerous at home that we shouldnt even consider it. I really like her because while she talkes about the different things we need to consider as part of being pregnant with two, its not a handicap, just things to make sure we do and eat and that sort of thing. Also, if this helps you dh at all, she still takes my blood pressure, makes me pee in a cup, does blood tests and we will do an ultasound at 19/20 weeks. I feel as if I am getting such BETTER care! She wants to know what I am eating for crying out loud, my ob would never ask me that! She gives me fish oil (which you should be taking too in case no one has told you that, I guess it helps the placentas a lot) we talk for like an hour!

Trust your instincts about that one midwife, and go with what you want. I think that if you want to try for a homebirth there is no reason, at this point, that you cant do that. We are also really close to a hosp. and figure we can always go there if need be, but we can try for what we really want first.

Good luck and pm me anytime if you want to chat!
ChristaP516's Avatar ChristaP516 10:30 PM 01-06-2008
Quote:
but is also like saying, "these babies will be born before 37 weeks". NOT the message I want to give to my subconscious, my body, or the babies. Plus, how do we afford both a midwife and a doctor?
I just wanted to say that I am carrying triplets, I am 33W4D pregnant. While I do at this point NEED a cesarian (long story including some outside medical conditions and 3 badly breech babies), my doctor has told me that he has NO doubt in my ability to carry these triplets to 37 weeks. In fact my cesarian is scheduled for 37 weeks. It CAN be done. Having multiples does not MANDATE an early delivery.
earcher's Avatar earcher 12:17 AM 01-07-2008
I had twins at home (both were waterbirths as well) and I faced a ton of opposition. There were no MW's within 7 hours that would even consider doing twins. i turned over every rock! I spoke with CNM's, CPM's Direct entry. I called doulas and talked to every person I could find. I also interviewed 20 OB's and two perinatologists. In the end I used a traveling MW, whom i flew in at 37 weeks and i had 2 other Mw's in attendance + a doula with rescucitation and IV skills. My girls were 39 weeks; 7lbs 6oz and 7lbs 4 oz. Both were vertex.

I want to say that it is extrememly important to feel safe and confortable and also to be flexible. My pregnancy was very good, my labor was very simple and straightforward until things stalled. I was very fortunate to have surrounded myself with Mw's who really KNEW what they were doing. My girls were interlocked and they needed to manipulate the babeis in order for the birth to procede. It took them an hour and it was excrusiatingly painful. I would have been sectioned in a heartbeat at the hospital - no question. Once the babies were rearranged, it was hands off and I birthed the babies with ease.

Keep searching, looking, reading, learning and soul searching - your answers will all unfold!

Erika
purpleheather79's Avatar purpleheather79 12:17 AM 01-07-2008
Quote:

ANYWAY, what were your experiences like? Did anyone else face this much opposition to HB of twins? And, please, if you have any thoughts re: concurrent MW/OB care for a so-far uneventful twin pregnancy, please let me know.

My head is spinning, and I really wish I had a few more advocates surrounding me right now! Or at least a good girl friend within driving distance to go and drink some tea with

Hope everyone's New Year is off to a good start!!
My thoughts on concurrent care: I see the pros/cons. I did choose to have "backup" care for several reasons. I was having a mostly uneventful pregnancy with a few little exciting twists. One of my twins was breech until 36 weeks and had a SUA. They were also MC so there was the potential for TTTS. I was also planning a VBAC. The combination of thse factors made it seem reasonable for me to have a backup plan which included an OB. I only saw him 4 or 5 times at the very end of my pregnancy. It was very stressful for me-refusing exams, tests, etc. He scheduled a cesarean at 39 weeks which I did not show up for which again caused stress for me. So it's a tough call! Go with your gut. I would avoid it unless you really feel it may be beneficial or necessary.
kjoy2's Avatar kjoy2 03:37 AM 01-07-2008
Wow! Lots of good feedback, mamas. Thank you. And I extend my congratulations and awe to you all for being so brave and educated and birthing the way that you all felt best.

DH and I are going with MW #1. When we meet with her for our first official prenatal visit (this week or next), we'll definitely ask her more in-depth questions including the concurrent care dilemma (mostly to calm DH - though he has been reading 'The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth), who she would refer us to in the case of a condition developing, pre-term labor, etc - that is, try to cover all of the necessary secondary plans for twins.

Today in the mail I received a copy of my medical records from the OB-GYN group that we were seeing (they were no good at all for us!), and it was such a great feeling to be moving forward into a different type of birth planning.

Today marks 24 weeks! Feeling great, eating well, and employing positive affirmations for the babes & me.
musicmomto5's Avatar musicmomto5 04:13 PM 01-11-2008
I did care with midwife/ob just in case. I had already had 2 homebirths prior. I am so glad I was able to have a home water birth. I can't imagine doing all that hard work in the car, in the hospital, under their "rules", plus it started so quickly, I would have never made it anywhere. From 1st contraction to transition was only 45 minutes.
mamaeliz's Avatar mamaeliz 03:27 PM 01-13-2008
Hi there! Wow, I feel we are in a similar boat, as we try to decide whether to HB or not. So far, all our care is with a midwife, and I am 23 weeks along. I am going to see a perinatologist this week as he is well known in the HB community, and sounds very laid back. I guess he is from, and received lots of training in South America, so maybe that makes a difference. I am concerned, though, as to what he might do in a perfect environment as opposed to what he might choose in a hospital setting where his employment is contingent on following protocol. So..... I'll let you know how that goes.
I ended up in the hospital with my first as my water broke at 35 weeks and labor never started. 24 hours after my waters broke, I chose to go to the hospital, only to find that many hospitals were full (it was summer), and that freaked me out. I hadn't considered that. I think that if I have some dual care, (or care established with a doctor), I will be more "entitled" to a bed if I need it. I also ended up being under the care of a perinatologist once I entered the hospital, and ended up really liking him, just not the hospital where he works at. He "let" me eat, take a tub, didn't pressure me to birth, or induce, only talked about what he'd like to see, and the risks of waiting past 72 hours to birth. But he really made me feel it was my choice.
I can't compare MW care to that of an OB or a Peri, as I never had that, only MW care in pregnancy, but I really love it. We spend at least an hour every visit, and talk about EVERYTHING. I was nursing my 3 year old when I got pregnant, and my MW was fine with it until we learned at 16 weeks that it was twins. In fact, she thought nursing was great. I found it far easier to take the recommendation to stop nursing from her than I would have from a doctor.
I don't have much support for HB from my family, or close friends. I do, however, have a few friends who really believe in it, and feel pretty integrated into the alternative community here. But it is REALLY hard to have people make comments about not homebirthing in really direct ways. At this point, we have our MW, interviewed the MW we went with last time, tried to interview the Midwives at the hospital, but they won't take twin births, and now are going to see the Peri. I feel sooooooo much more educated than any of my friends who have birthed in any way, and find it hard to face their opposition, as sometimes I just want to be mean. Thankfully, I have tried to educate, instead. Neither midwife knew of Dr. Barbara Luke, (I would have liked that), but they do advise on nutrition and supplements. I love reading this board as there are so many women here who have made really educated, heartfelt choices, no matter where their birth ultimately was. So, my best to you, and hope to hear more!
P.S. I had a funny conversation with my older sister whose advice to me was to not gain too much weight in this pregnancy. I tried to explain how multiples are different, but she ended the conversation with the same advice. I had to zip my lip at that point!!!
MommaLove's Avatar MommaLove 05:33 AM 01-14-2008
i homebirthed my twins, as well as my 2 year old and my nearly 3 month old. It will work out if you put your mind to it and have lots of support.
1  2

Up