with your twin pregnancy... what did you measure when? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 12-16-2007, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all,

HUGE history of twins in dh's family (not genetic ) And now I'm measuring big.... I had NO twin vibe with this pregnancy. Still don't really. But given the measurement today, thought I'd start nosing around a bit.

With your twin pregnancies- when did you start measuring big? How big?

thanks!

-Angela
#2 of 23 Old 12-16-2007, 02:15 AM

I haven't been around much and didn't know you were pregnant. Congratulations, Angela!

I consistently measured 6 weeks ahead from whenever the first time my OB did a fundal measurement. I can't recall when that was, though.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#3 of 23 Old 12-16-2007, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

Yep. Due in May. Last month I measured right on.... (at about 14 weeks...)

Today at 19 weeks I measured... erm, quite a bit over

I had said I was all of a sudden huge. And I do carry ALL in front. And it could have been an off measurement (going to try to remeasure a few times over the next few days with dh...)

thanks for the info! Wondering on others...

-Angela
#4 of 23 Old 12-16-2007, 02:21 AM

20 cm at 16 weeks... final fh was 54! those are the only specific ones I remember.

However a friend of mine is about 34 weeks pg and measured at least as far ahead as I did at one point and definitely is only having one.
#5 of 23 Old 12-16-2007, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Good to know- thanks! My gut feel is still really that there's one... BUT... I am realistic enough to want to start playing with the idea in my head.

-Angela
#6 of 23 Old 12-16-2007, 03:35 AM

when I went in at 14 weeks, I measured at a fundal height of 20 weeks.

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#7 of 23 Old 12-16-2007, 09:29 AM

I was doing my own prenatal care every week and started measuring at 8 week... because I could definitely feel something to measure! At 10wk, I was 9cm. At 12wk, I was 14. Because that was bigger than normal for me (I usually measure small) + double fatigue (a 10min walk wiped me out) + double nausea (4 weeks instead of 1), I finally went in to my OB and had a quick scan done for my peace of mind... and it was twins.

Here were my measurements (keeping in mind that these could be for large singletons) and notice that it wasn't always consistent growth.

12wk, 14cm
14wk, 18cm
16wk, 20cm
20wk, 25cm
22wk, 28cm
24wk, 30cm
26wk, 34cm
28wk, 36cm
30wk, 38cm
32wk, 41cm
34wk, 43cm
36wk, 45cm

Babies were born at 37wk, 5days. At my last measurement, it was 46cm (51.5in around!) Babies were 6lb 8oz and 6lb 14oz. I gained 48lb.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#8 of 23 Old 12-16-2007, 12:20 PM

I only measured a week or 2 ahead until about 30 weeks.
#9 of 23 Old 12-16-2007, 12:28 PM

Congrats on your pregnancy!

I don't remember exact fundal heights (except that I could *really* feel the fundus well before the 12 weeks appt -- far above whereever it was supposed to be. How are you feeling otherwise? Any extra morning/all day sickness? Any extra being super tired (although I am willing to bet most second pregnancies are harder because you have to chase a toddler, too)? Aside from not having a vibe, how does the pregnancy compare to your first? My two were MARKEDLY different. Sick all the time with the girls. Tired all the time. And showed much earlier (although again, that can be a 2nd pregnancy thing). Are you doing UP? Do you think you will see a midwive or have an U/S to check?

Keep us posted! I these "maybe it's twins" threads
#10 of 23 Old 12-16-2007, 12:52 PM

I didn't start measuring big until week 30. However I felt big long before that.
#11 of 23 Old 12-16-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabrynn82 View Post
However a friend of mine is about 34 weeks pg and measured at least as far ahead as I did at one point and definitely is only having one.
That was me. I was always in the 4-6 weeks ahead range and never had twins. It also varied greatly depending on who was measuring me. It's one of the last things that would make me think I'm carrying twins but I guess I'm just used to measuring big by now. I should say that I have big babies too. I had a crunchy friend who was planning a homebirth and started freaking that she was having twins when she went in for her 14 week check and was measuring like 19 weeks. She was also just carrying one.
#12 of 23 Old 12-16-2007, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisLane View Post
Congrats on your pregnancy!

I don't remember exact fundal heights (except that I could *really* feel the fundus well before the 12 weeks appt -- far above whereever it was supposed to be. How are you feeling otherwise? Any extra morning/all day sickness? Any extra being super tired (although I am willing to bet most second pregnancies are harder because you have to chase a toddler, too)? Aside from not having a vibe, how does the pregnancy compare to your first? My two were MARKEDLY different. Sick all the time with the girls. Tired all the time. And showed much earlier (although again, that can be a 2nd pregnancy thing). Are you doing UP? Do you think you will see a midwive or have an U/S to check?

Keep us posted! I these "maybe it's twins" threads
I may have been a touch queasier in the first tri. Cleared up by 14 weeks same as with dd.

I have been a bit tired since the 2nd tri started- but was with dd too. AND I've started working part time in that time and taking dd with me (and getting up MUCH earlier) so hard to know what to blame- ya know?

I do have a MW. Too early to really palpate and count two. We found one heartbeat on fetoscope- but I was only 19 weeks and we didn't really SEARCH for another.

I would consider an u/s later if my midwife would be more comfortable knowing for sure (or if we're really uncertain and still measuring big) She's not worried at this point and will keep me if it's twins

Thanks all for the numbers! It's great to compare...

-Angela
#13 of 23 Old 12-16-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiannaK View Post
when I went in at 14 weeks, I measured at a fundal height of 20 weeks.

: I could feel my uterus at my belly button at 14 weeks.

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#14 of 23 Old 12-16-2007, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't really remember all of my measurements, but I found out at 20 weeks when we met with the mw for the first time. About 2 weeks before I was measuring right on, and then at 20 weeks I measured 26. The mw then tried to listen for 2 heartbeats and thought she heard another one for a second. That was enough for me to go and get an u/s.

Also, I had felt flutters on opposite sides of my belly when the baby could not be that big yet. I was sick, but not as much as my previous singleton. But I was a lot more worn out. I remember saying "I don't remember being this tired with S". And I started to show a lot earlier. My mother accused me of sticking it out. So I had an inkling early on but never in a million years would I have guessed it to be true!

Keep us posted!

Andrea mommy to G(2/97), S : (1/04), E & J (7/07)
#15 of 23 Old 12-16-2007, 07:54 PM

I don't have my measurements from early on because I was with an OB and he didn't tell me much. I know at 8 weeks I was measuring totally normal and at 14 weeks the dr. took one look at me and knew something was up. I don't know what I was measuring, though. Here is what I have from the last trimester:

34 weeks: 40 cm
36 weeks: 46 cm
37 weeks: 48 cm
38 weeks: 47 cm
40 weeks: 50 (or 52, can't remember which)

Blessed mama of four
::
#16 of 23 Old 12-16-2007, 07:55 PM

I measured 4-6cm ahead at 14 weeks, then it stayed about 4cm ahead for awhile and then I think I got even more of a gap in the end. Pretty sure I measured at least 10cm ahead by the end - probably more. I have it all recorded in a journal somewhere.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#17 of 23 Old 12-16-2007, 10:32 PM

I don't remember my measurements, but I remember that at around 12w I started saying things to my mw like, "Are you SURE I'm supposed to be this big?" It was my first pregnancy, and when I'd see other women who looked about my size, they were 6 months pregnant and I was 3 months. I just felt that I was way bigger than I *should* be. Around 18w my mw agreed, and ordered an u/s and sure enough, two little boys. Who are now about to turn 5yo, where did the time go?!?!?!?!?

Congrats on your pregnancy : <---- thanks for giving me a reason to use that smiley!

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#18 of 23 Old 12-16-2007, 10:42 PM

I was very skinny when I got pregnant, and I started to show at 5 weeks. By 12 weeks, I was measuring 15 weeks, and so on. I had them prematurely at 30 weeks but was measuring over 40 weeks. (sorry dont remember exact measurements) I gained alot of weight in that time (60 lbs)

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#19 of 23 Old 12-16-2007, 11:58 PM

I cant' recall what I measured when I found out (at 12 weeks) but the top of my uterus was way above by belly button. By the time I delivered at 37wks +4 I was measuring 58cm!
#20 of 23 Old 12-17-2007, 12:18 AM

Knew it was twins from early on from u/s and never had any measurements done. I started growing in the first trimester though.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#21 of 23 Old 12-17-2007, 12:21 AM

14 weeks was the 1st time I got measured and I was 6 weeks ahead, 2 weeks later I was 11 weeks ahead : I stayed about 11 ahead most of my pregnancy getting up to 54 but 40 weeks.
#22 of 23 Old 12-17-2007, 12:25 AM

It was my first pregnancy, but I started measuring ahead at 16 weeks (probably about 2cm) and from then on consistenly measured 4cm ahead until 28 weeks, and I measured 37 cm then. I delivered the next week
#23 of 23 Old 12-18-2007, 11:21 AM

I was measuring big starting from late in the first trimester. It was 11 weeks when the midwife strong-armed me into an ultrasound, because she suspected twins. I don't know HOW big though; but I can say that I am thin to begin with, was wearing a size 4 before I got pregnant, and that I needed maternity pants by 10 weeks.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page