Stroller Question for those with newborn twins and toddler - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 12-16-2007, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a question about what stroller is best for my situation. I have a 2 yr old son and am preg with twins due in early May. I have found this stroller: http://joovy.com/pages/pd_bigcaboose.php
I think it will work best for my situation, since I can use it both for my newborns and when they get to be toddlers, in addition to my older son. But, I have a friend who has another type of Joovy and she doesn't care for it.

Anyone have experience with it? Or can anyone recommend a stroller that will work for newborns and a toddler? I do plan on wearing the babies as much as I can, but I also realize that there will be times when I will need a stroller.

Thanks in advance!
Jonna
#2 of 18 Old 12-16-2007, 09:58 AM

I can't speak to the Joovy specifically, but I know a lot of people are really unhappy with their tandem/front-back strollers when their children get bigger because of the weight distribution and how it impacts the maneuverability of it. One popular older child-twin infant set up is the Valco Twin with toddler seat. Unfortunately, that price listed is just for the toddler seat. It's not an inexpensive proposition. Good luck figuring out what you'll do!

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#3 of 18 Old 12-16-2007, 11:13 AM

There are a few double strollers that will allow for a toddler seat, none of them cheap though

I was in the same situation except the oppiste. My twins were 17 months (and only learned to walk around 16.5 months) and I just couldn't afford a triple stroller / new double w/ seat so what I did was just slung the baby most of the time and pushed the twins, or I had the twins take turns walking. You could prabably get away with a double (I see your ds is the same age as my dd3 adn she really doesn't need to ride very much anymore) and slinging one of the babies when your ds needs a break to sit.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#4 of 18 Old 12-16-2007, 11:31 AM

I don't have familiarity with that stroller. I had a side-by-side MacLaren and a single MacLaren. For times we'd be out in the city, I would wear a baby, stroller a single baby, and my 2 year old would walk next to me. Other times, I'd wear a baby & do a 2yo and a baby in the stroller.

Actually, when they were newborns, I had a borrowed Emmaljunga and my son would ride in one side and both babies would be snuggled in a carseat together (they were tiny) in the other side of the stroller. We were pretty suburban, though.
#5 of 18 Old 12-16-2007, 12:06 PM

That thing is HUGE, and hard to steer. I would consider a regular double, and slinging one baby to begin with. I would also get a toddler board- at almost three, your toddler/preschooler should be pretty good with one of those. Depending on what type of stroller you get, you can get either a buggie board or a kiddie board.
#6 of 18 Old 12-16-2007, 12:18 PM

My twins were tiny, for the first summer (born in June), they laid side by side in one side of the Inglesina Twin Swift, and their 2 year old sis was in the other. My 3 year old at the time stood on the bar in the back when necessary.

Our twin swift has a ton of miles on it, 3 years old, and still going strong.
#7 of 18 Old 12-16-2007, 10:02 PM

A Valco double with toddler seat works really well (that's what we have ). Another option is the ABC double with toddler seat. It is a jogger stroller (I personally think that bike tires are the only way to go), with the toddler seat up top where the handle bar is. I would have gotten one, if I had know about it before we got the Valco. A friend has one, and she loves it!
#8 of 18 Old 12-17-2007, 01:13 AM

We made due with a single stroller for all 3 at the beginning. Once babies were big enough, they went in a side by side and DS walked.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#9 of 18 Old 12-17-2007, 04:32 AM

Until the boys were about 15 months, I was able to use our MBUD with my dd sitting on the footrest. A lot of people do that. Still, not a cheap stroller, but it's a wondeful stroller & you don't have to pay extra for the toddler ride. Oh, the reason it stopped working around 15 months is b/c that's when my twins decided they didn't want their sister sitting there anymore and literally would kick her off!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#10 of 18 Old 12-17-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+twins View Post
Until the boys were about 15 months, I was able to use our MBUD with my dd sitting on the footrest. A lot of people do that. Still, not a cheap stroller, but it's a wondeful stroller & you don't have to pay extra for the toddler ride. Oh, the reason it stopped working around 15 months is b/c that's when my twins decided they didn't want their sister sitting there anymore and literally would kick her off!
We had the same situation/set-up, only using a BOB Revolution Duallie (and did the same with a Baby Jogger City Series Double for a few months)--now my dd gets upset that she's getting kicked, but most of the time, she'd prefer to walk anyway.
I know that the Joovy doubles are heavy, I can't imagine how heavy the triple is!

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#11 of 18 Old 12-17-2007, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just bought this recently stroller, and so far I love it.
http://www.combistrollers.com/Produc...&productID=503

It is super light, compact and has excellant steering. The only thing I would change is the baskets underneath are small. I just have 2 clips that clip to the handle and clip my diaper bag to them. So then I have twins in stroller and dd walks, or I let her ride and wear a baby. Plus, it is a lot cheaper than some of the others mentioned. I got it new on ebay for pretty cheap.

Andrea mommy to G(2/97), S : (1/04), E & J (7/07)
#12 of 18 Old 12-17-2007, 05:34 PM

I have a similar situation and was going to check out the Valco with the toddler seat. Everyone i know who has one raves about it. The only down side is the $$$.
#13 of 18 Old 12-18-2007, 03:43 PM

We have a Valco and my older ds sits on the front (although we do have the kicking off problem now too!). It works well. A lot of the time I will sling 1 baby and put the other baby and my older ds in the stroller. We also have a Maclaren twin techno and my older ds can stand on the back of it and he loves that! The Maclaren is nice because it fits in the car A LOT better but I love the Valco for walks/camping/beach.
#14 of 18 Old 12-18-2007, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie View Post
Another option is the ABC double with toddler seat.
That ABC stroller looks pretty neat! You see lots of people plopping toddlers on the top of the canopy/handle bar on strollers that weren't designed to do that. It usually breaks them, of course. But when it's engineered with that in mind, whoo hoo! Looks like the weight distribution would be good.

Our little guy was 22.5-month-old when our twins were born. But we didn't start riding three-up in a double stroller until he was 2yrs and 4months and the twins were almost 6 months (we didn't get our main double stroller before that). We've continued to use it that way on occasion at present (twins now 1yr and toddler almost 3), although he usually walks.

We bought a Teutonia, which is a lot like the ABC stroller. There is no toddler seat, though. We just sat him in between the two babies. We pushed their legs out to each side a bit and there was lots of room for him in the middle - sitting half on each seat. No harness, obviously but he was old enough that it didn't matter. And I do have a removable grab bar that attaches across the front for when he wanted something to hang onto, that "trapped him" in there!

When the babies were newborns, we put both of the them in the bassinet attachment for our single stroller. A few times, our tired toddler had to hitch a ride on the end of the bassinet. Good thing it's a high-quality stroller!

We also have a Maclaren twin traveller for away-from-home. Then, as others have suggested, we do one baby in arms or in carrier and one baby and the toddler in the two seats of the stroller.

Having done it, it was not different than I expected. With the kids being roughly two years apart, there was not enough overlap in stroller need that I (personally) would have spent extra money for a special attachment or three-kid stroller to accommodate the toddler.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#15 of 18 Old 12-19-2007, 03:11 AM

We have the triplet joovy and LOVE it... granted anything that holds 3 kids is going to be huge and not the easiest to 'drive' but we do love this model.
trust me we have a wide variety of strollers in our garage
#16 of 18 Old 12-20-2007, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies! I really appreciate all the info-I am glad to know that at least one person has used the Joovy and liked it. I agree that anything I buy to handle 3 kiddo's will be heavy and a little difficult to maneuver. And I do plan on wearing them as much as possible, but I know I will have situations where I will need this type of stroller.

I welcome anymore suggestions! I did find out today that I am having identical twin boys, so at least the red/black colors of the Joovy will look good for my boys!
#17 of 18 Old 12-22-2007, 09:08 PM

nak
We love love love our valco and wish we had bought it sooner (we got it at 6 months). There is a thread I started here that has a lot of povs to share. GL!
#18 of 18 Old 01-08-2008, 03:19 AM

I have an Mountain Buggy Urban Double which I used for my first 2 boys. I love that stroller to pieces!!! It steers like a dream no matter how much weight is in it and can easily be loaded down with shopping bags, extra kids and anything else you can pile on it.

However, since the twins arrived, I wanted a stroller that could accommodate all my kids since they still all like being in the stroller (and frankly, I like the possibility of keeping them all contained at the same time when I"m out by myself with them). So we bought a ABC Everest Twin with Double Toddler seat (Adventure Buggy Company) stroller. I have to say that it is a very expensive stroller but extremely well made. And the best part? It can accommodate 2 infants, or 3 kids or 4 kids. You can add on a single toddler seat or add on a double toddler seat to accommodate 4 children. It comes with all the accessories you could possibly need or want so it probably compares in price to the MBUDs and Valcos of the world. It's definitely worth looking into if you need a stroller to accommodate that many children.

It's a tough decision but if you do enough research, you'll find the one right for you. Good Luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page