Mothering Forum banner

Nursing a singleton after twins

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  flminivanmama 
#1 ·
Two twin mamas recently told me that they had a ridiculous over supply of milk for their singleton after having twins. They were told there was a change in the ducts as a result of nursing twins.

Was this the case for you? If so, what did you do? I had to work to build my supply by pumping a ton in the beginning with my twins because they were not good nursers, so this is out of my realm of experience.

#2 ·
I found nursing my singleton to be really easy! First, there was only one baby, second, I didn't have to pump, and third, we had no NICU time. I really had to work at getting nough supply for my twins too. Breasts are amazing, and will produce the right amount of milk for your baby. In the begining, you probably will have some engorgement, but I think that's pretty typical.

#3 ·
I had my singleton 6 years after my twins and couldn't believe how much easier it was!! But yes--I definitely dealt with oversupply--she had a foremilk-hindmilk inbalance (green, frothy poop) and I ended up only nursing on 1 side for 3 or 4 feedings, THEN switching to the other. I pumped too, just to stay comfortable (because the breast that wasn't being nursed was so full!) but didn't want to stimulate an even bigger supply, so it was a bit tricky. HOWEVER, this challenge pales in comparison with premie twins and the supply issues I had with them. Good luck--you'll do great! Your body DOES know what to do...it just might take a few weeks to get in the swing of things!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.