Tell me I'm not alone: WARNING-not for new twin moms or moms to be - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2008, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My twins turned 2 Sept. 1st. They get into absolutely EVERYTHING. As in: the other morning I went to take a shower while one of them was asleep and the other was playing with his older siblings (9 and 6). I came out of the shower to find that both twins were now up and had decorated my room with baby powder. I can't figure out how on earth they got that container open - I can hardly do it. Baby powder piles on my bed, baby powder all over the area rug, baby powder dusted across the wood floor, the dresser, my closet, my clothes, dh's clothes -- clouds of powder just were hanging in the air.(cornstarch powder btw)
Oh, then there wasthe incident where I had to go to their oldest brothers' room(he's 12)- I was in there for all of 2 minutes, came out and found thatthey had gotten minced garlic(the Sam's club size) and shaken it all over. All over my bedroom, the hallway, the stairs , the mainfloor hall, the kitchen, the livingroom, the basement hallway,etc.
Or, how about the time when they decided topaint the piano and nearby bookcase with desitin?
Or the time they got someone's toothpaste and paintedthemselves.
Or the poppyseeds, or the black pepperthat turned my kitchen floor into a sandbox...
Let's see...the flooding of the bathroom, the getting into my make-up drawer.

Let it be on the record that my pantry has a lock that I keep locked, as does my mainfloor bathroom. However, my family is harder to convince.
I'm always running at least one step behind the twins, who by the way, do not sleep all night- one nurses every coupleof hours still, trying to clean up their messes only to find another one.

Tell me that it gets better or better yet, tell me that you've hired on my behalf a full-time housekeeper who will allow me to be a mommy to my kids where I could say to them 'what would you like to do next' instead of 'NO!!!!stop it!!!! why, why, why?!"

And let it also be known, that I feel incredibly blessed - I love my kids and my family, but these babies are sure giving me one heck of a run for my money.

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 12:52 AM

In the last week alone, I have found my girls covered in:

1. diaper creme (pushed a chair up to the cupboard to climb up and open a drawer to get it) (a few minutes of helping DS in the other room)
2. vaseline -- head to toe on them and all over my bed (DH and I playing with DS *briefly* in another room)
3. my mom's lipstick (she had the naive thought that she could leave it in a zipped bag in a drawer next to the guest bed)

You are not alone!!!
Old 01-02-2008, 01:05 AM

You are not alone. My two just turned two. I can't leave either one alone except in one of two toddler-proofed (is there such a thing) rooms and I can NEVER leave them alone together. I have more gates in my house than I care to admit. I have heard it gets better but we are not there yet.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
Old 01-02-2008, 01:29 AM

You're not alone and I don't even have twins!!! Its been a while but we've had slimy things, wet things, sandy things, powdery things, make-up things, oily things, painty things EVERYWHERE! (I'm sure there is more that I've blocked out. Those are just the ones that come to mind right now.)

I hearby dub you "Queen of Disaster Management" may you always be endowed with a remarkable knowledge of the best way to approach any type of mess.

Good Luck. . . feeling your pain!
Old 01-02-2008, 02:12 AM

What about the person who left it open (whatever "it" is - or if no one admits to it, all non-Mom people are assigned to it) have to clean up whatever mess it was (the whole deal - like wash the clothes, fold and put them away, sweep the floor, wipe whatever up, etc.). No exceptions.

Seems like that would help their memory.

If it were me I'd make florescent signs and post them at eye level on each door (with velcro tape or whatever) saying, "PLEASE, remember to close this door!!" so that they couldn't say they didn't know it needed to be shut.

I would also get together some sort of sensory play together for the little ones. Hair gel in the bathtub before bath; shaving cream (when stripped down) at the dining room table; a tupperware box of beans (or rice) and cans, smaller tupperware and measuring cups to pour them back and forth; an old coffee can and playsilks and other things stuffed inside; a can of water and a paintbrush outside on the concrete, etc.

Lastly, I'm NOT in your shoes, but I commiserate... I hope you find some help from your family happens quickly!

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

Old 01-02-2008, 03:04 AM

I feel I need to let you know that yes, it does get easier. Although not necessarily if you have another set of twins just behind them.

My girls are almost six and they have so much fun together. They don't make messes anymore (I think that stopped completely somewhere around four) although they do still leave things around that the babies shouldn't get into. You think your family members are bad!

But it's just one of those twin mommy days...breathe...and soon they will be doing one of the cutest twin things you could imagine...again.

Mama to Hannah & Hailey 1/5/02 C.J. 2/18/03 Anthony & Jamie 3/23/05 Chuck 10/9/08 42-week Sam 8/9/10 Mae 4/22/12
Old 01-02-2008, 04:29 PM

And here I thought it was supposed to get BETTER at 2???

Mine are 20 months and are holy terrors. They get into everything and destroy rooms faster than tornadoes!

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
Old 01-02-2008, 04:33 PM

Without even giving it much thought I can remember 2 instances specifically --

1. My (then) 2yo twin boys squeezing an entire tube of Desitin into the fish tank

2. My (then) 2yo boys decorating themselves and the entire bathroom with my mascara (and dh wonders why I never wear make up anymore! Nothing is safe from them!)

Yeah, being a mom of twins = eyes in the back of your head, or never showering or peeing. Because you can't leave 'em for a second!

Now they are almost 5yo and things are wayyyyyy better. But I have a 2yo girl and she's quite the powder-spiller.

My dh is usually guilty of leaving things open or unattended and it makes me want to

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 01-02-2008, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaDoula View Post
My dh is usually guilty of leaving things open or unattended and it makes me want to
Exactly. And then he gets upset that there is a mess and 'who made it,anyway?'
aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
FWIW . . . it is my observation that the mischevious actions of same age siblings are wholly incongruous to the actions of any one of those children on their own. . . . .

In other words . . . . any one of my triplets when separated from their siblings is a relatively easy going and easy to handle child. However, when grouped together 2 or all 3 -- the child in the "group" is almost unrecognizable to the child on his own. They will do things together that they would NEVER dream of on their own. They will act out, tantrum, etc. together in a way that I'd never see with the child individually.

I also observe this phenomenon is somewhat unique to the "same age" siblings - v. groups of older/younger sibs together . .. . . Far more mischief made by same age sibs - than older/younger sibs . . .

My latest list . . . .

1. Shoving pennies in my minivan CD player while I vacuum it out
2. Shoving legos in a slot of my 2 living room ottomans (no way to remove)
3. Writing on the wall
4. Ripping books

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
Old 01-02-2008, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
3. Writing on the wall
Oh, yes. I did leave that one out. Gedalya writes all over my walls. I spent more than an hour Sat. night scrubbingthe walls clean, only tohave him remark them on Sunday. And when I catch him redhanded...he looks soooooooo guilty. He tells me 'only on paper' but then does the wall anyway. I've had my older kids trythat out, but only a little. Actually , my oldest did it a fair amount and then blamed his baby brother- grrr. Hmmm. and GEdalya and Akiva share quite a bit of personality traits-which makes me very nervous - I think I'm going to be doing a lot of praying.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:20 AM

Writing on the walls is so common here, I didn't even mention it.

None of my children have any interest in paper. And why should they -- our walls are a ginormous canvas.

I literally plan to let it go until we get ready to move...

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 01-03-2008, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripMom View Post
FWIW . . . it is my observation that the mischevious actions of same age siblings are wholly incongruous to the actions of any one of those children on their own. . . . .

In other words . . . . any one of my triplets when separated from their siblings is a relatively easy going and easy to handle child. However, when grouped together 2 or all 3 -- the child in the "group" is almost unrecognizable to the child on his own. They will do things together that they would NEVER dream of on their own. They will act out, tantrum, etc. together in a way that I'd never see with the child individually.

I also observe this phenomenon is somewhat unique to the "same age" siblings - v. groups of older/younger sibs together . .. . . Far more mischief made by same age sibs - than older/younger sibs . . .
:

On their own, my girls are SO easy. Really fun and well-behaved and, well, easy. But together... it's like they build on each other's bad ideas, piling on with other bad ideas. This is something I would not have understood or fully appreciated when I just had my singleton!

At least we're not alone!
Old 01-03-2008, 01:29 AM

My list is poop. Just poop. They have smeared and eaten more poop in the last six months than I EVER wished to have to deal with. :

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
Old 01-03-2008, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I am SO sorry.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
My list is poop. Just poop. They have smeared and eaten more poop in the last six months than I EVER wished to have to deal with. :

Us too! Today one of my twins pooped and peed in her potty and then 2 hours later she was supposed to be taking a nap and had pooped and peed in her bed. She was fully dressed and had her dipe on backwards too when I laid her down. They also like to drink out of the toilets.

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
Old 01-03-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleheather79 View Post
Us too! Today one of my twins pooped and peed in her potty and then 2 hours later she was supposed to be taking a nap and had pooped and peed in her bed. She was fully dressed and had her dipe on backwards too when I laid her down. They also like to drink out of the toilets.
OT - Heather, I just watched your birth video and I'm totally crying. What a beautiful video . . . . . .

Old 01-04-2008, 05:33 PM

You are not alone, mine juast turned four. I'm laughing because they did powdered sugar all over the kitchen and they've smeared poop all over the crib and they continue to be partners in crime but the good news is that you can look back and laugh. The newest thing they did was I had set up some eggs and heated my skillet while I went to the bathroom and next think I know they say mom our eggs are ready, what!? They were on a chair cracked the eggs all over but actually cooked one of them. Thank God they didn't get burned.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

just last week the twins got ahold of 1/2 doz eggs and cracked them all over my livingroom floor - on my oriental rug... that was the day when dh came home i said 'i quit' -

hmmm. apparently I blocked this from my memory until now.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:16 PM

OK, so 2 isn't easier than 1? lol

My guys have broken everything, climb everything, take their poopy diapers off, are constantly covered in bumps and bruises, and lately they have discovered that they no longer want to share so they have these tug-of-war screamfests over every single toy.

you are not alone! and i am glad i am not either!

thanks for posting.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:50 PM

I've been avoiding this thread out of fear. Now I'm even more scared. My girls are turning 2 next Thursday (how did that happen?) and so far I have been really lucky. There was an incident with a dark blue crayon on my light blue sofa, but I flipped the cushions over and when I flipped them back weeks later to clean them, it magically had disappeared (rubbed in, I guess). They like to pull wipes out of the container, but they haven't managed to get to what we call "tushie goop" here. I am totally jinxing myself by posting this, aren't I?

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:58 PM

I seriously call mine the Master and Mistress of Destruction. I think that since there are two or three of them at the same age, they have twice or three times as many ideas about how to get into things. It's like a gigantic brainstorming session of chaos and havoc. I can't turn our couch cushions over anymore-- I'm out of unstained sides!

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
Old 01-06-2008, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

We call ours the Dynamic Destructive Duo...

Old 01-06-2008, 06:56 AM

This all sounds about right... lol

Today my girls got into the fridge and got out all the grated cheese and piled it on top of their mermaid figurines - it was the seaweed! Fortunately, now that they are four they want to also clean up. They don't do it well, but they get it started before running off to tear up, err be creative, with some other part of the house.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:00 PM

I was totally shocked when my dd was a toddler. After her brothers I just sort of assumed it was normal to have to keep everything in the house under lock & key. The things they did were SO not funny at the time but after all these years they do amuse me. Hang in there - it really will get better!
Old 01-07-2008, 03:27 AM

My girls will be two soon and this thread scares me! Maybe since we don't have any other kids at home to pick up from? I let them roam the house, don't keep everything under lock and key, took all my gates down and only have my toilets/cabinets locked because I figure one day it'll interest them.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthFree View Post
What about the person who left it open (whatever "it" is - or if no one admits to it, all non-Mom people are assigned to it) have to clean up whatever mess it was (the whole deal - like wash the clothes, fold and put them away, sweep the floor, wipe whatever up, etc.). No exceptions.

Seems like that would help their memory.

If it were me I'd make florescent signs and post them at eye level on each door (with velcro tape or whatever) saying, "PLEASE, remember to close this door!!" so that they couldn't say they didn't know it needed to be shut.

I would also get together some sort of sensory play together for the little ones. Hair gel in the bathtub before bath; shaving cream (when stripped down) at the dining room table; a tupperware box of beans (or rice) and cans, smaller tupperware and measuring cups to pour them back and forth; an old coffee can and playsilks and other things stuffed inside; a can of water and a paintbrush outside on the concrete, etc.

Lastly, I'm NOT in your shoes, but I commiserate... I hope you find some help from your family happens quickly!
Yep, if the older kids left it open, or let the twins make the mess without alerting you. . They clean it up!!

That said, I have pulled out 12 rolls of toilet paper out of the toilet this week!! (and cleaned 2 lbs of rice off the floor, but it kept them busy for a while, sigh).

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
Old 01-08-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geishagirrrl View Post
OK, so 2 isn't easier than 1? lol
I didn't say THAT! ANYTHING is better than 1 - IMHO

Old 01-08-2008, 03:36 PM

BTDT...and it does get better, I promise.

I do still have moments of (edited, of course) "WTF were you THINKING!" when the twin plus older sister synergy gets going and they carelessly destroy things or just do something thoughtless. But I can have more of a sense of humor about it now that it only happens maybe 3-4 times a year.

My advice is to keep a digicam handy so you can show their boyfriends/girlfriends the mayhem when they're teenagers and college age. Plus, there's something about being on the opposite side of the camera that can really help diffuse anger. There really is something to the idea that you either have to laugh, or kill them.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, every time I catch them, I'm trying to get their pictures...at least then I have to laugh and it's not so horrid.

User Tag List