homebirthing twin mamas- midwife questions - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 84 Old 01-06-2008, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemelos View Post
Defenitely people should treat you with respect. But it's ok for us to offer our opinions, even if you don't like them. I see you do it all the time.
Absolutely- offer all your opinions Just don't attack me personally- I don't

Really, 99.9% of the posts here have been great.

-Angela
#62 of 84 Old 01-06-2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry that is the vibe you are getting from this thread.
Me too!
I dont have multiples but I wanted to tell you that I think its awesome what you are doing I also wanted to say congrats!! Rock on mama!!
#63 of 84 Old 01-06-2008, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek_the_girl View Post
Me too!
I dont have multiples but I wanted to tell you that I think its awesome what you are doing I also wanted to say congrats!! Rock on mama!!

-Angela
#64 of 84 Old 01-06-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmamacita View Post
Alegna. You seem to have it all figured out. I suppose I don't understand what you want from this thread then. No disrespect, I just am not getting what you want here.
That.

The original OP asked for things to think about and ask a midwife about. People on this thread have given suggestions, and the response seems to be, "I'm educated on that, I'm aware of the risks, my mw is fine with that, it's not a concern for me."

Honestly, I think you know everything there is to know -- you know about mono/mono, mono/di, di/di, positional issues, and you have a mw who UC'ed twins. You're eating protein and drinking lots of water. You're all set.

If people seem to disagree with your choice, that's their business, just like homebirthing twins is yours.

Remember, judgement is not always wrong

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#65 of 84 Old 01-07-2008, 05:32 PM

I really don't see this thread as you do angela. Yuma has put it well and while I haven't read many of the other posts, I am sure everyone who has responded has either been there or has strong opinions about it and opinions are good. Take what resonates but don't turn it into a fight. I am all for your homebirthing twins!!!!

Trust your instincts!

Don't make decisions out of fear and this includes fear of tests or doctors.

You said you'd be comfortable with a US in your first post and I think that's good. But don't do it just b/c of your midwife. Do what you feel is best. But in upping your iron levels find out how much is too much for a singleton. There may be other vitamins and minerals than in larger quantities could be problematic.

Enjoy your pregnancy.
#66 of 84 Old 01-10-2008, 06:21 PM

so ... twins or no? are you gonna find out?
#67 of 84 Old 01-10-2008, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightMama4 View Post
so ... twins or no? are you gonna find out?
Have an appt. in a week. We'll see what I measure and what we can hear and feel then.

If my midwife wants an u/s for decision making purposes then we'll probably do one.

-Angela
#68 of 84 Old 01-10-2008, 06:49 PM

Well, I've been stalking you and I saw your post about movement. That, combined with your measurments makes me think that you've got 2 in there! And what the heck, I will even buy into your dh's family history theory.

Blessed mama of four
::
#69 of 84 Old 01-10-2008, 06:51 PM

I want you to have twins just cause I had triplets.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#70 of 84 Old 01-10-2008, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, I've been stalking you and I saw your post about movement. That, combined with your measurments makes me think that you've got 2 in there! And what the heck, I will even buy into your dh's family history theory.
I can't explain the family history (well I have some ideas...)

but I'm wondering.

I'm really okay either way at this point. What will be will be.

-Angela
#71 of 84 Old 01-10-2008, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
I want you to have twins just cause I had triplets.
As long as I don't have triplets! I'm not as young as you are!

-Angela
#72 of 84 Old 01-10-2008, 08:04 PM

I don't have twins and have nothing useful to add but wanted to share this (very condensed) story because I like it.

Dh's great-aunt had her second pregnnacy 50 years ago and told the doctor she was having twins. Doc said he's the doc and says there is only one baby and she's just a woman so she doesn't know anything.

She was back to school shopping for her oldest and felt like she was in labor. Walked home, asked the neighbor to drive her to the hospital. Neighbor lady didn't want to because she said her husband would get upset for taking the car out. Neighbor finally drove Auntie to the hospital.

Aunt said baby's head was out and they still knocked her out (because that's what they did back then). When she woke up several hours later she said the only thing her husband could say was, "Two boys".

She told the doc "I told ya so."

I have no point.
#73 of 84 Old 01-10-2008, 10:57 PM

tsume, that's a great story!

Angela, I'm waiting for your announcement! (I too suspect ID can run in families and that there's still more research needing to be done)

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#74 of 84 Old 01-10-2008, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
tsume, that's a great story!

Angela, I'm waiting for your announcement! (I too suspect ID can run in families and that there's still more research needing to be done)

Appointment next (not this) Saturday. So I'll at least have a new measurement and such to go on.

We shall see.... the movement is making me wonder right now.

I have movement in the lower left quadrant and the upper right quadrant. If it's one, he's bouncing back and forth

-Angela
#75 of 84 Old 01-11-2008, 02:43 AM

I have to say thumbs-up to the EMTs who stayed to give fluids and O2!
I've attended and delivered at both mw-assisted and unassisted homebirths that have taken an unexpected turn. I think you can expect -- in most jurisdictions -- that if you call 911 in a medical emergency where children are involved (especially multiple infants!), you might have to have a plan for if the EMTs call CPS and/or the cops to enforce transport. Most EMTs freak out at the thought of homebirths, being that we end up assisting at spontaneous ones where the parents wanted an institutional birth or even CS. As well, in my region, I would be disciplined, if not stripped of my license, if I violated my protocol, which demands that I transport if certain risk factors are present.
I don't want to be alarmist ... on the contrary, I'm just suggesting that all families birthing at home would do well to have a good solid plan (in writing) and an articulate advocate on hand or available who is not directly involved in the birthing process (... other AP folk? Sister-in-law?)
And part of that plan would hopefully include your own, self-identified signals that it's time for transport.

That all said, blessings on you all for your homebirth choice! If I attended, I'd put on my pom-poms and be your cheerleader! Rah-rah, sisboombah, gooOOOoo mamas!

I wanted to chime in since I'm an EMT and DH is a paramedic. If EMS is called to the scene of your birth, regardless of who called, you have the absolute right (as long as you are conscious and coherent) to refuse treatment, transport, or both. In the above-mentioned scenario of receiving fluids and oxygen, they did allow for treatment but refused the transport part. Our trip reports have places to be signed and witnessed for these situations.

In our area, we would call the medical control doc and give report. Treatment such as O2 and fluids can be given per standing orders protocol prior to contacting medical control in most cases. The doc may ask to be put on speaker and speak directly to the parents concerning the situation, but the decision about treatment and transport ultimately is in the hands of the mother and father. DH and I both cannot recall any EMS personnel calling CPS ever in our experience for something like this (he's got 15 yrs full-time and I've volunteered for almost 20 yrs now).

One common situation where we treat but do not transport involves hypoglycemia. We arrive and the patient is very incoherent or unconscious, and we follow protocols to immediately administer glucose. The patient generally comes around very quickly and then feels fine and does not want to go to the hospital. Of course we try to convince them to go and the doc on medical control tries to convince them as well, but many of those patients simply "sign off" and we leave after providing the treatment.

Both DH and I have been called to homebirth and UC very rarely over the years, but we were always called for good reason and the parents wanted us there, so no problems at all. DH just was called to a homebirth last month, but only because baby was a 35 weeker and needed transport.

Hope that helps!
#76 of 84 Old 01-11-2008, 03:01 AM

Q for the EMTs: How do you make sure you get someone with actual medical skills/supplies @ the scene instead of just someone who drives, and the other person who fills out the paper work?

I'm not sure how it is other places, but here in Houston, people in an ambulance do NOT necessarily have medical skills to put in IVs etc. So, AFAIK, you may end up with a fire truck in front of your house.

Other things to consider Angela might be:

Having a ped as well as an doc for you already lined up in case of transport. Doc for you would be more of an internist type person, not an ob.

Finding out what kind of nursery is available near you and whether or not they accept out of hospital birth transports. Not all NICUs will take babies that are born out of the hospital. What is more, you might get to one place and have a baby/ies life-flighted to another WITHOUT you. It would be important to consider NOT just what is close, but where different levels of care available, and where exactly they will put the babies.

The Elizabeth Noble book is fairly good. It might have more ideas of questions.

Depending upon how you feel about blood transfusions, another thing to consider is banking blood for your self and your babies ahead of time. You and your husband both doing it.

Starting to read through information about NICUs etc to understand more of what goes on in those settings and what exactly you would and wouldn't want that would or wouldn't be offered. How to get banked milk for instance. How to get human milk fortifier if necessary. How to get a hospital-grade breastpump, lactaid, those sorts of things at a moment's notice.

You may realize in an emergency/emergent situation you will have special needs that other people might not have ... special wants, and those things are easier to arrange for ahead of time.

I hope everything goes well for you and that all of the thinking/planning is just a mental exercise.
#77 of 84 Old 01-11-2008, 07:45 AM

subbing

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#78 of 84 Old 01-11-2008, 10:54 AM

good luck mama and let us know asap ok LOL twins are hard, but worth it i mean, hard as in nothing can prepare you for the extreme sleep deprivation kind of hard. but WORTH IT Mine are so much fun now and its just awesome and incredible and all that now lol

Gotta add, your dhs family history really doesnt come into play here. he determiens gender, YOU determine how many. ID twins are just a freak of nature (lol said with lots of love ) no genetics involved there. Frat twins are genetic from mama's side. OR can just happen because you drop more than 1 egg. I have NO family history and have spontaneous frat b/g twins.

Anyhoo - good luck and let us know! twins rock!! and Kathryn im ROFLMAO, you had trips so she deserves quads right
#79 of 84 Old 01-11-2008, 10:56 AM

ohh adding.. theres a cool trip mama at MD and she has ID boys and a frat girl as her 3pack! Its so wild, she has every kind of multiple!
#80 of 84 Old 01-11-2008, 11:44 AM

And I don't want to sound all gloom and doom. I just wanted to add some things to think of/plan for. I would definitely have twins at home.
#81 of 84 Old 01-11-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightMama4 View Post

Gotta add, your dhs family history really doesnt come into play here. he determiens gender, YOU determine how many. ID twins are just a freak of nature (lol said with lots of love ) no genetics involved there. Frat twins are genetic from mama's side. OR can just happen because you drop more than 1 egg. I have NO family history and have spontaneous frat b/g twins.
While this generally seems to be the case -- or at least what has been proven at this time -- there are cases of identical twins running in some families that indicate there *might* be some kind of genetic component for that as well. Just one that is not as well studied, or defined, or understood yet.

I think there is a dr./professor in NY who does a lot of twin studies (I know I answered some questions from him once) who seemed to be looking into this.

You're right that the known genetic link to twins is for DZ twins to be passed along the mother's family. But there is lots we don't yet know (and oh how I wished I knew it!!!)

Good luck Angela! Keep us posted.
#82 of 84 Old 01-11-2008, 10:39 PM

My MW palpated my twins at 20 weeks. That's how we found out we were having 2.
#83 of 84 Old 01-13-2008, 01:21 AM

I had twins who were "undiagnosed" until 26 weeks; I saw two midwives at 16 weeks (consults), and neither suspected twins. In fact, when the second midwife found my measurements a little ahead, I mentioned my increased appetite and morning sickness and inquired whether there was any chance of twins, and she was quite sure it was NOT.

I think all my suggestions are already taken. Because we knew TTTS was not a possibility, we delayed cord cutting about 5 minutes (something my midwife had not done with twins before; she was surprised at how little blood I lost, since hemorrhage is the most common complication her twin moms have had). IMO, the ultrasounds (2) were worth it for establishing that TTTS wasn't a risk since I wouldn't have been comfortable with delayed cord cutting if it might have endangered a baby. BTW, I didn't push extra iron, but I probably got extra since I was aiming for so much protein (and I like red meat).

I'm also dying to find out whether you're having one or two!

Michelle
#84 of 84 Old 01-13-2008, 11:26 AM

on the twin diet : i followed the Barbara Luke diet suggestions as closely as i could. my twins were born 10 weeks early and were 3 lbs 7 1/4 oz and 3 lbs 8 1/4 oz!! AMAZING sizes for babies born so early I really feel like i owe the high protein diet for having good sized babies They only stayed in the NICU 4 weeks, came home at 34 weeks, 2 days gestation. I really do think it had alot to do with my diet! JMO of course

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page