Clomid + family history = higher chance of twins? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-08-2008, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Ladies,

I've been googling all day, but can't even find a concensus for the % of twin births with clomid, much less if there is a family history of twins + clomid. Can anyone comment?

Both of my grandmothers and my older sister had twins, so hyperovulation runs in my family. I have borderline PCOS and will start clomid next cycle to make my O more frequent. I'm curious if my family history + clomid will lead to a higher % chance for multiples?

Homebirthing mama of 2
#2 of 11 Old 01-08-2008, 05:13 PM

I don't have any hard information, but it seems logical to me that it would increase your chances. I mean, family history alone does, and doesn't Clomid? So it's reasonable that the two combined would increase chances even more, right?

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 11 Old 01-08-2008, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe, but then I was thinking that if I'm needing a fertility drug, that maybe the hyperovulation wouldn't apply to me... but on the other hand, I am O'ing, just really late. I guess time will tell!

Homebirthing mama of 2
#4 of 11 Old 01-08-2008, 05:27 PM

I think it would lead to higher chances. There was some history of twins on my maternal side of twins (my grandmother conceived but lost one of the twins late - 20+ weeks - maybe more further up the line but I don't remember for certain). I conceived twins using Clomid. I wasn't having any problem ovulating at the time though - for some reason Clomid boosted my low progesterone levels which kept me from m/c'ing. I was at the minimum dosage, fwiw.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#5 of 11 Old 01-08-2008, 05:28 PM

There is a family history of twins and trips, and I had been PG with twins before, and not on meds. But with my twins I was taking Clomid at the time....so no telling if it was family history, the meds or both.
#6 of 11 Old 01-08-2008, 09:13 PM

I have heard that the chance of twins with clomid is 5-10%. Our twins are clomid babies, and I was taking the lowest dosage. There isn't really a family history of twins (at least not in my maternal line), but I just knew that I'd have twins taking clomid. I am really sensitive to drugs.

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#7 of 11 Old 01-08-2008, 10:20 PM

My endocronologist told dh and I that my natural chances of having twins were about 4-10% (I was 34 at the time) and that with clomid, the chances of twins was more like 7-12%.

We didn't think it was that much of a greater risk, but I dropped at least 3 eggs, since the pregnancy started as triplets (on the lowest dose of clomid) and two implanted successfully and I ended up with twins. (We didn't reduce, the 3rd just disappeared after a few weeks.)

Later, an aunt told me that both of my maternal great grandmothers were twins . . . so who knows?

Intuitively, I would think that a family history AND clomid would increase your chances.

You might ask your doctor about alternatives to clomid for your dx. A friend of mine IRL is considering taking another drug that supposedly stimulates ovulation, but not hyperovulation (has been used in Europe for some time apparently.) Sorry I don't know the name of it.
#8 of 11 Old 01-10-2008, 04:31 PM

Here's my situation. PCOS (ovulated on my own but a bit late), Took Clomid for 2 cycles, didn't concieve. Conceived twins the cycle after Clomid. Not sure if twins run in my family. My granfather (mother's father) had twin brothers that died at birth (not sure if identical), my great-grandmother (father's grandmother) was a twin (both girls again not sure if identical). My doctor once made a comment about twins being more likely with PCOS when fertility drugs were taken, but not sure if there are any studies supporting this.
#9 of 11 Old 01-10-2008, 04:39 PM

My Dr. said it would raise the chances. My sisters are twins, DH's grandpa was a twin and there are a few extra sets on his side, so we'll see what happens.
#10 of 11 Old 01-10-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
but on the other hand, I am O'ing, just really late. I guess time will tell!
Didn't use clomid, but the ONE time I ever ovulated late.... it was twins (identical though).

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#11 of 11 Old 01-11-2008, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
Didn't use clomid, but the ONE time I ever ovulated late.... it was twins (identical though).
Interesting! I have heard that this can happen, and I have a friend who had a late O and got pregnant w/ twins, but m/c'd at 10w.

Homebirthing mama of 2

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page