Maternity Clothes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 01-18-2008, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HA! It's funny how this twin thing hits you in waves. I just realized that all the maternity stuff I JUST bought from a board I am on is not going to fit in about 6 weeks.

Are there special maternity clothes for twin mamas? What did you all do, just buy a bigger size? I saw those new pants at Motherhood and they look like they'll work very well. Here's the link:

http://www.motherhood.com/Product.as...Category_Id=10
#2 of 28 Old 01-18-2008, 08:23 PM

all the pants i have/like are under the belly.. are there added benefits to full panel?
#3 of 28 Old 01-18-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmama'08 View Post
all the pants i have/like are under the belly.. are there added benefits to full panel?
Underbelly actually has benefits for twin moms. Most full panels are drafted only for the size you get to for one baby. Underbelly doesn't have to deal with the belly size itself, so you don't really "outgrow" them. I tended to rely on longer shirts or panels that looked like layering (similar to the Bella Band) to stay covered with underbelly styles (but I also hate the feeling of elastic across my pregnant belly, so that's another reason I favor underbelly).

Chantel, can you give us more suggestions of what's important to you in Maternity clothes? For example, I found tent type tops to be really helpful in my twin pregnancy (generally styles from a few years ago when maternity clothes tended to be drafted bigger). Keeping my belly covered is more important to me than to some people (avoiding tents is equally important to some!). I don't love tents, but it suited my needs without requiring me to sew my whole twin pregnancy wardrobe.

Michelle
#4 of 28 Old 01-18-2008, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Tents. That's what fit me in the end. The maternity clothes you try on when you are pregnant with a singleton and say "my gosh, this is huge!" That's the stuff you wear when you're pregnant with twins. And I was never that big. I got to 40 cm. Most ladies on here were way bigger.

As far as pants, I just wore things with stretchy waist bands. And the under belly maternity pants. I wore some shirts that did expose some belly, but in the end it seemed like nothing would cover the mound.

As far as I know there are not special twin maternity clothes, but I may be wrong.

Andrea mommy to G(2/97), S : (1/04), E & J (7/07)
#5 of 28 Old 01-18-2008, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

I can't do underbelly pants. This is my 7th pregnancy and baby 5 and 6. I do not have the same abs I once did, and so my belly "hangs" uncomfortably. That panel really helps hold it up, so to speak. The under belly style drive me a little batty!

I like my belly to stay covered, but I don't know that I want a tent either. I like the three shirts I got from Target because the length on them is midthigh. I think those three will take me through the end. The Bella Band is a good idea! That might help the jeans I have now stretch longer.

I bought like 6 or 7 really cute sleeveless shirts from Motherhood (I live in the south and am due end of May) but they are NOT the long in front type. I think I'll be popping out from under WAY before the babies are born.

I'm 28cm now at 20 weeks (well, on Tuesday I was but I've gained significant belly the last 4 days). Is that pretty normal? Babies were BIG at 11 and 13 ounces. If I carry to term they should be the same size as my other children as they are measuring around where the others were. Hannah was my earliest at 37 weeks and was 7.4, my biggest was Noah at 39 weeks and 9 pounds, Izzy was my smallest at 40 weeks 5 days and 8.9.
#6 of 28 Old 01-19-2008, 01:37 AM

Up til half way through month 4, I loved those cute underbelly band pants from the Gap and Old Navy. One day I simply couldn't wear them anymore -- the band felt really uncomfortable, like it was constricting the bottom of my uterus.

So months 4 and 5 I switched to full-panel without any elastic band or constrictions under or on the belly. We like to call these my "Jackie Gleason" pants.

By months 6 and 7, nothing fit anymore. At least not comfortably, and I'm all about comfort. I've taken to rotating three pairs of low-waisted sweat pants, not needing to tie the waist tie at all.

Here's my question: where do you go from size XL low-rise bikini underwear??
#7 of 28 Old 01-19-2008, 02:49 AM

Abs? Ha! I know what you mean about holding you up. Most of my pants have an unstylish higher rise for that purpose Anyway, reading the description of those Motherhood pants, I think they have a better chance than traditional panels of stretching. I just don't know how much stretch they can possibly be drafted for since most people wouldn't want them loose, of course. I think if I were you, I'd try some only if I could try some on in a store to get an idea of how they fit you now. The fact that they don't have elastic should be a plus.

I hated wearing dresses and skirts with my twins (and I had a lot of events I had to attend in them at the time). They just made me feel like an elephant.

Definitely shop for things with a decent Lycra content, but sometimes even that isn't enough. I remember buying a black tank to use as a shell early in my pregnancy, and even buying a size up, it was fitting way too tight before the end. Many Lycra items are designed to form fit enough more that the ease just isn't there for a twin tummy. I love to sew and I've just gotten some pattern drafting software--maybe someday I should start a line of twin pregnancy clothes!

Michelle G.
#8 of 28 Old 01-19-2008, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Maybe you all can appreciate this. I am 6'2" tall and I gained 90 pounds. I was enormous and wore what I could.

I was induced with my twins but it failed, so I came home the hospital. 48 hours at the hospital with no sleep, no food. I was tired, defeated and demoralized. My mother's first comment (she was watching the older kids) was "Why are you wearing such tight clothes. It's not very becoming."

ARRRGGGHHHHHHH

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#9 of 28 Old 01-19-2008, 10:57 AM

I found some XXXL maternity shirts from Old Navy and those fit with room to spare at the end. I also had some super stretchy size L maternity shorts that were just t-shirt material. BUt then, I hardly left the house either! My regular maternity clothes didn't fit after 6mo.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#10 of 28 Old 01-19-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post
My mother's first comment (she was watching the older kids) was "Why are you wearing such tight clothes. It's not very becoming."

ARRRGGGHHHHHHH
Oh my. Did you murder her? Are you posting from prison?

CPST ***I can help keep your child safe in the car. Ask me a car seat question!***
#11 of 28 Old 01-19-2008, 12:26 PM

My problem is I could not find shirts LONG enough to cover my belly. I would be XL maternity shirts and they would just hang off my arms they were so huge, but they still were not long enough. Normal maternity shirts just get wider, not longer. I wish I had found Shade shirts back then because I would have lived in them. They are very long, but run small (tight) so you should size up. http://www.shadeclothing.com/product/Maternity.aspx My Old Navy Jeans fit great, though.

Blessed mama of four
::
#12 of 28 Old 01-19-2008, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

OK, stopped by Motherhood this morning and if anything's going to work, it's those secret belly pants. And can I just shout to heaven how wonderful these "new" maternity shirt lengths are? I found several that are mid thigh length. They should keep the belly covered, at least until the end.

I'm going to go back tomorrow (when I don't have children with me) and try on the pants. I think if I go two sizes up I'll be able to manage. I might buy one Large and one Extra large for later. Those look like they are going to fall off of me right now. It's SUPER stretchy material! The girl and I pulled on either side of the med and got a LOT of room. She said though that she hasn't heard feedback from twin moms but singleton moms are pleased that they have plenty of room even at 40+ weeks. Wonder if I can talk them into doing a 'trial' for twin moms for them!?!?!?
#13 of 28 Old 01-19-2008, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemelos View Post
My problem is I could not find shirts LONG enough to cover my belly. I would be XL maternity shirts and they would just hang off my arms they were so huge, but they still were not long enough. Normal maternity shirts just get wider, not longer. I wish I had found Shade shirts back then because I would have lived in them. They are very long, but run small (tight) so you should size up. http://www.shadeclothing.com/product/Maternity.aspx My Old Navy Jeans fit great, though.
I got these from Target a month or so ago and they are mid thigh length:

http://www.target.com/Liz-Lange-Targ...ank&rh=&page=6

I have three, here's me in the black at 18.5 weeks:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...s/956d6acc.jpg
#14 of 28 Old 01-19-2008, 02:55 PM

if you go to old navy like right NOW, you can get for about $5-$7 clearance empire waisted tent dresses that were not even maternity to begin with. they come in tank (easy to layer) and long sleeve. i am currently 36.5 wks and all my mid thigh shirts now expose a little bit o' belly, and i really hate that. especially because i can't tell and so i'm always checking:

basically all i can wear now are my maternity overalls and two pair of yoga type maternity pants i got from old navy.

how do you guys keep the maternity pants UP, especially the under the belly ones? i have 2 beautiful pairs that i wore for a long time for work, but i always had to wear a BELT with them. and then one day.....the belt was too small
#15 of 28 Old 01-19-2008, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoo View Post
if you go to old navy like right NOW, you can get for about $5-$7 clearance empire waisted tent dresses that were not even maternity to begin with. they come in tank (easy to layer) and long sleeve. i am currently 36.5 wks and all my mid thigh shirts now expose a little bit o' belly, and i really hate that. especially because i can't tell and so i'm always checking:
Do you think a Bella Band might work for that? I'm hoping anyway......my belly is literally growing overnight. It's sort of disconcerting. Good thing we know there are two already or I would be VERY concerned!
#16 of 28 Old 01-19-2008, 04:48 PM

I don't think anything fit me in the last trimester at all! I bought some shirts from Japanese Weekend that were supposedly multiples-specific but it was a joke. My dh just about died laughing when I tried one on and showed him. This is me wearing materinity clothes while in labor (yes, both the shirt & the yoga-style pants were maternity specific).

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#17 of 28 Old 01-19-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantelhayes View Post
Do you think a Bella Band might work for that? I'm hoping anyway......my belly is literally growing overnight. It's sort of disconcerting. Good thing we know there are two already or I would be VERY concerned!
I don't think a Bella Band would work, personally. I think it would just roll down. See my pic in the post above. You'll see what I mean, I think.

#18 of 28 Old 01-19-2008, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+twins View Post
I don't think a Bella Band would work, personally. I think it would just roll down. See my pic in the post above. You'll see what I mean, I think.
I see exactly what you mean, and had to giggle. Am I even going to be able to leave the house! This is an untapped market if I ever saw one, as the incidence of multiples goes up every year with more and more fertility treatment! I need to learn how to sew!
#19 of 28 Old 01-19-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I see exactly what you mean, and had to giggle. Am I even going to be able to leave the house! This is an untapped market if I ever saw one, as the incidence of multiples goes up every year with more and more fertility treatment! I need to learn how to sew!
No, and exactly! I've always adored my body while pg but I have to admit that with the twins the reaction I'd get from passerby's made me dread leaving the house. I felt like I had become a freak show. And about your second comment - you're not the first M.o.M. I've talked to about the need for maternity wear geared towards those enormous bellies!

#20 of 28 Old 01-19-2008, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Can I just say I'm SO glad I lost all the weight I did before getting pregnant again? Now at least I'm not starting out at XL and having to try and find 3XL maternity clothes (which I hear can be quite a challenge). Instead I just need 1X!
#21 of 28 Old 01-19-2008, 10:57 PM

Near the end, when I desperately needed something to wear out one day, I made something vaguely similar to the Bella Band, but I put elastic on the top edge to make sure it stayed up (basically, it held right under my ribcage and hung over my belly, hemmed at the bottom to simulate a T-shirt. However, lots of knit things are made without hems lately, so even that wouldn't be necessary. Mostly, you just need a stretchy knit (something with a little Lycra/Spandex) and one seam to turn it into a tube. If you have any friends who sew (or if you sew just a tiny bit), you could make one that's wide enough for you. I'd also make it longer than a standard Bella Band.

It gave me the coverage I needed to wear a few existing maternity tops outside the house (unfortunately, it was July in Utah, and VERY hot, so it wasn't great for comfort to have anything hugging my skin remotely). But it allowed me to go out when needed without embarrassment.

Michelle
#22 of 28 Old 01-20-2008, 05:03 AM

When I was pg with the twins my mom sent me a "It's TWINS!" shirt. Well, that lasted until 7mo... obviously not really a maternity shirt meant for more than one!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#23 of 28 Old 01-21-2008, 12:20 PM

Liz Lange at Target. I am pregnant with Triplets and the only shirts that cover my belly are shirts from Target. Cheaper than motherhood maternity as well!!!!
#24 of 28 Old 01-21-2008, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristaP516 View Post
Liz Lange at Target. I am pregnant with Triplets and the only shirts that cover my belly are shirts from Target. Cheaper than motherhood maternity as well!!!!
If you need any more they have a bunch 30% off here in Texas!

I got the Awesome Jeans (aka Secret Belly) from Motherhood last night. I went up a size. Even though they are FALLING off my booty most of the day I think they will work very well. I took some photos! Of course.

This is the waistband. It's super soft and comfortable. No tightness or pull on my stomach at all. We put on the "prosthetic belly" at the store and it had plenty of room still to give more. I was frightening looking that big though!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...s/b8fcecca.jpg

And here's me at 21 weeks 2 days:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...s/61d5b27f.jpg
#25 of 28 Old 01-21-2008, 03:53 PM

I'm 18 weeks and already most comfortable in dresses (I'm about as big as I was at 28?ish weeks with my DS). So I'm not sure how you feel about maternity dresses, but there are some really cute ones out there. I feel so pretty in my jumper I got from Motherhood (I wear it with a long sleeved black shirt, I think it's more spring/summer weight and meant to be worn without a shirt?). And it's just so much more comfortable not to have any waistbands around my middle.

I need to find more dresses. Hippie-style dresses, flowy things, I love them!
#26 of 28 Old 01-21-2008, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

I'm liking dresses as long as they are below the knee or longer. I noticed yesterday that the new "style" is to wear leggings and a tunic style dress. I'm going to go that route for Easter!
#27 of 28 Old 01-23-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
I'm 28cm now at 20 weeks (well, on Tuesday I was but I've gained significant belly the last 4 days). Is that pretty normal? Babies were BIG at 11 and 13 ounces.

I have no idea what I'm measuring, but when I had the Level II u/s last week (20 weeks), both babies were measuring 12 oz. The perinatologist told us that was right in the 48th-50th percentile. I got the impression that they were pretty much right on target ... not too big, not too little. Did they tell you something different??

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#28 of 28 Old 01-24-2008, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiannaK View Post
I have no idea what I'm measuring, but when I had the Level II u/s last week (20 weeks), both babies were measuring 12 oz. The perinatologist told us that was right in the 48th-50th percentile. I got the impression that they were pretty much right on target ... not too big, not too little. Did they tell you something different??
No, I was going off the "norms" that are listed for 20 weeks. That makes me feel better that they are normal! Although they sure feel like monster babies right now!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page