infant seats, or convertible seats?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 01-27-2008, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm debating on what type of car seats to buy for the upcoming babies.
I'm torn between buying 2 infant car seats, knowing I'll have to buy the 'big car seats' later. I'm contemplating just going ahead and buying the convertible seats.

Any thoughts??? What did you all do??

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#2 of 26 Old 01-27-2008, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Well, some babies don't fit well into convertible seats at birth, and multiples are more likely to be low birthweight than singletons. Even many "normal birthweight" babies fit better (and therefore safer) in bucket seats in the beginning.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#3 of 26 Old 01-27-2008, 11:32 PM

I'm going with the buckets! I think I'm going to need the extra hands free. I can bring them into the house in them and then have them loaded up and waiting in the house. Get everyone else in the car, then bring the twins out and snap them in and go. MUCH easier than getting the twins in while trying to round up little people and keep them out of the alley behind our house. I also like the idea of being able to set them DOWN if I need to suddenly bolt after Izzy. But my situation is different than other peoples!
#4 of 26 Old 01-28-2008, 12:49 AM

We're getting two infant seats. We figure we'll need to be able to bring them in the house in the carseat easily, or be able to unsnap it from the base and into a snap-and-go or a stroller (the strollers we're getting are compatible with our carseats even though they are different brands). When they outgrow the infant carseat, it'll go to ebay or craigslist and we'll buy convertible car seats.

SAHM to 2 year olds Tesla and Lucius. twins.gif
#5 of 26 Old 01-28-2008, 01:07 AM

We had them and didn't realize how great they were until we had to switch to convertible seats. It's so nice to be able to buckle them up inside and take them out, and to leave the sleeping baby in the car seat and put them in the snap n go, or take them in the house. I think it's a necessary expense.
#6 of 26 Old 01-28-2008, 01:08 AM

I went with the bucket seats. My twins were so tiny (not even 5 lbs) when we brought them home, they probably would've been too small.
#7 of 26 Old 01-28-2008, 01:09 AM

We went straight to the convertibles both to save money and because we honestly didn't go anywhere for MONTHS! When we did go out finally, I would wear one and dh would wear one. It was nice for us because we didn't have to bring a stroller and the babies could be close to us. And most MDC multiples are not low birth weight-in fact many of them are bigger than your average singleton.

Blessed mama of four
::
#8 of 26 Old 01-28-2008, 01:25 AM

I used my infant seats longer and more often with my twins than with either of my singletons. For one thing, it's just awkward strapping and unstrapping the convertible seats while they're facing backward. My twins were the right size for them longer than my boys were. If one of the twins fell asleep, we didn't have to wake her if she was in th

Since our money is always tight, I don't know if I could have justified the cost of them, but friends gave me their used ones (that hadn't ever been in an accident), so it didn't cost any more.
#9 of 26 Old 01-28-2008, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaimom View Post
We had them and didn't realize how great they were until we had to switch to convertible seats. It's so nice to be able to buckle them up inside and take them out, and to leave the sleeping baby in the car seat and put them in the snap n go, or take them in the house. I think it's a necessary expense.
I agree -- and we used them longer than we did with our singleton as our girls (who were 5.7 and 6.2 at birth) were a bit slower to gain and didn't hit 20 pounds until about 16 months or so... and oh, the switch to the big seats was hard to make, esp. when they fell asleep in the car.

I guess it depends on how much driving you think you'll have to do, and if you have other little ones you will need to keep track of... but it was worth every penny for us.
#10 of 26 Old 01-28-2008, 08:38 AM

FWIW I hated the infant seats and couldn't wait to get rid of them. They're so bulky and awkward. Sure they're good for certain things, and probably are pretty important when you've got a mess of kids you're trying to get out the door, but I still hated them. I think it's just as easy to carry the baby out - even if you have to do it one at a time. Just my $0.02
#11 of 26 Old 01-28-2008, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjoe View Post
FWIW I hated the infant seats and couldn't wait to get rid of them. They're so bulky and awkward. Sure they're good for certain things, and probably are pretty important when you've got a mess of kids you're trying to get out the door, but I still hated them. I think it's just as easy to carry the baby out - even if you have to do it one at a time. Just my $0.02
SIGH ... I'm STILL undecided.

I"m 5 foot, and about 110 pounds non-PG. I WILL NOT be lugging the babies around long in the infant seats .. simply because my back can't take it!!

We have not decided what kind of stroller yet ...but I can't see me pushing around some big contraption, either....

When I'm out with DH, I plan for one of us to hold a baby, and run after Rachel. I have NO clue what to do when I'm out alone with the LO's.

The stroller is a whole separate thread ....

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#12 of 26 Old 01-28-2008, 11:02 AM

We'll be using two infant seats. One reason for us is that we have two older dc's and having the babies in their infant seats will be more handy than me trying to buckle up 4 kids in a parking lot. They will also be useful if they clip directly into the double stroller. We also live in an area where winter is well....winter : and it's nice and much safer to get the babies in their carseats inside the house wearing regular clothes (as opposed to snowsuits) putting covers over top and then going out to the cold car.

I used the infant seat with my two older dc's and while I did sometimes think they were a pain and switched them out sooner than I "needed" to I think at this stage with 4 dc's the infant seats will be easier.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#13 of 26 Old 01-28-2008, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We got the infant seats that convert to snap onto a base when they are older. It was the best thing for us as until two weeks ago we lived on the second floor of an apartment building with no elevator. So I would leave the stroller open downstairs tied up, and just take the boys in their car seats and snap them into the stroller. (We don't have a car) It was great for when they fell asleep as well. Where we live, because of regulations, children have to be a year old and 9 kilo before you can have them sit front-ways in a regular car seat, so these will be well-used!

: wife to James, MoM to R babyboy.gif and D babyboy.gif  (Aug 2007) and E babygirl.gif (Nov 2009) and Y babyboy.gif (April 2012)

#14 of 26 Old 01-28-2008, 01:59 PM

Just because the CAN come out of the car, doesns't mean you HAVE to bring them out of the car. Like Ruthla said, most newborns DON'T fit properly in a convertible carseat, no matter what the lower limit says. My normal sized 7&8lb babies didn't fit properly, and SAFELY into a convertible carseat til well past 3-4m. For our last baby, we went with a graco safeseat, which is an infant seat that lasts til 30lb. She's two, and just beginning to outgrow it for height, at 27lb.
#15 of 26 Old 01-28-2008, 03:06 PM

I would go with buckets for the beginning. My twins were small, 4lbs 1oz & 4lbs 10oz at birth, slightly smaller when they came home from the hospital. They fit in the graco seats a full year (this was the older model that only went to 26"). You might not really be spending much more money to get a safe seat. They RF to 30 lbs and pretty tall (for a RF baby) and by the time the babies outgrow those you may be able to put them right into FF harnessed boosters. You could always buy 2 buckets and leave them in the box. If you carry your twins to 41 weeks and have long 9 lb babies just send dh to return them and get the convertables you want. If you need them installed dh can install them after you give birth. Even if you homebirth I assume you aren't going out in the car in the first few hours so he should have time to either install them or bring them to a checkpoint or whatever.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#16 of 26 Old 01-28-2008, 04:19 PM

We went with the infant seats for a number of reasons:
Even my full-term, nearly 8lb dd wouldn't fit properly/safely in a convertible seat for a few months, much less my smaller boys.
We have a true winter here, so the ability to dress/load them in the house with a warm seat, then bundle with blankets (safer than clipping them into the seat w/bulky clothes), was a plus.
As a pp mentioned, you don't HAVE to take the seat out of the car if you don't need or want to--most of the summer I didn't, but later as they tended to fall asleep in their carseats, I would, just to spare a rude akakening! When going into a store with my older dd (not quite 2 at the time of her brothers' birth), I'd wear one baby, keep the other in the bucket seat (putting it into a cart or stroller), and either hold her hand, or put her into the seat part of the cart.
Some of the decision depends on your house/garage/commute/help arrangements, too.

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#17 of 26 Old 01-28-2008, 04:34 PM

I think the buckets are so necessary for twins. I would not have been able to leave the house without them and I went out a lot and mostly by myself. I needed it for my sanity.

Also, if you go somewhere with one baby you can just hold the baby but it is not so easy with two. It becomes very challenging logistically to make it work. With the buckets you can get them all ready to go and strapped in before you leave the house. I would do that and turn them to face each other and they would laugh and coo to each other while I got myself together. Plus getting them in and out of the car. I could carry both at the same time out to the car. Otherwise I would have had to leave a baby in the house or leave one in the car alone. I could wear one out to the car but that in itself is work.

Even if I was visting someone, one could be in their bucket while I nursed the other and then I could switch off. Depending on their age and the person I was visiting, there wasn't always a great place to put the other baby, even if I brought a blanket. And certain people like my MIL are not big baby holders, especially my big not very mellow babies.

Add in the Double Snap n Go stroller and nothing will stop you. I could get a whole food shopping order in the bottom of that thing. I wish food shopping with two was that easy now!

You can check with your local mother of twins group. I know mine is always has someone looking to sell or give away their infant seats.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#18 of 26 Old 01-28-2008, 05:04 PM

We went with the convertibles. DH and I asked for a Britax Boulevard from each of our parents, and they were happy to comply. We had decided early on that we wouldn't be driving the twins around much at first. We live in a small town and can walk anywhere we need to go and would go shopping without infants. DH is really hesitant to buy anything that has such a short span of usefulness.

The twins are our first and only children, and I'm sure that plays into the decision. When alone, I wear one and carry the other to the car, so as not to leave either alone inside. I've carried my nephew in an infant carrier, and really couldn't imagine carrying two babies that way for long.

My ds and dd were 6.12 and 6.2 at birth, and I wish I could attach a photo I have of them in their seats at 3 weeks. They look tiny, but safe!

Nikki, mama to DD and DS1 twins.gif (6/07) and DS2 babyboy.gif (10/10) 
#19 of 26 Old 01-28-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellyn View Post
I used my infant seats longer and more often with my twins than with either of my singletons.
Same here.

I dont know what we would have done if it hadn't been for the infant seats. They sure made things MUCH easier!!!

Mom to, Cassi,, 25 yo daughter, 4 yo twins, Carson & Camryn 3 yo Caitlyn and my wonderful 14 yo neice, Carlie
#20 of 26 Old 01-28-2008, 11:29 PM

FWIW, I didn't find it tons harder (because it was more balanced) to carry two infant seats than one. My babies were very close in weight.
#21 of 26 Old 01-29-2008, 12:38 AM

Buckets, for most of the reasons stated.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#22 of 26 Old 01-29-2008, 09:14 AM

Buckets. I hate big strollers but I'm planning to get a double snap n go b/c with a 3 yo we will have to go out.

Also, they make some of the buckets to a higher weight limit now so they last longer.

Can you borrow some from anyone? OR hit up a twins sale?
#23 of 26 Old 01-29-2008, 04:27 PM

Buckets here, too.

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#24 of 26 Old 01-30-2008, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Well ... guess what!!

I got a call from a woman who goes to my church (whom I've never officially met), and she has twins. Her girls are turning a year old. She wanted to get rid of her 'twin baby stuff', and wanted to give the things to another twin mom. My priest let her know that I was PG with twins, and she called me, with the offer of ...... 2 infant car seats, 4 bases, a double stroller, and who knows what else!!
Woo hoo!

Looks like my decision has been made for me!!

#25 of 26 Old 01-30-2008, 02:23 PM

That's great news!
#26 of 26 Old 01-31-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiannaK View Post
I'm debating on what type of car seats to buy for the upcoming babies.
I'm torn between buying 2 infant car seats, knowing I'll have to buy the 'big car seats' later. I'm contemplating just going ahead and buying the convertible seats.

Any thoughts??? What did you all do??
Hey--I bought the Graco Snugride infant seats (GREAT safety rating), in the Darius pattern..I think they're so damn cute! I like knowing that when the kids are here I can just carry them in their seats inside if asleep, take them wherever without having to get them out of the seats. Plus the bases to the seats (one comes with it) are just $40 on Target.com or Amazon--so my mom is going to get two of 'em. Plus, I'm thinking that since my babies will likely be a bit smaller I'd rather an infant seat. The Graco Snugride is for 5-22lbs. I got them from Babyuniverse.com, with some coupon code and free shipping---it was $200 for two. Not cheap, but I'm not skimping on a carseat! Hope that helps, Sammysue78

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page