Venting about negative reactions to twin pregnancy news - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-21-2008, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So far this pregnancy I have had someone tell me she'd kill herself if she had 2 sets of twins. Someone else said it would be hell on earth. Lots of people say they could never do it or "better you than me!" I'm wearing earplugs whenever I leave my house for the next 6 months.

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleheather79 View Post
So far this pregnancy I have had someone tell me she'd kill herself if she had 2 sets of twins. Someone else said it would be hell on earth. Lots of people say they could never do it or "better you than me!" I'm wearing earplugs whenever I leave my house for the next 6 months.
Oh Heather, that's just horrid.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleheather79 View Post
Ha... I'd be wondering, "What's her secret?"

DoulaSarah - I think the water bill MIGHT be a a little higher... as I figure I will need to wash every 2 days and not every 3 like with my son... but still not as bad as buying disposables. We'll see. I hope diapering 2 isn't too complicated. I wasn't sure how much stuff I would need, I have upped my stash from diapers for 1 to diapers for 1 1/2 - had originally planned to double the stash and then realized there's not point, all that won't fit in the washer anyway!

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
Old 02-21-2008, 11:47 PM

When MIL found out it was twins and saw the ultrasound she said,
"That will change."
Meaning one will die.
I almost slugged her.
When DD's Dev therapist found out she shook her head and said, "Oh I am soooo sorry.
I'm sorry you are dealing with such crappy reactions....
Now I just hear, "I don't know how you do it", "Double Trouble" and "You sure got your hands full," where ever I go..lol
Old 02-21-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_in_Maine View Post
When DD's Dev therapist found out she shook her head and said, "Oh I am soooo sorry.
Can you elaborate on this?? WHY was she sorry?

One of the lines we were fed to urge us to reduce was "A lot of triplets have developmental and social problems that aren't obvious until they're in school." I was just left feeling like even if we all survived the pregnancy we might STILL be in for problems and there is fell, back to me - "You can prevent this by reducing..."

But I look back and i think it was a lie.

Do you know if your therapist actually have a lot of clients who were multiples with some sort of developmental problems? I don't think it will actually make me feel much better but I am just curious.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
Old 02-22-2008, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_in_Maine View Post
When MIL found out it was twins and saw the ultrasound she said,
"That will change."
Meaning one will die.
I almost slugged her.
I'm sorry you are dealing with such crappy reactions....
Now I just hear, "I don't know how you do it", "Double Trouble" and "You sure got your hands full," where ever I go..lol
good heavens .....
My MIL felt it necessary to tell me, at Christmas, the story of some cousin of DHs that had twins and lost one during a homebirth. I told her ...."there is absolutely no reason to tell me things like that. I'm not interested in hearing about it", and walked off. People are nuts.

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

Old 02-23-2008, 04:33 PM

Wee I dont have twins and am not expecting twins, however I have 3 under 3 years old my youngest 2 are 10.5 mos apart and I am constantly getting unsolicited comments , "you've got your hands full" or "i'm sorry for you" or my favorite was made by a jogger when I was out for a walk with my babies " you have enough of those things" (the beautiful part about this comment was my 3 year old very loudly announcing that that man with the skinny legs was RUDE)
Children are such a precious gift it saddens me to see how many people see this gift as a curse to be endured instead of something to be enjoyed.
Congratulations on your double blessing twins are such an amazing thing that so few people get the privilege of experiencing, the special bond between the babies is something special that no one but twins or parents of twins can even begin to understand. Of course it will be hard raising one child is hard, but anything worth anything has to be hard so we appreciate it, child birth is hard and painful but if it were like clipping fingernails it wouldn't be so special,anything worth having or doing is hard it makes you appreciate it more having to work for it.
You will be fine mama, you may not know how you will do it for now but you will do it, you will wake up every day and you will get through, and the next day wont be as hard.

Some of my favorite responses
"you've got your hands full"
" yeah but not as full as my heart"

"im sorry" "for what being so rude?" " your sorry, i just wasted 30 seconds talking to you"

People say things to me all the time that we should be done having children but we are certainly not I hope that I too can have twins someday and if not than I will still have more babies they are great even when they are screaming and pooping and pulling out my hair. Enjoy every minute with your babes it is your last.

Also I have been a tandem nursing mama now for 15 months at one point I was nursing all 3 of my children at the same time it is hard but not undoable
Get pleanty of rest and find some great support and you will do great remember the first 4 months are the hardest and they fly by.
loving wife to harmony and mommy to joey 1/14/05, kai 11/01/06 and beautiful baby girl Alexis 8/25/07:::::fly by2::

User Tag List