Multiple sets of Multiples, Hyper Ovulation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-30-2008, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been diagnosed with hyper ovulation (another thread posted in fertility) and I was wondering if anyone else has this diagnosis? I am having trouble finding information on it (can't get in touch with the OB who originally diagnosed, way retired) and I figured anyone who has it would be lurking here!!

Any info is really appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-30-2008, 03:08 PM

I don't know anything specifically about hyper ovulation but ever since I found out I was having twins I have been fascinated with the fact that I randomly popped out two eggs. I never used any fertility treatments, had none of the factors like race, age, location, etc. etc. and I conceived on my first try. I was charting at the time and I look back and try to figure out what was going on? Was it a hormonal fluke after coming off BC (11 months earlier)? Or is this what my body does? I am really looking forward to conceiving again (once my fertility returns) and can't wait to see how many eggs I let go next time. I'd be interested to learn more about your diagnosis, what does it mean exactly?

SAHM to my surprise bigeyes.gif twins M&W (7/06) twins.gif and my vbac.gif darling W (1/09) hearts.gif Expecting another little bean this summer pos.gif
#3 of 6 Old 01-31-2008, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

From what my first OB told me, it is a hormonal condition (not NECESSARILY genetic) where your ovulate at LEAST twice per cycle. You may have some variation, no O one cycle, three or four eggs another. Hyper Ovulation is what causes non-fertility treatment septuplets, or anything above triplets with one set of identical twins. 0-2 eggs per cycle is normal, more is considered hyper ovulation.

But I can't find ANY info about IUDs and hyper ovulation, or even anything more than a basic definition. Anyone?
#4 of 6 Old 01-31-2008, 06:54 AM

How was this diagnosed?

And if this hyper-ovulation is a condition that results in spontaneous higher order multiples, then we're talking about something that happens once in a blue moon, right? Not six eggs per cycle for years and years until bam! sextuplets...

Something just sounds a bit fuzzy to me about this.

OK I just did a quick google and basically it's a fancy name for that tendency some women have to ovulate more than one egg per cycle. According to my quick google here, anything over ONE egg per cycle is considered hyperovulation.

I ask about how this was diagnosed because if the OB is waaaay retired, I wonder if there might be more updated methods of checking on whatever issue was troubling you...
#5 of 6 Old 01-31-2008, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Well, kind of. My new OB couldn't tell me anything, and the OB that dxsed me is only three years retired. I'm a young'un.

Also, the way it was described to me (or that I was diagnosed) is that I actually have an ovulatory cycle that is hormonally off; based on charting/cm and body temp, I actually have an ovulatory cycle more than once per period cycle. So, I've been a maniac for the past 5 days, and I have ovulated at least three eggs. (Cramping both ovaries, then cramping one side.)

I guess there is no info that details IUDs and hyper-ovulation, but thank you for responding!

Fertility Acceptance (and ditching the IUD) seems to be the only way to know for sure that I am not artificially ridding my body of implanted embryos.
#6 of 6 Old 02-01-2008, 05:37 AM

Ouchie! Gentle hugs going your way!

Have you looked at the latest edition of Taking Charge of Your Fertility, by Toni Weschler (maybe misspelled)? I wonder if she discusses this at all... my issues were around infertility so I wouldn't have paid much attention to a section on ovulating more than once per cycle, but that doesn't mean Toni hasn't covered it...

All the best and hot pad vibes too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page