Two sets of twins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 02-13-2008, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know I've seen at least one mama on here who has two sets of twins. I'm looking for a little advice and encouragement. I just found out that I'm expecting twins again. To say I'm freaking out would be an understatement.

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
#2 of 24 Old 02-13-2008, 01:32 PM

Haven't BTDT but just wanted to say WOW and congratulations and, well, at least you know what to expect... but WOW. WOW. How far along are you? Do you have family/friends nearby who can help?

I do think that a lot of the difficulty of twins is the learning curve part -- I would like to think if I found myself in the same situation, at least I would have the confidence that I have been through it before... birthing two, nursing two, etc. Kind of like how the actual baby part (baths and nursing and dipes and colds and runny noses) of having a second baby is SO much easier than the baby part of your first.

Big hugs to you mama. If you live anywhere near southern Alberta, let me know and I'd love to help however I could. (oh -- just saw your post and see you live NOWHERE near southern Alberta... I will send good vibes your way!)
#3 of 24 Old 02-13-2008, 02:00 PM

Well, I do live nearby! Is there anything you need? Please feel free to call on me if there's anything I can do-- I'm just an hour away.

Also, I'll definitely be keeping you in my prayers regarding healthy pregnancy and birth.

CONGRATS!!

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#4 of 24 Old 02-13-2008, 02:46 PM

I sent you an email, but I'll say it again...Congrats! I know it must be hard to think about, but I know you will do/are doing a great job with a large family!

Christen
#5 of 24 Old 02-13-2008, 02:48 PM

OMG! Congratulations! I can't imagine having any more kids at this point in my own life, but I do think that if I were up for more, twins would be easier the second time around. You already know a lot of the pitfalls and "tricks" to help yourself out. I know there are others here who have managed it, so I am sure you will do great.

ETA - are your girls MZ or DZ? Your birth story says "placenta" and they look a lot alike in that pic, so I am wondering. If they are MZ, I wonder what this set is going to be?!

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#6 of 24 Old 02-13-2008, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I'm 9w1d right now, due in September. My closest family is over 600 miles away. I wish my mom could retire and move down here! And yes, my girls are MZ but we aren't sure about this set. The OB is pretty sure they are in separate amniotic sacs but could not visualize the chorions.

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
#7 of 24 Old 02-13-2008, 06:18 PM

Oh wow Heather! You're going to be in my boat with 6 who are six and under. I have no idea how we're going to survive it!

First of all CONGRATULATIONS! I knew you'd been suspecting it from your posts on your blog. So exciting and terrifying at the same time!

I obviously have no idea how I'm going to manage so many little people, but I'm sure it can be done. I met a Mama today who had two sets of twins and her oldest is 5, her little ones are 7 months. Her other set of twins are 2.5. I should have gotten her number......
#8 of 24 Old 02-13-2008, 07:35 PM

No advice, mine are just 6 weeks old, but CONGRATULATIONS!!!
#9 of 24 Old 02-13-2008, 08:15 PM

I'm the one with two sets of twins. And it's totally doable. What other choice do you have? How old are your other children? And do you have just the twins or others? I agree with the other post that it's definitely easier the second time around because you already know what you're doing. That period of trying to figure out how to adjust everything with twins is non-existant, which makes life MUCH easier.

Congratulations! You will survive this! And you'll look back and wonder what you were even worried about.

Mama to Hannah & Hailey 1/5/02 C.J. 2/18/03 Anthony & Jamie 3/23/05 Chuck 10/9/08 42-week Sam 8/9/10 Mae 4/22/12
#10 of 24 Old 02-13-2008, 08:30 PM

Wow. Wow. (I'm totally in shock, so I can't imagine how you feel!)

I agree with everyone -- the hardest part with twins is the learning curve. You already know the *fun* that is having newborn twins. You'll be fine.

Wow!

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#11 of 24 Old 02-13-2008, 08:36 PM

im not a twin mama i just saw this on the active threads on the front page but just wanted to pop in and say 1) wow 2)congrats and 3) hire a postpartum doula. your gonna need all the help you can get.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#12 of 24 Old 02-13-2008, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_sets_of_twins View Post
I'm the one with two sets of twins. And it's totally doable. What other choice do you have? How old are your other children? And do you have just the twins or others? I agree with the other post that it's definitely easier the second time around because you already know what you're doing. That period of trying to figure out how to adjust everything with twins is non-existant, which makes life MUCH easier.

Congratulations! You will survive this! And you'll look back and wonder what you were even worried about.
Thanks! So it really is easier the second time? I really thought it wasn't bad the first time... and then my girls started walking. That was it for me! It's been chaos ever since!

When the twins arrive my oldest will be 5, second will be 4, and my twin daughters will be 2. My girls are still nursing so it's quite possible that I will be nursing 4 babies. Is that even possible?

#13 of 24 Old 02-13-2008, 10:24 PM

: X 2!!!

Congratulations!!!

I'm nursing 3 and could easily be nursing another toddler, so I"d think you could do 4!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#14 of 24 Old 02-15-2008, 12:52 PM

Congratulations!

I wouldn't nurse twins while pg with twins, myself. Just way too draining. If you decide to nurse them all, then you will need to be really careful about nutrition! And WATER! But as long as you pay close attention to yourself, and your kids, I think you could do it.

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#15 of 24 Old 02-15-2008, 05:00 PM

I just wanted to say congratulations again! And good luck.

I have no advice for you, but I definitely understand how you are feeling as we haven't yet found out how many we're expecting.
#16 of 24 Old 02-16-2008, 01:16 AM

Congrats mama! From one GA twin mama to another! I am sure you can do it! BTW, please get the Peri ther in Augusta to confirm chorionicity sooner rather than later - just so you know if you'll need monitoring for TTTS. I'm still pg with mine (34 weeks now) but know more than one GA twin mama who was mis diagnosed or mishandled regading TTTS and chorionicity and it can make ALL the difference as I'm sure you know. I can't wait to see your next twin HBAC video!!!
#17 of 24 Old 02-17-2008, 10:38 AM

Congratulations Heather and wow. I'm sure you can do it, you have tons of experience that's gotta be useful, right?
#18 of 24 Old 02-17-2008, 03:09 PM

Congratulations.

I have 5 year old twins and my second set will be 1 year next week. I'm glad the first year is over because I thought with the first set that was the hardest part (so far). I really enjoy having two sets. The thing that has gotten horrible at our house is the laundry and the cleaning, but with you already having four, I imagine that has already gone to pot. Oh, yeah, and my computer time has almost become non-existant. I hardly post anymore! It's going to be great and I bet you are going to enjoy this set of twin infants even more than you did the first set. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, or anything.
#19 of 24 Old 02-20-2008, 02:01 AM

congratulations and big hugs!
#20 of 24 Old 02-20-2008, 10:43 PM

Heather congrats~ I must admit I am a touch jealous. There was the moment of sadness when we learned there weren't two in there this time. I hope you have a wonderfully smooth pg!
#21 of 24 Old 02-22-2008, 11:15 PM

Hi Heather!! I got to 'know' you a bit today -- I saw your youtube movie. You rock!! I think you can totally handle another set of twins - you seem to be a very strong woman!

Congratulations! I love my twins - I really do..... but I do NOT want another set!! I'll be following your pregnancy and living vicariously (from afar).
#22 of 24 Old 02-23-2008, 01:04 PM

hi heather...congratulations!! and thank you for sharing your story...its so encouraging to see how the Lord has provided for you and your family...and to know He will do no less with these 2 babies. enjoy all your blessings!

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
#23 of 24 Old 02-23-2008, 01:17 PM

Just watched your youtube video. You are amazing, and you have a beautiful family. I wish you all the best!
#24 of 24 Old 02-24-2008, 11:04 AM

I also have two sets of twins - although mine are MUCH older than yours! But it is so much easier the second time around!! Hang in there and just take it one day (sometimes one hour) at a time!!! And cherish every minute because they grow up very fast!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page