Do I need to know mono/di, etc --update post #11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-19-2008, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright mommas ... give me some help here!!

When I became PG, I promised my DH that we would not find out the gender in this PG. I wanted to back track when I found out we were having twins, but so far, I've held out, in spite of loads of U/S.

Anyway .... this is what I know about the babies.

They share a placenta, and are in separate sacs. I've seen other posts, not necessarily here, talk about mono/mono, di/di, etc. Do I really need to know that?? No one has mentioned to me if the babies share a chorion (not even sure if I'm right on that!). I DID ask the peri during my Level II U/S if I needed to be concerned about TTS, and she thought I was trying to decipher if the babies were the same sex or not. I truly don't care .... but I see this discussed a lot, and I'm wondering if it makes a big difference or not.

Any thoughts????

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 02-19-2008, 02:51 AM

If they share a placenta, then they are mono/di, meaning one placenta, 2 sacs. Because of the shared placenta, you are at a higher risk for TTTS and they should definitely monitor that closely. It would concern me if your Peri didn't know what you were asking, since that's a pretty big factor in a twin pregnancy.

The good news is that if you are mono/di, you can be assured your twins are identical, if you were curious about it

There's a great site I can give you, but I'm unsure about linking out here, so please PM me if you have any questions

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS!
#3 of 13 Old 02-19-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Moon View Post
If they share a placenta, then they are mono/di, meaning one placenta, 2 sacs. Because of the shared placenta, you are at a higher risk for TTTS and they should definitely monitor that closely. It would concern me if your Peri didn't know what you were asking, since that's a pretty big factor in a twin pregnancy.
:

My boys are TTTS survivors.

There's always a risk with mono/di twins that they will develop TTTS. I would confront your doc about it, and if she won't answer it or doesn't know what you're talking about, I'd find a new doc.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#4 of 13 Old 02-19-2008, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

I was a bit hazy on my explanation ....
When I asked the peri if I needed to worry about TTTS, her response was, "now, I can't tell you that, since you don't want to know the sex." This lady is well trained, and I'm not at all concerned that she doesn't know what she is doing. I'm not seeing her on a regular basis, just saw her for my Level II.

Am I to assume that they are fraternal, and no worries, or should I be stomping my feet, demanding to know if they are at risk or not?? I seriously do NOT want to know what gender they are, since I've made it this far without peeking.

There was a slight weight discreprancy at the Level II, and they were 8 oz apart at my growth scan last week. (24 weeks, one was 1 lb 1 oz, the other was 1 lb, 9 oz)From what I've read, this is normal. Our U/S tech told me they looked wonderful, and no worries.

I'm just trying to figure out if I'm worrying myself over nothing ... make sense??

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#5 of 13 Old 02-19-2008, 11:54 AM

They're identical if they share a placenta. Some ID twins split early enough to form 2 seperate placentas, but when there is only one (unless its 2 that are fused) then they're identical.

The gender has NOTHING to do with TTTS. That is so weird to me.

When they check for TTTS, they compare the amount of fluid between the 2 sacs, in addition to the growth. 8oz isn't much of a discrepancy, especially since u/s are subjective in that realm.

Don't worry, but definitely educate yourself
#6 of 13 Old 02-19-2008, 11:56 AM

I guess my question would be if they were sure about the one-placenta-two-sac part (mono-di). If they are, they should be monitoring more closely... I think the size difference that raised a flag with my OB was 20 percent difference to be concerned, 25 percent different to likely be a problem. Does that sound right?

I would definitely ask more questions. It is rare but real possibility with mono-di twin pregnancies.

Good luck, mama!
#7 of 13 Old 02-19-2008, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

they are definitely 1 placenta, two sacs ... I've even been able to see the two sac deals myself, which is cool, when they are kicking/punching at each other, and you can see that they are close, but not touching. There's a line between them ... looks like a thread, or snake!

I was a bit concerned about the weight discreprancy with this last u/s, since they were both the same weight at the Level II. I'm not sure what the flag is, as far as differences in weight .....

#8 of 13 Old 02-19-2008, 01:53 PM

My understanding is that the question can be whether the "one placenta" is two that fused together or one that was shared by both twins all along (because the egg split after the chorionic sac had begun to form, so there's only one chorion & placenta.) In the overwhelming majority of those cases, the egg splits BEFORE the amniotic sac begins forming, so each twin makes/gets its own sac and there's that membrane between them.

We had our first ultrasound right around 14 weeks (I wasn't sure of dates and the doc sent us to have the u/s to determine whether I was too late for the ultrascreen test, since we were going to have to drive almost 3 hours to get it if we wanted it.) We got more than we bargained for, because in addition to dating the pregnancy, they discovered the twin pregnancy then. At that point, they could not discern a membrane between the twins, so they sent me on to the bigger hospital to get a higher level ultrasound and a consult with the perinatologists there.

So, I had that second ultrasound within 3 days of learning about the twins. I was 14 weeks along, according to their estimates based on crown-rump measurements, etc.

They again saw one placenta and the second ultrasound revealed a membrane between them. So they were able to say that they were MZ/identical twins, and mono/di. The perinatologist said that it's possible it was a fused placenta, but that there were very clean edges and none of the characteristics they'd normally see in that situation, so he was comfortable saying that we were going to be expecting identical twins. He did say with an earlier ultrasound (maybe 6-7 weeks? I don't remember) they actually can count the layers of the membranes and determine with more authority what is going on with the placenta(s), but our twins' placenta showed every sign of being a single placenta from the beginning.

He did mention the increase of risks and defects....not an increase in risk for chromosomal issues, but other things. And he mentioned the issue of TTTS (babies were measuring one day apart at that point and I don't think he felt the need to raise any concerns, but he mentioned it as a matter of fact with mono/di twin gestations) and explained what they recommend in terms of increased monitoring a bit later in the pregnancy, to watch closely for any warning signs.

I'm not sure what the doctor was talking about with you. Maybe you got the wrong acronym, accidentally? Did you ask about Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome, specifically, or did you reference an acronym?

Maybe your peri was wanting to "protect" you from knowing whether you are expecting identical twins, thinking that you don't want to narrow down the gender even that much? (You'd know it is two boys or two girls, at that point.)

I'd say you could explain that you understand that you are carrying identical twins, that you don't wish to know their gender, but that you are wondering about what measures are in place for watching for/monitoring their TTTS risk. If they have reason to believe that the single placenta was two that grew together, they could put your mind to rest on that issue, and I'd guess that you'd be expecting either identical twins who are di/di (with a fused placenta) or fraternal twins, who always are di/di (with a fused placenta.)

I am new to the twin thing, but this is my understanding. And my guess at what the perinatologist was MAYBE talking about. Unless it was the ultrasound tech you were talking to, maybe, rather than an actual peri? Dunno!
#9 of 13 Old 02-19-2008, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We also had two sacs, one placenta. There was a membrane between them and we could also see them interacting with each other. The doc at delivery was convinced they were identical after examining the placenta for about 10 minutes. I had a c-section at 36.5 weeks because Raphi was not growing and Danny was (don't know if it was tts) that they discovered in the 35th week. They are NOT identical on ANY level. Even their blood types are different. So you never can tell - but definitely keep an eye on the weight thing. As we found out, even fraternal twins can have tts. Don't worry, just make yourself knowledgeable. That's my 2 cents

: wife to James, MoM to R babyboy.gif and D babyboy.gif  (Aug 2007) and E babygirl.gif (Nov 2009) and Y babyboy.gif (April 2012)

#10 of 13 Old 02-19-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
As we found out, even fraternal twins can have tts.
You are misinformed, DZ (fraternal) twins cannot have TTTS. Here's another link about it.

Quote:
Maybe your peri was wanting to "protect" you from knowing whether you are expecting identical twins, thinking that you don't want to narrow down the gender even that much? (You'd know it is two boys or two girls, at that point.)

I'd say you could explain that you understand that you are carrying identical twins, that you don't wish to know their gender, but that you are wondering about what measures are in place for watching for/monitoring their TTTS risk. If they have reason to believe that the single placenta was two that grew together, they could put your mind to rest on that issue, and I'd guess that you'd be expecting either identical twins who are di/di (with a fused placenta) or fraternal twins, who always are di/di (with a fused placenta.)
:

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#11 of 13 Old 02-26-2008, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Went to the OB today, and saw another OB in the practice. She has now gained the esteemed position of 'I'd be OK if she was on call when I go into labor"!!
She told me how wonderful I looked (don't you LOVE hearing that when you are PG!) ... I'm measuring at 33 weeks now! She asked me how I was doing, wrote me a scrip for a PreNatal Cradle. She asked me if I was having troubel with being constipated (!!!), and told me that now was the time to start thinking about what kind of birth I'd like to have. (Like I haven't thought about that since 14 weeks!)
I'm going back in 2 weeks, to see the OB, as well as to get another growth scan. She told me that our twins are at a 'slight' risk for TTTS ... which means, they are mono/di. Right now, they look great.

Now .. here's the NEXT question for you gals ....
Mono/di twins are identical .... right??

#12 of 13 Old 02-26-2008, 04:07 PM

Yes, they're identical if they share anything besides you. So any set sharing a placenta or amnion or chorion would be MZ. Congrats.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#13 of 13 Old 02-26-2008, 04:24 PM

Congratulations!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page