wearing twins, what works and what doesn't? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-23-2008, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having twins! I wore my ds all day and am hoping to do the same with my new love bugs but not sure how. Could any one tell me what worked and what didn't? Also any pics would be great!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2008, 12:23 PM

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
Old 02-23-2008, 07:09 PM

well, what really works the best is for me to wear one and my husband wear the other one! but that's not always an option.

When they were newborns I would tuck both of them into the front of a stretchy wrap (Gypsy Mama was and is my favorite stretchy wrap). This worked until they were about 5-6 weeks old, and then they just got too big and started to protest. Here's a pic, although they were getting a bit too big at this point.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...118AZMmjRi4ct7

What has worked really well since they were about 3 mos old is to wear one on the front in a wrap, and the other on my back in a Beco Butterfly.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...108AZMmjRi4ct7

(Gawd I look dreadful in these photos! I guess the lack of grooming is part of being a new twin mom.)

I've also tried the pouch/ ring sling combo, but it just didn't feel comfy or secure to me (no pics, sorry!). Both of my babies hated the cradle position, though, so I might try the double sling again when they're sitting unsupported. My husband called this the "Rambo Mom" look.

Hope that helps!
Old 02-23-2008, 08:38 PM

Beco on the back and moby on the front..... or other carrier.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/186/4...376f9de1ea.jpg

And just for shiggles - here is my hideously ugly twin baby wearing poncho that my aunt made:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/151/4...fa7d281d85.jpg
Old 02-23-2008, 10:46 PM

May I threadjack? I had been planning to get two kozy carriers - is this a good or bad idea? Any reason I might want, say, an ecco or becco for the back and a kozy for the front instead?

Meanwhile I have a moby I planned to use when they were tiny - though I am thinking I may get a sleepy, too, just to compare - and two baby bjorns which I know make the crunchie gasp in horror but the bjorn was a lifesaver with my son and I thought it'd be good for DH and I when we are together. I also have two kelty pathfinders which are nice for hiking.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
Old 02-23-2008, 11:25 PM

Runnerduck, hijack-away.......

Here's the deal - imo, the Beco is awesome for just quickly getting a kid who can hold his or her head onto your back quickly. I love mei tais too, but the ties take longer. The moby works well for a front hold WITH the Beco because you can tie the moby onto yourself prior to strapping the Beco on. Then you can just 'pop' a baby in front into the moby after you put the other baby on back. You have to take into account 'popability'.

I also have used Kelty type packs. My twins hated the Beco from age one until about now, which is age 1.5..... it's weird. They would buck furiously in that thing. So we used a frame backpack during that time, as needed. They do also have an evil double stroller and the LOVE it b/c (i think) it's not overused.

I NEVER put both babies in my Moby. It just never worked out. I did't have twins who seemed to be giddy being next to one another 24-7.

Good luck - you will find a combo that works for you. I do not think that Bjorns can go on the back.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:58 PM

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
Old 02-24-2008, 12:14 AM

Nope, the bjorn can't go on the back which is why i said that will only work when DH and I are together.

Has anyone used both a moby wrap and a sleepy wrap, to say how they compare?

nak DS S 4/1/11
Old 02-25-2008, 02:50 AM

Okay, just another hijack, if that's ok I had never heard of the beco, but am now really interested. I had an ergo for a short while with my DD, but I have rounded shoulders and it didn't stay on very well. I don't know if I'll find a store in my area to try one on. Can anyone comment on the shoulder thing? The ergo always was slipping off of me, and I never felt that comfortable with how much of the baby hung out of it. (And I think she was at least one when I got it).
Old 02-25-2008, 03:49 AM

mamaeliz
I've never tried the ergo, but I do have trouble with the beco slipping off one shoulder when wearing it as a front pack. The sternum strap that I can adjust when wearing DC on my back is too hard for me to reach when carrying DC in front (i.e. push up past my shoulder blades).

Both babies fit inside nicely, DS is on the bigger side and DD is petite. I have been wearing the beco since the twins were 5 months.

Hope that helps

Nikki, mama to DD and DS1 twins.gif (6/07) and DS2 babyboy.gif (10/10) 
Old 02-25-2008, 01:50 PM

i liked two babies in the moby when they were tiny. a thin wrap and a meitai. two mei tais. a rebozo was nice (less fabric) for one of the carriers. onbus are great for back carries as well with only two straps. one-shouldered carries never worked, too uncomfortable.
but when my twins were a few months old , i liked two buckle carriers (front and back). i would definitely suggest at least one buckle carrier. it is so easy to just clip that second baby on your back no matter what the first baby is in
so i guess what i'm saying is to use what you like/are used to and just get a quick and easy "second" carrier for your back, like a beco, angelpack, connecta (ie, something with a sleeping hood).

on the beco topic... most people just unclip and then cross the shoulder straps for front carries, = no slippage. if you are in a rush, just push that sternum strap way up high onto the padded part (before you put baby in) and clip it behind your neck.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:59 PM

:
I never got the hang of wraps, so, early on I often used two pouch slings, criss-crossed. Then, when they were a few months old and one could go on the back, I'd use a MT on the back and whatever else I had on the front (usually a pouch). Around 6 mos old I found the Beco/SSC love and haven't looked back. Two Becos was/is my favorite combo, though I can safely say that now that mine are around 25lbs each and walking well, they haven't been worn together in MONTHS, lol!
I usually have one on my back, then carry the other to wherever our destination (with a cart!) is. My boys always wanted up-down-up-down-up-down....so the SSC was the least-fuss option. ymmv.

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
Old 02-25-2008, 02:37 PM

I used two pouches by Maya. At first both on front but as they grew I put one on front and one on back. That way my hands were free to hold the hands of my other toddlers. Now I was used to and comfortable with a pouch on my back so I only recommend that if you are comfortable with it and know your baby.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:18 PM

Easy-on, easy-off was very important for me--"pop-ability". I used a mei tai all the time with DD1 but it was just too futzy with the twins. I know many babywearers here hate baby bjorns but that worked best for us. When they were very tiny I could fit them both in a stretchy pouch but that was only for a few weeks. Then I was able to manipulate my bjorns so I could wear them both at the same time--one over my right breast, one over the left. When they were able to hold their heads up, I would put one on my back in a small framed backpack--very easy on--and have one in the bjorn facing out. They were happy like this b/c they could see so much. Trouble is when you're wearing two, it's really hard to do anything else. I could help DD1 do some things but I couldn't do any housework or cook.
Good luck!
Jill
Old 03-03-2008, 05:21 PM

I love using 2 MTs now that my twins are older. My favorites are my Babyhawks. This is what I usually do: http://itstwinsanity.blogspot.com/20...bywearing.html

When my twins were little I stuck them both in a wrap ring sling (ring sling with 2 tails that you can use like a wrap) and that was great.

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
Old 03-03-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcolorado View Post
:
I never got the hang of wraps, so, early on I often used two pouch slings, criss-crossed. Then, when they were a few months old and one could go on the back, I'd use a MT on the back and whatever else I had on the front (usually a pouch). Around 6 mos old I found the Beco/SSC love and haven't looked back. Two Becos was/is my favorite combo, though I can safely say that now that mine are around 25lbs each and walking well, they haven't been worn together in MONTHS, lol!
I usually have one on my back, then carry the other to wherever our destination (with a cart!) is. My boys always wanted up-down-up-down-up-down....so the SSC was the least-fuss option. ymmv.
So you can wear two becos at once?

I just ordered a 4th gen and a butterfly - couldn't decide between the 2 but found a place that had one of each in the coveted carnival pattern - I feel like I will wish I had 2 4th gens instead but oh well we will see! Will I rue the day I bought the butterfly since it can't be used for hip carry? But I didn't know you could wear two SSC at once ... well that's not true I have seen a pic of someone with two ergos but... isn't that uncomfortable to have all that bulk around the waist??

My husband is going to be a little irked, LOL. This will bring my carrier stash up to 2 bjorns, 2 keltys, 1 moby, 2 MTs, 2 becos, and the babies aren't even here. I will have to promise not to buy any more...

nak DS S 4/1/11
Old 03-03-2008, 09:31 PM

two buckle carriers is the ticket here, front and back.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:40 PM

Hmmmmm... for some reason I didn't think 2 buckle carriers would be comfortble. WOnder if I should cancel my order for the Kozy Carriers... or if I should just keep them, try them, count on them having a high resale value.

nak DS S 4/1/11
Old 03-03-2008, 10:27 PM

i have owned one of everything, sometimes two! i swear by the buckle carriers for quick and easy carrying of two. i still wrap, mei tai... but mostly it is my beco, connecta, angelpack. (not as newborns so much though)
Old 03-07-2008, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickybird View Post
well, what really works the best is for me to wear one and my husband wear the other one! but that's not always an option.

When they were newborns I would tuck both of them into the front of a stretchy wrap (Gypsy Mama was and is my favorite stretchy wrap). This worked until they were about 5-6 weeks old, and then they just got too big and started to protest. Here's a pic, although they were getting a bit too big at this point.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...118AZMmjRi4ct7

What has worked really well since they were about 3 mos old is to wear one on the front in a wrap, and the other on my back in a Beco Butterfly.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...108AZMmjRi4ct7

(Gawd I look dreadful in these photos! I guess the lack of grooming is part of being a new twin mom.)

I've also tried the pouch/ ring sling combo, but it just didn't feel comfy or secure to me (no pics, sorry!). Both of my babies hated the cradle position, though, so I might try the double sling again when they're sitting unsupported. My husband called this the "Rambo Mom" look.

Hope that helps!
Oh wow that really helps your twins are big and you are all beautiful! xoxo
Old 03-07-2008, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaeliz View Post
Okay, just another hijack, if that's ok I had never heard of the beco, but am now really interested. I had an ergo for a short while with my DD, but I have rounded shoulders and it didn't stay on very well. I don't know if I'll find a store in my area to try one on. Can anyone comment on the shoulder thing? The ergo always was slipping off of me, and I never felt that comfortable with how much of the baby hung out of it. (And I think she was at least one when I got it).
My husband uses the ergo but I can't because it slips off my shoulders too, I use a mei tie, baby hawk. but there is no "baby popping" i have to untie it to get my 1 year old out, and he didn't like it until he was 6 mo. he loved the sling.

xoxo
Old 03-07-2008, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxymum View Post
i liked two babies in the moby when they were tiny. a thin wrap and a meitai. two mei tais. a rebozo was nice (less fabric) for one of the carriers. onbus are great for back carries as well with only two straps. one-shouldered carries never worked, too uncomfortable.
but when my twins were a few months old , i liked two buckle carriers (front and back). i would definitely suggest at least one buckle carrier. it is so easy to just clip that second baby on your back no matter what the first baby is in
so i guess what i'm saying is to use what you like/are used to and just get a quick and easy "second" carrier for your back, like a beco, angelpack, connecta (ie, something with a sleeping hood).

on the beco topic... most people just unclip and then cross the shoulder straps for front carries, = no slippage. if you are in a rush, just push that sternum strap way up high onto the padded part (before you put baby in) and clip it behind your neck.
Why with a sleeping hood? Is there any baby popping with babies on backs? Can you get baby on back by yourself or is help needed?

xoxo
Old 03-07-2008, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Old 03-07-2008, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

can ibuy a beco online?
Old 03-07-2008, 12:02 PM

that carrier would not work for me, i would never want two babies on my front. having one front one back feels very balanced.

yes, i can get them on my back by myself. a little practice with a mirror or a chair or some help and you will get it. i clip on the waist belt, just toss them up there or swing them around the side, flip the carrier up over them and go. you get used to it very quickly and yes, it consider it "poppable". it is a great place for one baby while the other nurses and then i switch 'em.

the sleeping hood is a must around here. once they go on my back they fall asleep it seems and the hood keeps their head from flopping. i personally wouldn't even bother with a hoodless carrier.

you can buy used becos on the FSOT board at thebabywearer.com great way to get one gently used to see if you even like them
Old 03-10-2008, 12:46 AM

The Beco can be purchased online - I like SoBeBabies.com.

There are lots of ways to get baby safely onto your back. The Beco has very detailed instructions included when you order it. I also met people at thebabywearer.com who helped me learn faster and better ways to babywear.

One of my friends even made a 'how to' video on how she gets her DD onto her back in the Beco. I use it all of the time. The babies think it's hilarious and both shoot their arms in the air to be put in the beco whenever I get it out. I don't wear both anymore. Poor things.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post
So you can wear two becos at once?

I just ordered a 4th gen and a butterfly - couldn't decide between the 2 but found a place that had one of each in the coveted carnival pattern - I feel like I will wish I had 2 4th gens instead but oh well we will see! Will I rue the day I bought the butterfly since it can't be used for hip carry? But I didn't know you could wear two SSC at once ... well that's not true I have seen a pic of someone with two ergos but... isn't that uncomfortable to have all that bulk around the waist??

My husband is going to be a little irked, LOL. This will bring my carrier stash up to 2 bjorns, 2 keltys, 1 moby, 2 MTs, 2 becos, and the babies aren't even here. I will have to promise not to buy any more...
Sorry, just getting back to this now...but, yes, you can wear two at once. I have two 4th gen and find it pretty comfy (well, as comfy as wearing two kids at once can get!)--since the weight is distributed well on your hips. Now, to keep them from fighting with one another while being worn is another matter altogether!
Here are two pics: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...ummer07017.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...o/IMG_2513.jpg

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :

User Tag List