Induction vs. Natural labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-28-2008, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I've been down with the flu for a while now, and have seen all the posts popping up, and although I wanted to respond, I was too sick!!
But I wanted to throw in my two cents about being induced, as I know that this sounds imminent for Leslie (I can hardly believe you're there
For my daughter, Isabella, I was induced because I had ruptured membranes and no signs of labor after a few days. I had planned a homebirth, and ended up in the hospital. I was really afraid of how hard it would be with pitocin, but I have to tell you, now I'm afraid of how hard "natural" labor will be w/o it! I know this sounds wacky, but I guess it's what I know. The nite before Bella was born, my cervix was not effaced or dilated a smidge. So, they applied miso (not sure if that's the right spelling). That was 9pm. They reapplied at midnite, and by 2 am, I was awake and having contractions that weren't bad, but couldn't be slept through. At about 11am, we decided to start some slow pitocin, but I begged to sit in their "hot tub", which was a bathtub, and they gave me 20 minutes. Unfortunately, once hooked up to pit, I don't think they'll let you off the fetal heart monitor, but maybe you could start with a tub before the pit. It was very helpful. So the pit is started at about noon, and thankfully my friend is there. (my DH too, but he was just sympathetic) I was scared, as the contractions started fast and furious. I thought, "no way can I go through this for hours". But my friend just totally cheered and said "this is what we want!!!! this is going to bring you your baby!" She wouldn't give up her encouraging tack, and I think this is where a doula is critical. I settled into the contractions, and basically sat on the edge of the bed rocking a lot. Did you know that belly dancing was actually a way to teach women what to do in labor? That's the kind of circling/rocking that I did. It really helped. Also, although I didn't take a hypnobirthing course, my friend had loaned me her "trance" cd, and it really helped change the dynamic of the hospital room. At about 1:45pm, I was ready for something "to take the edge off the pain" as the nurses put it. I had been putting off my actual doula coming to the hospital, as we all thought this could take a LONG time. I called her then, and she said to ask to get in the shower before I took anything. I asked the nurse, who I'm sure was exasperated with me, as I kept telling her to not turn up the pit, that it was working just fine, and she called the doc to check me before they would unhook me.
Here's the coolest part: The resident comes in and checks my dilation, I'm rather miserable and writhing, and she takes a while, but looks suprised, and tells me that I'm dilated to 10 plus, and the baby is in the birth canal, and it's time to push!!! YEA!!!! Up until about the last 1/2 hr, I had just sat on my bed, rocking, not saying much, and breathing in out through my nose. I guess no one could believe that I would be ready to go in 2 hours, and as calm as I was.
So the crazy part is that I'm actually unsure if my body will need days to labor naturally, or what. I dislike pitocin for a number of reasons, but I wanted to tell you a "good" pitocin story. There is so much more to be said, as oxytocin is only mimicked by pitocin, and there is a new argument that when the body doesn't release it naturally, the mother doesn't get the "protective" quality over her baby, and bonding is more challenging. For myself, I would say that I turned over my baby to the hospital and listened to their advice to not come see her again until the next day, as she needed to sleep. It creeps me out that I let that happen!!! As far as bonding goes, my daughter made sure we were stuck like glue together and well bonded (to this day!!!). Just something to be aware of, in case you lose any sense of urgency of being with your baby, have someone advocate for you. I was flying on all sorts of natural endorphins and encaphalins, and they are pretty intense. Thank God they wore off, and about 3 am, I ran to the NICU and held my baby.
Second, know that Fetal Heart Monitors are really not good indicators of when babies are in distress. They were introduced to help curb cerebral palsy, but the CP rates have only increased since their being used. My perinatologist thinks it's a shame that it's protocol now, but said they are useful in preventing intrauterine death. It has increased the C-section rate extraordinarily, and my advice would be to try whatever you can to avoid an epidural, as an epidural can stall labor, which means more pitocin, which usually freaks the baby out (or so the FHM says), and a C-section ensues. However, I know that Chantel said she would definitely epi if she had pit, and I have to say, I think that woman is a birthing rock star, so I know it can be very different for a lot of people. Just wanted to give some encouragement to you.
Sending all my best thoughts and wishes your way!!!!!
By the way, is the cerclage out???? If it's not, wouldn't having it out and moving around a lot maybe start labor by itself for you????
My best to you!
Also, to the wonderful posts about twin preg and birth choices-- thanks so much to all who responded. I really needed a pep talk, as I've been sick with the flu for days now, (as well as my daughter and husband), and I was feeling seriously like if I had to birth anytime soon, just beat me over the head, knock me unconscious and take care of those babies for me. Even though I still feel miserable, it took me out of that place. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-28-2008, 07:54 PM

mamaeliz, what a wonderful post!! Thank you for sharing your story. I really appreciate it.

These twins are my first, so the entire experience is one big unknown. I've read a ton, talked to lots of friends/family and really do like & trust my docs. My goal is a healthy vag birth, and I'm leaving the pain med options open.

We removed the cerclage last Friday, at 35 weeks. I lost part of my plug right away on Saturday, but haven't noticed much difference since then. I'm not doing self-checks. Still getting LOTS of BH cx, but no cx that are painful or that I can't breathe/talk through.

I do know Baby A is really low. When s/he gets hiccups, it's like I have hiccups in my butt. Its funny and reassuring at the same time. And the babies just keep getting bigger - it's like everything that goes in my mouth goes right to them, and I'm just left sleepy and low-energy. Ah, so it goes.

Tomorrow I have an u/s and cervix check, so we'll have a better idea of where we're at. I don't feel like I'm about to go into labor, but I'm not entirely sure we'll make it to next Wednesday (planned induction date), either!!
#3 of 4 Old 02-29-2008, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to clarify a bit, as sometimes I go off on my dislikes of the medical world. I very much believe that pain relief can be an excellent option at times, and at times, sooooo appropriate. I still have the flu, but while I was vomiting, I seriously considered going to the hospital for Zofran to take away the nauseau. I just couldn't get out of bed to get there Trust me, I am open to pain relief myself if it seemed appropriate, and I have no judgements about others using it. I have judgements about when people don't know what they are getting into, because they have been told "it's all good", and then having the medication really change the course they were set for. When I was 26, I had cancer, and I still remember having horrible stomach pain which they gave me meds for. I was sooooo grateful. Later I learned that the meds were only going to keep the pain up, as I was just constipated. I still would have taken the meds at the time, as fear really changes pain, but I wish I had known from the get go what all the "cocktails" they were giving me in treatment consisted of (like pain meds and anti-depressants). But life is a big dress rehearsal, isn't it?
Also, so glad you like and trust your docs. That's soooo important. It's going to great!
I hope you train your DH on how to post here so that we can hear all about your birth before you all get too busy. How exciting!!!
#4 of 4 Old 02-29-2008, 11:03 AM

Just wanted to add that although once pit was started for me, I was able to labor in water -- they had telemetry units for the EFMs which apparently could get wet.

I had a low dose, carefully and gently increased by my MW and it really was VERY bearable.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page