Twin gear - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-03-2008, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As I am beginning to prepare our nest for two more little ones, I have so many questions about what I really need two of and what we can do without. Ds is only 19 months, so I have a lot of baby gear from him.
I guess what I am wondering is, do I really need two bouncy seats? Two swings? Two play mats?
What items could you not live without when your twins were babies, and what items did you find that you didn't use as much or at all?
TIA

sarah, mama to e & j 8/08, and big brother 8/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 03-03-2008, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I hate baby gear and was minimalist. We used 2 bouncy seats a lot in the beginning. Two swings also. But we borrowed the extra seat and swing. No play mat. Twin breastfeeding pillow was a must as was a double stroller. That's about it for double stuff.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#3 of 12 Old 03-03-2008, 11:40 AM

I have no personal experience yet as we're expecting our twins in July but we are keeping thing to a minimum. Specifically for twins we will have a double stroller, two bouncy chairs, a EZ2 nurse pillow and a new backpack suitable to use as a diaper bag. We plan on cosleeping and we already have clothes for a boy and a girl so that should work out OK. We will be borrowing a swing and may end up borrowing or buying another one if it's something we need. We also have two infant carseats. Oh yah, and we also need a minivan .

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#4 of 12 Old 03-03-2008, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama to one View Post
Oh yah, and we also need a minivan .
Me too!! And a bigger house!

sarah, mama to e & j 8/08, and big brother 8/06
#5 of 12 Old 03-03-2008, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
^^^ We're now a family of 6 living in 800 sq ft! :

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#6 of 12 Old 03-03-2008, 01:58 PM

minimalist here, too.
baby carriers, double jogger, double bike trailer
the rest was just single stuff and barely ever used, at that. less is more!
#7 of 12 Old 03-03-2008, 03:05 PM

I'm curious, too. With my first child, we had a bouncy seat. We also had a pack n play with a bassinet insert (full-length kind) because we were planning on co-sleeping but I wanted to have something on hand just in case our baby didn't go for it, or it didn't work for us for some reason. I didn't want to buy a crib, especially if we weren't likely to use it, so I got the Pack 'N Play.

It saw very little use, but the bouncy seat (which was really a vibrating rocker that converted to a toddler rocking chair, later) did see a lot of use.

I had a ring sling (I used it when we were out, when I took her to the grocery store, etc.) and an infant car seat, and a jogging stroller. I think that was it.

So, I've been wondering....do I want to have a swing? (We can borrow one, I'm pretty sure.) Do infant swings still wind up and then run down (like they did when I was a teenager babysitting)? Is one swing "enough" for twins? (I guess I'm wondering if it's something you use interchangeably with a bouncy seat, when you need to put one baby down. If it's clutch for times when you only can hold one baby, or if it's more of a "baby isn't happy being carried/bounced/rocked/nursed and parents need sanity and he's happy in the swing" kind of thing, or what.)

And does it make sense to plan to have a bouncy seat (or seats???) in different rooms, or on different levels of the house? Does that help the function? (Rather than trying to tote a seat/seats from room to room.)

It is hard for me to imagine what we need because I'm not sure exactly what we'd be using the gear for, or how we'd be employing it.

And when do you use a double stroller? (I guess I'm trying to decide if I really need one. When would I use a stroller? I've been wondering about things like eventually going to the grocery store with two babies, but you don't use strollers then. Or do you?) Is it impractical to assume you'll wear twins when you're out? (I usually wore my daughter, and we used an umbrella stroller when she was older, for some types of outings. Like a trip to DC and long outdoor outings.) I definitely can see a double stroller in our future, certainly further down the road. Is it something we are likely to need sooner, as well? I guess I'm feeling a little mixed up.
#8 of 12 Old 03-03-2008, 03:57 PM

* Lots of cloth diapers
* 2 really good pouches (or whatever carrier floats your boat) - one for each baby (I'd get them to sleep in the carrier then slip it off over my head and let them stay sleeping in it, then pop the next carrier/baby on and repeat)
* 2 Amby beds (I LOVED these and they definitely helped)
* 2 sleep positioners
* LOTS of good swaddling blankets (I had Miracle Blankets - probably 6 to 10 and I was washing them ALL the time so lots is a good thing)
* 2 infant carseats plus the Double Snap-n-Go stroller (it helped)
* Good double stroller (we have the MBUD and I could NOT do w/o it. To the pp - I do use it in the grocery store - I just pull the cart along behind me if I'm getting more than a small handheld basket's worth of stuff. Sometimes I have one of my older dc help push)
* Car that fits everyone

I did get swings but they were just okay (and to the pp, swings run on batteries these days). I think I used them for maybe 3-4 months tops. I probably could have just stuck with my Amby beds but I was panicky at the thought of dh returning to work. I never dragged my bouncy chair out of the attic so I guess that wasn't necessary. I think that's about it for my major *needs*.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#9 of 12 Old 03-04-2008, 07:08 AM

Before the twins were born, I read a recommendation NOT to go out and buy doubles of most things, but if someone wanted to give you one, keep it in its box until you know you need to use it (that way you can return it if you don't end up using it). Borrowing is another great option.

I used my swings more with my twins than my singletons (one was borrowed). I liked my bouncer seats too (one liked the music and vibration on the one seat)--someone gave me a secondhand seat for my second. I love my double stroller (AmyC, I used my double stroller for outings like the zoo and the mall, plus both my girls love riding in it). I enjoyed the exersaucers, but in retrospect, we didn't use them very long (however, I really liked the second one given to us since it can fold down for storage and such and it had nicer toys than the first).

I had a Pack and Play already, and my twins still share the same crib at 19 months (I'd planned to use the Pack and Play as an extra crib if necessary). When we took a trip last summer, they could still share the same Pack and Play.
#10 of 12 Old 03-04-2008, 09:55 AM

I only had a bouncer and a cosleeper with DD as well. Our apt was too small. But I've picked up a few things just to make it easier (and to avoid having to run out later and get everything at full price). I just got pretty much everything I thought I might need for $125 on craigslist from another twin mom (2 bouncers, a really nice swing, pack-n-play, exersaucer) save for a double stroller. Money well spent and if I don't use it I'll just resell or gift it. We have a big basement I can throw anything I'm not using in to get it out of the way.
#11 of 12 Old 03-04-2008, 10:58 AM

Several baby carriers (to make sure you find at least 2 that work for you). Two car seats and a car to hold everyone. Double stroller. Other than that I didn't have any doubles. We had one bouncy seat (which none of my 3 children ever liked, BTW), borrowed one swing, one Johnny jump up & one saucer thing later on (3/4 mos+). I did have 2 pack n plays since I already had them and they came in handy for us but certainly not something I would run out and buy. And I got my double stroller off Freecycle and my double jog stroller from a friend.
#12 of 12 Old 03-04-2008, 12:44 PM

We had 2 swings, a double snap n go, 2 of the rockers (for feeding when they got bigger), 2 bumbos, and 2 different play mats that I would rotate for both of them to play on.

The exersaucers, we had 2 of those, but they really didn't use them much except to pull up on.

It seems like a lot, but it was all rotated in and out of the living room as they got older. They did share a papasan swing when they were super tiny, but that was mostly for photos ara

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page