Belly sling - do they work? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-03-2008, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am almost 22 weeks along with twins and already noticing a lot of lower backache, especially by the end of the day and getting out of bed in the middle of the night. I have gained about 25lbs and it is all belly. I never really had any backache with my previous two singleton pregnancies. I have heard about and then saw a "belly sling" today at a store. It costs about $40 (Cdn $). They also had one that was an entire bra/belly thing that was more like $80.

Has anyone purchased one before? Did it work well?

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-03-2008, 03:53 PM

Well, July's a long ways a way, so in your case I would seriously consider it. I got the prenatal cradle at drugstore.com for 35.00.
It did help, but was uncomfortable after a few hours. It's essentially a lot of strong elastic tugging at you.
My chiropractor was the key to me getting through my pregnancy fairly comfortably (a relative term with multiples). Things got out of alignment and I always hurt until I saw him about 5 times total.
He was great after the birth too when I noticed I was walking like a duck. He put my hip back the way it was supposed to be in 1 visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama to one View Post
I am almost 22 weeks along with twins and already noticing a lot of lower backache, especially by the end of the day and getting out of bed in the middle of the night. I have gained about 25lbs and it is all belly. I never really had any backache with my previous two singleton pregnancies. I have heard about and then saw a "belly sling" today at a store. It costs about $40 (Cdn $). They also had one that was an entire bra/belly thing that was more like $80.

Has anyone purchased one before? Did it work well?
#3 of 6 Old 03-03-2008, 03:54 PM

Oh, I just remembered I would wear a snug tshirt underneath to keep the elastic from making me itch. That might be harder in the warmer months.
#4 of 6 Old 03-03-2008, 06:41 PM

I'm considering a Belly Bra soon, and I too am a fan of the chiropractic. I'm still pretty darn comfy, considering that a week ago I was 36 cm and I've popped significantly since then. I am seeing her weekly for my hip issues.
#5 of 6 Old 03-04-2008, 01:59 PM

I thought I would need one by now, but I have learned a lot about the body changes in a twin pregnancy. Things happen so fast (growth), that there are times early on that you think "how will I make it if it's already like this???" One huge thing that is happening is that your body is releasing the hormone relaxin in high quantities in order to help your body with it's rapid changes. Great stuff, but it makes for bony misalignment. Have you ever been to a chiropractor? It can be intimidating at first, but for myself it is essential. I was going once a month (yoga in between to keep things where they needed to be), and have decided now at 30 weeks to start going every 2 weeks. It is well worth the money to get the education about your body and the relief. There are some "added benefits" you can get from chiros as well. My chiro does craniosacral work and it's so gentle and effective, I bring my 3 year old for it at least once a year. Also, there is the "Webster technique" that is known for its' effectiveness in getting the babes to go head down, as the pelvis is more open for them to do that.
The longer you can wait to get the sling (or use it), the better. You want to keep muscle tone, or that can be challenging post partum. However, if you have to be very physical for a job, that might be a good choice. I'd try to find a chiro and talk with them about it. If you have a MW, they probably have good ideas. Even if you don't, I'm sure a MW would be open to a referral call about one.
I am happy to answer any other questions about this (as far as my scope of knowledge goes), as I am a massage therapist and have a lot of good to say about massage, chiropractic and acupuncture during pregnancy.
#6 of 6 Old 03-04-2008, 04:26 PM

My MW told me to go get one ASAP-- and I am soooo glad I did! Otherwise I find myself in the evenings, clasping my hands underneath my belly to help hold it up. This belt does it for me! My MW said it is the ligaments (sp?) that are strained and there is no way to strengthen them so this belt supports them and relieves a lot of the back strain/pain and lower belly achiness.

http://www.motherhood.com/Product.as...1&website_id=1

I bought mine at my local BabiesRUs for $15-- well worth every penny imo.

It is also very helpful when I go walking (just basically anytime the belly needs some support).

My MW also mentioned she had a mom who pulled a ligament (that supported her belly) and she was in bed for days while it healed b/c there isn't much you can do about it.

DS-10, DS-8, DS-5 and B/G twins- born 5/08 all lovingly born

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page