stretch marks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-05-2008, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
when did you start seeing them with your twin pregnancy?
how many?
I already have 6 that i know of on my belly at 25.2 weeks.. i can't really see my lower abdomen so i could have more
I'm pretty okay with having them.. I already have tons from puberty elsewhere. I'm just wondering what to expect
although i do realize every body is different and it's going to vary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2008, 05:17 PM

32 1/2 weeks and I don't have any... I didn 't get any with my son, either. I think maybe I just don't get them... supposedly it's genetic. I don't know - I have them other places in my body (arms, legs) but I don't get them on my belly!

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
Old 03-05-2008, 09:43 PM

I think that stretch marks are hereditary. Not totally sure, but I don't have any, and didn't get any with my singleton. One thing I've noticed on some belly pics of twin moms further along is the transparency of the skin showing the veins more. I have "shrink" marks from having been heavier at different life times, and then losing weight. But I have plenty of other story telling marks on my body, including a giant keloid that makes any neckline challenging. It sounds like you have a great attitude towards them. Some people swear by belly butters, or the like, but I think either you get them or you don't.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaeliz View Post
Some people swear by belly butters
OK I first read this as "Some people swear by belly buttons" and I thought HUH? As opposed to, eh, belly buttons, I can take 'em or leave 'em...

I do fear for my belly button. With my son it went flat but never popped. This time... total pop. It went back to near-normal with my son ... but this time... eek. I fear I'm going to have one of those hideous stretched out marvels. Oh well. What do I care. It's not like I'm hoping to go bouncing down the beach in Maui in a string bikini. I don't even like the beach...

I tried using belly butters for a while this pregnancy but felt like all they did was make my belly sticky, my shirt stick to my belly... annoying when my skin was already itchy/tender/weird feeling. I had to get up in the middle of the night one night to wash my belly! Couldn't take my sweatshirt sticking any more.

I don't think they do much besides smell good and feel pampering... glad I got the $8 Burt's Bee's stuff and not some $60 snake oil potion, though.

As for veins... oh yeah do I have veins. My husband and I were just notcing last night how it's weird, I don't have a linea nigra this time... but MAN am I veiny. I have a linea blue smurf instead!!!

nak DS S 4/1/11
Old 03-05-2008, 10:16 PM

I got no stretch marks with my first pregnancy. I started getting them with my twins at around 34 weeks and they kept getting worse until the end (40 weeks). They start below the hairline and go up 3 inches past my belly button. I can post a picture for you if you want.

29 weeks-so pretty!

34 weeks

40 weeks!

Blessed mama of four
::
Old 03-06-2008, 04:06 AM

I started seeing them around 32 weeks, but only on my sides, above my hip bones. I still have the marks, but they've migrated toward my back, so I don't actually see them unless I use a mirror. I don't have any on my stomach, just wrinkly twin skin that starts at about my bikini line. Like PP said, my belly button will never be the same, glad I stopped wearing the navel ring years ago!

I didn't try any anti-stretch mark creams, as everything I used for itching tended to make me itch worse. It's funny thinking about it now, it seems like a lifetime ago.

Nikki, mama to DD and DS1 twins.gif (6/07) and DS2 babyboy.gif (10/10) 
Old 03-06-2008, 03:49 PM

I didn't get any with my first (a singleton), but did get a number with the twins. Alas. I've heard the creams don't do any good -- although I certainly did try. Time seems to help, though... * Jaime
Old 03-06-2008, 04:35 PM

During my pg, I was rubbing evening primrose oil on one of my hips, for some eczema. It turned out that I didn't get any stretch marks on that side, but tons on the other side. My MW afterward said she had read a study about EPO preventing/reducing stretch marks. Worth a shot, maybe, if you're concerned about them.

Unfortunately for me, I already had a bundle of them from my first pg anyway.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:55 PM

I would have to agree with mamaeliz. I think they're hereditary. MY skin seems to be so easily affected. My weight fluctuates quite a bit so I had some from before but my belly had ridiculous stretchmarks. there aren't any near my naval. It's like a circle around my belly to be honest. lol I think if you're going to get them there is not way to really prevent them 100%. What you can do it start the healing early by keeping yourself well hydrated and using alot of vitamin E. good luck!
Old 03-07-2008, 01:53 PM

I got them at 7.5 mos. w/ my singleton...the marks all came during (I believe) a growth spurt...DS was born 10 lbs. 2 oz., so there was quite a bit of growing going on in there. My mother hasn't got any, so I would say it's not always that heredity determines whether you get them. I think anything w/ cocoa butter helps minimize them.

Here's my favorite recipe for belly cream.

1/2 C coconut oil
1/4 C cocoa butter
1/4 C almond extract
1/4 tsp. vit E oil
5 drops lavender oil
5 drops vanilla extract

You melt the 1st four ingredients, then when it's soft, mix in the last two and pull it off the heat. Cool a bit then store in a glass jar.

Momma to one small person I call Smoodgie :joy.gif
Old 03-07-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommydancer View Post
My mother hasn't got any, so I would say it's not always that heredity determines whether you get them.
Well you have 2 parents... and you can inherit things from them that they carry but don't show, right?

At any rate supposedly stretch marks aren't about stretching per say... it's more like hormonal craziness causing the inner tissues of your skin to break down... which often happens during times of growth and so we attribute the marks to growth alone but there is more to it. It's not just the growth but your hormonal make up and how your skin responds. The damage is generally thought to be too deep below the surface for creams and such to do much good. It won't HURT to use any of them... but I think it comes down mostly to luck and the body you were given. Which is why ads for stretch mark potions (bio oil, etc) in pregnancy magazines really annoy me...

nak DS S 4/1/11

User Tag List