how many moms of twins had heavy bleeding after birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 03-09-2008, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hemorrhaged pretty bad after the birth of my twins. I have read that having twins really ups your chances of hemorrhaging bc there are 2 placental sites, plus uterus is usually really overstretched. Just wondering how common it really is with twins. We still want another child or two in the future, but I am kind of freaked out by this last hemorrhage (after having 3 REALLY easy deliveries and recoveries).
#2 of 19 Old 03-09-2008, 06:14 PM

I had one big gush of blood when they were transferring me from the tub to my bed and got a shot of pit as a precaution. But no hemorraging or heavy bleeding besides that first initital gush. Hemmorage is very common with twins and I don't think it necessarily means you will hemmorage again with your next baby. Eating some of the placenta is helpful if you are worried about it next time. That is what I plan on doing.

Blessed mama of four
::
#3 of 19 Old 03-09-2008, 09:40 PM

I had a LOT of bleeding after, but most of that was because I had some clots that were keeping the cervix/uterus from closing down. After my midwife went in and manually removed them (OW!) it got MUCH better almost instantly.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#4 of 19 Old 03-10-2008, 12:32 AM

My midwife told me (beforehand) that their biggest complication with twin births in her practice is hemorrhage. Some have required hospital transfer, so she asks if bringing Pitocin along for hemorrhage is okay with patients (and recommends it). Based on that, I told her that was fine with me.

However, I'd read a birth story online that recommended delaying cord clamping for several minutes with each twin, and it suggested that it could possibly help control hemorrhaging. I decided to try it (not recommended if there's any suspicion of TTT as delaying clamping could then harm the second twin).

My midwife was amazed at how little bleeding I had, even less than many single births she's handled. I know every birth and person is different, so I don't know if the delayed clamping accounted for it or not. Just my two cents.
#5 of 19 Old 03-10-2008, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
My midwife told me (beforehand) that their biggest complication with twin births in her practice is hemorrhage.
Thats actually very reassuring...makes me feel less broken. No one ever mentioned the increased risk to me throughout the pregnancy so it was a HUGE surprise when it happened and I spent the first pp month trying to figure out why my body failed me at that time after I did so well the entire pregnancy (making it 38.5 weeks with great sized twins).
#6 of 19 Old 03-10-2008, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I didn't have a flood, but I did have persistent bleeding after delivery from what a doctor described as a "small but persistent spot" in the back of the uterus that would not firm up.

We tried nursing and about 45 minutes of uterine massage. (I know there are conflicting opinions about uterine massage, but being in-hospital, we didn't exactly have access to homeopathic remedies). During that time, Doctor removed soupy clots manually 3 or 4 times while checking me. Uterus would clamp down with massage, but got all "boggy" again instantly when massage was stopped for even several seconds.

When the doctor estimated that blood loss was apx 800ml and we were 50 minutes after delivery of the placenta, I agreed to pharmaceutical measures.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#7 of 19 Old 03-10-2008, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I didn't have a flood, but I did have persistent bleeding after delivery from what a doctor described as a "small but persistent spot" in the back of the uterus that would not firm up.

We tried nursing and about 45 minutes of uterine massage. (I know there are conflicting opinions about uterine massage, but being in-hospital, we didn't exactly have access to homeopathic remedies). During that time, Doctor removed soupy clots manually 3 or 4 times while checking me. Uterus would clamp down with massage, but got all "boggy" again instantly when massage was stopped for even several seconds.

When the doctor estimated that blood loss was apx 800ml and we were 50 minutes after delivery of the placenta, I agreed to pharmaceutical measures.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#8 of 19 Old 03-10-2008, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I had heavy bleeding but felt like the nurse wasn't really paying attention to it. When I called the mw she very quickly put 5 or 6 pills in my rectum to quickly stop the bleeding. I also had pit for 24 (12?) hours after their birth. Does anyone know what it might have been? I guess it could have been taken orally but this worked much faster. (warning-tmi- My rectum hasn't been the same since. Maybe it was the birth, but I blame those pills. Frequent rectal bleeding even 8 months pp. I have to avoid really spicy food or it bleeds heavily for a few days.)

I don't think the next birth would be impacted by heavy bleeding with the twins. Your mindset may be different but I don't think your body would be with one placenta.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#9 of 19 Old 03-11-2008, 08:58 AM

I bled a lot after my babies birth, I had a shot of pitocin, then had to have two doses of methergine 7(?) hours apart. The bleeding really eased up once I was able to pee, which took a while as I couldn't stand up to go to the bathroom because I was too weak, and couldn't relax enough to just pee anywhere.
#10 of 19 Old 03-11-2008, 10:58 AM

I hemorrahged very badly, but it was a c-section, so I don't know if that makes a difference. They basically tried all the drugs (pitocin, some suppositories, and some other stuff) to get it to stop, which it eventually did. I required a transfusion of 4 units of blood.

I also was not aware that this is a possible complication with twins. My ob's explanation was that my uterus was so overstretched that it could not contract adequately.
#11 of 19 Old 03-11-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post
Does anyone know what it might have been? I guess it could have been taken orally but this worked much faster. (warning-tmi- My rectum hasn't been the same since. Maybe it was the birth, but I blame those pills. Frequent rectal bleeding even 8 months pp. I have to avoid really spicy food or it bleeds heavily for a few days.)
It was probably cytotec. It's given rectally to stop PP hemorrhage.
#12 of 19 Old 03-11-2008, 02:07 PM

No, I didn't. My midwife gave me an herbal concoction to drink immediately after the afterbirth to prevent hemorrhaging. It really worked wonders.

Sorry you had to deal with that.
#13 of 19 Old 03-11-2008, 02:48 PM

I did - my mw estimated it was about 700cc's which is less than you loose with your average c-section (but still not good). I ended up having a couple IM shots of pit and one of meth plus a cathetar since I couldn't get myself to pee (that seemed to really help). I also did IV fluids to make me feel better after all that. I had no problem with hemmorage with either of my singleton births. I bet you'll be fine next time.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#14 of 19 Old 03-11-2008, 05:24 PM

I also bled a lot. I was pretty anemic for awhile after the birth. My mw treated me with herbs, but in retospect, I actually wish she had also given me some pitocin. I had milk supply issues which I might have had anyway, but I think starting out anemic was not helpful.

I am certain your bleeding was because of carrying twins. Once we saw my gigantic fused placenta, it was easy to see why I bled so much. The attachment point must have been enormous. My mw also said it is the most common complication she sees with twins.

Hope that gives you some peace of mind.

Trying to get my bearings...
#15 of 19 Old 03-11-2008, 05:37 PM

Jenny, my midwives gave me some homeopathic drops of something (not sure what it was) but they also did the pit after I had that big gush.

Blessed mama of four
::
#16 of 19 Old 03-11-2008, 11:27 PM

I wish my doctors had told me of this complication. If I would have known, I would have had my own blood, or my nephew's blood, waiting for me. I had to get two units after the birth of my twins. That was the only complication I had at all. I even had a very easy pregnancy.
#17 of 19 Old 03-12-2008, 03:51 AM

I bled less with my twins than I did with my singletons. Postpartum regular bleeding was for longer though.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#18 of 19 Old 03-29-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyc View Post
I had a LOT of bleeding after, but most of that was because I had some clots that were keeping the cervix/uterus from closing down. After my midwife went in and manually removed them (OW!) it got MUCH better almost instantly.
Omg-they did that when I hemorrhaged after my 3rd and that was probably some of the worst pain I've had! Evil! Evil I tell you! And it didnt help me either which made it that much worse, lol.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#19 of 19 Old 03-30-2008, 10:34 PM

I did but not until 6 hrs after the birth. I had total normal amounts and then I suddenly had a big gush. My mw was still there and gave me 2 shots of pit and it was fine. I was very anemic too for a while but I think I was pretty anemic to start with.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page