Parents of multiples...need stroller help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-19-2008, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have three kids- 4yrs to 6 weeks.

Are there any strollers out there that all 3 can fit in somehow ...someway but yet still be pushable??

I saw somewhere a side by side jogging type stroller that had an option for a seat above the two side by side for a toddler. I can't remember where it was and can't find it again.

Proud Mom of 3 Boys expecting boy #4 June 2012 - Founder of Dinker & Giggles - http://DinkerAndGiggles.com
Doula - Babywearing Activist - Lactation & Childbirth Educator [In-Training]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2008, 11:28 AM

The Valco Twin in Trimode. Roll over the pictures to see it with the toddler seat attached!

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
Old 03-19-2008, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmvh View Post
The Valco Twin in Trimode. Roll over the pictures to see it with the toddler seat attached!
Do you have this stroller???

Is it hard to push with all three kids in it?? Is it bulky and not practicable for long shopping trips with tight isles??

Proud Mom of 3 Boys expecting boy #4 June 2012 - Founder of Dinker & Giggles - http://DinkerAndGiggles.com

Old 03-19-2008, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Yikes...that stroller is $700!

I was hoping for less than $300 as that is the amount we were gifted towards a stroller.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkerngiggles View Post
Do you have this stroller???

Is it hard to push with all three kids in it?? Is it bulky and not practicable for long shopping trips with tight isles??
I have this stroller. It pushes surprisingly well for the size and weight of the thing. I can even manage it one handed. I used it in the mall once and it did fine. I had trouble with it in some stores that are just crowded to begin with (like Gymboree), but othewise it did well.

Yes it's expensive.

For cheaper strollers, look at the Joovy. I believe they make a two seater with a stand on option for the third spot. Kolcraft makes another for 3. But both are veeeerrry long and have upper weight limits of 45 lbs per child. I believe Babies R Us sells both.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:51 AM

Hey there!!! I am from Pittsburgh originally!!! Hoping to move back this year :

Anyway. I have a 4yo and will be having twins in 20 days. When we were looking at strollers we did consider the fact that our son still likes to ride sometimes... which ruled out the Kolcraft Contours Options - seats are TINY. We looked at the Joovy Big Caboose but it was like steering a PAT bus and we don't really know we'll get THAT much use out of it.

We ended up finding a used Peg Perego Duette which will hold a 45 pound child - nice big seats - for $150 and the thinking is the twins will ride in it but one can be "worn" if our son wants to ride. Just not sure a triple stroller is worth it with this span of ages. In a few months he won't need it and we'll have a triple stroller for no good reason.

Not sure how active the Pgh craigslist is but we found our stroller on the SF craigslist.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
Old 03-20-2008, 02:59 AM

I have the Valco single and I love it. You could actualy use the single for three ig you had to. Most four year old scan walk so the do not need a seat. You could put teh hitch hiker on teh back for the four year old teh 2 year old on the toddler seat that mounts on top and teh baby in the stroller. It may be to heavy. Maybe you could try one at a store>

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
Old 03-20-2008, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

I need to find a store that has this stroller.....

I think that's the only way I'll know before having my mom spend this kind of money on a stroller for us. I was actually thinking about the Twin one so I'll have the side by side for the two younger ones and then get the infant attachment so if my oldest does need to ride (long days) then the two oldest can sit side by side and the baby can be on the attachment.

We do a lot of long days in the summer going to markets and such. Also since I'm on a weight loss mission I plan on LOTS of long walks and I don't know if he could handle that much walking and I don't always want to wear the baby either.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainaFrederick View Post
I need to find a store that has this stroller.....

I think that's the only way I'll know before having my mom spend this kind of money on a stroller for us. I was actually thinking about the Twin one so I'll have the side by side for the two younger ones and then get the infant attachment so if my oldest does need to ride (long days) then the two oldest can sit side by side and the baby can be on the attachment.

We do a lot of long days in the summer going to markets and such. Also since I'm on a weight loss mission I plan on LOTS of long walks and I don't know if he could handle that much walking and I don't always want to wear the baby either.
Waaaaaaaaait a minute. The two oldest? The baby? You don't have twins? I assumed you had 6 week old twins and a 4yo. That changes things a little. My problem finding a good stroller is none of the ones we have looked at are really TWIN strollers (the tandems at least) because both seats won't accomadate an infant without a bucket and I don't want to have to use a bucket to use the stroller. So you have way more options than i thought.

As for the Valco - I have seen it in person - the twin one. Saw it at a fancy baby store in San Jose. It was ... eh. Maybe I'd have liked it had they not also had the Baby Jogger City Series Elite Double - which is also $600-$700 - but that one is really, really nice. They're comparable but the Valco just seems ... I don't know. It's not as nice. but they are both HUGE and bulky so forget about going shopping with them IMO. There are no attachments for the Baby Jogger that I know of but truthfully I don't see a kid being happy in the Valco toddler attachment for long! Maybe the infant insert because they wouldn't know better but... I don't know.

So here's what I think you need to consider. Does your 4yo even tolerate being in a stroller for long? Mine does NOT. My days of long exercise walks with him are over. I still try to drag him out sometimes but he starts to complain and I usually end up taking him home when I am halfway done - I just have a trek around the neighborhood I do, about 3 miles, lots of back and forths, so stopping back at home is not a huge deal. Even in the Baby Jogger which he fit nicely in and says he loved - I don't see him tolerating it for long. So mainly I walk by myself these days. So you may be thinking a stroller for three kids will let you walk off weight with three kids... but the oldest kid might not be so in to it.

I walked off all my pregnancy weight and then some just walking with my son in the stroller when he was an infant - I hope to walk my way in to shape again with these two - but I really don't see my 4yo standing for it. I mean I would go out for 4-5 miles... or 3 miles, twice a day... a baby won't complain but a preschooler will get restless and bored. I figure it will be easier for me to walk when I can leave my son with DH or my son is in school (he is in preschool and thank god they have a summer session...)

So... before you spend all this money on a stroller that will hold 3 kids... I'd think about whether it's really gonna work out how you plan.

btw - the single stroller I used with my son was a Graco Quattro. I loooooved that thing. We still use it from time to time. Solid, built like a tank, big basket. I wish the Quattro Duo were more suited to twins but it's not - otherwise I might consider it. But it might work for your needs.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
Old 03-20-2008, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
AlainaFrederick - Just to clarify about your plan, the Valco does need a separate attachment to accommodate an infant carrier. But you cannot put the infant carrier on the stroller while the toddler seat is attached as well. It's one or the other. And I don't believe there is any way for an infant carrier to ride in the toddler seat, at least not safely.

I do think it's a good idea to consider what your particular needs are. My almost 4 yo LOVES going for walks. The Valco is perfect for us, easy in and out for her. She starts riding, when we get to the walking trail she hops out and runs around, collecting things, etc. If she gets tired I put her back in. We walked a ton last summer, almost every day. Great way to get some energy back and loose weight. And I'm all for baby wearing, but not in the 90+ degree humid summer we have. Just, um, no.

You can ask 10 different people what stroller they recommend, you'll get 10 different answers. I know lots of people like their Gracos, I couldn't stand mine. Awkward, cumbersome, fell apart, etc. I'm a stroller collector of sorts, the Valco was my 9th. Quality wise, it's the best I've had. Very well thought out design, imo. Storage galore. I've used it in a mall, at the farmer's market and a crowded zoo. It's a big stroller, but did fine.

That said, I will be buying my 10th stroller soon, . A smaller, lightweight double side by side with a board on the back for my oldest. The Valco is just too much stroller to get in and out of my van in the winter or for quick in and out trips.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

No I do not have twins...but I know that parents of mulitiples are the best at finding those hard to find strollers

Currently we have a Joovy stroller...one where a child can sit in the front then behind them a child can stand or be back to back and sit....Our kids LOVE this stroller. I however do not. As I have to wear the baby and I don't want to be wearing the baby when I'm doing some serious walking getting all sweaty. Both of the older boys do not mind strollers...as long as they can see they are fine. Even for long days. Before the baby was born we went to a number of places where they were in the stroller for quite a while and never bothered them they thought it was great to look around at everything.

I was thinking the Valco one as the two older ones could sit side by side with the infant in the infant attachment then when he got older then the two younger ones could be side by side and perhaps by then Hunter would be old enough to handle LONG walks and not run off...if not then we could upgrade to the toddler seat attachment

I've had the tandem strollers and such and just find them so hard to push the way the weight is distributed and they fall apart so darn fast it's retarded...we barely get four months out of them before they start loosing pieces and it's time for the recycling bin

User Tag List