My weight has plateaued .... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 10 Old 03-19-2008, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
 
DiannaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would you be concerned??? I was gaining like gang busters, but now, have sort of stopped. I'm not going backwards, but just not moving up.
Started out at 116, lost down to 113, and now am at 148/149. Thoughts??

My appetite is diminishing ..... my thirst is DEFINITELY not ... just call me water girl!!

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

DiannaK is offline  
#2 of 10 Old 03-19-2008, 06:21 PM
 
mamaof5boys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My LO's are now 11 months so the pregnancy seems so long ago!! My high risk OB told me I needed to gain 40-50 pounds because I was quite underweight when I got pregnant. I ended up gaining exactly 45 pounds. With my singleton pregnancies I gained 40. I never really worried about weight gain because I felt like as long as I was eating healthy (or at least trying) my body would get what it needed.

Are your appointments going okay as far as measurement/US (if you've had one)? You may have slowed at this point because things are so squished inside and there's less room. I remember needing to eat lots of smaller meals throughout the day so I didn't feel so sick from eating too much.

Sound like you're doing a fantastic job growing those babies!! How exciting for you- enjoy every minute of rest you can get!!
mamaof5boys is offline  
#3 of 10 Old 03-19-2008, 07:44 PM
 
mamaeliz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, when I was 29 weeks or so, I got the flu, and had a good 2 weeks of not eating very much, compared to where I was. The funny part is that the nauseau only lasted a day or two, but the rest of the time with a cough and exhaustion, I still had no appetite. I think I even dropped a few pounds in that time. I was disappointed as I was so impressed with my weight gain, and my healthy eating habits. Now I'm 32 1/2 weeks and my appetite is coming back nicely. I stopped counting protein amounts, though I think I'm doing pretty good, not perfect, but good. The babies squirm A LOT just before and after I eat. It feels like having hungry babies on the outside who let you know when they are hungry, get some good energy and conk out again
Anyways, what did help is that I do want to leave open a homebirth option (although this part is important wherever I birth), and I want to have back-up reserves to sustain me through the delivery, and hopefully iron rich blood that will help me to not hemorrhage dangerously. So.... I totally understand your plight, and part of me was wondering how long I could keep up the high volume of food, I think you just lose steam somewhere in there. Hope you get to leave work soon, and start taking it easy. I know there is the insurance piece for you, so I hope that will all work out.
mamaeliz is offline  
#4 of 10 Old 03-19-2008, 08:04 PM
 
Intertwined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In the midst of Twinsanity
Posts: 3,029
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mine has stalled too! I talked to my chiro today because I weighed and it hadn't budged. She said I'm OBVIOUSLY growing (like freaking gangbusters) and the only sure way to know would be to monitor my body fat and watch it go down. She said instead, my growth scan next week should put my mind at rest. It's normal for ME to not gain much to anything in the 3rd trimester. And I'm still eating/drinking well. So they are taking everything I'm putting in and whatever I had stored in my buttocks! Seriously, my butt is getting smaller!
Intertwined is offline  
#5 of 10 Old 03-20-2008, 01:14 AM
 
MamaRainebeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I put on weight easily enough, but my MFM strongly suggested "protein therapy" in the form of 3 high protein Boosts a day. Each has 15 g of protein and everything else in it is ballanced for optimum whatever. The MFM said it is more common than not for pregnant women to be protein and calcium deficient during pregnancy - even if they are eating like crazy. I had fluid issues at the time (poly/oli twins) but just srtingently drinking the Boosts and resting was enough to start the turn around for us and help me gain55lbs. I too plateaued but just tried to keep up the protein...
MamaRainebeau is offline  
#6 of 10 Old 03-20-2008, 01:53 AM
 
RunnerDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 34 weeks and weight has been the same the last 3 weeks which is fine with me. Total gain 32-34 pounds - I was chubby to begin with (5'4, 150). I'll be happy to stay here till delivery.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
RunnerDuck is offline  
#7 of 10 Old 03-20-2008, 12:24 PM
 
hotmamacita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 7,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiannaK View Post
Would you be concerned??? I was gaining like gang busters, but now, have sort of stopped. I'm not going backwards, but just not moving up.
Started out at 116, lost down to 113, and now am at 148/149. Thoughts??

My appetite is diminishing ..... my thirst is DEFINITELY not ... just call me water girl!!
Drink that water. Don't worry about your weight. But do worry about WHAT you are eating? Do you eat any sugar? If so, don't eat anymore. Make every bite either protein or green leafy veggies. Sugar will seriously mess things up. Up your protein and iron intake. When I say iron make sure its in a form your body can absorb like green leafies, liver (pate), etc.

if you do eat sugar, please get your levels checked and consider dropping any and all sugar and white bread from your diet asap.
hotmamacita is offline  
#8 of 10 Old 03-20-2008, 04:49 PM
 
cdahlgrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nope. They babies are taking up a lot of room, it is hard to put food in there too! Just make sure to keep eating plenty of calories, drink water, and rest! Smoothies with a little protien powder and sesame butter really helped keep up my calories those last few weeks.

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
cdahlgrd is offline  
#9 of 10 Old 03-21-2008, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
 
DiannaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRainebeau View Post
I put on weight easily enough, but my MFM strongly suggested "protein therapy" in the form of 3 high protein Boosts a day. Each has 15 g of protein and everything else in it is ballanced for optimum whatever. The MFM said it is more common than not for pregnant women to be protein and calcium deficient during pregnancy - even if they are eating like crazy. I had fluid issues at the time (poly/oli twins) but just srtingently drinking the Boosts and resting was enough to start the turn around for us and help me gain55lbs. I too plateaued but just tried to keep up the protein...
I do a protein powder that we got from Whole Foods ... it's delicious, and if I drink the whole pitcher that we make, it's 44g of protein, plus another 10-20g for the milk.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaof5boys View Post

Are your appointments going okay as far as measurement/US (if you've had one)? You may have slowed at this point because things are so squished inside and there's less room. I remember needing to eat lots of smaller meals throughout the day so I didn't feel so sick from eating too much.

Sound like you're doing a fantastic job growing those babies!! How exciting for you- enjoy every minute of rest you can get!!
U/S are going fine .... babies are right in the 50th percentiles, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post
I am 34 weeks and weight has been the same the last 3 weeks which is fine with me. Total gain 32-34 pounds - I was chubby to begin with (5'4, 150). I'll be happy to stay here till delivery.
My goal for myself is at least 40 lbs. Being short (5 foot), I really don't like gaining all this weight, but I feel like it's important for the children. First PG out of the gate, with DD#1, I gained 44 lbs. Of course, that was mostly junk food!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmamacita View Post
Drink that water. Don't worry about your weight. But do worry about WHAT you are eating? Do you eat any sugar? If so, don't eat anymore. Make every bite either protein or green leafy veggies. Sugar will seriously mess things up. Up your protein and iron intake. When I say iron make sure its in a form your body can absorb like green leafies, liver (pate), etc.

if you do eat sugar, please get your levels checked and consider dropping any and all sugar and white bread from your diet asap.
Passed GD test with flying colors, but I am anemic, so I'm taking Floradix.
I've pretty good about not eating a lot of crap with this PG. LOTS of protein ... eggs, my protein shakes, lots of turkey, yogurt, etc.

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

DiannaK is offline  
#10 of 10 Old 03-21-2008, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
 
DiannaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaeliz View Post
A So.... I totally understand your plight, and part of me was wondering how long I could keep up the high volume of food, I think you just lose steam somewhere in there. Hope you get to leave work soon, and start taking it easy. I know there is the insurance piece for you, so I hope that will all work out.
I counted it up the other day, and I have between 12 and 16 shifts left to work. (depends on if I deliver between 36-38 weeks). So now, when I go to work, I just think .... I only have to come in 15 more times!! I'm now the triage queen, which means I sit out front, and interview the patients coming in. Then, I call back in the back to the other nurses, for them to come and get the patients. I think I can do this for 15 more shifts. I'm holding out as long as I can.

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

DiannaK is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off