How are all my PG twin momma buddies?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 87 Old 04-02-2008, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So ... how are we all feeling, and where are we, in the waiting game??

I'm 31 1/2 weeks .... woo hoo! I'm still just as tired as ever ... back pain is the same, and now my pelvic bones are ACHING. I feel like there's a bowling ball pushing on the bones down there!!

We're still looking for a van .. this is DH's job, and he'd better get it done soon. This is his job, so I'm staying out of it.

Having a baby shower on Saturday ... woo hoo! I'm excited!!

Back to the doctor on Tues, for a growth scan, and visit with the OB. Next week is also Spring Break, which I'm feeling guilty over. I just don't have the energy to take DD#1 anywhere special. Next week is also DD#2's birthday .. but we are going to have her party later on in April, so we can have it outside at a park.

OK .... how are things going for ya'll??

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#2 of 87 Old 04-02-2008, 05:53 PM

Hi Dianna! I'm sorry you have aches & pains. Have you tried some yoga/stretching or swimming? I find that those help me. Are you still working in the ER? I can't imagine at 31+ weeks!

We're at 36 1/2 weeks - woo hoo! At the least I'm requesting that the sprouts stay in until this Sunday, 37 weeks. I'm doing well... just tired (not that having the babies will fix this ). BH contrax have picked up a bit and for the past 2 weeks I've been feeling some cervical twinges. The babies dropped even more a few days ago... so things are moving along!

I'm still waiting for the rest of the birthing supplies to arrive in the mail, though we inflated our 'laboring' pool last weekend and have a lot of the basics ready. So it's just up to me to keep doing visualizations and practicing relaxation techniques. I also feel confident with both the MW team and the back-up OB, which is a great place to be.

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#3 of 87 Old 04-02-2008, 06:53 PM

What a great idea to have a check-in. I think of you all often, and wonder if your experiences are similar to mine. I don't have much to post lately, which is good, because I feel like I don't have any issues to resolve. I feel so fortunate that this pregnancy is going so well. The babies are measuring ahead weight-wise and so far I don't even have swelling! My sacrum has been challenging for the entire pregnancy, but I do yoga, get acupuncture and chiropractic, and for the most part, do just fine with it.
My latest challenge is getting up in the morning, as my Sierra (baby A) lodges herself VERY low in my pelvis at nite, so I literally can't get up without a lot of position changing to get her to move up a little. I had my first "check" the other day, and my back-up/consult peri touched her head. Now my DH wants to!
I guess I'm in a strange place where I've been so surrounded by a lot of love and support throughout the pregnancy, that I've just been sailing along, and now the reality of two newborns is settling in. My DD who will be 4 in July is very emotional (always has been) and last week when she cried literally 2 out of every 10 minutes, I broke down in tears at the thought of adding two babies who will sooooo need me, to our family. Also, DD stopped nursing when I found out we were having twins, and I thought we were good to go. But she talks A LOT about sharing nursing with the twins. I'm afraid of that!!!
Lots of house projects are getting done, and it's soooo much more than when we had our first, but I feel very driven to get the house to where I will enjoy being in it 24/7 for the first 6 months!
I am staying open as to where I will birth these babies. A lot depends on when they will come, and a lot depends on what feels right at the given time. My thoughts are with the lot of you, and can't wait to hear more!!!!
#4 of 87 Old 04-02-2008, 07:26 PM

Hello. I'm 26 weeks today (feeling like 40 ). I've got some back pain when I get out of bed which happens often seeing as I have to pee 3-4 times/night. I used to get really bad hip and thigh pain but that seems to have lessened since I am taking more iron. My midwife thought the thigh muscle pain was due to that and I tend to agree. I'm still waiting to get the results of a blood draw taken yesterday to see my hemoglobin level. I was having a lot of breathlessness and lightheadedness as I stopped taking the iron pills (due to extreme nausea). Once I started a double dose of floravit I seemed to have bounced back so hopefully I can control it that way.

The weather is starting to get a bit nicer here so we can actually get outside a bit. I don't have much energy but at least I can get some fresh air and sunshine.

We bought our van a few weeks ago. It hasn't been driven a lot though. I will drive it more once we sell one of our other vehicles. They are cheaper to drive right now.

Healthcare-wise my next appointment is at 28 weeks where I will have another ultrasound. I'm looking forward to seeing how these two little ones have grown. I also have a huge list of things to ask the OB about regarding labour and delivery. Hopefully, he's not running late that day .

A baby shower! That would be nice. We're not having one but we have lots of friends who are giving us tons of clothes and their baby gear once they are done so I won't complain.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#5 of 87 Old 04-02-2008, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoy2 View Post
Hi Dianna! I'm sorry you have aches & pains. Have you tried some yoga/stretching or swimming? I find that those help me. Are you still working in the ER? I can't imagine at 31+ weeks!
Yup ... I'm still working .... if you want to call it that! I work 20 hours/week, and I've designated myself (with the blessing of my manager) as the triage nurse. Meaning, I no longer do any bedside nursing. I just triage patients, and then put them back in the waiting room. Then, I call back in the back, and get one of the techs, or another nurse to come and get them.
Right now, I'm doing 10 hour shifts ... I'm contemplating talking to my boss on Friday, to see about maybe switching it to shorter shifts.

I had all these grand ideas about going to yoga, and prenatal swim classes, but I just haven't made it there!! It's a 20 min drive to the fitness center, and I'm just SO TIRED!! I keep thinking at this point, I don't have much longer to go! I may get me one of those maternity back belt things. I did get a pillow from Brookstone; it's a lumbar pillow, that massages! Yay! I take it to work with me, as well as when I am driving.

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#6 of 87 Old 04-02-2008, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama to one View Post
Once I started a double dose of floravit I seemed to have bounced back so hopefully I can control it that way.

A baby shower! That would be nice. We're not having one but we have lots of friends who are giving us tons of clothes and their baby gear once they are done so I won't complain.
Is Floravit the same thing as Floradix?? I'm TRYING to get two doses in a day, as well ... I get short of breath, too. I'm probably going to con the lab girls at work into drawing my blood, to see where my Hgb/Hct are now. I'm scared to death of post partum hemmorrhage, after reading that thread here!!

Baby showers ... now I'm feeling guilty! I'm actually having 2 .. friends this weekend, and family in a few more weeks. Brett and I both have large families, and Brett's family likes to entertain. We're always getting together for something ... especially in the summer.

#7 of 87 Old 04-02-2008, 08:49 PM

I'm 16 weeks now and just trying to stay afloat with all the chaos at home.

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
#8 of 87 Old 04-02-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiannaK View Post
Is Floravit the same thing as Floradix?? I'm TRYING to get two doses in a day, as well ... I get short of breath, too. I'm probably going to con the lab girls at work into drawing my blood, to see where my Hgb/Hct are now. I'm scared to death of post partum hemmorrhage, after reading that thread here!!

Baby showers ... now I'm feeling guilty! I'm actually having 2 .. friends this weekend, and family in a few more weeks. Brett and I both have large families, and Brett's family likes to entertain. We're always getting together for something ... especially in the summer.
From what I understand floradix is the original and floravit is yeast and gluten-free. Everything else is the same. When I said double dose I meant 4/day as the bottle indicates 2/day. My OB recommended 600mg in iron pills but they caused a lot of nausea and heartburn. My midwife recommended the 4/day floravit as it has I think 87mg each dose and is much more absorbable. I'm feeling better and haven't had the lightheadedness although I still feel breathless a bit. But really, that could be just the size of my belly.

Enjoy those baby showers!

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#9 of 87 Old 04-03-2008, 10:12 AM

I'm 27 wks and doing great. Feeling good (albeit it large). No c/x, no aches or pains, no heartburn yet (by now I had it bad with my singleton).

I'm still working but I have a total desk job. I'm actually more rested on weekdays than on weekends. I plan to continue until the end if I'm still comfortable.

Here's a nutrition question for you all: Do you think weight gain or calorie/protein count should be the goal? I.e. do you still strive for the Dr. Luke 3500 cals if you're off her charts in terms of weight gain already? My MWs seem more concerned with lots of protein and normalish weight gain (35-45 lbs) than with the overall calorie count. Seems to make more sense to me.

I have to start getting baby stuff I really have nothing so far. Hope to pick some things at a twin sale and go from there.
#10 of 87 Old 04-03-2008, 11:55 AM

I'll be 32 weeks tomorrow. Claire is my baby A and she's all lined up with my pelvis now. Not quite engaged at my prenatal on Monday, but I think she dropped a bit that night. Ben is my baby B and he's now head down and likes to grind his head into my left hip. No baby, that's not the exit. You have to wait for your sister to leave.

Both babies are looking great. I was sick last week so my urine dip sucked dogs. I think I'm in better shape now because I'm not trying to keep up with two babies, myself, AND a stomach bug. Contractions keep hanging around. They come and go in intensity and frequency. I've been having a lot of mucousy discharge since Sunday, so perhaps we're starting to rev up for labor. Just 4 more weeks and I can breathe easier.

I am about sick of people "telling" me when they will be born. I'm not talking about fun guesses. I'm talking about people telling me "they will for sure be here soon, look at you!" or "there's no reason to think you won't carry them to your due date". Both things give me a heart attack! I don't want 33, 34, 35 week preemies but I don't really want to go to May 30th! How about a nice compromise of May 14th!!?? 37 weeks sounds nice and baked but not shoot myself crazy.

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to getting to 36 weeks so I can stop worrying about hospital birth.
#11 of 87 Old 04-03-2008, 11:55 AM

worcma, I never have counted calories, and stopped counting protein at this point (I'm almost 35 weeks), but I feel like I do as much as I can, and come pretty close. Earlier, I counted my protein "points", but now I have sooooo changed my eating to be mostly about protein, I just keep eating often, and always have protein. I know what packs the most punch protein-wise (try a greek yogurt smoothie with wheat germ, protein powder and milk (and fruit), and you'll get a great bang for your buck
I also never tracked fat, but I figured when you're eating red meat, cheese, eggs, etc, that you are getting enough fat. I focused instead on supplements and protein, and wellness care!!!!
#12 of 87 Old 04-03-2008, 12:08 PM

I do the same! I watch my protein, have a lot of smoothies, and make sure to get my supplements. I try to make sure some kind of veggies are going in my mouth daily and I have at LEAST a gallon of water a day or I pay the price (contractions, swelling, feel like crap).
#13 of 87 Old 04-03-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantelhayes View Post
37 weeks sounds nice and baked but not shoot myself crazy.
Seriously though, I'm looking forward to getting to 36 weeks so I can stop worrying about hospital birth.
OH, it's so nice to hear you say this about 37 weeks - I was starting to feel guilty for thinking that 37 weeks is okay. But it is, right?! And this means that maybe DH and I can DTD again starting this weekend...

Are you able to HB at 36 weeks? My MW will do 37 and up. You'll be past 36 weeks in no time!

#14 of 87 Old 04-03-2008, 06:59 PM

My midwife will deliver at home starting at 34 weeks.

I'm 29.3 weeks. And absolutely miserable :]. I've been so tired and have had tons of aches and pains since the very beginning.. as of lately i've been having tons of contractions.. today some actually hurt :/. I get so antsy when I'm in bed or laying on the couch. I've also been horrible with keeping track of my protein and water intake. I always throw up my vitamin and have been feeling like a very bad mom for not taking better care of myself.
#15 of 87 Old 04-03-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmama'08 View Post
My midwife will deliver at home starting at 34 weeks.

I'm 29.3 weeks. And absolutely miserable :]. I've been so tired and have had tons of aches and pains since the very beginning.. as of lately i've been having tons of contractions.. today some actually hurt :/. I get so antsy when I'm in bed or laying on the couch. I've also been horrible with keeping track of my protein and water intake. I always throw up my vitamin and have been feeling like a very bad mom for not taking better care of myself.

I'm sorry you aren't feeling so well. It sounds like you are a bit down in the dumps - do you have good books to read / movies to watch / quiet projects to do / friends to talk with? You need to rest and take care of your body.

When I was having tons of contractions, it was remedied by DRINKING WATER and relaxing/de-stressing and taking Cal/Mag/Zinc daily. So drink water. Always have a full glass next to you, and drink it. I actually carry a hiking bladder around the house with me and drink from it in addition to glasses (i wish it weren't plastic, but it's a sure-fire way to drink with a straw attached, and it measures my intake).

Can your MW recommend a vitamin that might be easier on your stomach? Or a combo of different vitamins taken throughout the day might be easier, with food.

I'm quite surprised that your MW would attend a homebirth at 34 weeks, as I have not known of twins born that early that didn't require NICU or special care nursery for some amount of time. Perhaps her experience is different, though I would encourage you to make sure you know what to expect (as much as you can) regarding the twins' gestational age, birthing time, and birth place. I say this because from what I have seen/read, I personally would not feel comfortable birthing at home much sooner than 37 weeks.

I hope you are able to feel more comfortable soon! Make your body your priority; you and the babies deserve it.

#16 of 87 Old 04-03-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Sorry you're feeling so awful - I feel pretty terrible, and I'll be 14w tomorrow!

I was at the high risk practice last week, and when I told them I couldn't even smell my prenatal without vomiting, they told me to go out and get flintstones children's vitamins. I did, and they're perfect - ridiculous, but perfect. I take 2 a day.

hope you feel better, mama!

As for me, this is my first check-in here, though I'm a daily lurker! I'm watching you other mamas with awe, because at 14w, I'm so worn down. The heartburn I've had for 10 weeks now is killing me. I'm ready for a script or at least something stronger than Tums.

Last week I had some unexplained bleeding, but the twins were fine at both ultrasounds. I had a few days of nothing, but now since Monday I've been spotting brown, especially in the mornings, despite being on pelvic rest. It's just not what I want to wake up to in the morning, you know?

Are there any other mamas here who are single? I pursued fertility treatment and was very surprised to have twins... I'd love to hear from others who are surviving the first few years of twins as a single mom.

Chantel, I subscribe to your blog, and you're my hero! You're doing great!!

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
#17 of 87 Old 04-03-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celesterra View Post
they told me to go out and get flintstones children's vitamins. I did, and they're perfect
That's what i was told to do.. I still can't stand them! It's awful..
#18 of 87 Old 04-03-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
aw, i'm sorry! hmmmm.... are you drinking ensure or boost? i bet that would actually have everything you need anyway. you'll get through, sweetie!

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
#19 of 87 Old 04-03-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoy2 View Post
Are you able to HB at 36 weeks? My MW will do 37 and up. You'll be past 36 weeks in no time!
Texas law says 36 weeks for home, though many providers have protocols at 37. My MW said 36 would be fine, but she'd really rather I carry them past 37 just to rule out those last few issues that sometimes crop up at 36 (mainly, suck issues). I'm good with 37-38 weeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by celesterra View Post
Chantel, I subscribe to your blog, and you're my hero! You're doing great!!
Awww, that's so cool! Thank you!

Quote:
Forget about that then. Just focus all your energy on eating LOTS of protein and get that gallon of water a day! At LEAST! I'm up way past that now, but my body is screaming MORE WATER!!!! When I don't get it, I am in bed with tons of contractions. I also take cal/mag, floradix, fish oil, probiotics, vit c, and something else I'm drawing a blank on. AND I see the chiro weekly. I have to say, if it wasn't for the sheer amount of weight in there now, I'd be more comfy than I have been in any of my previous pregnancies. Do it for yourself, if not for the babies. You'll have so much more energy and stamina if you take care of your body so it can take care of your babies. I know it's hard! I'm down to drinking most of my protein because I can't get over 100grams any other way.
#20 of 87 Old 04-03-2008, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by worcma View Post

Here's a nutrition question for you all: Do you think weight gain or calorie/protein count should be the goal? I.e. do you still strive for the Dr. Luke 3500 cals if you're off her charts in terms of weight gain already? My MWs seem more concerned with lots of protein and normalish weight gain (35-45 lbs) than with the overall calorie count. Seems to make more sense to me.
I try to shoot for lots of protein, and lots of water. I'm definitely NOT getting 3500 cal/day, and I'm probably no where near the protein reqs either, but I'm trying.
My appetite has really fallen off lately, which worries me, and my weight gain has sort of leveled off as well.

#21 of 87 Old 04-03-2008, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantelhayes View Post
I am about sick of people "telling" me when they will be born. I'm not talking about fun guesses. I'm talking about people telling me "they will for sure be here soon, look at you!" or "there's no reason to think you won't carry them to your due date". Both things give me a heart attack! I don't want 33, 34, 35 week preemies but I don't really want to go to May 30th! How about a nice compromise of May 14th!!?? 37 weeks sounds nice and baked but not shoot myself crazy.

I was about ready to knock people out at Easter, since they were driving me INSANE about the whole due date/have the babies thing. I swear, if I ever get PG again, I'm going to give the family a due date of 2 weeks early, just so they will stay off my back.

These were the Easter comments .....
What makes everyone else an expert on my PG????
ARGH!
"you really don't look that big, considering you're having twins" .. thanks, but I see myself in the mirror everyday. I know I'm huge.
"sure you don't have triplets in there?" ... ha ha .. that was not funny the FIRST time you said it, not to mention the 800 other times I've had to listen to you say that. (DH's BIL)
"Brett says these babies will be here in April" (from MIL) .. I certainly hope that my DH did not make that retarded comment, and no, April is MUCH too early. I don't want my babies in the NICU.
"when are you going to stop working?" .... when I go into labor, or am forced to by my doctor.
"you'll never make it til May" (DH's BIL again!) this guy just wasn't getting it that he was pissing me off. Yes, I certainly do intend to 'make it' til May. I'm shooting for Mother's Day weekend. Anything after that will be bonus points.

deep breath ..... only a few more weeks to put up with goofy PG comments ....
then we'll be getting advice on how to raise the babies!!!:

#22 of 87 Old 04-04-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I try to shoot for lots of protein, and lots of water. I'm definitely NOT getting 3500 cal/day, and I'm probably no where near the protein reqs either, but I'm trying.
My appetite has really fallen off lately, which worries me, and my weight gain has sort of leveled off as well.
Glad to hear it. I wasn't eating 2200 per day pre-PG though (which Luke said was the norm) so I figured there had to be some adjustment. Plus, I felt like cr&p trying to eat that many calories. Like everyday was post-Thanksgiving. I try to do lots of protein & water too and I feel like I've been pretty good about it.
#23 of 87 Old 04-05-2008, 01:35 PM

Hello,

I'm new here too... been lurking for a while! My PG has been fairly uneventful so far - I'm only 12 weeks tomorrow so... not much going on yet! (Knock on wood) I have not had morning sickness and haven't been too tired yet.

We got PG on clomid and are expecting our fraternal twins on Oct 20 (not likely, I realize, but that's the due date!)

I AM getting thicker in the waist area so I have started buying maternity clothes. It's fun! I'm planning to tell work I'm PG next week b/c it's getting harder to hide and I hear there are rumors going around... (annoys me but... people are excited and want to know...)

These will be our first kids and I'm pretty overwhelmed thinking about how in the world I'm going to take care of them. I'd like to breastfeed both and cloth diaper.. I know it's possible, I'm just trying to figure out where I'm going to find the energy to take care of 2! (This is must my perspective - I realize some of you have other kids too in addition to your twins! That's beyond comprehension for me...!)

I'm already learning tons from you ladies and look forward to learning more over the next 5-6 months! I know it will go fast...
#24 of 87 Old 04-05-2008, 02:40 PM

I did have to giggle at your post Jen. Oh how I WISH my twins had come first. Just think, all you have to do when they nap is SLEEP! How divine! No getting up to fetch and get for other kiddos, no other children to worry about the adjustment with, no running people hither and yon for various activities dragging newborn twins in the wake.....ahhhhh

Sorry, just thought I'd give you a littler perspective! You can do it!
#25 of 87 Old 04-06-2008, 12:36 AM

37 Weeks!!!

I'm going by EST time... the twins were likely conceived in Michigan, so I think it counts

:

#26 of 87 Old 04-06-2008, 09:20 AM

Wow kjoy!!! 37 weeks! How darned exciting! I hope to be in your shoes and making it to "term", although now I'm shooting for 38 weeks. Maybe I'm asking too much, but hey, why not!
So happy for you, please keep us updated!!!!!!
#27 of 87 Old 04-06-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
"you'll never make it til May"
NOT a pregnant mama right now, but I was due in May of last year, and EVERY time I heard this stupid comment, I was that much more determined to make it to May.

And I did.

So there!

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#28 of 87 Old 04-07-2008, 11:46 AM

I am 23 weeks and doing great. It is harder to breathe now, and I can't lay on my back at all. The babies are each measuring as big as singletons, which is awesome. I have no idea what my food intake is, but I know that the protein isn't 120 grams!

Someone asked me yesterday if I was due now....hmmmm, no, still have FOUR months left!! Hehe...

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#29 of 87 Old 04-07-2008, 05:25 PM

Hello all,

I'm new to this board. I'm 23 weeks along with twins - my little miracle babies! I was told I had a 0% chance of getting pregnant. This is my first pregnancy and, according to my doctors, things are going well. I'm not able to get in all of the recommended calories or protein. I just can't eat enough!

I'm a high school teacher and have already had to cut back to four days a week.
#30 of 87 Old 04-07-2008, 09:25 PM

Chantel - yes, I'm just getting over the shock and starting to believe I CAN do it! You and many other mamas are an inspiration to me!

kjoy2 - 37 weeks, awesome! Best of luck for a great delivery!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page