Nursing twins not going well - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 35 Old 04-08-2008, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Went out today and got More Milk Plus tincture and Goat's Rue (since no where local had the more milk special blend which is supposed to be good if you have PCOS - which i do - don't know that it's part of the nursing problem since it didn't affect nursing with my son but...) ... also some alfafa... and rented a Symphony. Have used the symphony only once so can't say how much better/worse it is than the Lactina but it did get me an ounce out when I thought I was empty so that's something.

It LOOKS prettier, LOL.

Shuli your mother bought you one??? Lucky!

Have been nursing Baby B a LOT today - not sure if it is good or bad. Not finding she had consumed a lot after she nurses despite being on a long time but... oh well. At least she's getting something and I am getting the stimulation.

Have been wondering if I'd be better off nursing the twins... then pumping 1 1/2 hours later... then nursing 1 1/2 hours later... etc rather than nursing/pumping every 3 hours. Would more frequent, shorter sessions of stimulation be better?? Or would emptying the boob [more or less] completely at each feed be better? Opinions? Going to call the LC tomorrow on that one.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 35 Old 04-09-2008, 10:37 AM

i had a breezy time with nursing (but i'll post anyway)
my girls never went three hours, and still rarely do at 18 months! i would say to nurse/pump more often. three just seems like an awful long time between feeding especially if they are not quite getting enough and you are concerned about growth and supply.
keep in mind my kids all were constant nursers. constant. so that is all i know. hang in there mama! so great that you are committed to this. it'll get easier and is totally worth all the hard work.
#33 of 35 Old 04-10-2008, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just thinking of you, sending : your way, and hoping that things are going better.

Obviously, your situation will differ from mine regarding gestational age, birthweight, etc. So all I'll throw in is the importance of trusting yourself about whether your babes are doing OK or not.

We went through a stressful month of self-induced insanity after consulting public health and a lactation consultant. Seems DH and I were a bit slow on the up-take that the twins might be different than our other "monster-sized" babies. Your comments about weighing after feeds, worrying about lengthy sleeps, and expending too much energy while nursing bring back lots of crappy, crappy memories.

May hours of peaceful, lovely-dovey nursing be yours!

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#34 of 35 Old 04-10-2008, 08:41 AM

Just wanted to offer more encouragement -- this is SUCH a challenging time! I'm also pumping and nursing newborn twins and it is harder than I possibly imagined. You're doing a GREAT job for your babies (AnnJay too!). Try to remember to take care of yourself, too. One night I was so exhausted I crashed -- and dh had to bottle-feed so I could take a break. I slept for six hours, totally missing a pumping session. But the next day I had MORE milk -- my body needed rest. Be gentle on yourself.
#35 of 35 Old 04-13-2008, 09:57 PM

I don't have twins..

But my DD and I had a really rough start to nursing. She was full term (born on her EDD) but she was SOOOOOO sleepy. She would sleep for 5 or 6 hours at a time.

Luckily my midwife clued me into the fact that wasn't good for establishing my supply.

But it was really really hard to wake her up enough to nurse. She would nurse for 2 or 3 minutes and then fall asleep.

We ended up having to strip her completely down to her diaper. (I would drape a blanket over to protect her from breezes - those would piss her off and she wouldn't nurse.) And then we would have a cool wet cloth that DH would put on her feet every time she would start to drop off. I would also 'pump' her arm - and that seemed to help. It took alot of effort to wake her up - often close to 45 minutes. Because we would start gently by just undressing her and putting her down - but for the first 3 or so week we almost always had to resort to the cool cloths on her feet.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page