Weight gain with twins? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 04-09-2008, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 19 wks w/twins, and I have gained 16 lbs so far (10 of those in the past month ) My midwife today seemed slightly concerned by this, and said that my weight gain with twins should only be about 10-15 lbs more than with a singleton, so around 50 lbs. Well, I promptly told her that I gained 50 with my son, so I am fully expecting to gain at least 60-70 with this pregnancy. Everything that I have read suggests that a 70 lb weight gain is perfectly normal, and expected, with twins. How much is a realistic/healthy weight gain with twins assuming you start the pregnancy at what is considered a 'normal' weight?

sarah, mama to e & j 8/08, and big brother 8/06
#2 of 15 Old 04-09-2008, 05:20 PM

You're mw is wrong. That might be the right number for some women, but certainly not a goal you should strive for. Check out Barbara Luke's book When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads and check out the info there on recommended weight gain for twins. I think she recommends 24 lbs by 24 weeks (something like that - someone else here will know for sure) but I don't remember if she has a specific end result for weight gain. It is very important though and the way you're looking at it (having gained 50 with a singleton so more like 70 with twins) is very reasonable. You just need to make sure that *what* you're eating is really healthy - loads of water & protein, etc. - and you'll do great. Weight gain is so different from person to person & pregnancy to pregnancy that I'm not a big fan of absolute numbers (I happened to gain less with my twins than I did with my first singleton and only slightly more than with my 2nd singleton) so you just never know. But what you *can* know is that if your diet is packed with nutrient rich, quality foods, then you're doing just fine.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#3 of 15 Old 04-09-2008, 05:23 PM

Hmmm... I thought 40-45 was about standard with twins. I gained 34 ...but delivered at 35 weeks.

I gained 30 with my son (singleton) so my weight gains each pregnancy were pretty similar... I had pre-e with the twins and was retaining a LOT of fluid so my weight gain probably would have been less with out the pre-e.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#4 of 15 Old 04-09-2008, 05:31 PM

I fully expected to double my normal weight gain with my twins and I'm within 2 pounds of that goal. I usually gain 15 pounds and I'm at 28 now at almost 33 weeks. And yet, I'm having a hard time putting any more poundage on these last weeks. It's incredibly frustrating.

I agree with previous posters, it's not about what the final number is so much that WHAT you are putting in your mouth is healthful, packed with protein, and that you are getting at least a gallon of water every single day. I think the recommendation is 3500 calories, and 175 grams of protein per day. I didn't have an issue meeting that until about 3 weeks ago. Now I'm down to about 120 grams of protein per day and probably more like 2800-3000 calories. It's dropping daily, which is why it's important to plump them up early before you lose your stomach space (and in my case, my hunger cues).

My twins were 3.5 pounds each at 30 weeks. I'm fully expecting them to be 5.5 pounds at my 35 week scan.
#5 of 15 Old 04-09-2008, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantelhayes View Post
I think the recommendation is 3500 calories, and 175 grams of protein per day.
That's another thing! I had read 120 grams of protein, and both midwives I have spoken to suggest 80-100 at the most. I feel like everywhere I turn I hear something different, so I am trying to just listen to my body and do the best I can :

sarah, mama to e & j 8/08, and big brother 8/06
#6 of 15 Old 04-09-2008, 07:26 PM

sarbear, I'm having similar experience to you. When I got pg, a friend gave me the book referred to above, and I went full steam ahead with the dietary recs. I've gained 18# so far, but I actually had to cut back how much I was eating because I was gaining *really fast*. Now I'm gaining about a pound a week, so I think I'd better increase just a little again...

But my medical experience has been like yours. When I went first to my OB and then to Maternal and Fetal Med, they BOTH recommended weight gain of TWENTY FIVE TO THIRTY FIVE POUNDS! I was shocked and disappointed in their position. They dismissed Dr. Luke's research, but maybe because I'm still early, they haven't commented on my current weight gain.

I decided to follow my intuition. I have PCOS, and so I don't think I'll ever make it to 3500 calories, etc, without gaining about twice the weight I want.

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
#7 of 15 Old 04-09-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbear View Post
That's another thing! I had read 120 grams of protein, and both midwives I have spoken to suggest 80-100 at the most. I feel like everywhere I turn I hear something different, so I am trying to just listen to my body and do the best I can :
Protein recs are all over the place I've noticed. Dr. Brewer's singleton pregnancy recommendation is 80-100 grams I believe. My mw personally recommended (for my twin pregnancy) that I eat between 100 and 120 grams a day. But that's lower than most I hear around here.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#8 of 15 Old 04-09-2008, 08:47 PM

80-100 is what I consider the gold star for a singleton, so 175 never phased me I guess? My midwife said 100 or above as a minimum. She'd really like me to get the max I can right now since pre-e is such a concern late in twin pregnancies. I'm drinking two double shakes a day and it's getting me to my goals despite small stomach space.
#9 of 15 Old 04-09-2008, 11:11 PM

I gained 80+ lbs. I focused on the 176g of protein and never bothered counting calories. I figured if I was getting that much protein I was getting enough calories for sure.

I switched health care providers at 30ish weeks having gained already 50lbs and he asked if I was sure I was eating enough. I knew he was the doc for me at that moment. I would not stay with a provider who was worried about too much weight gain.
#10 of 15 Old 04-10-2008, 12:08 AM

Wow!! I'm really suprised to hear a MW not encouraging weight gain (unless it is weight gain from unhealthy food). Even with my singleton, the motto was, eat to hunger and drink to thirst. With this twin pregnancy, my MW said 120-150 in 1st and 2nd trimester, and 175 in 3rd. My 2 MWs have never read Dr. Luke, and my perinatologist gave her research not much credit. He feels that the issue is not necessarily during the pregnancy, as much as having the stamina to nurse after they are born. Personally, I took the experiences of so many wise women on this board who really believed in the high protein/leafy greens, and tons of water philosophy and ran with it.
I was pretty hungry, especially in early pregnancy, and it felt right to feed that hunger. I also found that my diet became a lot cleaner by focusing on protein, as I didn't crave much sugar.
I am about 35 1/2 weeks and have gained about 60 pounds. I actually thought I would hit 175 by delivery, but things slowed down somewhere along the way. I hit the 24 pds at 24 weeks, and every u/s has shown good weight gain in the babies. Based on their growth, I think they are about 5 1/2 and 6 pds now. I think that what you eat is so important, and I really have found that now, late in pregnancy, the protein and water really affect if I have swelling in my feet. I have had virtually none, except for when I slack on the protein or water. I have felt pretty great the whole pregnancy and have had no problems, so who knows!!! Good luck to you and glad you found this board
#11 of 15 Old 04-10-2008, 12:49 AM

Keep eating the good stuff!

I gained 60 lbs by the time I delivered at 36 weeks. My babies were 6 lbs 1 oz and 6 lbs 3 ozs and perfectly healthy -- went home with me two days later, no NICU.

Fwiw, I lost 30 lbs within 5 days of delivery and now, 5 weeks later, I've lost a total of 45 lbs. I am breastfeeding/pumping and am still concerned about eating enough!
#12 of 15 Old 04-10-2008, 09:40 AM

I'm 32 1/2 weeks, and have gained 36 lbs. I set myself a goal of a weight gain of 40 lbs after reading the Dr Luke book. I try to focus on protein, and lots of water. At the babies growth scan on Tues, they weighed 4lb 20z, and 4lb 4 oz ... so I know I'm doing something right!!

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#13 of 15 Old 04-10-2008, 12:05 PM

I'm 37.5 weeks and have gained 50 lbs of all belly (after losing 5 in the first trimester). Between weeks 12-19 I gained 20 lbs - so do not worry about gaining more than 1 pound in a week; some weeks are like that, while others you may not gain at all. My weight gain has definitely slowed down over the past weeks, so gain early while you still can! I counted protein for a long time until I got an idea of what to eat every day to reach anywhere between 110-150 grams. I never counted calories.

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#14 of 15 Old 04-10-2008, 02:37 PM

I'm 17 weeks and have gained 17 lbs so far-almost the same as you. With my 2 singletons I gained 50 lbs each and with my last set of twins I gained almost 90 lbs. The actual weight gain is not as important as the quality and quantity of what you're eating. Like others have said, 176g of protein is a good goal. I didn't reach it often but usually averaged around 150g a day last time. This time I'm not counting because I pretty much just know how much I need to eat and I'm adding a bit extra since I'm nursing twins too.

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
#15 of 15 Old 04-10-2008, 08:31 PM

I am currently struggling with gaining weight. I've read Dr. Luke's book and all the advice here. My problem is the constant nausea that I get during pregnancies. I am forcing myself to eat but I just feel so sick all the time. I'm pushing the protein as much as I can. The good news is that I am 26 weeks and have gained 33lbs. I think Dr. Luke says a good goal is 38lbs by 28 weeks. So, I'm not that far off. Plus I only gained 30lbs by the end of my singleton pregnancies and had babies that were 7lbs, 5oz's and 7lbs, 14-1/2oz's. I figure I hopefully still have quite a few weeks to go to put on more weight. I'm looking forward to the ultrasound next week though to verify babies weights. I'm hoping they are at least 2-1/2 to 3lbs. I would not worry about gaining too much weight. I actually look forward to seeing that number rise every week .

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page